NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'I had to tell my children mummy would probably die': Husband's heartbreaking statement as 'remorseless' cyclist, 20, who mowed down his wife is cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of 'furious and wanton driving'

5 posters

Go down

'I had to tell my children mummy would probably die': Husband's heartbreaking statement as 'remorseless' cyclist, 20, who mowed down his wife is cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of 'furious and wanton driving' Empty 'I had to tell my children mummy would probably die': Husband's heartbreaking statement as 'remorseless' cyclist, 20, who mowed down his wife is cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of 'furious and wanton driving'

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:56 pm

The husband of a mother-of-two who died after being hit by a thrill-seeking cyclist on an illegal bike with no front brakes today described telling their children she would not survive.

Matthew Briggs wants a new Death by Dangerous Cycling law after Charlie Alliston was cleared of his wife Kim's manslaughter but convicted of a Victorian-era 'furious and wanton driving' charge.
The self-styled 'anti-social' cyclist faces up to two years in jail because he has failed to show an 'iota of remorse', an Old Bailey judge warned him today.

Mrs Briggs, a 44-year-old HR consultant, suffered 'catastrophic' injuries when Alliston smashed into her on Old Street on February 12 last year and she died in hospital a week later.

Mr Briggs, who attended every day of the trial, said in his victim impact statement: 'That evening I had to bring my children to the hospital and tell them that mummy would probably die.

'Over the next week my children had to say goodbye to their mother as she lay in the intensive care unit. Our world fell apart. I lost my wife and my best friend. My kids had to say goodbye to their mummy.'

Alliston, now 20, later blamed her for the collision in posts online and said she was lucky not to kill him and damage his new 'fixie' bike, which had no front brakes and is meant for use on a velodrome.
The former courier and scaffolder also said she had been on her phone - but it was proved in court she wasn't.

Today Alliston was acquitted of her manslaughter but found guilty of 'wanton and furious driving' when he hit her as she crossed Old Street, east London, on February 12 last year.

Today an Old Bailey jury found him guilty of causing bodily harm to Mrs Briggs by 'wanton or furious driving' under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act.

In a legal first, he was also accused of the manslaughter of Mrs Briggs, of Lewisham, south London, but he was cleared.
The couple had been together for 26 years before the fatal crash in February.

Mr Briggs said: 'That evening I had to bring my children to the hospital and tell them that mummy would probably die.
'Over the next week my children had to say goodbye to their mother as she lied in the intensive care unit.'
Alliston's mother and step father wept in the public gallery and he will be sentenced on September 18.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4812962/Cyclist-ploughed-mother-manslaughter.html
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'I had to tell my children mummy would probably die': Husband's heartbreaking statement as 'remorseless' cyclist, 20, who mowed down his wife is cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of 'furious and wanton driving' Empty Re: 'I had to tell my children mummy would probably die': Husband's heartbreaking statement as 'remorseless' cyclist, 20, who mowed down his wife is cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of 'furious and wanton driving'

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 pm

What a little fucking shit. Showed absolutely no remorse, and blamed the poor woman for being on her phone at the time of the collision when it was later proved she wasn't.

In a reference to an American bike stunt film-maker, he tweeted: 'The time when you first take your brakes off and feeling like you're in a @lucasbrunelle movie.'

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'I had to tell my children mummy would probably die': Husband's heartbreaking statement as 'remorseless' cyclist, 20, who mowed down his wife is cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of 'furious and wanton driving' Empty Re: 'I had to tell my children mummy would probably die': Husband's heartbreaking statement as 'remorseless' cyclist, 20, who mowed down his wife is cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of 'furious and wanton driving'

Post by Syl Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 pm

He is a nasty little waste of space, and the sentence expected will be less than two years, which is a bloody disgrace.
He may as well have been driving a car with no brakes for the damage he did.

