NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soldier Is Told To Buy A Rolex In Germany. 55 Years Later, Its Worth Leaves Him Speechless

3 posters

Go down

Soldier Is Told To Buy A Rolex In Germany. 55 Years Later, Its Worth Leaves Him Speechless  Empty Soldier Is Told To Buy A Rolex In Germany. 55 Years Later, Its Worth Leaves Him Speechless

Post by Guest Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:11 am

In April of 1960, he bought a Rolex watch in Germany while serving in the US Army. His sergeant recommended he purchase a Rolex before he returned home to the States because, to him, they were the best watches ever made.
The soldier took his advice, and 55 years later, he decides to see what the Rolex he purchased is worth today. This is the appraisal on Antiques Roadshow that left the man speechless.

Read more at http://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-videos/5797/Soldier-Is-Told-To-Buy-A-Rolex-In-Germany-55-Years-Later-Its-Worth-Leaves-Him-Speechless#sOpDf6lRY6kCclvp.99

Back to top Go down

Soldier Is Told To Buy A Rolex In Germany. 55 Years Later, Its Worth Leaves Him Speechless  Empty Re: Soldier Is Told To Buy A Rolex In Germany. 55 Years Later, Its Worth Leaves Him Speechless

Post by Syl Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks Thor...I love to see things like this.
The man was overwhelmed, its great when things like this are shown on Antiques shows.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Soldier Is Told To Buy A Rolex In Germany. 55 Years Later, Its Worth Leaves Him Speechless  Empty Re: Soldier Is Told To Buy A Rolex In Germany. 55 Years Later, Its Worth Leaves Him Speechless

Post by Guest Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Syl wrote:Thanks Thor...I love to see things like this.
The man was overwhelmed, its great when things like this are shown on Antiques shows.

I do love it when they are that shocked.   Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:06 pm

He certainly was, he said he would have been pleased with $1500. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:31 am

that was a good investment Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Oh what a happy man Thor.  Antiques Roadshow is so good at valuating antiques, I watch it lots as I love to see things like this.  So chuffed for this old soldier. His little face, £65 grand and more, good luck to him.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Has anyone here ever taken anything to be valued anywhere?
I was left some sovereigns and jewelry a few years ago, I had no intention of selling any of it, but for curiosities sake I took it to an antique dealer one day, asked him if he could name some of the stones and if they were worth anything.
He told me the sovereigns were fake, and a diamond looking ring was pretty but worthless....told me he would give me a fair price of £50 for the lot. Razz
The sovereigns are genuine, and the one ring alone he picked out is a very old unworn diamond and gold ring that isn't even stamped.
I had it independently valued and its worth several thousand pounds...I think it was my grandmas who I had never met.

Moral...never sell anything before you know the true value.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:07 pm

The financial worth is what you can actually sell it for - to a real buyer.

I have a Princess Beanie Bear, which allegedly sells for a loads of money, but only if it's a first edition apparently. Some people on ebay try to sell them for thousands, but rarely succeed. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The financial worth is what you can actually sell it for - to a real buyer.

I have a Princess Beanie Bear, which allegedly sells for a loads of money, but only if it's a first edition apparently. Some people on ebay try to sell them for thousands, but rarely succeed. Laughing

I am guessing here Rags.
That you would not want to sell it, as it has sentimental value?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:The financial worth is what you can actually sell it for - to a real buyer.

I am guessing here Rags.

No it doesn't really. I think I got it because someone told me that Beanie Bears would be worth a lot one day, and it was cute. Laughing I have a few others too.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

True, but its always good to have a valuation on expensive pieces.

I think when you have a specific collectors piece, like dolls or bears, its better to go to an auction....you can always put a reserve on it if you don't want it to go for less than you think its worth.

Ebay fascinates me....loads of tat and half use bottles of perfumes that some people will actually buy.
On the other hand some great bargains to be had.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I am guessing here Rags.

