NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress”

+4
Ben Reilly
The Devil, You Know
Original Quill
eddie
8 posters

Go down

Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress” Empty Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress”

Post by eddie Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:06 am

“One of the things we’re going to be spending time on, through the foundation, is finding ways in which we can study this phenomenon of social media and the internet to see are there ways in which we can bring people from different perspectives to start having a more civil debate and listen to each other more carefully,” he said.
~ Barack Obama

The former US president said his nonprofit foundation could create ‘up and coming leaders’ to take on the baton of ‘human progress’

Barack Obama has said he would like to create “a million young Barack Obamas” to take on the baton of “human progress”, during a discussion in Japan about his post-presidential life.

“The single most important thing I could do is to help develop the next generation,” he said.

The former US president said his nonprofit the Obama Foundation could create a “platform for young, up-and-coming leaders” to exchange information with each other about projects they were working on.

“If I could do that effectively, then – you know – I would create a hundred or a thousand or a million young Barack Obamas or Michelle Obamas,” Obama told a conference in Tokyo. “Or, the next group of people who could take that baton in that relay race that is human progress.”

Obama also discussed the problem of social media walling off readers according to their political views.

“One of the things we’re going to be spending time on, through the foundation, is finding ways in which we can study this phenomenon of social media and the internet to see are there ways in which we can bring people from different perspectives to start having a more civil debate and listen to each other more carefully,” he said.

READ MORE: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/25/obama-wants-to-develop-a-million-young-barack-obamas

I find this very interesting. I’ve never disliked him per se but I’ve never really been a massive fan - I think my actual words were “He’s a bit plastic” (and I always thought he should have and could have done more about education among other really important issues, these were important things to tackle) - but....reading this, I am impressed.
And interested.

I will watch with interested eyes and ears.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress” Empty Re: Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress”

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:08 am

I think a nice study platform is a good idea for him.  He's probably the most intelligent president we've had, a great communicator and a wonderful moral leader.

But he lacked huevos when it comes to politics.  FGS, letting Richard Cheney go, without prosecution?  The Democratic Party today needs people who will grab Republicans, cut their nuts off, and hang then stanchions around town.  Neuter 'em and whip 'em like dogs...that's the only language that Republicans speak.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress” Empty Re: Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress”

Post by The Devil, You Know Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 am

eddie wrote:“One of the things we’re going to be spending time on, through the foundation, is finding ways in which we can study this phenomenon of social media and the internet to see are there ways in which we can bring people from different perspectives to start having a more civil debate and listen to each other more carefully,” he said.
~ Barack Obama

The former US president said his nonprofit foundation could create ‘up and coming leaders’ to take on the baton of ‘human progress’

Barack Obama has said he would like to create “a million young Barack Obamas” to take on the baton of “human progress”, during a discussion in Japan about his post-presidential life.

“The single most important thing I could do is to help develop the next generation,” he said.

The former US president said his nonprofit the Obama Foundation could create a “platform for young, up-and-coming leaders” to exchange information with each other about projects they were working on.

“If I could do that effectively, then – you know – I would create a hundred or a thousand or a million young Barack Obamas or Michelle Obamas,” Obama told a conference in Tokyo. “Or, the next group of people who could take that baton in that relay race that is human progress.”

Obama also discussed the problem of social media walling off readers according to their political views.

READ MORE: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/25/obama-wants-to-develop-a-million-young-barack-obamas

I find this very interesting. I’ve never disliked him per se but I’ve never really been a massive fan - I think my actual words were “He’s a bit plastic” (and I always thought he should have and could have done more about education among other really important issues, these were important things to tackle) - but....reading this, I am impressed.
And interested.

it's heartening when a poor black man with only a $3million fortune can turn it into a $40million fortune in a mere 8 years.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 am

Original Quill wrote:I think a nice study platform is a good idea for him.  He's probably the most intelligent president we've had, a great communicator and a wonderful moral leader.

But he lacked huevos when it comes to politics.  FGS, letting Richard Cheney go, without prosecution?  The Democratic Party today needs people who will grab Republicans, cut their nuts off, and hang then stanchions around town.  Neuter 'em and whip 'em like dogs...that's the only language that Republicans speak.
yes the new nazi's would be very good at that
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:
eddie wrote:“One of the things we’re going to be spending time on, through the foundation, is finding ways in which we can study this phenomenon of social media and the internet to see are there ways in which we can bring people from different perspectives to start having a more civil debate and listen to each other more carefully,” he said.
~ Barack Obama

And interested.

it's heartening when a poor black man with only a $3million fortune can turn it into a $40million fortune in a mere 8 years.

I do think it's truly inspiring when someone basically comes out of nowhere to write two best-selling books, which of course sold even better when he became president.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 pm

~ Barack Obama

And interested.

Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress” 1399249160

Just last week, only a few miles from here, a poor white tradesmen became $38 million richer in only a few minutes, while playing a Keno gambling machine...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 pm

I have no idea why money has even been brought up.

Someone has a good idea and a vision and what he has in his wallet becomes the main topic of conversation?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Original Quill wrote:I think a nice study platform is a good idea for him.  He's probably the most intelligent president we've had, a great communicator and a wonderful moral leader.

Nonsense. This is the new politics. It was invented by Republicans. This is the way it is done nowadays.

But it's nice to see the Nazi term hurled by a righty. At least you know what it means. Most of your brothers don't.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:53 pm

Obama wasn't to everyone's taste but at least  he was more emotionally mature and less divisive.

In Trump's latest twitter rant he called someone's wife (Amorosa) a ''worthless DOG".

Immature and unstatesmanlike language!

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:18 am

eddie wrote:I have no idea why money has even been brought up.

Someone has a good idea and a vision and what he has in his wallet becomes the main topic of conversation?

Smile

Deano is deliberately trying to derail this thread...

I, in turn, was merely trying to deflect (or deflate..) one of DYKnose's usual stupidities..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:34 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:

Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress” 1399249160

Just last week, only a few miles from here, a poor white tradesmen became $38 million richer in only a few minutes, while playing a Keno gambling machine...
so you are suggesting Obama won the lottery. He kept that quiet
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:35 am

you dont wonder how a man on a hundred grand or so a year turns $3million into $40 million in a mere 8 years whilst being president of the US
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 am

Original Quill wrote:

Nonsense.  This is the new politics.  It was invented by Republicans.  This is the way it is done nowadays.

But it's nice to see the Nazi term hurled by a righty.  At least you know what it means.  Most of your brothers don't.
you have just said people should be lynched and you dont think you are an actual nazi
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:37 am

Jules wrote:Obama wasn't to everyone's taste but at least  he was more emotionally mature and less divisive.

In Trump's latest twitter rant he called someone's wife (Amorosa) a ''worthless DOG".

yes obama said drivel in an eloquent way.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:38 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:

Smile

Deano is deliberately trying to derail this thread...

I, in turn, was merely trying to deflect (or deflate..) one of DYKnose's usual stupidities..
How am I trying to derail a thread by pointing out a man earning a hundred grand a year or so has amassed a $40million fortune in 8 years. It would seem that the faithful think of him as a cult leader in the same way the corbynista cultist view st jeremy
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:10 am

you dont wonder how a man on a hundred grand or so a year turns $3million into $40 million in a mere 8 years whilst being president of the US

His money has nothing to do with the original post and you still haven't shown any connection.

But if you want to talk about it, well, the president's salary is quadruple what you say it is, for starters. So start there and then check out his tax returns, which, unlike your hero Trump, Obama actually released.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Well it’s pretty easy to find out:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2017/01/20/how-barack-obama-has-made-20-million-since-arriving-in-washington/
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Nonsense.  This is the new politics.  It was invented by Republicans.  This is the way it is done nowadays.

But it's nice to see the Nazi term hurled by a righty.  At least you know what it means.  Most of your brothers don't.
you have just said people should be lynched and you dont think you are an actual nazi

Castration is not lynching.  Moreover, it's a metaphor for more extreme forms of politics.  Republicans have crossed over, placing the party over country.  That's a form of all-out war.

What I'm saying is we need to meet weapon with weapon, tactic with tactic.  Moreover, we need to get out in front, and not just copy.  We need to think in extremes, and brutally.  You can't lead from behind.

Heretofore, Democrats have shown up at a gunfight with fingernail clippers.  If this country is to survive we need to lock-and-load.  We leftys are no longer fighting for ourselves, or our principles, but for the country itself.

Republicans have become a satellite of the Russian mafia.  They thought they were being tougher (John Wayne style), but while they were admiring their own muscles, they fell for the slavic dangle.  Now they are victims of kompromat, and they are pussies. Democrats need to break heads, and exile the Russians.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Quill wrote: What I'm saying is we need to meet weapon with weapon, tactic with tactic.  Moreover, we need to get out in front, and not just copy.  We need to think in extremes, and brutally.  You can't lead from behind.

Heretofore, Democrats have shown up at a gunfight with fingernail clippers.  If this country is to survive we need to lock-and-load.  We leftys are no longer fighting for ourselves, or our principles, but for the country itself.

Thought you didn’t believe in war? Unless that’s NOT what you’re saying?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:01 pm

If you do that Quill, you'll have to ask for my advice on how to avoid killing Babies !!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:19 pm

nicko wrote:If you do that Quill, you'll have to ask for my advice on how to avoid killing Babies !!

