NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man Shuts Down Anti-Abortion Argument By Asking One Question

+3
Original Quill
nicko
eddie
7 posters

Go down

Man Shuts Down Anti-Abortion Argument By Asking One Question Empty Man Shuts Down Anti-Abortion Argument By Asking One Question

Post by eddie Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Writer laid out the dishonesty of pro-choice zealots on Twitter

The topic of abortion is one of those issues that, like gun control, or where you stand on President Trump, has become so divisive that thinking rationally has taken a backseat to emotion and politics.

A writer on Twitter laid the situation bare with one simple question.

His name is Patrick S. Tomlinson, and he’s a science fiction writer. Last week, he took to Twitter to lay out the one question he’s been asking the “life begins at conception” contingent of anti-abortionists for ten years. In the decade he’s been asking it, he claims he’s never gotten a straight, or honest, answer.

Here are his tweets, compiled together:

Here it is. You're in a fertility clinic. Why isn't important. The fire alarm goes off. You run for the exit. As you run down this hallway, you hear a child screaming from behind a door. You throw open the door and find a five-year-old child crying for help. They're in one corner of the room.
In the other corner, you spot a frozen container labeled "1000 Viable Human Embryos." The smoke is rising. You start to choke. You know you can grab one or the other, but not both before you succumb to smoke inhalation and die, saving no one.

Do you:
A) save the child, or
B) save the thousand embryos?

There is no "C." "C" means you all die.

In a decade of arguing with anti-abortion people about the definition of human life, I have never gotten a single straight A or B answer to this question. And I never will.

They will never answer honestly, because we all instinctively understand the right answer is "A." A human child is worth more than a thousand embryos. Or ten thousand. Or a million. Because they are not the same, not morally, not ethically, not biologically.

Read more and see the tweets: http://www.scarymommy.com/patrick-s-tomlinson-twitter-abortion/?utm_source=FB
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Man Shuts Down Anti-Abortion Argument By Asking One Question Empty Re: Man Shuts Down Anti-Abortion Argument By Asking One Question

Post by nicko Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:47 pm

I'D save the child, it's a small human, the other, not human yet !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Man Shuts Down Anti-Abortion Argument By Asking One Question Empty Re: Man Shuts Down Anti-Abortion Argument By Asking One Question

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 pm

How does the question relate to abortion? I agree that the choice is saving the boy (A). But that's me.

Most abortions do not take place at the cost of a live child. It is genetic material (primarily proteins). So, its a question of how much you value protein, and is it the equivalent of a living person?

Of course he has never gotten a straight answer, because that's the crux of the debate. People are forced by the question to describe a position on a continuum, not a straight answer.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 pm

A burning hut in Vietnam, a Baby crying inside, a VC running away carrying his gun. Do you save the Baby, or chase after the VC who could go on to kill your Soldiers if you don't shoot him?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Original Quill wrote:How does the question relate to abortion?  I agree that the choice is saving the boy (A).  But that's me.

Most abortions do not take place at the cost of a live child.  It is genetic material (primarily proteins).  So, its a question of how much you value protein, and is it the equivalent of a living person?

Of course he has never gotten a straight answer, because that's the crux of the debate.  People are forced by the question to describe a position on a continuum, not a straight answer.

WTF?
Most abortionists place a living child first.
Why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:How does the question relate to abortion?  I agree that the choice is saving the boy (A).  But that's me.

Most abortions do not take place at the cost of a live child.  It is genetic material (primarily proteins).  So, its a question of how much you value protein, and is it the equivalent of a living person?

Of course he has never gotten a straight answer, because that's the crux of the debate.  People are forced by the question to describe a position on a continuum, not a straight answer.

WTF?
Why?

What did I say?

Original Quill wrote:I agree that the choice is saving the boy (A).

I am pro-choice. I have a hard time seeing equivalency between a living person, and genetic material having the potential to becoming a living person.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:42 pm

nicko wrote:A burning hut in Vietnam,   a Baby crying inside, a VC running away carrying his gun.  Do you save the Baby, or chase after the VC who could go on to kill your Soldiers if you don't shoot him?

