NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black actor in play about racism complains after police mistake him for drug dealer outside theatre

4 posters

Go down

Black actor in play about racism complains after police mistake him for drug dealer outside theatre Empty Black actor in play about racism complains after police mistake him for drug dealer outside theatre

Post by Guest Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 am

Ablack actor who was about to appear in a play about racism was stopped and questioned by police looking for a drug dealer. Oraine Johnson was standing outside the Bridport Arts Centre in Dorset before a production of "Sorry! No Coloureds, No Irish, No Dogs" when a police car drove by and stopped. Mr Johnson, 31, was on the phone to his brother at the time and was told by one of the police officers to hang up immediately. The actor said the officers then explained there was a drug problem in the rural market town and that they were on the lookout for a black man thought to be a dealer. Mr Johnson explained he was a professional actor performing in a show that is aimed at stimulating discussion about racism and then pointed to the poster with his face on behind him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/11/black-actor-play-racism-complains-police-mistake-drug-dealer/

Back to top Go down

Black actor in play about racism complains after police mistake him for drug dealer outside theatre Empty Re: Black actor in play about racism complains after police mistake him for drug dealer outside theatre

Post by Original Quill Fri May 12, 2017 4:40 pm

As long as the police were polite and reserved I don't see a problem with talking to people,  Yes, it's profiling, but the police were looking for a specific person, of whom Mr. Johnson fit the description.  Color, along with height, tattoos and clothing, are ready features that people use for identification.

Were this happening in the US, 1) the police might do the same stop without a specific suspect in mind--that's real profiling; and 2) the police would apply standards to the black man they wouldn't dare to the white man.  I don't think that racial sensitivity prevents the police from doing their job, it just asks that they do it in an even fashion.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Black actor in play about racism complains after police mistake him for drug dealer outside theatre Empty Re: Black actor in play about racism complains after police mistake him for drug dealer outside theatre

Post by nicko Fri May 12, 2017 4:43 pm

+1
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Original Quill wrote:As long as the police were polite and reserved I don't see a problem with talking to people,  Yes, it's profiling, but the police were looking for a specific person, of whom Mr. Johnson fit the description.  Color, along with height, tattoos and clothing, are ready features that people use for identification.

Were this happening in the US, 1) the police might do the same stop without a specific suspect in mind--that's real profiling; and 2) the police would apply standards to the black man they wouldn't dare to the white man.  I don't think that racial sensitivity prevents the police from doing their job, it just asks that they do it in an even fashion.

Well said.

I bet the police felt a little embarrassed when he pointed to his face on the poster. I hope they were all able to laugh about it cos it's pretty funny when you think about it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Fri May 12, 2017 10:52 pm

I believe oscar wilde said
"there is only one thing worse than being taken for a drug dealer, and that is not being taken for a drug dealer. "
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down