NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mother's plea for daughter's right to die

4 posters

Go down

Mother's plea for daughter's right to die Empty Mother's plea for daughter's right to die

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:55 pm

How do you decide whether it's right to go on treating a very sick child?

It's the question at the centre of the Charlie Gard case. His parents are not the first to fight for every option to be explored. Less common is to hear a parent questioning whether their child should continue to receive life sustaining treatment. Juliet Flower contacted the BBC via social media to tell her story. She believes it would be better for her daughter Rose to be allowed to die.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-40582032/mother-s-plea-for-daughter-s-right-to-die

Video on link

Back to top Go down

Mother's plea for daughter's right to die Empty Re: Mother's plea for daughter's right to die

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 pm

It's a hard one. As a parent you want every last remote chance for your child to live, but also you don't want to extend the suffering. I believe Charlie Gard is on morphine, so it seems a bit cruel to keep him alive and I really don't think we're going to see any miracles here.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Mother's plea for daughter's right to die Empty Re: Mother's plea for daughter's right to die

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:25 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:It's a hard one.   As  a parent you want every last remote chance for your child to live, but also you don't want to extend the suffering.  I believe Charlie Gard is on morphine, so it seems a bit cruel to keep him alive and I really don't think we're going to see any miracles here.

I agree. Things like this are never easy, especially with babies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:26 pm

My initial thought is I would hate to see a child of mine suffering, or know his quality of life was going to be minimal even if he did survive.

But...I honestly think you have to be in the shoes of the parent to judge.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Thorin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:It's a hard one.   As  a parent you want every last remote chance for your child to live, but also you don't want to extend the suffering.  I believe Charlie Gard is on morphine, so it seems a bit cruel to keep him alive and I really don't think we're going to see any miracles here.

I think sometimes your love has to be big enough to let them go. I know it's no comparison but when I had to decide to put my old dog down, it really screwed me up and broke my heart. He kept struggling on for us, but I knew I had to make the final decision for him to end the suffering. I can only imagine the trauma this poor kid's parents are going through...the emotional agony.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:38 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I think sometimes your love has to be big enough to let them go.    I know it's no comparison but when I had to decide to put my old dog down, it really screwed me up and broke my heart.  He kept struggling on for us, but I knew I had to make the final decision for him to end the suffering.   I can only imagine the trauma this poor kid's parents are going through...the emotional agony.

Its always difficult Syl and agree. I stood there in Great Ormond Street when they switched of my Niece's life support. Its never easy and you are basically helpless. That is what I think effects parents the most in that they are unable to do anything.
I would rather a child not suffer though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:21 am

Thorin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I think sometimes your love has to be big enough to let them go.    I know it's no comparison but when I had to decide to put my old dog down, it really screwed me up and broke my heart.  He kept struggling on for us, but I knew I had to make the final decision for him to end the suffering.   I can only imagine the trauma this poor kid's parents are going through...the emotional agony.

Its always difficult Syl and agree. I stood there in Great Ormond Street when they switched of my Niece's life support. Its never easy and you are basically helpless. That is what I think effects parents the most in that they are unable to do anything.
I would rather a child not suffer though.

That was HT.s post Thor, but I think we all have similar thoughts on the matter.
I'm sorry you went through that with your niece, it must have been heartbreaking.
I have been in the same position aa HT when a beloved pet dog has to be put down....it certainly isn't trivial....love is love.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm

In Charlie's case he isn't suffering.

The parents are making sure all avenues are explored before making that heart breaking decision. I would do the same in their shoes.

Once all options are closed, thens the time to say, ok Charlie we let you go with love.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:24 pm

magica wrote:In Charlie's case he isn't suffering.

The parents are making sure all avenues are explored before making that heart breaking decision. I would do the same in their shoes.

Once all options are closed, thens the time to say, ok Charlie we let you go with love.

He's on morphine. So he must be suffering.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:38 pm

+1
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm

No. Morphine stops any pain, he wouldn't know anything.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:01 pm

That would depend on how much he's getting, and how do they know he's getting enough?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down