NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it

+6
Original Quill
Syl
Fred Moletrousers
veya_victaous
Maddog
Ben Reilly
10 posters

Go down

Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it  Empty Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:55 am

Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it  Img_2010
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it  Empty Re: Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:13 am

Of all the dumb things Trump has done, this may be the least dumb. It shows he was preparing for these people.

I can see people not liking his policies, and despising his morals, but I'm not sure what the deal is with having notes prior to a meeting.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it  Empty Re: Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:18 am

generally the notes are ok.... although most presidents are sort beyond that level
number 5 is a bit questionable as it smacks of lip service to the victims while Not hearing them
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:35 pm

Maddog wrote:Of all the dumb things Trump has done, this may be the least dumb. It shows he was preparing for these people.

I can see people not liking his policies, and despising his morals, but I'm not sure what the deal is with having notes prior to a meeting.  

It's common practice for high level interviewees to have a small piece of paper - or better still a piece of card that won't rustle into a nearby microphone - setting out the two (or three at the most) key points he or she wishes to get across, particularly given the tendency of naughty journalists to attempt to lay a trap by suddenly changing tack in order to catch the subject out.

A viewer or audience may not see it, but you can bet your bottom dollar it will be either on the lectern or interview desk out of camera shot.

At a press conference, in particular, it is dangerously easy to face journalists with your key message firmly in the forefront of your mind, only for it to be sidelined by a barrage of questions on other matters, some of which you may not be prepared for or know the answer to.

That's a cue for the standard response... "That's a very important point and I'll come to it presently, but first let me deal with the matter of...." and then go on to say what you intended to get across to your audience in the hope that any follow-up questions will be centred on your main points.

I've been both interviewer and interviewee in my time, and things don't always go to plan of course...there are always the Piers Morgans of this world who seriously believe that the points they wish to raise are more imporant than the topic that the interviewee has been invited to talk about.

And a prompt card, by the way, is no bloody use at all in an outside broadcast - particularly in a gale!

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Why is the number 45 printed on his shirt cuff?

I'm sure most people who are speaking publicly have some sort of prompt cards they can refer to....its nice to speak from the heart, but not always possible.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:41 pm

I kinda agree with the others. Broad, general notes on a 3 x 5 card, help you to stay focused.

And if your job is to listen, #5 us most important: allow it to remind you what your job is.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:05 pm

I would’ve thought that speaking from the heart, about an awful atrocity, such as this, wouldn’t need a prompt card.

But then, so many people don’t know how to speak from their heart.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 pm

eddie wrote:I would’ve thought that speaking from the heart, about an awful atrocity, such as this, wouldn’t need a prompt card.

Speaking from the heart isn't really in the job description of any politician.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm

eddie wrote:I would’ve thought that speaking from the heart, about an awful atrocity, such as this, wouldn’t need a prompt card.

Ordinarily, you would be right, eds. But in this country, this issue is so fraught with controversy, with the president on the other side, that someone wanted to keep him focused. Notice his emphasis throughout has been on mental state. His message is: not bad guns, just bad people.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Syl wrote:Why is the number 45 printed on his shirt cuff?

I'm sure most people who are speaking publicly have some sort of prompt cards they can refer to....its nice to speak from the heart, but not always possible.

he's the 45th president Wink

I don't think it was a public address it was the 'interview' with the victims of mass shootings. which is why the note "I hear you" is a bit bad since it does strong imply he is just saying it on script and is not really listening
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:35 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:Why is the number 45 printed on his shirt cuff?

he's the 45th president Wink

I don't think it was a public address it was the 'interview' with the victims of mass shootings. which is why the note "I hear you" is a bit bad since it does strong imply he is just saying it on script and is not really listening
Thanks for the 45 explanation...I genuinly didnt know.

I agree prompting himself to show empathy is sad....but it is Trump, so its understandable.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:07 pm

I think the idea that you'd have to remember to console survivors of a mass shooting is DEEPLY disturbing. Seriously, all he had to do was be an average human being. It's not the hardest job.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:14 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I think the idea that you'd have to remember to console survivors of a mass shooting is DEEPLY disturbing. Seriously, all he had to do was be an average human being. It's not the hardest job.

If that's all he's there to do, then yeah, he doesn't need a cheat sheet.

Turn off the cameras and let him console. But if the cameras are rolling, it's a whole different gig..........

This isn't like meeting the families of fallen soldiers at Dover AFB. This was a political event. Maybe it shouldn't have been.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I think the idea that you'd have to remember to console survivors of a mass shooting is DEEPLY disturbing. Seriously, all he had to do was be an average human being. It's not the hardest job.

Well...Trump is deeply disturbing, have you forgotten?  And now he's attending the CPAC meetings, schmoozing officials of the NRA.

So, it was a show all along.  Trump likes to live in the moment, as we saw after Charlottesville, so his staff can't trust him keep to the script.  Thus the 3 x 5 card.  Keep in mind that Trump is the crazy, the staff are sane.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:34 am

Yup.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:35 am

Original Quill wrote:

Well...Trump is deeply disturbing, have you forgotten?  And now he's attending the CPAC meetings, schmoozing officials of the NRA.

So, it was a show all along.  Trump likes to live in the moment, as we saw after Charlottesville, so his staff can't trust him keep to the script.  Thus the 3 x 5 card.  Keep in mind that Trump is the crazy, the staff are sane.

The staff are sane????? Now you’re the crazy one.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 am

Cass wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

The staff are sane????? Now you’re the crazy one.

I've read Fire and Fury. The staff at least are concerned about the appearances.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:16 am

Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it  3755771736

Donnie Dumpster has been sucking on too many NRA financial dicks...

Eric and Don Dump Jr are both keen shooters and incompetant bowhunters (like 99% of Amerikan "bowhunters" --  where only a small minority bother to actually practice before venturing out..).

The fact that Donald Dumpster said that teachers in the USA should be armed says it all about the loopy circus that they currently have in the White House..

If the Republican Party is even still in existence in 2030, I will be surprised --  I can easily imagine the GOP self-destructing beneath the twin evils of the Trumpsters and the Tea Party, with both cliques owned by the NRA, mining companies, and evangelical churches  --  and the eventual rise of a new conservative party to replace them over the next couple of decades.

"Nothing lasts forever.."
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Better for him to read from a script written by his aides than to ad lib free style. We all know how disatrous his adlibbing can be ... he'd probably come out with something like "See, folks, these campus shooters have many sides, many many sides,  some are good people"  What a Face What a Face

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I think he rehearses his speeches till the last minute, like a nervous actor waiting to go on stage. He was once seen  learning his lines whilst being driven in the back of his car. [I think he's more discrete these days] > >

Trump needed a cheat sheet to console school shooting survivors, and you can read it  Donald-Trump-practising-speech-limo-1120

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 pm

The RW orchestrates it's responses to these sorts of things. How often do Republicans puppet the same words and phrases...harden out schools; too soon, we're still grieving; it's not the guns, it's the people... They have canned answers, and they get them out right away. Likewise, they have topics that are off-limits.

Trump violates those rules, both ways.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down