NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This 88-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living On A Cruise Ship For 10 Years

5 posters

Go down

This 88-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living On A Cruise Ship For 10 Years Empty This 88-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living On A Cruise Ship For 10 Years

Post by Guest Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Lee Wachtstetter has found a way to travel the world without ever leaving home.

The 88-year-old grandmother sold her home in Fort Lauderdale, her car, and most of her belongings to become a permanent luxury cruise ship resident.

Known to passengers and crew as Mama Lee, she's been living a "fairy tale existence" on the Crystal Serenity for the past decade.

"I don't have to shop. I don't have to cook. I do what I want, when I want, if I want," she said.

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-videos/6982/This-88-Year-Old-Grandma-Has-Been-Living-On-A-Cruise-Ship-For-10-Years

Back to top Go down

This 88-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living On A Cruise Ship For 10 Years Empty Re: This 88-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living On A Cruise Ship For 10 Years

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:08 am

I read somewhere that a lady had done this because it worked out cheaper than paying to go live in an old folks home.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

This 88-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living On A Cruise Ship For 10 Years Empty Re: This 88-Year-Old Grandma Has Been Living On A Cruise Ship For 10 Years

Post by Syl Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:52 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:I read somewhere that a lady had done this because it worked out cheaper than paying to go live in an old folks home.

When some homes charge a grand a week it possibly is cheaper...and I bet she has more fun too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:05 pm

CARE HOME COSTS & FEES in 2018 - The ultimate information guide.
https://ukcareguide.co.uk/care-home-costs/

"CARE HOME COSTS & FEES range from £200-£1500 per week & vary around the UK. Use our calculator to ... Care home costs are something that you need to calculate carefully, particularly as the costs can be over £1,000 per week!! We have ... Estimate your care home costs using the Residential Care Calculator below ."
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Didge wrote:Lee Wachtstetter has found a way to travel the world without ever leaving home.

The 88-year-old grandmother sold her home in Fort Lauderdale, her car, and most of her belongings to become a permanent luxury cruise ship resident.

Known to passengers and crew as Mama Lee, she's been living a "fairy tale existence" on the Crystal Serenity for the past decade.

"I don't have to shop. I don't have to cook. I do what I want, when I want, if I want," she said.

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-videos/6982/This-88-Year-Old-Grandma-Has-Been-Living-On-A-Cruise-Ship-For-10-Years

Nah.  No
If she's a widow she should live out her last few days having fun, but have family close by, if possible.  NOTHING is a substitute for the warmth of blood relatives. 

Strangers should not be the people who watch you take your last breath on this earth. No

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:43 pm

Yes she's fit and well but at that age she could die at any stage.

The heart muscle is pre-programmed to beat a finite number of times. When you reach that number, it stops beating, whether you are ill or well.

That is why no one lives for ever. The cardiac muscles won't allow it.  Be ready!

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 am

Jules wrote:Yes she's fit and well but at that age she could die at any stage.

The heart muscle is pre-programmed to beat a finite number of times. When you reach that number, it stops beating, whether you are ill or well.

That is why no one lives for ever. The cardiac muscles won't allow it.  Be ready!

That's a myth.

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/does-human-heart-have-finite-number-beats
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:20 am

I think it's great when someone finds a way of life which really suits them. It sounds expensive so not everyone could do it, and it wouldn't suit me, but good for her!

As for being around family, they can't live your life, and you can't live their life. She's doing what she enjoys.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:52 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I think it's great when someone finds a way of life which really suits them. It sounds expensive so not everyone could do it, and it wouldn't suit me, but good for her!

As for being around family, they can't live your life, and you can't live their life. She's doing what she enjoys.

It's quite a leap to extract that meaning from what I said. Shocked

It's not ideal to be surrounded by strangers in the middle of some vast ocean when you breathe your last, imv.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Jules wrote:Yes she's fit and well but at that age she could die at any stage.

That's a myth.

I'm not quite ready to overhaul what I was taught, for the sake of a zoologist's opinion. He studied cows.
My class was taught biology by tutors who did surgical operations on human hearts.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 am

Jules wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think it's great when someone finds a way of life which really suits them. It sounds expensive so not everyone could do it, and it wouldn't suit me, but good for her!

It's not ideal to be surrounded by strangers in the middle of some vast ocean when you breathe your last, imv.

Yes, but in order to have your family around when you die, you have to be with them an awful lot. Not everyone has warning that they're going to die, and the chances of your family being there when it happens are not that high.

In any case, why does it matter? She's living the way she wants, so why would she want to live a life she doesn't enjoy just so that a family member can be there when she dies? I mean, even if she dies of an illness and they happen to be there, they're only going to sit there aren't they?

She might live to be over 100 anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:24 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Jules wrote:

Yes, but in order to have your family around when you die, you have to be with them an awful lot. Not everyone has warning that they're going to die, and the chances of your family being there when it happens are not that high.

In any case, why does it matter? She's living the way she wants, so why would she want to live a life she doesn't enjoy just so that a family member can be there when she dies? I mean, even if she dies of an illness and they happen to be there, they're only going to sit there aren't they?

