NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We don't have a television

+4
Victorismyhero
Syl
nicko
Raggamuffin
8 posters

Go down

We don't have a television  Empty We don't have a television

Post by Guest Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:57 pm

We haven't had a television for 3 years now - we decided to get rid and do away with the licence simply because we were never watching it .

Our friends are shocked when they find out we do not have a television they just can't believe we can survive without one lol .

Could you live without a television in the house ?
Just thought this would be interesting as it was discussed at work today and I found it amusing that people found it amazing we do not own or watch television .

Back to top Go down

We don't have a television  Empty Re: We don't have a television

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:01 pm

I don't watch TV actually. I watch things on You Tube, and I sometimes watch things on the ITV player, but not on the TV.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 pm

I get up around 5 am and switch on the TV, to listen to the news. It's then left on till around 11 pm. Got to admit we don't take much notice of it. Our cat likes the wild life programs though.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I don't watch TV actually. I watch things on You Tube, and I sometimes watch things on the ITV player, but not on the TV.

That's exactly why we decided to get rid it was a waste of money paying the licence - I can honestly say hand on heart I don't miss it at all and neither does my husband .

My grandson moans when he is here though because he can't watch television lol - he was moaning today about it so i had to put some cartoons on youtube for him Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I don't watch TV actually. I watch things on You Tube, and I sometimes watch things on the ITV player, but not on the TV.

That's exactly why we decided to get rid it was a waste of money paying the licence - I can honestly say hand on heart I don't miss it at all and neither does my husband .

My grandson moans when he is here though because he can't watch television lol - he was moaning today about it so i had to put some cartoons on youtube for him Razz

I have an ancient TV which I sometimes use to watch DVDs or videos. I can't watch TV on it though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I have an ancient TV which I sometimes use to watch DVDs or videos. I can't watch TV on it though.

We have an old video recorder that we kept and old videos which we don't watch but we kept it because we used to film all our kids plays at school and assemblies . We arranged a night with our adult kids and their cousins to come and watch all the parties we had filmed from when they were small they were cringing at some of them it was so funny to see . They really enjoyed themselves though .

I have a video of my eldest son's 6 birthday and he bit his finger while eating a sausage roll ( my goodness how bad is that a sausage roll ) Razz he is still healthy i have to say Wink
but it was funny he cried and ran to me on it but for me it was so special and brought back memories and so happy we kept those video's and the old video recorder .

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:12 am

I do watch TV, now and again we catch a brilliant drama, and i do love Corrie.
I could definately live without it though.....most things can be watched online now.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:48 am

Likewise we dont have a TV. We are too busy with other things and if I want to watch something theres always iplayer or netflix.
Since we spend so much time up at our woodland we neither need nor want a TV.

BTW we are up at the wood right now. Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:07 am

Lord Foul wrote:Likewise we dont have a TV. We are too busy with other things and if I want to watch something theres always iplayer or netflix.

Life is so much better without a television I find and like you say - there are so many lovely things to do instead .
We walk for an hour every night along the sea front or the countryside during the summer - but we just don't miss the television .Like you if we want to watch something we can watch it on iplayer or youtube , we don't have netflix .

happy days Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:12 am

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:We haven't had a television for 3 years now - we decided to get rid and do away with the licence simply because we were never watching it .

Our friends are shocked when they find out we do not have a television they just can't believe we can survive without one lol .

Just thought this would be interesting as it was discussed at work today and I found it amusing that people found it amazing we do not own or watch television .

good for you Vod

I haven't had a tv now for about 6 years or so. i used to watch the eastenders and corrie like religiously but just decided one day it was a pile of shite ditched the tv and haven't missed it in the slightest

anything i really want to watch i can normally get on youtube, we have netflix and ''watch series'', radio, books, even going out and meeting real people lol

when i worked in the care home, there was about 15 people one time congregated in the staff room. i announced that tv was shite and i didn't have one. surprisingly nearly half the people there agreed with me and didnt bother with it either. the other half seemed baffled as to how i could survive without one

i think tv is dying out tbh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:21 am

gelico wrote:
Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:We haven't had a television for 3 years now - we decided to get rid and do away with the licence simply because we were never watching it .

good for you Vod

I haven't had a tv now for about 6 years or so.  i used to watch the eastenders and corrie like religiously but just decided one day it was a pile of shite ditched the tv and haven't missed it in the slightest

anything i really want to watch i can normally get on youtube, we have netflix and ''watch series'', radio, books, even going out and meeting real people lol

when i worked in the care home, there was about 15 people one time congregated in the staff room.  i announced that tv was shite and i didn't have one.  surprisingly nearly half the people there agreed with me and didnt bother with it either.  the other half seemed baffled as to how i could survive without one

agree about the soap's i also used to watch them religiously and agree they are total shit Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:22 am

gelico wrote:

good for you Vod

I haven't had a tv now for about 6 years or so.  i used to watch the eastenders and corrie like religiously but just decided one day it was a pile of shite ditched the tv and haven't missed it in the slightest

when i worked in the care home, there was about 15 people one time congregated in the staff room.  i announced that tv was shite and i didn't have one.  surprisingly nearly half the people there agreed with me and didnt bother with it either.  the other half seemed baffled as to how i could survive without one

I never really liked Eastenders, but I used to watch Corrie. I stopped watching it nearly two years ago with the "winter wonderland" stuff. I occasionally watch a bit on the ITV player just to catch up, but I've mostly lost track of it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:22 am

Likewise with Emmerdale - I used to love that, but I don't watch it now.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:36 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Likewise with Emmerdale - I used to love that, but I don't watch it now.