I do see your point. But the difference is what philosophers call teleology...the distance between here/now, and the eventual outcome. Most people favor the immediate over the eventual...particularly if the eventual is only speculative.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:49 pm

I'd have to save the child that already knows what life is about - embryo's do not know as they are not fully formed into humans as yet .

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:33 am

eddie wrote:

The topic of abortion is one of those issues that, like gun control, or where you stand on President Trump, has become so divisive that thinking rationally has taken a backseat to emotion and politics.

His name is Patrick S. Tomlinson, and he’s a science fiction writer. Last week, he took to Twitter to lay out the one question he’s been asking the “life begins at conception” contingent of anti-abortionists for ten years. In the decade he’s been asking it, he claims he’s never gotten a straight, or honest, answer.

Here it is. You're in a fertility clinic. Why isn't important. The fire alarm goes off. You run for the exit. As you run down this hallway, you hear a child screaming from behind a door. You throw open the door and find a five-year-old child crying for help. They're in one corner of the room.
In the other corner, you spot a frozen container labeled "1000 Viable Human Embryos." The smoke is rising. You start to choke. You know you can grab one or the other, but not both before you succumb to smoke inhalation and die, saving no one.

Do you:
A) save the child, or

In a decade of arguing with anti-abortion people about the definition of human life, I have never gotten a single straight A or B answer to this question. And I never will.

They will never answer honestly, because we all instinctively understand the right answer is "A." A human child is worth more than a thousand embryos. Or ten thousand. Or a million. Because they are not the same, not morally, not ethically, not biologically.

Read more and see the tweets:  http://www.scarymommy.com/patrick-s-tomlinson-twitter-abortion/?utm_source=FB

Nailed it. The honest answer from anyone speaks volumes. Twisted Evil
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:17 am

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:

WTF?
Why?

What did I say?

Original Quill wrote:I agree that the choice is saving the boy (A).

I am pro-choice.  I have a hard time seeing equivalency between a living person, and genetic material having the potential to becoming a living person.

I agree and clearly misread first what you wrote.

I am pro-choice and it was a great test that has been devised here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:18 am

eddie wrote:

Do you:
A) save the child, or

Read more and see the tweets:  http://www.scarymommy.com/patrick-s-tomlinson-twitter-abortion/?utm_source=FB

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Surely even an avid pro lifer would have to choose the living child.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:39 pm

When burning, embryo's don't scream !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:17 am

Syl wrote:Surely even an avid pro lifer would have to choose the living child.

and by doing so prove that an embryo is not a child and therefore the anti-abortion argument that is often used in the USA that life beings at conception is a fallacy Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:53 am

veya_victaous wrote:

and by doing so prove that an embryo is not a child and therefore the anti-abortion argument that is often used in the USA that life beings at conception is a fallacy Wink

Of course its a fallacy, but not in the minds of the avid pro lifer.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 am

Syl wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

until they have to choose been saving a child and 1000 embryos Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:29 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:

And maybe they would choose the embryos....how do we know?

Another hypothetical question was asked on a forum I was on once....Fire in building, a young child you have never met in one room, in the other your pet cat, you can only save one......one person said she would definitely choose her cat because she loved him and she didn't know the child.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:38 am

Syl wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:

Another hypothetical question was asked on a forum I was on once....Fire in building, a young child you have never met in one room, in the other your pet cat, you can only save one......one person said she would definitely choose her cat because she loved him and she didn't know the child.

did you read the OP?
that is what the guy asks them and they never say the embryos
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 am

Arrow

The reason that several of those "pro-lifers" reportedly weren't able to even answer the question properly at the time he had first asked them, probably comes down to that 'internal conflict' that they have created in their own minds...

Even though most of them know that in real life they would most likely grab the child and run (rather than stand there overthinking the issues --  and both die..),  they don't want to admit to that more obvious choice in answer to him..

Because they know that by admitting to such a choice,  they have also demonstrated to him --  and to themselves  --  that their claimed "pro-life" position really wasn't as strong and unchanging as they previously claimed  ?        What a Face
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:

did you read the OP?
that is what the guy asks them and they never say the embryos

I did read the OP.
Apparently they don't say the living child either.

"In a decade of arguing with anti-abortion people about the definition of human life, I have never gotten a single straight A or B answer to this question. And I never will".

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down