NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two new poem fragments by Sappho discovered and translated

2 posters

Go down

Two new poem fragments by Sappho discovered and translated Empty Two new poem fragments by Sappho discovered and translated

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Reading Sappho is radiant and frustrating, like being smiled upon by a goddess who is missing some teeth. Frustrating because her poems survive in quotations and fragments, snippets of often homoerotic desire coming down to us from seventh-century Greece. (Out of what is believed to be nine volumes of work, scholars have recovered only one complete Sappho lyric.)

Radiant because, as the writer Kenneth Rexroth said of her, “Wherever enough words remain to form a coherent context, they give one another a unique luster, an effulgence found nowhere else. Presentational immediacy of the image, overwhelming urgency of personal involvement—in no other poet are these two prime factors of lyric poetry raised to so great a power.”

But while passion and a sense of elusiveness or loss seem important to our understanding of Sappho, they aren’t the full story. So it’s great news that two more of the poet’s verses have recently surfaced on a third-century scroll.

As the Guardian reports, “the poems came to light when an anonymous private collector in London showed a piece of papyrus fragment to Dr Dirk Obbink, a papyrologist at Oxford University.” Obbink has described the meter, dialect, and themes as “indubitably” hers. The more intact lyric contains biographical tidbits, mentioning Sappho’s brothers Charaxus and Larichus; the second is a moan of unrequited love.

Poem fragments at the link:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/01/31/read_two_newly_discovered_sappho_poems_in_english_for_the_first_time.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Two new poem fragments by Sappho discovered and translated Empty Re: Two new poem fragments by Sappho discovered and translated

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:19 pm

I do know that Camille Paglia considered Sappho one of only two female geniuses in the history of literature.

However as she considered herself the other I automatically assumed she was wrong about Sappho too.

Back to top Go down

Two new poem fragments by Sappho discovered and translated Empty Re: Two new poem fragments by Sappho discovered and translated

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:41 pm

lovedust wrote:
I do know that Camille Paglia considered Sappho one of only two female geniuses in the history of literature.

However as she considered herself the other I automatically  assumed she was wrong about Sappho too.

I think Paglia is wrong about a lot of things ... didn't she say A&E was "Stalinist" for suspending Phil Robertson (for what, a week?) -- I think she's turned into one of those "notable people" who's resorted to saying outrageous things for attention.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:41 pm

And I think the Bronte sisters might take issue, among many others.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 pm

I think Sappho must be up there, too many other great poets of history comment on quality of her work.

Anyone with positive reviews from Virgil (arguably the best poet in history) has got to have something to offer.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
lovedust wrote:

However as she considered herself the other I automatically  assumed she was wrong about Sappho too.

I think Paglia is wrong about a lot of things ... didn't she say A&E was "Stalinist" for suspending Phil Robertson (for what, a week?) -- I think she's turned into one of those "notable people" who's resorted to saying outrageous things for attention.
I didn't hear that particular story, but yes that sort of statement sounds up her street.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I think Sappho must be up there, too many other great poets of history comment on quality of her work.

Anyone with positive reviews from Virgil (arguably the best poet in history) has got to have something to offer.

Not saying she's not, I'm just saying I think there are more than two female literary geniuses in history Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 pm

You may well be right Veya.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down