My mumlikes watching coronation street and Emmerdale - she is a widow as you know just recently so its company for her so she enjoys the television .

She sometimes watching catch up while I'm there and I must admit its all load of rubbish lol but bless her she likes it and at 84 years old there isn't much for her to do as she is in a wheelchair and only gets out when i take her .

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:08 pm

I pay Sky a subscription every month and I must watch about three hours TV in total, in a month. I rarely watch it - I find most Tv programmes absolutely brain-numbingly boring, especially magazine shows and reality shows.
My daughter watches some TV but not loads actually - she's not a massive TV fan either.

For those reasons I'm getting rid of Sky this very month.

The only stuff I like watching are the dramas (like dr Foster) or the American shows which I am sure I can watch on the internet.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Likewise we dont have a TV. We are too busy with other things and if I want to watch something theres always iplayer or netflix.

Life is so much better without a television I find and like you say - there are so many lovely things to do instead .
We walk for an hour every night along the sea front or the countryside during the summer - but we just don't miss the television .Like you if we want to watch something we can watch it on iplayer or youtube , we don't have netflix .

happy days Smile

I agree with both of you in a way.
When we are in Wales we do have a TV, but internet and even mobile signals are so bad we rarely bother trying to use either.
We are not as isolated as LF because we are in a static on a site, but its almost on the beach, surrounded by mountains and river, and its just a different lifestyle, very peaceful.

I think technology stresses people out, especially when its used for 'pleasure'.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:25 pm

I don't watch much tele, I go on utube more. I do like the new series that are on like Liar, etc.

Hub loves the sports so we pay for Sky, so expensive. I could live without a tele tbh.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:02 pm

eddie wrote:I pay Sky a subscription every month and I must watch about three hours TV in total, in a month. I rarely watch it - I find most Tv programmes absolutely brain-numbingly boring, especially magazine shows and reality shows.
My daughter watches some TV but not loads actually - she's not a massive TV fan either.

For those reasons I'm getting rid of Sky this very month.

The only stuff I like watching are the dramas (like dr Foster) or the American shows which I am sure I can watch on the internet.

If dr Foster is on ITV you can watch that free on itvhub and don't need a licence . For what you watch eddie you could do away with the licence fee and just watch on itvhub like i do if i am interested in anything .

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:05 pm

It's on the BBC but I'm looking into cancelling Sky this very day. I rang at 11:30am and I was told by a nice robotic lady that I'd have to wait for up to an hour to speak to somebody. Fuck that shit. I'll ring back another time.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:11 pm

eddie wrote:It's on the BBC but I'm looking into cancelling Sky this very day. I rang at 11:30am and I was told by a nice robotic lady that I'd have to wait for up to an hour to speak to somebody. Fuck that shit. I'll ring back another time.
Don't blame you its ridiculous the waiting time I remember that well when we used to have sky anything wrong you waiting for ages .

You can go online on chat on sky - tell you want to cancel it and not prepared to wait an hour in a queue .

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Without a TV you are lost, because cable TV is the medium today. Along with the computer.

But I put strict limits on it, because otherwise it interferes with a heaving reading schedule.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:54 pm

I only watch BBC for their excellent Wildlife programs.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Syl wrote:

happy days Smile

I agree with both of you in a way.
When we are in Wales we do have a TV, but internet and even mobile signals  are so bad we rarely bother trying to use either.
We are not as isolated as LF because we are in a static on a site, but its almost on the beach, surrounded by mountains and river, and its just a different lifestyle, very peaceful.

I think technology stresses people out, especially when its used for 'pleasure'.
We are quite isolated here BUT we have an excellent 4G signal from EE. So I swaped my phone provider from O2. At the same time I took Ee`s home broadband package and dumped the sky broadband (I had dumped sky TV 5+ years ago)

FOR the same price Iwas paying for crappy 4 Mbs broadband from sky I now get the high speed fibre from EE plus this tablet and 5gigabytes mobile date per month plus 500 mins plus free texts. So I'm a happy bunny
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm stuck in the house most of the time, the TV is on 18 hrs a day, mostly as background noise. If I hear something important i'll put down my Book and take notice, as said, I will watch Wildlife programs.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:38 pm

nicko wrote:I'm stuck in the house most of the time,  the TV is on 18 hrs a day,  mostly as background noise.    If I hear something important i'll put down my Book and take notice,   as said, I will watch Wildlife programs.

I understand that nicko - like my mum on her own its company .

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:41 pm

nicko wrote:I'm stuck in the house most of the time,  the TV is on 18 hrs a day,  mostly as background noise.    If I hear something important i'll put down my Book and take notice,   as said, I will watch Wildlife programs.

The David Attenborough programes are fantastic. My Oh watches a lot of programmes on the Discovery channel too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 am

it seems weird to have a TV set and not get TV signal.

it's called 'free to air' here there are no license fees, 'pay TV' is cable TV like in the USA.
I do watch TV but not much, I wouldn't pay for it. I mainly put on the news while I eat dinner etc.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 am

A friend moved here from New Zealand - went to buy a TV and when you buy one here you have to register your address - can't have anyone buying a TV without a licence .
Well my friend asked why do you need my address I'm just buying a television ? You need to get a licence to watch TV - my friend though that meant taking some sort of test to watch the TV - lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down