NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opt out or opt in?

+6
eddie
nicko
HoratioTarr
magica
Raggamuffin
Syl
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Opt out or opt in? Empty Opt out or opt in?

Post by Syl Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:15 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/please-save-life-prime-minister-10738835

"Schoolboy Max Johnson has made an impassioned plea to Theresa May over his desperate need for a new heart, urging the PM: “Please change the law to save me.”
The nine-year-old, who made the emotional appeal last night, has been waiting six months for a donor as he has an enlarged heart and relies on a tiny pump in his chest to keep him alive.
The Mirror is calling on the Government to change the law on organ donation so that people are automatically potential organ donors unless they opt out, to save thousands of extra lives."

Opt out or opt in? 16065851-large
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Opt out or opt in? Empty Re: Opt out or opt in?

Post by Syl Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:19 pm

I always argued that to 'opt in' was the right way.
Why should anyone take your organs without permission?

I always carried a donor card and thought that was the right way to go...people should be able to give consent before they die....if they don't their organs are theirs to keep, even in death.

This little lad has changed my mind 100%.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Opt in is the only ethical way to do it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:04 pm

I have a donor card.

I always think we should opt in, not be told,, I still do.

Many people don't want their bodies cut up and bits taken, as is their right.

I think personally, what do they need them for, they will be cremated or buried, rotting in the earth, yet they might give life to someone else.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:09 pm

There should perhaps be more awareness and more encouragement to donate, but there should never be pressure on anyone to opt out. If they do opt out, they will be made to feel guilty.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:50 pm

I think it should be compulsory. You don't need your body when you're dead.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:13 am

+1
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 am

HoratioTarr wrote:I think it should be compulsory.   You don't need your body when you're dead.

No you don't, but you do need it when you're alive, and that's when the decision needs to be made.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 am

So many people don't make the decision though....its too late after they are dead.
I argued years ago about this on a forum....I was dead against the opt out method then, but its one of those times when I have changed my mind. Listening to debate, reading about organ shortages that could help someone else to live, but mostly reading about Max.....he could be helped to live a happy healthy life if a heart was available....if not he will die a slow and painful death before he is much older.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:There should perhaps be more awareness and more encouragement to donate, but there should never be pressure on anyone to opt out. If they do opt out, they will be made to feel guilty.

There should be more advertising, but that has never happened....even when the opt in or out subject crops up in the news...which is has done several times over the years.

I picked a donor card up in the Dr's surgery decades ago... they were also displayed on some chemist counters, I haven't seen one of them for years, I suppose everyone is expected to fill in a form online now.

If the opt out system does become legal...no one should ever be made to feel guilty.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I think it should be compulsory.   You don't need your body when you're dead.

No you don't, but you do need it when you're alive, and that's when the decision needs to be made.

Why? Imagine how wonderful it would be to save or change lives through donating your organs. What possible use are they rotting in the ground? They're no use to the relatives either.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:08 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Why?   Imagine how wonderful it would be to save or change lives through donating your organs.   What possible use are they rotting in the ground?   They're no use to the relatives either.  

The dead person wouldn't know it would be wonderful though. The time to decide is when they're alive, and it should be their decision, they should not be forced to opt out if they have reasons for not wanting to do it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Why?   Imagine how wonderful it would be to save or change lives through donating your organs.   What possible use are they rotting in the ground?   They're no use to the relatives either.  

The dead person wouldn't know it would be wonderful though. The time to decide is when they're alive, and it should be their decision, they should not be forced to opt out if they have reasons for not wanting to do it.

Well, perhaps an opt out is done in life, and then if you don't opt out then you automatically get to leave your organs.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:05 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well, perhaps an opt out is done in life, and then if you don't opt out then you automatically get to leave your organs.  

I just don't think that people should be forced to opt out of donating parts of their own body. It belongs to them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:54 pm

I imagine most organs that are donated end up being dissected for educational purposes, which is fine.
But how wonderful would it be if one of your or your families organs helped someone who would otherwise have died, live a long and fruitful life?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Syl wrote:I imagine most organs that are donated end up being dissected for educational purposes, which is fine.
But how wonderful would it be if one of your or your families organs helped someone who would otherwise have died, live a long and fruitful life?

If they think it would be wonderful, they are free to donate their organs.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Totally agree. It's called human recycling.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:48 pm

No, people own their organs, and nobody has the right to tell they must "opt out" of giving them away when they're dead.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:No, people own their organs, and nobody has the right to tell they must "opt out" of giving them away when they're dead.