His attitude straight after the impact and ever since sums him up...worthless trash.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Syl wrote:He is a nasty little waste of space, and the sentence expected will be less than two years, which is a bloody disgrace.
He may as well have been driving a car with no brakes for the damage he did.

His attitude straight after the impact and ever since sums him up...worthless trash.

Let's hope he gets to be Mr Big's bitch.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Yep....what goes around comes around....and sometimes it comes in mysterious ways.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Hateful cretin. No remorse whatsoever!

Let's hope he gets more than just 2 years, he was at fault and he killed a wife and mother.

I wish there were laws as regards cyclist.

They skip the lights, come up on your near side when you're turning left, go from pavement to road, stick in the middle of the road, and many have no idea how to ride a bike on roads. They're a bloody pain.

Why dont they get taxed, they use the same roads cars do.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 am

They don't use the roads where I live, They treat the paths as short cuts.

I thought it was illegal to ride on the FOOT path, except for Children the law should be enforced.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:04 pm

magica wrote:

Let's hope he gets more than just 2 years, he was at fault and he killed a wife and mother.

They skip the lights, come up on your near side when you're turning left, go from pavement to road, stick in the middle of the road, and many have no idea how to ride a bike on roads. They're a bloody pain.

Idea

Over here,  'cyclists are covered by the road rules...

As for paying rego',  that simply isn't practicable :

If you apply a "roads tax" on them, it would be 'revenue negative' --  that is, it would cost more than it earnt,  to tax them,  so that your Transport dept would be losing money..
Likewise, trying to charge them for accident insurance would also be a loser, for similar reasons.

Secondly, what about families, that may own several pushies --  how do you register the children's bikes (or alternatively, license those children); could get expensive for some low-->moderate income families ???

And how would you enforce it, anyways..

Much more practical to spend money on education --  and enforcing road rules compliance, and with respect to bicycle use and misuse...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:15 pm

nicko wrote:They don't use the roads where I live,    They treat the paths as short cuts.

I thought it was illegal to ride on the FOOT path,   except for Children the law should be enforced.

Smile

Here in NSW, children under 12 are allowed to ride ("safely"..) on the footpath...

And with groups of young children, they are allowed one ("responsible") adult rider for every four kids;     (legally, any extra parents should be banished onto the road..).
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Militant 'fixie' bike fans defend convicted illegal cyclist who left a mother fatally injured in horrific crash and blame HER 'for stepping out into the road.

• Some cyclists on forum where Alliston bought his bike claim there's 'witch hunt' 
  • 'Fixie' bike had no front brake and he could not stop as Kim Briggs crossed road
  • Alliston shouted at her as she lay in the street and blamed her in several posts 
  • Her husband Matthew has called for a new Death by Dangerous Cycling law 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4822476/Fixie-fans-defend-illegal-cyclist-crashed-mother.html#ixzz4qmBtm6OU 

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:05 pm

Idea

The very fact that Alliston was using a modified track racing bike on the street, and riding without due care to other road users and pedestrians, shows what a complete nutter he is --  not merely "anti social"...

In many other countries, he could likely be sitting in jail right now..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:20 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
magica wrote:

Idea

Over here,  'cyclists are covered by the road rules...

As for paying rego',  that simply isn't practicable :

If you apply a "roads tax" on them, it would be 'revenue negative' --  that is, it would cost more than it earnt,  to tax them,  so that your Transport dept would be losing money..
Likewise, trying to charge them for accident insurance would also be a loser, for similar reasons.

Secondly, what about families, that may own several pushies --  how do you register the children's bikes (or alternatively, license those children); could get expensive for some low-->moderate income families ???

And how would you enforce it, anyways..

Much more practical to spend money on education --  and enforcing road rules compliance, and with respect to bicycle use and misuse...

I didn't think of kids bikes tbh. Adults must learn the roads though, children are taught road rules but not adults. Many get a bike and off they go, totally wrong. I totally agree (don't faint) with your last sentence.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down