NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another great British Institute is going under.

+3
nicko
magica
Syl
7 posters

Go down

Another great British Institute is going under. Empty Another great British Institute is going under.

Post by Syl Thu May 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Marks and Spencer is set to close a third of it's branches in the near future.
Will it follow C&A, Mothercare, BHS, Woolworths, Comet, Clintons, once the lifeblood on the high street, now all gone or drastically cut down.
Cheaper high street shops are still going strong so internet shopping cant be wholly to blame, but you get what you pay fo.
Sadly M&S tried to cater for everyone, young, old, food, household goods....they should have just concentrated on what they did best for so long.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Another great British Institute is going under. Empty Re: Another great British Institute is going under.

Post by magica Thu May 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Lots now shop on line. I know lots of young people do now. Also Marks has always been so expensive so many can't afford to buy there.

As you said Syl, cheaper shops are doing well, so older stores like Marks can't compete.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Another great British Institute is going under. Empty Re: Another great British Institute is going under.

Post by Syl Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 pm

I think they lost their edge when their womens fashions stopped appealling to their core customers,  unfortunately the fashions were not what women were looking for.

Who are they designing for?
I find a lot of their stuff old fashioned and staid, so God knows what younger women think of it.

They are more expensive, less on trend, and the stores are outdated .....the food and underwear are still good though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu May 24, 2018 11:53 pm

Yes its market is for older people but very old fashioned that older people, unless 90, wants to wear them.

I don't get food there, too dear tbh.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri May 25, 2018 5:35 am

I thought ST Michal made the underwear ????
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 am

magica wrote:Yes its market is for older people but very old fashioned that older people, unless 90, wants to wear them.

I don't get food there, too dear tbh.

The food is good value if you look out for the specials Mags. Dine in for a tenner is particularly good value, and they throw in a free bottle of wine. Meats and fish 3 for £10 is comparable to other supermarkets...and their cakes are gorgeous, worth paying a bit extra for.
Basics are dearer, especially when you see the prices Aldi and Lidl offer.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 11:59 am

nicko wrote:I thought ST Michal made the underwear ????

He does Nicko, he has a hand in everything. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri May 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Their underwear is fab. It used to be too flimsy and only smaller-sized bras, but they really stepped up and expanded their range - reasonable price too.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 12:49 pm

We had an M&S outlet nearby...sadly gone now, the underwear in there was especially good value, I always bought bras from there...I will have to pay full price now. Evil or Very Mad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri May 25, 2018 1:04 pm

Syl wrote:We had an M&S outlet nearby...sadly gone now, the underwear in there was especially good value, I always bought bras from there...I will have to pay full price now. Evil or Very Mad

Compared to other ranges like Gossard or Freya, it's pretty cheap though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri May 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Syl wrote:Marks and Spencer is set to close a third of it's branches in the near future.
Will it follow C&A, Mothercare, BHS, Woolworths, Comet, Clintons, once the lifeblood on the high street, now all gone or drastically cut down.
Cheaper high street shops are still going strong so internet shopping cant be wholly to blame, but you get what you pay fo.
Sadly M&S tried to cater for everyone, young, old, food, household goods....they should have just concentrated on what they did best for so long.

I'm not surprised. Have you seen the state of the clothes? Dowdy and garish and fucking awful. I hate M and S clothes. The only good thing they produce is food and knickers.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri May 25, 2018 1:23 pm

M&S keeps trying to reinvent itself, but they just can't seem to get it right all the time. Per Una is quite nice.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:We had an M&S outlet nearby...sadly gone now, the underwear in there was especially good value, I always bought bras from there...I will have to pay full price now. Evil or Very Mad

Yes, they are good value .
This is a good site to shop online, they have some great swimwear and undies by good names like Freya and Fantasie....often at less than half the price you would pay in the shops.

http://www.leialingerie.com/outlet/search.aspx
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 8:13 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:Marks and Spencer is set to close a third of it's branches in the near future.

I'm not surprised.   Have you seen the state of the clothes?   Dowdy and garish and fucking awful.   I hate M and S clothes.   The only good thing they produce is food and knickers.

Dowdy and garish sums up most of their clothes tbf.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Syl wrote:I think they lost their edge when their womens fashions stopped appealling to their core customers,  unfortunately the fashions were not what women were looking for.

I find a lot of their stuff old fashioned and staid, so God knows what younger women think of it.

They are more expensive, less on trend, and the stores are outdated .....the food and underwear are still good though.

Their food is really nice but always slightly overpriced for what it is. Their underwear is very good quality for every day wear.
Their clothes are awful. Always have been.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:I think they lost their edge when their womens fashions stopped appealling to their core customers,  unfortunately the fashions were not what women were looking for.

Their food is really nice but always slightly overpriced for what it is. Their underwear is very good quality for every day wear.
Their clothes are awful. Always have been.

Now and again they get it right.
I bought some black leggings with studs going top to bottom down the outside seam, they look great with a cropped jacket, very Spanish looking.

Another great British Institute is going under. 70f745d1db4e392b20876fb6bb5f2fac
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 pm

Whilst we are on about fashions, I will put this link here I nicked from another forum....not fashion but beauty products.
Its a brilliant site for all the best makes at very cheap prices.

https://www.justmylook.com/

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri May 25, 2018 8:32 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

This is a good site to shop online, they have some great swimwear and undies by good names like Freya and Fantasie....often at less than half the price you would pay in the shops.

Thanks for that Syl. Smile
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri May 25, 2018 10:55 pm

I mean, look at this monstrosity.    Anyone under 17 would look like someone out of the Waltons, and anyone over 17 would look like the village idiot.   And let's not say what someone over a size 14 might look like. £65 to look like a sack of shit.

Another great British Institute is going under. SD_01_T42_8099T_FQ_X_EC_90?$PDP_PROD_IMAGE$
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Thanks for that Syl. Smile
You are welcome, I have bought a few items from there, it's a good site.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:I mean, look at this monstrosity.    Anyone under 17 would look like someone out of the Waltons, and anyone over 17 would look like the village idiot.   And let's not say what someone over a size 14 might look like. £65 to look like a sack of shit.

Another great British Institute is going under. SD_01_T42_8099T_FQ_X_EC_90?$PDP_PROD_IMAGE$
Truly hideous. Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat May 26, 2018 12:29 am

That's the kind of thing is normally made purposely for the bigger person, along with 1950's curtain patterns, there's always lots of elastication which makes a big person look as you said like a sack of shit. That really is awful, who the heck is the designer.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 am

Probably a man.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat May 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Syl wrote:Probably a man.

Made in Taiwan too.  

I bought this a few years ago from Joe Browns.   One of my fav dresses.   It's really well made and has all kinds of detailing on it.   Joe Browns is a bit hit and miss but you get gems like this from them.

Another great British Institute is going under. 024dc648b739e964dee03c0d5cda24cd
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Bloody hell Horatio, I seriously DO have curtains in a very similar material. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down