NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC's John Humphrys accused of 'xenophobia and sexism' after interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta

Go down

BBC's John Humphrys accused of 'xenophobia and sexism' after interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta Empty BBC's John Humphrys accused of 'xenophobia and sexism' after interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta

Post by Guest Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Veteran BBC presenter John Humphrys has been accused of xenophobia and sexism after an interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta. Listeners to BBC’s Today Programme on Radio 4 were incensed to hear him question Ms Konta’s British citizenship after she made it to the semi-finals of Wimbledon.

The 26-year-old had to clarify that she had lived in the country for half of her life - and that she had represented Britain in the Olympics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/18/bbcs-john-humphrys-accused-xenophobia-sexism-interview-british/

How was it sexist or xenophobic by asking a question over what she saw herself as?

He never said she could not be did he?

Seriously what is wrong with some people?

Back to top Go down

BBC's John Humphrys accused of 'xenophobia and sexism' after interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta Empty Re: BBC's John Humphrys accused of 'xenophobia and sexism' after interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 pm

'...The presenter asked: “We talk about you as being British but you were born in Hungary, Australian citizenship, and I seem to remember that the Australian High Commissioner when you won the quarter-final said ‘Great to see an Aussie win’ and we were saying ‘Great to see a Brit win’ – so what are you?”

Ms Konta laughed incredulously before she replied: “I was actually born in Australia to Hungarian parents but I’ve lived here for half my life now almost and I’m a British citizen and I’m incredibly proud to represent Great Britain… I’ve represented Britain in the Olympics so I’m definitely a British athlete.”...'

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down