NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES?

+2
Ben Reilly
eddie
6 posters

Go down

WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES? Empty WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES?

Post by eddie Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:07 pm

I had to find an article to back up what I think about these old men who buy these cars and proceed to strut around like they are young and hot-blooded.  I saw a guy today and he was actually trying to chat up some much, much, younger women whilst leaning against his car.
He just looked desperate.

We all know about the cliché of the middle-aged man who responds to a “mid-life crisis” by buying a Corvette. It appears that when men feel their virility and attractiveness waning, they respond by finding some way to show that they still have what it takes to be a good mate. In evolutionary terms, this is called costly signaling. Men are signaling that they are still viable mates.

So, why do men buy Corvettes? Because women are attracted to high-status products.

First, researchers in the Netherlands found that simply reminding men of mating opportunities (by showing them pictures of attractive women) increased their desire for status goods. When men  want to mate with attractive women, they think of buying things which display their mate value.

Second, researchers in Montreal found that when men engage in conspicuous consumption — when they buy the Corvette — they actually experience a surge of testosterone (interested readers might wish to check out Dr. Saad's PT blog entry where he discusses this testosterone study). So, the plot thickens! But then the question then is: do women even notice or care?

In short, yes. A recent study by Belgian scientists found that when women are in the fertile stage of their menstrual cycle, they actually pay more attention and are more attracted to high status products. Women who are not in their fertile phase do not. Women who are on the pill (which disrupts the normal menstrual cycle) also do not care so much about status consumption. These results are consistent with other findings that women in their fertile phase rate masculine men as more attractive. Women in their fertile phase are also more likely than others to cheat on their partners, but only with men who are considered more physically attractive than the guy they are in a relationship with.

So, we now know that men who are reminded of mating opportunities are motivated to signal their mate value through conspicuous consumption; we also know that when they do they become more mating-ready. Finally, however much we might think this strategy is shallow and crass, it appears to be a reasonably good one, because when women are in their fertile reproductive phase, they are actually more susceptible to this conspicuous consumption ploy.

Once again, sex — or the possibility of sex affects our economic behavior in ways that we normally would not be aware of.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cant-buy-happiness/201209/why-do-men-buy-corvettes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES? Empty Re: WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES?

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Hahaha, that seems about right. Cool
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Doesn't it? Seriously this guy had that air about him like he thought he was really hip and young. I know I sound judgmental but come on.....

WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES? Img_6013
WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES? Img_6014

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:55 am

Perhaps they just like the cars !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:14 pm

It's not only Corvettes...there are some of us who go positively gaga about Land Rovers, not so much the poncey Kensington Tractor things so much in vogue now, but the real old Solihull built noisy, smelly, uncomfortable, thirsty, pig-to-drive Series marque.

I love mine (1971 Series 2A County), but I can't say it has ever attracted any offers of mating opportunities!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Would he lower himself to a pretty looking Range Rover?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:24 pm

eddie wrote:Doesn't it? Seriously this guy had that air about him like he thought he was really hip and young.  I know I sound judgmental but come on.....

WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES? Img_6013
WHY DO MEN BUY CORVETTES? Img_6014

What a pair of pratts. Razz

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:47 pm

But look at tight-white jeans man! He is posing very much for you to notice how sexy he looks.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I wonder if there's anything to the notion that men like this are compensating for having small weenies?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Hmmm....he just looks like a pratt to me.

Men and cars.. Laughing We went to a vintage car show a while ago, OH saw someones polished pride and joy and asked me to take a pic of him standing next to it, just as I did he must have leaned too close and he knocked the number plate off it...he was scrabbling around on the grass, trying to stick it back on before the owner came back.
I just walked off....I don't see the attraction myself.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I wonder if there's anything to the notion that men like this are compensating for having small weenies?

Are you implying that men like this aren't something you'd aspire to?
Look at his tight-whites!

You're probably right though. They're certainly overcompensating for something.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Could be to take the attention away from his hair. afro
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:05 pm

He's a Trump love child.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Or a Saville, Trump hybrid.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Independent Thoughts Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 am

There are certainly men that try to accessorize themselves with flashy cars to gain attention.  You can spot those guys from a mile away.  But they only make up a small percentage of those that buy high performance cars.

There are also those who are part of subculture that appreciate and respect high performance cars.
When I took my first ride with a friend in his new Mustang GT, I was 15 yrs old.  I was amazed at his car's performance -- I had never been in a car that could do doughnuts and burnouts so effortlessly, or outrun so many cars with ease.  Granted, a Mustang GT falls far to the back of the pack when it comes to overall performance, relative to other muscle/pony/sports cars.  But at 15, it might as well have been a Lamborghini.  My love affair with performance cars had begun.

3 years later, I bought my first car.  A 1986 300ZX Turbo.  It was a great car, but those Mustang GTs and every GM car with a 350 ci engine would leave my car in the dust. A few years later, I bought a Pontiac Trans Am with an LT1 V8 and came to love GM's bulletproof V8s.

I've always owned a sports car.  Yes, they look nice but looks are subjective.  I know a lot of women that don't particularly like sports cars --- their suspension is very stiff so, consequently, you feel every pebble on the road; because they sit so low to the ground, ingress and egress can be a problem for women wearing skirts or heels. I know a lot of women that prefer SUVs and pickup trucks to sports cars; many of them have commented that they liked the ride-height of those vehicles and they enjoy sitting up higher than other cars.

Regardless, it's all a matter of taste and what you find most appealing about a car.  
Most single women will buy a car because it's "cute".  Mothers will value the practicality of a vehicle over other qualities (SUV, minivan, crossovers).  
My priorities, like those of many performance car aficionados, center around performance --- looks be damned.  If it looks like a turd but launches from 0 to 60 in under 3.5 second, can hit a 1/4-mile run in under 12 seconds, and can take corners at over 1-lateral G, you can believe there will be people lined up to buy it.  Performance > looks, when it comes to sports cars... although the two frequently do go hand-in-hand.

Independent Thoughts
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:20 am

Never encountered any stiffness in a Porsche 911, but I guess your mileage varies ... and come to think of it, the Stingray I drove was quite an inferior experience.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Independent Thoughts Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 am

You're not going to get the posh ride out of a 911 (or any sports car) as you would an S-class, or other high end luxury car.  The suspension is stiff on sports cars to minimize body sway when cornering, making them more tossable.  There's a fine line between comfort and performance, and most (true) sports cars, like the 911, opt for the latter.
The newer Corvettes are not as harsh as the older ones.  They take full advantage of their magnetorheological shocks with adaptive dampening.  GM invented and patented the technology and licensed its use to Ferrari, and other high-end sports car manufacturers.  The result is an adjustable suspension that actually works.

My next car is going to be a car that doesn't look like a sports car, or one that looks worthy of it's sticker price:  The Tesla P100-D
It looks like a family sedan... but it's the quickest production car in the world.
As I said:  Performance > looks

Last edited by Lord Independent Thoughts on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Independent Thoughts
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:26 am

Most American cars have suspension that is too soft, watch them when they come to a stop, they take some time before they stop swaying. If you suffer from sea sickness they are not for you. Plus the interiors are a mass of cheap looking plastic.
Buy a Range Rover, they go anywhere, and it's like sitting in your favourite armchair.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum