NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

+4
veya_victaous
'Wolfie
Eilzel
HoratioTarr
8 posters

Go down

Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia Empty Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 am

Same-sex marriage supporters have gathered across Australia for the landmark announcement of the same-sex marriage postal survey results.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics announced the findings of the voluntary vote at a special hearing in Federal Parliament on Wednesday morning, with a majority of 61.6 per cent in favour of legalising gay marriage.
Thousands of 'Yes' advocates have erupted in celebration at the designated areas throughout the country, including the State Library of Victoria in Melbourne and Prince Alfred Park in Sydney.
Emotional embraces, tears of joy and an overwhelming message of equality has washed over the nation after months of debate, abuse and pain.  
The 'Yes' campaign received 7,817,247 votes compared to 4,873,987 'No' votes, a significant victory for the campaign. 
The returned ballots amounted for 79.5 per cent of the population, a strong response from the public to the controversial $122 million postal vote.   

The onus will now be on politicians to pass a bill in parliament to legalise same-sex marriage, allowing Australia to join a host of other countries including the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Sweden and Canada who have already changed their marriage laws.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5083209/Marriage-equality-supporters-gather-sex-results.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia Empty Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by Guest Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 am

HoratioTarr wrote:Same-sex marriage supporters have gathered across Australia for the landmark announcement of the same-sex marriage postal survey results.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics announced the findings of the voluntary vote at a special hearing in Federal Parliament on Wednesday morning, with a majority of 61.6 per cent in favour of legalising gay marriage.
Thousands of 'Yes' advocates have erupted in celebration at the designated areas throughout the country, including the State Library of Victoria in Melbourne and Prince Alfred Park in Sydney.
Emotional embraces, tears of joy and an overwhelming message of equality has washed over the nation after months of debate, abuse and pain.  
The 'Yes' campaign received 7,817,247 votes compared to 4,873,987 'No' votes, a significant victory for the campaign. 
The returned ballots amounted for 79.5 per cent of the population, a strong response from the public to the controversial $122 million postal vote.   

The onus will now be on politicians to pass a bill in parliament to legalise same-sex marriage, allowing Australia to join a host of other countries including the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Sweden and Canada who have already changed their marriage laws.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5083209/Marriage-equality-supporters-gather-sex-results.html

Great news

+1

Back to top Go down

Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia Empty Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 am

Awesome news! Though now it's for the Aussie government to actually act on this. And watch support grow and grow when people realise gay weddings don't bring the apocalypse lol

Thanks for sharing Horatio cheers
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 am

Eilzel wrote:Awesome news! Though now it's for the Aussie government to actually act on this. And watch support grow and grow when people realise gay weddings don't bring the apocalypse lol

Thanks for sharing Horatio cheers

It is wonderful and about time the whole world embraced it.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:14 am

It always surprises it has taken Oz this long, still better late than never Smile

Religion fucks it for a lot of the world though...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 am

G'Day

Check an earlier thread on this topic from a couple of months ago,  and you will find I was telling veya that I was voting "Yes"  --  and that I expected the results to be at least/roughly 60% in favour...

So,  I was pretty close there..

However, as I've also pointed out previously, this doesn't directly affect me personally --  as I'm not gay,  nor married, and I don't hold "marriage" to be as 'sacred' and 'holy' and 'pre-ordained' as some narrowed bigots do. As I said before, I don't believe in standing in anyone's way if they want to punish themselves in such a way, and aren't hurting anyone else in the process..

@eilzel  --  you can blame our current conservative guvm'nt for dragging the chain on this --  they should have had a parliamentary vote on it 4 years ago, but former_PM Tony Abbott and his cronies have been campaigning against same sex marriage for much longer again...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:13 am

it's great that Yes campaign came through with a win even if this is just a ridiculously expensive opinion poll with no legally binding (and you can bet the religotards are already try their next delaying tactics)

there was some fear that this would be Australia's brexit/trump and another testament to man's idiocy and complacency
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 am

I think there needs to be a second vote because voters were misled and didn't know what they voted for

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 am

Brilliant news and about time.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:28 am

smelly-bandit wrote:I think there needs to be a second vote because voters were misled and didn't know what they voted for

You of all people should be supporting this!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:I think there needs to be a second vote because voters were misled and didn't know what they voted for

Why??

I don't live in Australia

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:07 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Why??

She said "supporting", not voting.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:21 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Why??

Nothing to do with the country.

You are now deliberately trying to be obtuse!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Good on Australia. cheers

Proves they are not all cork dangling strong in tharm thick in thead wingers.

(Just kidding Veya) Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia 4211521542
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down