NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aussie Angler's reponse to lonely old fisherman.

5 posters

Go down

Aussie Angler's reponse to lonely old fisherman. Empty Aussie Angler's reponse to lonely old fisherman.

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:06 am

AUSTRALIA’S anglers have opened their hearts, tackle boxes and wallets to South Australian lonely pensioner Ray Johnstone — who posted an endearing ad on Gumtree, looking for a friend to go fishing.

In the past 24 hours Mr Johnstone’s phone has been ringing off the hook, inundated with offers from South Australians and anglers nationwide to take him fishing.

The 75-year-old widower said he felt overwhelmed by the generosity.

“It’s a true Aussie story isn’t it,” he said. “I expected about three or four replies from the ad I put on.”

Mr Johnstone has now been offered new fishing gear, and trips on charter boats.

“I’ve had offers from a charter at Marion Bay offering to take me and my grandson out on a fishing trip,” he said.

“I just had a phone call from a fishing charter boat in Queensland, offering to fly me up there ... and there’s a group in Sydney trying to raise money and fly me to Sydney, put me up in accommodation, and get me on a fishing charter over there.”

Mr Johnstone said the outpouring of support from across Australia had been fantastic.

“I really appreciate what everyone has been trying to do,” Mr Johnstone said.

His ad now has almost 90,000 views after his search for a friend went viral.

Mr Johnstone turned to the online classifieds site, capturing the hearts of anglers across the nation, after his former fishing mate was tragically killed in a car accident a few years ago.

“What I want is a fishing mate in a similar position to myself who also wants someone to go fishing with,” Mr Johnstone wrote.

“I am willing to share all costs, eg petrol, bait, and should you happen to own a boat (I am) willing to pay all ramp fees, but happy if you are also a land-based fisherman.”

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/lonely-sa-fisherman-ray-johnstone-overwhelmed-by-response-to-his-gumtree-ad-for-friend/news-story/91aca0667e24e0c63c486af55a0acac0
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Aussie Angler's reponse to lonely old fisherman. Empty Re: Aussie Angler's reponse to lonely old fisherman.

Post by Syl Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:34 pm

That's a really heart warming story.
I think it proves that there are so many lovely generous people around. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Aussie Angler's reponse to lonely old fisherman. Empty Re: Aussie Angler's reponse to lonely old fisherman.

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:39 pm

Syl wrote:That's a really heart warming story.

There are more good people than bad in the world. Sometimes, you just have reach out a bit.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:49 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:That's a really heart warming story.

There are more good people than bad in the world.  Sometimes, you just have reach out a bit.

I couldn't agree more. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:06 pm

He could take Veya with him, he'd make a great Anchor.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:04 pm

nicko wrote:He could take Veya with him,   he'd make a great Anchor.

tell us all again how you never start it? Suspect Suspect Suspect
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
nicko wrote:He could take Veya with him,   he'd make a great Anchor.

tell us all again how you never start it? Suspect Suspect Suspect

Nonsense. Nicko was just giving an example of rhyming slang
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:57 am

Sense of humour loss Veya?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:10 am

nicko wrote:Sense of humour loss Veya?

yes i dropped between a 'coffee scroll' and 'Westpac banker' Suspect Suspect

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down