Yes, she well might.  But when you're nearly 90, be ready to go at any time.
Hence why I wrote "Be ready".

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am

Jules wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yes, she well might.  But when you're nearly 90, be ready to go at any time.
Hence why I wrote "Be ready".

Maybe she is ready. They'll have a doctor on the ship, and they're probably used to people dying on cruises, so they know what to do. I just don't see what difference it makes where she is.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:27 am

At least she hasn't accumulated a lot of stuff for relatives to sort out when she dies. Swedish death cleaning is all the rage apparently, and she's already done it. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:29 am

It's an upbeat story. She's doing well.
It's clear that she has looked after herself and lived healthily all her life.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:33 am

Raggamuffin wrote:At least she hasn't accumulated a lot of stuff for relatives to sort out when she dies. Swedish death cleaning is all the rage apparently, and she's already done it. Laughing

And I am aware that some relatives are horrible. 
Just look at the horror stories of feuding between the relatives of some celebs who died. Frank Sinatra, James Brown, Whitney Houston, Linda Bellingham all come to mind.

Undignified feuding in the courts, for their share of dead person's money.  No

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:40 am

Jules wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

That's a myth.

I'm not quite ready to overhaul what I was taught, for the sake of a zoologist's opinion. He studied cows.
My class was taught biology by tutors who did surgical operations on human hearts.

There is increasing evidence that increased heart rate may be an independent risk factor for cardiovascular morbidity and mortality both in patients with ischaemic heart disease and in the general population. Elevated heart rate in coronary artery disease is a major determinant of oxygen consumption and appears to evoke most episodes of ischaemia. Increased resting heart rate may also contribute to the development of atherosclerosis, facilitate plaque destabilisation and initiate arrhythmias, leading to acute coronary events and sudden death. Reducing heart rate is a central aim in the treatment of stable angina pectoris; this therapeutic approach may have an essential role in lowering the incidence of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in patients with pre-existing ischaemic heart disease. However, this heart rate hypothesis has not thus far been proven. Evidence suggests that the use of heart rate-lowering drugs may have a beneficial effect; however, most treatments for angina have additional negative inotropic effects on the heart. This hypothesis can now be tested following the recent development of selective heart rate drugs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18411350

Is that a bit more bone fide for you? I think what is being bandied is increased heart rate throughout the life might be detrimental to heart health and longevity, rather than a finite number of beats. It's like high blood pressure does the same thing, thickens the heart wall and increases heart attack incidence.

If the finite beats theory were absolutely true, then it would be all over the NHS sites and other medical journals. But it's not, because it's not proven.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 am

Jules wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:At least she hasn't accumulated a lot of stuff for relatives to sort out when she dies. Swedish death cleaning is all the rage apparently, and she's already done it. Laughing

And I am aware that some relatives are horrible. 
Just look at the horror stories of feuding between the relatives of some celebs who died. Frank Sinatra, James Brown, Whitney Houston, Linda Bellingham all come to mind.

Undignified feuding in the courts, for their share of dead person's money.  No

Exactly Jules! I think it happens even in ordinary families too. Perhaps this lady is better off spending all her money paying to live on a ship, and then there'll be no arguing over her money or possessions later.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 am

Imagine if you knew how many heart beats you had before you died. There would be a huge market for devices which count them, and everyone would buy them and be constantly counting and working out how long they had. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:54 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Imagine if you knew how many heart beats you had before you died. There would be a huge market for devices which count them, and everyone would buy them and be constantly counting and working out how long they had. Laughing

It's not as simple as that. There is a twist.
The number of beats alloted to you is affected by how you live yor life. A drugged up, alcoholic, poor diet lifestyle can drastically alter it.  Twisted Evil    Laughing

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:41 pm

My MIL is 104 this year, my best friend died at 41.

Death comes to everyone sooner or later, unless we have an incurable illness no one knows when our time will be up, my advice would be to make the most of every day....be it on a cruise ship or pottering around your own home.
This lady is living her life the way she wants to, I would hate it, after 2 weeks in a hotel I cant wait to break free, so living on a floating one would drive me nuts.....but she loves it, so good for her.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 pm

I envy her. Good on her for living the way she wants.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Cass wrote:I envy her. Good on her for living the way she wants.

Dont envy her, am proud of her and think many should take a leaf out of her book me Lady

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:I envy her. Good on her for living the way she wants.

Dont envy her, am proud of her and think many should take a leaf out of her book me Lady

I just I could retire NOW Smile

I’ve read of a few others doing this or living in hotels for a few months at a time then changing.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:48 pm

Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:

I just I could retire NOW Smile

I’ve read of a few others doing this or living in hotels for a few months at a time then changing.

Well lets hope your dreams come true.. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Ok I’m giving up on typing I the car. Mr.C finds all the bumps and I keep missing words.

Later Smile
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Cass wrote:Ok I’m giving up on typing I the car. Mr.C finds all the bumps and I keep missing words.

Later Smile

lol!

Enjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down