NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages

+2
Syl
nicko
6 posters

Go down

Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages Empty Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages

Post by Guest Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:28 pm

An ally of Jeremy Corbyn is facing a backlash from female Labour MPs after calling for a consultation on introducing women-only train carriages. Chris Williamson, the shadow fire and emergency services ministers, suggested that the policy - previously proposed by Jeremy Coryn - should be revived. He was accused by female Labour MPs of "normalising" attacks on women and "taking feminist cues  from Saudi Arabia". Mr Williamson highlighted British Transport Police figures showing that the number of sexual offences on trains has doubled in five years.

16h
Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages TjXmHgUJ_normalChris Williamson MP 

✔@DerbyChrisW
Replying to @stellacreasy

[ltr]I didn't suggest imposing restrictions Stella, merely consulting on offering a choice in view of the statistics showing increased attacks[/ltr]

Follow
Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages 3tyHPNW6_normalstellacreasy @stellacreasy

[ltr]Doesn’t keep women safe to restrict their movements-it normalises attacks. We need to be clear they are problem, not women’s seating plans..[/ltr]

22:06 - 22 Aug 2017
[ltr]
He said: “It would be worth consulting about it. It was pooh-poohed (when Jeremy Corbyn suggested it), but these statistics seem to indicate there is some merit in examining that. “Complemented with having more guards on trains, it would be a way of combating these attacks, which have seen a very worrying increase in the past few years.[/ltr]

“I’m not saying it has to happen, but it may create a safe space. It would be a matter of personal choice whether someone wanted to make use of it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/23/jeremy-corbyn-ally-faces-furious-backlash-female-labour-mps/

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages Empty Re: Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages

Post by nicko Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:30 pm

NOW there's a proper Wanker !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages Empty Re: Jeremy Corbyn ally faces furious backlash from female Labour MPs over women-only train carriages

Post by Guest Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:44 pm

I Come From A Country Where There Are Women-Only Train Carriages. Trust Me UK, Say No

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/hari-srinivasan/i-come-from-a-country-whe_b_17807290.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:16 pm

I don't understand why people are so against this.
If ..as BTP figures have shown, sexual attacks on women travelling on trains has doubled in 5 years, something drastic has to happen....female only train carriages is one solution.

I imagine many women travelling alone, locked in a carriage with God knows who would feel nervous, its an option some women may be glad of.

Its certainly not normalising sex attacks...its a choice that a woman could either use or not.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Syl wrote:I don't understand why people are so against this.
If ..as BTP figures have shown, sexual attacks on women travelling on trains has doubled in 5 years, something drastic has to happen....female only train carriages is one solution.

I imagine many women travelling alone, locked in a carriage with God knows who would feel nervous, its an option some women may be glad of.

Its certainly not normalising sex attacks...its a choice that a woman could either use or not.

Because how would it ever be able to carry this out in practice? 

How in anyway would it stop any attacks?

It would require a guard on each train within that carriage.

I agree something has to happen, but can you see the train companies employing more people on trains, without then not charging women extra?

Even then would it prevent any attacks?

Then what about men who are also assaulted?

Are they then deemed lesser worth with assaults?

You protect all passengers, not create an unequal system

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 pm

It's so boring to have to keeping repeating myself, but I seem to remember saying this ages ago.   Jeremy Corbyn DID NOT SUGGEST THIS.   A women's charity that has been considering this for years asked him to put it forward to be discussed.   So he did.

The charity:

https://thewomensresourcecentre.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Making-the-case-for-women-only-July-2011.pdf

I do wish dumb people would check their facts.   Just because it's in the Telegraph etc doesn't make it the truth.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:51 pm

sassy wrote:It's so boring to have to keeping repeating myself, but I seem to remember saying this ages ago.   Jeremy Corbyn DID NOT SUGGEST THIS.   A women's charity that has been considering this for years asked him to put it forward to be discussed.   So he did.

The charity:

https://thewomensresourcecentre.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Making-the-case-for-women-only-July-2011.pdf

I do wish dumb people would check their facts.   Just because it's in the Telegraph etc doesn't make it the truth.

I suggest you go to Specsavers

They never claimed he suggested it, but that he proposed it.

The person claiming it was suggested by Corbyn, is Chris Williams.

Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Thorin wrote:
sassy wrote:It's so boring to have to keeping repeating myself, but I seem to remember saying this ages ago.   Jeremy Corbyn DID NOT SUGGEST THIS.   A women's charity that has been considering this for years asked him to put it forward to be discussed.   So he did.

The charity:

Doh

He didn't propose it DOH, he suggested that as a women's charity would like it looked into, it was looked into.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:54 pm

sassy wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Doh

He didn't propose it DOH, he suggested that as a women's charity would like it looked into, it was looked into.  

