NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

£/$

5 posters

Go down

£/$  Empty £/$

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Over the last couple of days, I have heard it said on the news how the £ has fallen sharply in value against the $ in recent days...

This is complete bullshit!!!

I looked the other day and it was £1 = $1.38...

Then when I looked again (yesterday) after hearing the (anti Brexit) news mention the 'sharp fall'... it was nearer £1 = $1.43!!!

Why are they lying...!!!???
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

£/$  Empty Re: £/$

Post by eddie Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm

I don’t think I got that rate at Dallas Fort Worth airport a couple of weeks ago.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:40 pm

I'm talking about the ACTUAL rate Eddie, not the TOURIST rate...

Source - BBC red button teletext thing, page 240, then select 'POUND RATES'...

Was 1.38 about a week ago... now nealy 1.43!!!

Why are the news lying by saying sharp fall...?

Why aren't they saying something more like...

"Pound at highest value against the Dollar since EU referendum, as it has been getting increasingly stronger as we get nearer to Brexit, after it fell sharply during referendum result, where it was looking like the remain vote had won until the final result of leave was confirmed."...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Oops sorry. My financial gizmo-fitch was out of whack.
No idea Tommy. That was my only monetary contribution to the thread. Sad
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 pm

That's an interesting find Tommy.
Do you have any Articles where they say fell sharply in recent days? confused

it did drop from 25th to 29th but is general up over the past 3 months
http://www.x-rates.com/graph/?from=GBP&to=USD&amount=1
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:02 am

veya_victaous wrote:That's an interesting find Tommy.
Do you have any Articles where they say fell sharply in recent days? confused

it did drop from 25th to 29th but is general up over the past 3 months
http://www.x-rates.com/graph/?from=GBP&to=USD&amount=1

Was said on BBC news few times last 3-4 days, which is why I checked to see... only to find the opposite was true!

Every time it went something like this...

"And the Pound has suffered a sharp fall again today/this week as... [some long winded waffle about Brexit being bad]..."

The BBC (and others) are full of anti Brexit spin and waffle at the moment!!!

So blatantly so that it is becoming a complete mockery of them supposedly being fair/balanced/impartial etc...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:02 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Over the last couple of days, I have heard it said on the news how the £ has fallen sharply in value against the $ in recent days...

This is complete bullshit!!!

I looked the other day and it was £1 = $1.38...

Then when I looked again (yesterday) after hearing the (anti Brexit) news mention the 'sharp fall'... it was nearer £1 = $1.43!!!

Why are they lying...!!!???

Sterling is off to a strong start against the Australian Dollar in February with the GBP to AUD exchange rate rising by over a percent at one stage to reach a best at 1.7817.

The gains are largely symptomatic of Sterling's across-the-board outperformance with strong multi-week momentum being behind the move.

What has certainly helped the UK currency was news that UK house prices are rising following a period of consolidation with data from estate agent Nationwide, revealing an unexpected surge of 3.2% in January compared with the previous year.

This is quite a big step up from the previous January's 2.6% rise and a shock to the market who had been expecting a slight slowdown to 2.5%. Although house prices have slowed long-term, all in all, it appears house price inflation has gone up a gear.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/aud/8434-pound-pushes-higher-against-australian-dollar-after-uk-house-prices-surge-1-80-now-targeted
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 am

£/$  1399249160

Looking at the longer term runs...

The pound had fallen around 15% against the $Aussie from the time of the Brexit vote until late last year,  and I have noticed has recovered a fair bit over the past month, so it's probably only now around 5% below what it was in 2016..

The $US has dropped around 10% in the past few weeks against the Aussie (which is currently floating around US 80 -- 81 cents..).

I expect the $US will also have dropped a similar amount against the €, $  and ¥  this past month or two, so both the pound and Euro will be looking up measured against both the $US and any "mixed baskets" of exchange rates..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum