NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow

5 posters

Go down

'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow Empty 'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:04 pm

More than 2,300 schools across the UK are closed because of snow and ice today - but in many cases staff being unable to get to work has been blamed.
In Wales around 500 schools are closed, 400 will not open today in Birmingham and approximately 300 are shut in both Staffordshire and Gloucestershire.
Critics branded the closures ‘ridiculous’ and said headteachers were ‘too quick’ to close their doors to pupils in bad weather
Many parents have expressed their disbelief because their local schools have been closed because of snow - even though they haven't got any.
Howard Webster‏ wrote: 'I can't ever remember a time when my school was closed because of the weather: We're breeding a generation of wimps governed by a generation scared s***less by health and safety legislation'.

A large proportion of schools cited staff being able to travel in as the main reason for closures. Health and safety for staff and students is the other main reason.  
Many parents have been forced to ask take holiday or find emergency childcare this morning.
Amy Coxhill‏ tweeted: 'Staff are expected to get in!! In 19 years I have never had a snow day when I've not been expected to get in'.
Drapers Academy, which runs a number of schools in Romford, East London, said it was closing because staff did not think they would be able to get in.
In a letter to parents, headteachers said: ‘A number of our staff are predicting it will be too treacherous tomorrow to get into school from where they live.
‘Although the snow is forecast to stop around 9pm, with freezing temperatures the roads will be icy and dangerous.’
While some parents welcomed a ‘snow day’ and said they did not feel safe driving, others were incredulous.
Michelle Skeels wrote on Facebook: ‘How ridiculous... it will be melted by tomorrow.’
Margaret Morrissey, of campaign group Parents Outloud, said: ‘I think the schools are too quick to close, it is the easy option.
‘I am of the older generation, and went to school in the 40s and 50s in the East Midlands, where we had a lot of snow, and I don’t think I can remember having one day off because of the weather.
‘Parents have to take a day off or find child care. I understand that in some rural areas where it is really bad, it would be dangerous.
‘But I think the decision to close all of the schools in a city as big as Birmingham is quite frankly ridiculous. What would happen if countries like Russia did this? Their children would never get an education.’ 

Some have claimed that schools would rather shut to avoid increased absences skew their attendance figures. 

As a result of the snow and freezing conditions, Birmingham City Council has been forced to cancel all council-run school and related transport services on Monday, the authority said.
More than 200 schools will be closed in Gloucestershire, and more than 100 in Shropshire.
In Wales 500 schools are shut including 71 in Flintshire and 49 in Denbighshire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5166771/Parents-fury-thousands-schools-closed.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow Empty Re: 'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow

Post by Cass Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Better to be safe than sorry. They can always make up the day during the rest of the school year.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow Empty Re: 'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow

Post by Guest Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 pm

This is what happens when liberals take over, a generation of pathetic snowflakes

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:38 pm

'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow 1399249160

The parents are the bigger self-entitled and over-privileged snowflakes...

Whinging and whining because tney have to take a day off work from that second job they took on so they could buy a new car every four years and take an overseas holiday every other year..

Have to wonder why some of those selfish prats even have kids in the first place ?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: 'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow 1399249160

The parents are the bigger self-entitled and over-privileged snowflakes...

Whinging and whining because tney have to take a day off work from that second job they took on so they could buy a new car every four years and take an overseas holiday every other year..

Have to wonder why some of those selfish prats even have kids in the first place ?

You're rather assuming there, Wolf! Lots of people firstly, don't get paid if they take a day off (and Christmas is coming), and secondly, many people can't just ring their bosses and simply take time off without repercussions. You forget, a single parent like me, for example, needs to make up her hours to even qualify for a decent wage and tax credits.

This isn't the fault of the parents, it's the fault of the local councils who should have been out gritting the roads the night before. My daughter's school and my son's, were open, due to the brillant workforce of the caretakers who were clearing the pathways and playground at 5am this morning. There's no excuse tfor any of this - we all know bad weather is coming.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 pm

100% CORRECT Eddie, Question for Wolfie, when did you last go to work in the snow?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 am

nicko wrote:
100%   CORRECT Eddie,      Question for Wolfie,   when did you last go to work in the snow?

Laughing

Snow,  what's that  ???

The equivalent around here would be 40+°C heatwaves,  or maybe 'flash' flooding in some places...

These days some parents will whinge and whine if all the classrooms aren't air-conditioned --  even though, a/c wasn't even introduced into many classrooms until a couple of decades ago..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm

'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow Img_8721
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 pm

nicko wrote:
100%   CORRECT Eddie,      Question for Wolfie,   when did you last go to work in the snow?

'We're breeding a generation of wimps': Parents' fury as THOUSANDS of schools are closed because 'not enough teachers can make it in' through snow 3738099605

To actually answer your question, nicko...

June/July, 1980 -- while I was working out an Orange..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down