That is then suggesting and proposing

Doh

This is then backed by the MP

Is this all you are worried about on this thread?

Defending an idiot and not talking about the actual problem

Holy crap on a cracker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Thorin wrote:
sassy wrote:

Doh

Holy crap on a cracker

Always said your understanding of English was useless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:56 pm

sassy wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Doh

Holy crap on a cracker

Always said your understanding of English was useless.

So you are claiming the Labour MP is lying?

I am happy with that.

But thanks for showing you care more for the image of Corbyn, which was not even debated on this until you jumped in, than that of the victims of sexual abuse, which this is about in regards to trains.

What can I say

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Quite agree. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to. I've been stuck in a carriage with a nutter and had to pull the alarm, which I didn't want to do knowing the consequence of the train hold up, etc etc, but decided that my safety was more important.

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 pm

sassy wrote:

Quite agree.   If you don't want to use it, you don't have to.   I've been stuck in a carriage with a nutter and had to pull the alarm, which I didn't want to do knowing the consequence of the train hold up, etc etc, but decided that my safety was more important.

I agree with you both on this. Women travelling alone at night feel vulnerable, so if they want to, they can use these carriages. Mind you, nothings to stop a man getting on there, especially in the rush hour.

With guards losing their jobs, there will be no guards on long distance train journeys. I always felt safe with guards, shame they are about to be extinct.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:50 pm

magica wrote:
sassy wrote:

Quite agree.   If you don't want to use it, you don't have to.   I've been stuck in a carriage with a nutter and had to pull the alarm, which I didn't want to do knowing the consequence of the train hold up, etc etc, but decided that my safety was more important.

I agree with you both on this.  Women travelling alone at night feel vulnerable, so if they want to, they can use these carriages. Mind you, nothings to stop a man getting on there, especially in the rush hour.

With guards losing their jobs, there will be no guards on long distance train journeys. I always felt safe with guards, shame they are about to be extinct.
#

But that is the point to have guards on trains. As its not just women who are abused or assaulted.
That there is someone present walking through the trains, as you have on long distance trains with conductors. Pressure should be applied that all trains have guards on them. Again you would not be able to lock ajouning carriages, as the women would have to have access to toilets ect. So there would be nothing to enforce this in practice unless you had guards on the trains.

The purpose should be about protecting all passengers, not specifically some.
What about the elderly?
The disabled?
Are we going to have separate carriages for them also?

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 pm

sassy wrote:

What was the outcome?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Thorin wrote:
magica wrote:

I agree with you both on this.  Women travelling alone at night feel vulnerable, so if they want to, they can use these carriages. Mind you, nothings to stop a man getting on there, especially in the rush hour.

#

But that is the point to have guards on trains. As its not just women who are abused or assaulted.
That there is someone present walking through the trains, as you have on long distance trains with conductors. Pressure should be applied that all trains have guards on them. Again you would not be able to lock ajouning carriages, as the women would have to have access to toilets ect. So there would be nothing to enforce this in practice unless you had guards on the trains.

The purpose should be about protecting all passengers, not specifically some.
What about the elderly?
The disabled?
Are we going to have separate carriages for them also?

The thing is the companies like Southern in cahoots with the government want to save money, guards are losing jobs and soon there won't be any. The strike with Southern is about safety critical, but they are all going.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
sassy wrote:

What was the outcome?

The train brakes went on and when it came to a halt the guard came down the track to find out who had done it, I told him it was me and why, he stayed with me and the man and the railway police met us at the next station. Unfortunately, because he had only been threatening and was saying obscene things it was my word against his, so nothing could be proved. I was quite young at the time and the railway police were wonderful, told me even though they couldn't arrest him and had to let him go, they passed on his name to the ordinary police and said I had done the right thing. Took me a long time to be happy travelling on the railway by myself. At the time it was individual carriages. However, have had the same sort of thing happen in the kind of carriages we have today late at night with just a few people on board, but I just walked through until I found the guard. That's the other thing that worries me, them taking the guards away. If you have trouble there is no-one to turn to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Thorin wrote:

I agree something has to happen, but can you see the train companies employing more people on trains, without then not charging women extra?

I was meaning on trains with no access to a coridor, where once the train is moving you are isolated with whoever is in your carriage.
It would only require the guard on the station, who are there anyway,  to ensure no males entered the female only carriage.
Some women would pay extra for the security.
Obviouly it would stop men assaulting women if they are not allowed in the carriage.
Sexual assaults on males has not doubled on trains in 5 years...thats not  the point under discussion.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I was meaning on trains with no access to a coridor, where once the train is moving you are isolated with whoever is in your carriage.
It would only require the guard on the station, who are there anyway,  to ensure no males entered the female only carriage.
Obviouly it would stop men assaulting women if they are not allowed in the carriage.
Sexual assaults on males has not doubled on trains in 5 years...thats not  the point under discussion.

