NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shark Drags woman into water by her finger

4 posters

Go down

Shark Drags woman into water by her finger  Empty Shark Drags woman into water by her finger

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:09 am

The 34-year-old Perth woman was standing on the back of a yacht in Dugong Bay in the remote Kimberley Region, around 250km north of Broome, when she tried to handfeed four tawny nurse sharks swimming nearby.

“It happened so quickly. All I could really focus on was the fact that my finger is gone,” she told 7 News. “It clamped on it and it felt like it was shredding off the bone.

“I came up and I was like, ‘I’ve lost my finger’. I couldn’t even look at the finger because I thought if I looked at it and saw it was gone, I’d probably go into shock.”

Nurse sharks are slow-moving bottom-dwellers that are generally harmless to humans, according to National Geographic. But the magazine notes they can be huge — up to 4m — and have strong jaws filled with thousands of tiny teeth. The sharks will bite defensively if stepped on or if they feel their space is being invaded.

The good news was her finger was still attached to her hand — she sustained cuts, a fracture and a torn ligament, but it was still intact.

The bad news was it soon became badly infected, and Melissa had to go to hospital as soon as she got back to Perth.

But she took full responsibility for the incident, telling the West Australian it was “completely my fault” and “just a blond doing a stupid thing”.

“It’s not the shark’s fault at all, but it could have been a lot worse,” she told the paper. “I’m not a shark victim … I have full respect for sharks, I think they’re incredible.

“I’ve always had the opinion that when you’re in the water, they’re top of the food chain — it’s their domain.”

Shark Drags woman into water by her finger  C6cd775c015ce07f86bda75c6e67f846?width=650
full story
https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/a-shark-dragged-this-perth-woman-into-the-water-by-her-index-finger/news-story/30b0bd39e2785ab817f6bd3b57b46e6f
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Shark Drags woman into water by her finger  Empty Re: Shark Drags woman into water by her finger

Post by eddie Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:28 am

What idiot feeds a shark by hand? Rolling Eyes

Fun fact! I caught a baby shark once when I went fishing in the Maldives.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Shark Drags woman into water by her finger  Empty Re: Shark Drags woman into water by her finger

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:07 am

it generally fine, but generally you move your hand Shark Drags woman into water by her finger  2190311264
feeding a nurse shark is probably safer or about the same as feeding a large dog
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 am

Smile

It was the silly girl's own fault -- as she herself readily admitted...

The same kind of accidental mauling can just as easily happen when hand-feeding horses or dogs, if someone leaves their hand or fingers in the wrong position..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:43 am

Feeding any wild animal by hand has its risks. I wouldn't go near a shark let alone feed one!.

Like hand feeding a lion by hand, one bite and you've become his next meal. Shocked
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down