No it doesn't really. I think I got it because someone told me that Beanie Bears would be worth a lot one day, and it was cute. Laughing I have a few others too.

lol, okay, so have you had it valued Rags?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No. I don't think it's a first edition anyway, so it's probably worth £10.  Razz

Look at this story. Can you imagine how the original owner would feel if they read that? Mind you, there's no info on what the bear sold for, so it might not be worth much.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044622/Bude-couple-bought-Princess-Diana-Di-Beanie-Baby-boot-sale-without-knowing-value.html

I kind of dread those antique programmes a bit because I always think they might feature something that I had but gave away.   That's why my attic is still full of stuff that I don't really need.  Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

No. I don't think it's a first edition anyway, so it's probably worth £10.  Razz

Look at this story. Can you imagine how the original owner would feel if they read that? Mind you, the bear hasn't actually sold yet, so it might not be worth that much.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044622/Bude-couple-bought-Princess-Diana-Di-Beanie-Baby-boot-sale-without-knowing-value.html

I kind of dread those antique programmes a bit because I always think they might feature something that I had but gave away.   That's why my attic is still full of stuff that I don't really need.  Laughing

Its sods law Rags, when that happens I am afraid and even worse when people dwell on this.
To be honest, if they failed to check if its worth anything. Then they only have themselves to blame really.
Gutting I agree, but there it is.

Are you a hoarder of things?   Laughing

Not a bad thing, as things change in value all the time. So its best to keep what you have, as they may well become very valuable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Look at this story. Can you imagine how the original owner would feel if they read that? Mind you, the bear hasn't actually sold yet, so it might not be worth that much.

Its sods law Rags, when that happens I am afraid and even worse when people dwell on this.
To be honest, if they failed to check if its worth anything. Then they only have themselves to blame really.

Not a bad thing, as things change in value all the time. So its best to keep what you have, as they may well become very valuable.

I just found this:

The couple listed their Princess on eBay for £25,000 and, after it failed to sell, relisted it at 99p. The current high bid is £1.24
.  Laughing

http://antiviral.gawker.com/sadly-that-princess-di-beanie-baby-is-worth-jack-shit-1699229768

I'm not as bad as those poor people you see on TV programmes about hoarding, but I do have trouble decluttering and giving things away. That's the trouble with attics - they're perfect places to put things which you don't actually need, but they end up as a huge storage unit. I'm trying not to acquire any more things at the moment. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I just found this:

The couple listed their Princess on eBay for £25,000 and, after it failed to sell, relisted it at 99p. The current high bid is £1.24
.  Laughing

http://antiviral.gawker.com/sadly-that-princess-di-beanie-baby-is-worth-jack-shit-1699229768

I'm not as bad as those poor people you see on TV programmes about hoarding, but I do have trouble decluttering and giving things away. That's the trouble with attics - they're perfect places to put things which you don't actually need, but they end up as a huge storage unit. I'm trying not to acquire any more things at the moment. Laughing

lol, I bet you still end up acquiring more things.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:48 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I just found this:

.  Laughing

Laughing

I think you're right. Charity shops are a particular problem, so I've limited myself there. Laughing

I have given away a lot of things over the last couple of years, but I still have loads that I don't want to part with. I like the idea of minimalism, but I just can't seem to do it. Razz
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:55 pm

You should buy things you like, then you can live with them rather than storing them.
I love Tiffanys style lamps, even when I get a new one I find a place for the older one where I can still see it.
I think the only things in my attic are wedding presents I never used and MIL ornaments that she used to buy me every Christmas.
Too ugly to show but too sentimental to part with.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Syl wrote:You should buy things you like, then you can live with them rather than storing them.
I love Tiffanys style lamps, even when I get a new one I find a place for the older one where I can still see it.
I think the only things in my attic are wedding presents I never used and MIL ornaments that she used to buy me every Christmas.