Some people still believe that women don't own their own bodies...or at least their uteruses.  Heathens...Rolling Eyes  

Oh that's right, they're Alabamans. elephant

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Whats the law re organ donation in the US Quill...is it the same as ours presently is?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:I imagine most organs that are donated end up being dissected for educational purposes, which is fine.

If they think it would be wonderful, they are free to donate their organs.

I think its wonderful, I cant speak for others.
I know...that's the way the it is at the moment, but lots of people don't bother to sign the consent form so their organs are wasted.

I do see your point though, I thought the same for a long time.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Syl wrote:Whats the law re organ donation in the US Quill...is it the same as ours presently is?

Generally, it's favorable...just cautious for reasons of fraud.  The aim is to provide the safest and most equitable system for allocation, distribution, and transplantation of donated organs.

The primary legislation related to organ donation and transplantation in India, Transplantation of Human Organs Act, was passed in 1994 and is aimed at regulation of removal, storage and transplantation of human organs for therapeutic purposes and for prevention of commercial dealings in human organs.

Furthermore, "the National Organ Transplant Act outlawed the sale of human organs and provided for the establishment of the Task Force on Organ Transplantation; authorized the Department of Health and Human Services to make grants for the planning, establishment, and initial operation of qualified Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs); and established the formation of the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network and Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Syl wrote:I always argued that to 'opt in'  was the right way.

I always carried a donor card and thought that was the right way to go...people should be able to give consent before they die....if they don't their organs are theirs to keep, even in death.

if you dont want them taken then opt out. what on earth do you need with them after you are dead.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:Whats the law re organ donation in the US Quill...is it the same as ours presently is?

Generally, it's favorable...just cautious for reasons of fraud.  The aim is to provide the safest and most equitable system for allocation, distribution, and transplantation of donated organs.

The primary legislation related to organ donation and transplantation in India, Transplantation of Human Organs Act, was passed in 1994 and is aimed at regulation of removal, storage and transplantation of human organs for therapeutic purposes and for prevention of commercial dealings in human organs.

Furthermore, "the National Organ Transplant Act outlawed the sale of human organs and provided for the establishment of the Task Force on Organ Transplantation; authorized the Department of Health and Human Services to make grants for the planning, establishment, and initial operation of qualified Organ Procurement Organizations (OPOs); and established the formation of the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network and Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients."

But is it opt in or opt out?
Presently in the UK no medical team can/should take any organs from the deceased unless permission has been granted, either by being on the donor list or asking permission from the nearest relative...which can be distressing all round.

There is talk that our laws may be changed in the future, so people would have to specifically state that they don't want their organs to be used after death.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Opt in is the only ethical way to do it.
not at all, if everyone is automatically eligible then opting out should be the way to go, 100's of thousands die every year denying millions a chance at life, or sight or a host of other treatments.
the only human way is to let your waste find a use to benefit others.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:08 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:

if you dont want them taken then opt out. what on earth do you need with them after you are dead.

Well exactly, you don't need them.
I can see though that some families may not want their family members cut up for spare parts in the event of their death....if they (deceased) have not opted out, this could easily happen.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:08 pm

exactly, if you disagree it is not hard to opt out.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:There should perhaps be more awareness and more encouragement to donate, but there should never be pressure on anyone to opt out. If they do opt out, they will be made to feel guilty.

There should be more advertising, but that has never happened....even when the opt in or out subject crops up in the news...which is has done several times over the years.

I picked a donor card up in the Dr's surgery decades ago... they were also displayed on some chemist counters, I haven't seen one of them for years, I suppose everyone is expected to fill in a form online now.

If the opt out system does become legal...no one should ever  be made to feel guilty.
the donor card is useless if you relatives object
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

one body could save several peoples lives. 2 kidneys, 1 liver, 1 heart, lungs, eyes. we are a whole life saving emergency kit.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

if they are dead they are dead. dead people are artificially kept alive for transplants, it is selfish not to help
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Syl wrote:

If the opt out system does become legal...no one should ever  be made to feel guilty.

Is it? So that means relatives can override your wishes to donate organs after you die....that's wrong.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I just don't think that people should be forced to opt out of donating parts of their own body. It belongs to them.
they wouldn't be forced, that would be a choice. there are too many needing transplants because too few donate.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:13 pm

they dont usually help just one person they help many people
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:No, people own their organs, and nobody has the right to tell they must "opt out" of giving them away when they're dead.
consider it the final payment for years of NHS care.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Presently in the UK no medical team  can/should take any organs from the deceased unless permission has been granted, either by being on the donor list or asking permission from the nearest relative...which can be distressing all round.