There is no such trains without corridors. Where again you then have people stranded if they want to use the toilet. So again its impractical to put into practice. But many stations are not even manned for the greater part of the day. Hence it would be better placed to have a guard on the train.

Again though your view only offers protection to one group, when the view here should be have all passengers protected. Its not just sexual assaults, but assaults, robberies, abuse etc. Are they now as victims not of need of protection also? So its very much the point of discussion, as you are elevating one set of victims above the rest, rendering the others of little value or protection.

What about the elderly?
What about those who are disabled?
What about those who are black/Asian ect racially abused and assualted?
What about those who are religious?

Where do you want to draw the line, when you miss the boat on this, that all passengers should have protection?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

There is no such trains without corridors. Where again you then have people stranded if they want to use the toilet. So again its impractical to put into practice. But many stations are not even manned for the greater part of the day. Hence it would be better placed to have a guard on the train.

Again though your view only offers protection to one group, when the view here should be have all passengers protected. Its not just sexual assaults, but assaults, robberies, abuse etc. Are they now as victims not of need of protection also? So its very much the point of discussion, as you are elevating one set of victims above the rest, rendering the others of little value or protection.

What about the elderly?

Where do you want to draw the line, when you miss the boat on this, that all passengers should have protection?

We went on a corridor less train in Wales a couple of years ago. The toilets were on the stations.

Providing a separate carriage for women isnt causing more violence for any other group, but its eliminating one sort of violence.
More guards and railway police are needed if other violence is escalating.

Sometimes you have to priorotise, if one group is more vulnerable than others they should be the main concern.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

What about the elderly?

We went on a corridor less train in Wales a couple of years ago. The toilets were on the stations.

Providing a separate carriage for women isnt causing more violence for any other group, but its eliminating one sort of violence.
More guards and railway police are needed if other violence is escalating.

Sometimes you have to priorotise, if one group is more vulnerable than others they should be the main concern.

It will fail to eliminate anything and those must be very old trains when in the rest of the Uk, they are modern, with toilets on the trains with corridors. I cannot think of anything worse than a poor women a lone in a carriage, where she then has no exit out through either corridor. If a sexual attacker got on her carriage. That would be even worse and with nobody to come to her assistance.

The other point is, that if we were to prioritize, then those sexually abuse based on numbers compared to assaults, would render them secondary, based on your thinking.

Some stats and info on this to show that its not just trains, but on stations as well. The biggest most major point you are missing.  That people of all ages both men and women, the disabled are victims of sex crimes. The number for assaults is also listed below.

Violence across the network has leapt by almost a third in the past five years with 8,979 assaults reported last year – or 25 a day – compared with 6,921 in 2010.

Overall there have been 46,016 vicious assaults over the period, including unprovoked knife attacks and pitched battles between football hooligans.

Critics last night described the UK rail network as a “playground for thugs and criminals” and warned the surge in attacks was “spiralling out of control”.

Labour’s Shadow Transport Secretary, Lilian Greenwood, said: “This is extremely concerning.

“Particularly since the information comes at a time when the Government is proposing funding cuts of up to 8% for the British Transport Police and some operators plan to reduce staffing on trains or at stations.”

Figures obtained by The Sunday Post under Freedom Of Information show there were 4,313 sexual assaults recorded at the UK’s train stations over the past five years.

The number has risen steeply from 544 in 2010 to 1,179 last year.

In Scotland, the country’s busiest stations – Glasgow Central, Glasgow Queen Street, Edinburgh Waverley and Edinburgh Haymarket – are the worst for violent and sexual crime.

Transport police south of the Border logged 191 violent and sex offences at Newcastle, 181 at York, 154 at Preston, 67 at Carlisle and 65 at Blackpool.

Thousands more were carried out in front of horrified commuters at London’s train and the capital’s underground stations.

https://www.sundaypost.com/news/scottish-news/railway-crime-safe-feel/

More than 6,000 sex offences were recorded over a five-year period on the rail network, a Freedom of Information request revealed.

Of these, at least 64 incidents related to victims under the age of 13, including two reports of rape, seven of sexual activity and 52 of sexual assault.

Dozens of youngsters aged between 13 and 15, two mentally ill passengers and nine men and women aged 70 or over have also been subjected to sex crimes.

The oldest person targeted by a sex attacker was an 84-year-old woman, while the youngest was a two-year-old girl, the figures show.

Lucy Hastings, director at Victim Support, said: "We know from supporting thousands of victims of sexual crimes every year that this can have a devastating and long lasting impact on people’s lives."

Southeastern, South West Trains, Southern and Great Western were found to be among the country's top 10 most sex crime-stricken companies.

So was Network Rail, which owns and manages a number of major stations across Britain, including Glasgow Central, Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool Lime Street, Leeds, King's Cross, London Bridge and Victoria.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/you-safe-britains-trains-five-8315817

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Unlike you Thor, who cant seem to offer any solution to the escalating sexual assaults on train passengers,i think designating certain carriages for women only....would be worth trying.
If the figures dont go down, scrap it, nothing is lost..

As for the escalating figures of other crimes of violence....obviously something needs to be done.
More guards, more railway police, more CCTV, heavier punishments for criminals.....Train companies make enough profit, maybe  they should reinvest some of it to protect their passengers.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 am

Syl wrote:Unlike you Thor, who cant seem to offer any solution to the escalating sexual assaults on train passengers,i think designating certain carriages for women only....would be worth trying.
If the figures dont go down, scrap it, nothing is lost..

As for the escalating figures of other crimes of violence....obviously something needs to be done.
More guards, more railway police, more CCTV, heavier punishments for criminals.....Train companies make enough profit, maybe  they should reinvest some of it to protect their passengers.

Really?
I already said all trains should have guards again, if you care to read back. All stations should be manned until the station closes.

The point here though is that people are arguing off elevating one group of victims above others and that is always when wrong when the problem is found on train and stations, with many different people as victims. Where such a method of women only carriages, has been used in places like India for years and has done nothing to curb sexual assaults. That is why I posted that link. We need to ensure all passengers are safe, whether on the train or at the station.

Last edited by Thorin on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:02 am

Night Thor...up early tomorrow....luckily i don'thave to travel by train to get wher i'm going.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:03 am

Syl wrote:Night Thor...up early tomorrow....luckily i don'thave to travel by train to get wher i'm going.

Night Syl

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:19 am

Sassy telling people to check their facts...!!!???

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Here'a a fact for you Tommy (BTW, has your avatar been photoshopped, the cat looks like it's doing a Nazi salute lol)

Britain considers women-only train carriages to tackle sexual assaults
Minister Claire Perry said today she was “absolutely determined” to do whatever it took to increase safety and reverse an increase in assaults.

Sep 29th 2014, 10:23 PM

BRITAIN MAY CONSIDER women-only carriages on trains in a bid to combat a rising number of sexual assaults on commuters, the transport minister said today.

Minister Claire Perry said she was “absolutely determined” to do whatever it took to increase safety and reverse an increase in assaults.

“They have introduced women-only seating in Japan because there is a particular problem with groping and low-level violence,” Perry said at the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham.

“It is a very interesting question and I will look at all ideas.”

The most recent figures from Britain’s transport police recorded a 21 percent annual increase in sexual offences in the year to March 2014.

http://www.thejournal.ie/britain-women-only-carriage-1697856-Sep2014/

As I said Tommy - facts. I do realise you don't have many at your disposal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Well she is another MP who fails to understand she is elevating one group of victims above all others based on gender. Where as seen by the stats I showed many people are victims of both assaults and sexual assaults. You do not tackle a problem, by pushing all other victims to one side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:31 pm

I don't have a problem with men on trains, but I do have a problem with noisy people - yacking on their phone, yacking loudly with someone else, drunks yacking loudly with each other, kids screaming and shouting and being encouraged to do so.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:29 pm

sassy wrote:Here'a a fact for you Tommy (BTW, has your avatar been photoshopped, the cat looks like it's doing a Nazi salute lol)

Britain considers women-only train carriages to tackle sexual assaults
Minister Claire Perry said today she was “absolutely determined” to do whatever it took to increase safety and reverse an increase in assaults.

Sep 29th 2014, 10:23 PM

BRITAIN MAY CONSIDER women-only carriages on trains in a bid to combat a rising number of sexual assaults on commuters, the transport minister said today.

Minister Claire Perry said she was “absolutely determined” to do whatever it took to increase safety and reverse an increase in assaults.

“They have introduced women-only seating in Japan because there is a particular problem with groping and low-level violence,” Perry said at the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham.

“It is a very interesting question and I will look at all ideas.”

The most recent figures from Britain’s transport police recorded a 21 percent annual increase in sexual offences in the year to March 2014.

http://www.thejournal.ie/britain-women-only-carriage-1697856-Sep2014/

As I said Tommy - facts.   I do realise you don't have many at your disposal.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/jailed-prolific-pervert-who-sexually-assaulted-six-women-on-the-tube/ar-BBAoXFO

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down