The one thing I like to buy is books

I have so many and have to store many, as Rags does in the attic.  Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Laughing

I think you're right. Charity shops are a particular problem, so I've limited myself there. Laughing

I have given away a lot of things over the last couple of years, but I still have loads that I don't want to part with. I like the idea of minimalism, but I just can't seem to do it. Razz

Ah but at least you are helping good causes by buying from charity shops Rags

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Syl wrote:You should buy things you like, then you can live with them rather than storing them.

I do buy things I like, but then I have too many things that I like with nowhere to put them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well yes, and I do give away things to charity as well. I couldn't be bothered with all that selling on Ebay - I don't know how people do that. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:30 pm

It's amazing how much stuff people have. I've sometimes commented to friends that their houses are nice and clutter free, and they say it's all in the attic, or stuffed in cupboards or the garage. Razz

I read though that even if you can't see the stuff, at the back of your mind you know it's there and it weighs on you. It's something to do with Feng Shui apparently. I do spend a lot of time trying to organise stuff which I don't really use, but I just end up moving it from one place to another. Neutral
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:59 pm

All my stuff goes to Hospice Charity shop, like you Fen I cant be arsed to put them on Ebay.

I love books and will never throw one away. Hub said it was like a library here, so had to part with many of them, I was so sad to see them go, but I know they raised a lot for the charity.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:03 pm

magica wrote:All my stuff goes to Hospice Charity shop, like you Fen I cant be arsed to put them on Ebay.

I love books and will never throw one away.  Hub said it was like a library here, so had to part with many of them, I was so sad to see them go, but I know they raised a lot for the charity.

That was a sham you had to get rid of some Magica, but as you say its for a good cause.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:09 pm

magica wrote:All my stuff goes to Hospice Charity shop, like you Fen I cant be arsed to put them on Ebay.

I love books and will never throw one away.  Hub said it was like a library here, so had to part with many of them, I was so sad to see them go, but I know they raised a lot for the charity.

I also gave away a lot of books at one point. Strangely, I mostly gave away ones I hadn't read, and kept ones I had read - in case I want to read them again. Laughing

I seem to have acquired rather a lot of DVDs, so I keep going through them but never actually do anything with them. I also have quite a few videos which I'm keeping because some of them are films or series that you can't get any more or can't get easily.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I do buy things I like, but then I have too many things that I like with nowhere to put them.

Buy a bigger house then. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Ah, if you do that you just end up filling it with more stuff, and you're left with the same problem. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Well yes, and I do give away things to charity as well. I couldn't be bothered with all that selling on Ebay - I don't know how people do that. Laughing

I buy off ebay I have never sold anything, to much messing about.
I could do desperately with having a clothes clear out, they are the only thing I hoard...clothes, shoes and bags.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:14 pm

I buy lots of paperbacks, read them, pass them on to a friend, then when I get them back I give them to a neighbour who sells them for the British legion....so I dont accumulate them but I can buy as many as I like with a clear conscience. Laughing
I seldom read a book twice, do you Mags?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Ah, if you do that you just end up filling it with more stuff, and you're left with the same problem.  Laughing

Actually...you are right. I bought bigger wardrobes, and I still use half of my OH's. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I buy off ebay I have never sold anything, to much messing about.
I could do desperately with having a clothes clear out, they are the only thing I hoard...clothes, shoes and bags.

I also buy off Ebay - big mistake really, but it's fun too. Laughing

Do you find that the more clothes you have, the more you wear the same things? I do - I can't be bothered to look through them all to find something something different. Same with shoes - I have loads, even though I gave loads away, and I wear the same ones all the time. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Ah, if you do that you just end up filling it with more stuff, and you're left with the same problem.  Laughing

Actually...you are right. I bought bigger wardrobes, and I still use half of my OH's. Laughing

Exactly. I could do with another wardrobe to add to my collection of wardrobes, but I have nowhere to put it, and I'll only buy more stuff to put in it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Exactly. I could do with another wardrobe to add to my collection of wardrobes, but I have nowhere to put it, and I'll only buy more stuff to put in it.

Its a vicious circle.

Like you said before, I also sometimes go into someones house and its minimalistic, every surface clear of 'stuff', and I marvel.
I asked my grandson if he thought our lounge was old fashioned..(its full of lamps, photos, huge rug, big fireplace) he said yes...but its homely. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Has anyone tried the KonMari method of decluttering? You're supposed to pick up each item and see if it sparks joy. If it doesn't, you get rid of it. My problem with that is that I rarely have sparks of joy, and even if I do, it might be for the wrong reasons. For example, I'll pick up a pair of shoes and have a spark of joy because they're shiny, a nice shape, or a nice colour, or whatever, but I'm still not going to wear them because they're too small. Laughing

In addition, I think you're supposed the thank the items you're giving away for the role they played in your life. If I do that, I'll keep them because I'll be thinking that they can actually hear me and feel sad that they're going. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:37 pm

No...I dont believe in all that stuff.
If I like it I keep it, if I dont I keep it just in case I change my mind one day.

If I KNOW I will never use it again, spark or not, I give it to one of the many charity shops in town,
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Syl wrote:

I buy lots of paperbacks, read them, pass them on to a friend, then when I get them back I give them to a neighbour who sells them for the British legion....so I dont accumulate them but I can buy as many as I like with a clear conscience. Laughing
I seldom read a book twice, do you Mags?

No I don't read it twice, I would probably remember the ending half what through Laughing I like to keep them all the same Smile
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Syl wrote:No...I dont believe in all that stuff.
If I like it I keep it, if I dont I keep it just  in case I change my mind one day.

If I KNOW I will never use it again, spark or not, I give it to one of the many charity shops in town,

The other thing that some declutterers say is to get rid of things which are a bit scruffy. The problem with that is they're scruffy because I do actually wear them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Has anyone tried the KonMari method of decluttering? You're supposed to pick up each item and see if it sparks joy. If it doesn't, you get rid of it. My problem with that is that I rarely have sparks of joy, and even if I do, it might be for the wrong reasons. For example, I'll pick up a pair of shoes and have a spark of joy because they're shiny, a nice shape, or a nice colour, or whatever, but I'm still not going to wear them because they're too small. Laughing

In addition, I think you're supposed the thank the items you're giving away for the role they played in your life. If I do that, I'll keep them because I'll be thinking that they can actually hear me and feel sad that they're going. Laughing

Never heard of that Fen, but I do feel the energy in things, such as ornaments, books Tec.

Feng Shui is good as there shouldn't be corners. So my dining table is round and I don't leave corners empty, but a lot of it is common sense.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Thorin wrote:

Yes they went to a good cause, but always when I do this I think awww wish I still had the book lol.

That was a sham you had to get rid of some Magica, but as you say its for a good cause.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:48 pm

magica wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Yes they went to a good cause, but always when I do this I think awww wish I still had the book lol.

This is also my problem. Surprisingly, I didn't feel it much with books, and if I ever do, I can probably get another copy. I feel it with some clothes and shoes though, which I can't replace because they've been discontinued.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:54 pm

magica wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Has anyone tried the KonMari method of decluttering? You're supposed to pick up each item and see if it sparks joy. If it doesn't, you get rid of it. My problem with that is that I rarely have sparks of joy, and even if I do, it might be for the wrong reasons. For example, I'll pick up a pair of shoes and have a spark of joy because they're shiny, a nice shape, or a nice colour, or whatever, but I'm still not going to wear them because they're too small. Laughing

Never heard of that Fen, but I do feel the energy in things, such as ornaments, books Tec.

Feng Shui is good as there shouldn't be corners. So my dining table is round and I don't leave corners empty, but a lot of it is common sense.

Yes, I think it has some value. Like I said, the thing about not having an attic stuffed full of things is something to do with Feng Shui - it weighs you down even though it's out of the way and you can't see it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Yes Fen it's to help declutter your life and mind too.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down