The problem is that English metaphors tend to rely on war as a source of verbs and adjectives. Lakoff & Johnson, Metaphors We Live By. I am not advocating actual combat or violence, but a rethinking of the aggressiveness of our (Democrats) tactics.

Republicans have forsaken any semblance of cooperation. There is no moral or patriotic barrier to what they will not do, including conspiring with our greatest enemy in history in a grand act of espionage. It is obvious Republicans would rather collude with Russians than cooperate with Democrats.

In that sense, we need to brake barriers of our own. For example, because Trump was fraudulently elected, we are justified in declaring nugatory all acts taken by his administration...nullifying all appointments, treaties, declarations, pronouncements and any legal acts he has signed into law. Take 'em away...zip!

This perfectly legal step would be analogous, for example, to McConnell withholding a vote on Obama's Supreme Court selection of Merritt Garland. Use of a vacuum is now quite legal. Ask yourself, what would happen if the people neglected to choose a president for a period? Because this is what has happened, in reality.

Trump was instated by the Russian Internet Research Agency, not by a vote of the people. They hacked the computers, just as they are hacking into electric grids, idiot boxes in automobiles, and, hell yes, all electronically controlled pieces of our military.

We’ve had a fraud in the White House. No one is president. Hell, take my moves instead; I was as much president as Trump. All steps taken by Trump are pretend moves, as he was never president.

We don't need war. Disappointment will do. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:32 pm

eddie wrote:Thought you didn’t believe in war? Unless that’s NOT what you’re saying?

Wrong.  I've always said that war is justified if it's to protect our borders.  I have always insisted that I am not a peacenik; we simply don't waste our resources on silly overseas conflicts that have nothing to do with us.

However, my message above is not a military one, but a legal one.  As a PhD in government, and a JD in law, I am giving a different, but better, interpretation of precedent within Constitutional Law.

Precedent should make sense.  Pronouncements of a fraud occupying the office need not be taken seriously.  We need to admit to ourselves that we simply had a 'time-hole' in our political existence.

Trump was never president.  Our election institutions failed us, that's all.  We are locked into a belief that our political system cannot, not be extant. We need to let go of that belief.  It's just happened.  We need to accept that small fact, and literally erase all that Trump has done, and then move on.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Jules wrote:Obama wasn't to everyone's taste but at least  he was more emotionally mature and less divisive.

yes obama said drivel in an eloquent way.

A president angrily cussing out people on twitter using teenage language is excruciatingly embarrassing to see  Embarassed Embarassed 

No amount of sarcasm from you will deflect from this. (nice try tho).

The only thing missing from his juvenile  rants is ''your mamma is fat and ugly''.

He's a pathetic immature manchild, too petty for words, and his twitter rants demean the high office of presidency.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Dykhead loves Chump, Jules.
He keeps saying it. He had to say it here as his own place is akin to the Siberian Steppes.
Even his most strident supporters, Allakaka, Major, Stench Bandit, Hugh Jardon and Durham have gone.
Must be odd being the only person trumpeting support for a sexist, philandering, racist, pussy grabbing , young virgin loving fascist, treasonous , Russian collaborating crook.

And Dyk disliked Obama because he was educated , articulate, popular and of colour.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Angry Andy wrote:Dykhead loves Chump, Jules.
He keeps saying it. He had to say it here as his own place is akin to the Siberian Steppes.
Even his most strident supporters, Allakaka, Major, Stench Bandit, Hugh Jardon and Durham have gone.
Must be odd being the only person trumpeting support for a sexist, philandering, racist, pussy grabbing , young virgin loving fascist, treasonous , Russian collaborating crook.

And Dyk disliked Obama because he was educated , articulate, popular and of colour.

I see that.  But he never defends Trump with details.  It's as if he's accepting all the crimes, but loving the guy nonetheless.

Is Dean English, or perhaps Russian?  He's from that part of the world.  Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:48 pm

The capitalists among us should have no problem with wealth acquisition, after all that's the whole point of capitalism. A president or PM can earn VAST sums on the 'after-dinner speeches' circuit and they also get a huge advance from various publishing companies for writing their memoirs. Ditto for their wives too, if they are educated to a high standard.

So I don't see what the problem is?  Barack Obama: taking on the “Baton of Human Progress” 2190311264
Unless you are implying dishonesty here? - in which case I would remind you that the blatant dishonesty of TRUMP's golf charities were the butt of everyone's jokes in the media - false accounting, misappropriation of funds, money laundering, tax evasion, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Smile

Deano hates all non-white people...

Especially successful and foreign non-white people..

Which also explains why the likes of Smelly' and Stormee are firmly in Deano's corner.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down