There is talk that our laws may be changed in the future, so people would have to specifically state that they don't want their organs to be used after death.
it is the permission of the relatives. the donor card is meaningless if relatives object
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Syl wrote:

Just checked...I think you are wrong according to this.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/faq/consent/

"If your family or relatives object to the donation when you made your decision clear before you died, we will:
discuss the matter with them,
encourage them to accept your decision, and
make it clear that they do not have the legal right to override your decision."

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Syl wrote:

Is it? So that means relatives can override your wishes to donate organs after you die....that's wrong.
yes they can
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Syl wrote:

"If your family or relatives object to the donation when you made your decision clear before you died, we will:

they can still say no.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Syl wrote:

they can still say no.

Not according to the NHS donation info link.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:16 pm

The only argument I keep reading on here is "I own my body parts!"

Other than that there seems no other argument.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Presently in the UK no medical team  can/should take any organs from the deceased unless permission has been granted, either by being on the donor list or asking permission from the nearest relative...which can be distressing all round.

Presently, no state has a 'presumed consent' law. Legislators in states like Colorado, California, Delaware, New Jersey and New York have pushed for presumed consent; in fact, lawmakers in at least seven states have looked at presumed consent bills between 2011 and 2015. All attempts have failed.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Presently, no state has a 'presumed consent' law.  Legislators in states like Colorado, California, Delaware, New Jersey and New York have pushed for presumed consent; in fact, lawmakers in at least seven states have looked at presumed consent bills between 2011 and 2015. All attempts have failed.

So at present the UK and the US have the same law re organ donation.

All those body parts buried or burned which could help others to live....what a waste.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Presently, no state has a 'presumed consent' law.  Legislators in states like Colorado, California, Delaware, New Jersey and New York have pushed for presumed consent; in fact, lawmakers in at least seven states have looked at presumed consent bills between 2011 and 2015. All attempts have failed.

All those body parts buried or burned which could help others to live....what a waste.

At least as far as presumed consent is concerned. The way I look it it, you are helping another AND allowing your organs to live longer. The recipient is actually doing your organs a favor by hosting them for a while more.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

At least as far as presumed consent is concerned.  The way I look it it, you are helping another AND allowing your organs to live longer.  The recipient is actually doing your organs a favor by hosting them for a while more.

I doubt your organs would appreciate it. Shocked
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Past a certain age...(and I'm sure that would be 99% of posters here) the organs probably wouldn't get further than a students scalpel to be dissected....its a romantic notion to think that your own organs could be used inside someone else, but long term every little helps.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Syl wrote:Past a certain age...(and I'm sure that would be 99% of posters here) the organs probably wouldn't get further than a students scalpel to be dissected....its a romantic notion to think that your own organs could be used inside someone else, but long term every little helps.

I'd like to donate my whole body to medical science. I quite like the idea of handsome doctors "exclaiming" over my body.... Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:58 pm

[quote="Syl"]Past a certain age...(and I'm sure that would be 99% of posters here) the organs probably wouldn't get further than a students scalpel to be dissected....its a romantic notion to think that your own organs could be used inside someone else, but long term every little helps.[/quote]

Speak for yourself Suspect
lol!

I think if anything I've got can help someone live, they're welcome to it. Can't take your body with you.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:04 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Past a certain age...(and I'm sure that would be 99% of posters here) the organs probably wouldn't get further than a students scalpel to be dissected....its a romantic notion to think that your own organs could be used inside someone else, but long term every little helps.

I'd like to donate my whole body to medical science. I quite like the idea of handsome doctors "exclaiming" over my body.... Cool

I read a book once (forgot the title) and the main characters were students in a dissecting lab. They named all the corpses and got quite attached to them as they dissected bits and pieces of their bodies....though they were also quite critical of fat or ugly corpses.
Apparently. unless the face is being disected its covered, to give the dead person some respect.....not sure if that's 100% true though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:07 pm

magica wrote:[quote="Syl"]Past a certain age...(and I'm sure that would be 99% of posters here) the organs probably wouldn't get further than a students scalpel to be dissected....its a romantic notion to think that your own organs could be used inside someone else, but long term every little helps.

Speak for yourself Suspect
lol!

I think if anything I've got can help someone live, they're welcome to it. Can't take your body with you.

[/quote]

.....................................................................................................

Not sure if bunions or dodgy hip joints are in great demand Mags....but it's a nice idea. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:16 pm

eddie wrote:

Shocked EXHIBITIONIST!

Were you the one we saw streaking at Wimbledon?

Opt out or opt in? Jul-1996-a-streaker-entertains-the-crowd-before-the-start-of-the-mens-picture-id1250667

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum