NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you do?

+4
'Wolfie
veya_victaous
Eilzel
Maddog
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What would you do?  - Page 2 Empty What would you do?

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is kind of cool show. It makes me realize that stereotypes about people are not often true, and people are by and large "good".
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

What would you do?  - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do?

Post by Cass Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 am

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Were an odd lot, no doubt. But if you need some help, we often trip over ourselves trying.  

Seriously.  One of the friendliest places I've ever visited.

It is but deepest rural Texas is a lot different to big city Texas.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 am

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Get a gun.  Shocked

I really never even think about that in these situations.

Of course, some might say thinking isn't my long suit.

Yeah no thanks.

Do you have hoplophobia?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 am

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

Especially Dallas. It's full of weirdos. tongue
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:49 am

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:

Yeah no thanks.

Do you have hoplophobia?

No. I married a military man so that’s a bit nonsensical. He currently has one now, but I don’t like it. I know how to shoot, but I don’t think they’re necessary in a civilized society.

Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 am

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:

Yeah no thanks.

Do you have hoplophobia?

No. I married a military man so that’s a bit nonsensical. He currently has one now, but I don’t like it. I know how to shoot, but I don’t think they’re necessary in a civilized society.

You're right. They're not.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 am

Maddog wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:Is this one of those set up scenarios to see how other people react??

Yeah, it's set up to see how people handle seeing others being mistreated or put in harm's way.  

So it's massively bias and left leaning

Not sure we will see trump supporters getting harassed to see how people react

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:22 am

Cass wrote:
eddie wrote:

What would you do?  - Page 2 1366281442

A bit like Queensland, in that respect...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Cass wrote:I would intervene. Have done before but only if I can make sure it’s a safe environment.

Here in the US, a lot of people wouldn’t because of the gun situation. Seriously.

that does tend to put a slightly different slant on the situation but non of these encounters were aggressive or threatening in anyway just downright rude and bigoted imo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:35 pm

gelico wrote:
Cass wrote:I would intervene. Have done before but only if I can make sure it’s a safe environment.

Here in the US, a lot of people wouldn’t because of the gun situation. Seriously.

that does tend to put a slightly different slant on the situation but non of these encounters were aggressive or threatening in anyway just downright rude and bigoted imo

I agree it puts a different slant on things, but ime when people react in certain situations when they see someone else in trouble, it's instinctive.
People who way up the pros and cons, though it's probably a lot more sensible and safer to do so, are less likely to wade in and help others in a dangerous situation.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:

I agree it puts a different slant on things, but ime when people react in certain situations when they see someone else in trouble, it's instinctive.
People who way up the pros and cons, though it's probably a lot more sensible and safer to do so, are less likely to wade in and help others in a dangerous situation.

I have, as mentioned, intervened, including taking on a group of 5 drunken aggressive squaddies who were first bothering a taxi driver and then a girl behind a take away counter. It was ugly. Luckily they all backed down and left walking towards the barracks. I never hesitated to do so in Europe or the UK.

I have done a few times here but the more you see people packing guns and knowing about concealed carry and learn about how easy it is for someone to get home or of a gun, and read too many stories of where something just started out bigoted and rude and then escalated to guns being pulled, you tend to think it’s just not worth it anymore.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Ok I’m off for work ladies. See you later x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Cass wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Do you have hoplophobia?

Has there ever been a society free of people who will harm others?

I think the Japanese come pretty close , but I don't think the US is even close.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:00 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Yeah, it's set up to see how people handle seeing others being mistreated or put in harm's way.  

So it's massively bias and left leaning

Not sure we will see trump supporters getting harassed to see how people react

I don't know if it's left leaning. It does try to compare liberal and conservative areas and how they handle people being harassed. The liberal areas of the US definitely don't outshine the conservative areas. I think the mindset in the liberal areas is that they pay taxes and it's therefore not their problem. It's the governments role to handle these things.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Cass wrote:
Syl wrote:

I have, as mentioned, intervened, including taking on a group of 5 drunken aggressive squaddies who were first bothering a taxi driver and then a girl behind a take away counter. It was ugly. Luckily they all backed down and left walking towards the barracks. I never hesitated to do so in Europe or the UK.

I have done a few times here but the more you see people packing guns and knowing about concealed carry and learn about how easy it is for someone to get home or of a gun, and read too many stories of where something just started out bigoted and rude and then escalated to guns being pulled, you tend to think it’s just not worth it anymore.

Cass, I would hate to live in a country where anyone could have a gun on them, its just not something we ever consider here.
The last time I intervened was when a teen was being bullied by a gang of 4. They had him on the ground after taking his jacket off him. At least 2 or 3 people had walked by without stopping to help. I did, and luckily the lads stopped hitting him, the lad got up, I got his coat off the biggest lad, and he ran off a bit bruised and crying, but he was OK.

The worst thing about this was, as I walked on, the group of lads followed me calling me the T and C words, threatening me, when we got to the main road other people saw this, and not ONE person confronted the boys even though they were still shouting threats and abuse.

Its that sort of action (or lack of) I find to be cowardly.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Syl wrote:
Cass wrote:

Cass, I would hate to live in a country where anyone could have a gun on them, its just not something we ever consider here.
The last time I intervened was when a teen was being bullied by a gang of 4. They had him on the ground after taking his jacket off him. At least 2 or 3 people had walked by without stopping to help. I did, and luckily the lads stopped hitting him, the lad got up, I got his coat off the biggest lad, and he ran off a bit bruised and crying, but he was OK.

The worst thing about this was, as I walked on, the group of lads followed me calling me the T and C words, threatening me, when we got to the main road other people saw this, and not ONE person confronted the boys even though they were still shouting threats and abuse.

Its that sort of action (or lack of) I find to be cowardly.

The lads were not afraid of you. They had the advantage of youth and numbers. If only there was a tool that could be used to make them fear you a little. Well, maybe some day they will invent one. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:32 pm

The lads were idiots, tbh at this point I was more pissed off with the people, men amongst them, who looked the other way when they saw how the gang of scroats were acting.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Syl wrote:The lads were idiots, tbh at this point I was more pissed off with the people, men amongst them, who looked the other way when they saw how the gang of scroats were acting.

Those men must have been Yankees. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum