NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANOTHER HORROR DOG ATTACK ON CHILD

4 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

ANOTHER HORROR DOG ATTACK ON CHILD Empty Re: ANOTHER HORROR DOG ATTACK ON CHILD

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Terrible injuries poor little girl .
These dogs are not pets they are killers .

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:04 pm

No, they are not "killers". They are a friendly and lovable breed and come highly recommended as a family pet. I will tell you why they have a bad reputation and that's because if they attack, they have such strong jaws (and lock-jaw) they do a hell of a lot of damage.
Why do you think small dogs biting people never make the news? Because they can't kill, they're  too small, but in my opinion and from my personal experiences, far more small dogs nip and bite than larger dogs.
Terriers are a renowned breed for being nippy, but they've never killed anyone so you don't hear about it.

Staffs are lovely dogs, I've known so many people who've had them and they have been the softest and most loyally affectionate dog, you could find. I've been around various dog breeds all my life as my grandparents and then my parents, have bred dogs and been in the 'dog world' for years.  Yes these dogs are dangerous once they attack due to the lock jaw they have, but by nature,  they're no more dangerous than any other dog.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Staffys, aggression and the relevance of the Dangerous Dogs Act
It's important to note that Staffordshire bull terriers are not one of the breeds and types of dogs which are covered by the Dangerous Dogs Act (1991) and so are subsequently legal to own in the UK. However, it is well documented that when the law first came into effect, people who at that time owned dogs such as pit bulls which were covered by the act sometimes took to referring to their pit bull dogs as Staffordshire bull terriers, in order to avoid falling under the remit of the law. Due to this deliberate misnomer, several high profile attacks by pit bull type dogs which were labelled as Staffys on both people and other pets have led to the Staffy name being much maligned at times as a dangerous or aggressive dog, when in fact the dogs in question were almost certainly not Staffordshire bull terriers at all. No definitive figures currently exist to suggest any kind of correlation between Staffordshire bull terriers and a significantly high proportion of the breed being prone to aggression. With the Staffordshire bull terrier currently being the fifth most commonly owned pedigree dog in the UK- and perhaps the most popular overall when this figure is combined with non pedigree Staffys and cross breeds- it's only to be expected that with a proportionately higher number of Staffys around than most other breeds, the occasional 'bad egg' will appear- just as can happen with any other breed or type of dog, large or small. As a result of the Dangerous Dogs Act coming into force, a marked rise in popularity of ownership of true Staffys and Staffy cross breeds occurred amongst prior owners of pit bulls and those who simply liked the look of both pit bulls and Staffys. As well as finding genuine caring homes with responsible owners, some Staffys and similar looking dogs unfortunately fell into ownership by the types of people who simply wanted a 'hard looking dog' and may have been keen to train their pet to reinforce this image- something which sadly still occurs all too regularly even today.

Temperament
As with any breed or type of dog, differences in temperament, personality and behaviour are wide ranging across the breed, and of course more or less any dog can be bullied and trained to be aggressive. However, despite some people's bad intentions to create their own compact four legged weapons out of otherwise personable pets, the Staffordshire bull terrier is still rightly renowned for its loyalty, bravery and intelligence. They are quiet, generally calm dogs, easygoing and trustworthy, and the Staffy is much lauded as potentially the most loyal and loving family dog. The muscular and businesslike appearance of the Staffordshire bull terrier often makes them a popular choice as guard dogs, however the general good nature of the Staffy makes them rather ill suited for this kind of work as they are generally very keen to please people, non aggressive and easy going.

Staffys as pets
Thousands of families in the UK consider their Staffy to be a welcome member of the family, and an incredibly suitable pet to have around children, due to their calm tolerant natures and protectiveness of their 'pack,' which includes the human members. Well cared for and correctly trained Staffys can make an amazing addition to any family, and as is so often the case when dogs receive bad press, the root cause of aggression and any behavioural problems can generally be traced back to the person that trained them and looked after them, and not something fundamental within the dog itself. However, it is worth bearing in mind that even today, lots of people desire to keep a Staffy for the perceived 'street cred' which it gives them when teamed with a heavy studded collar and chain lead. If you are considering re-homing a Staffy or taking on an adult dog (and it's certainly worth considering- at any given time, Battersea Dogs Home estimates that over 80% of the dogs in its care are Staffordshire bull terriers or Staffy types) you should be prepared to dedicate a significant amount of time to vetting it's personality, the way it reacts to certain situations, and how well it can adjust to living in a loving family environment. As with any breed, never leave your children unsupervised with your dog, and teach them early on how to handle your dog, not to tease it, and to read the signs and signals it is giving off. Buying a Staffy dog or puppy from a reputable, experienced owner or breeder is a more sensible route to follow for families with children, as you will be able to view the dog's parents and train your new addition from a young age to behave in a safe and well trained manner.

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/do-staffordshire-bull-terriers-make-good-pets-for-families.html
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, eds.  If you find a breed with aggression problems, there are many possible causes.

But look for the human element first.  Dogs with aggressive reputations are selected by aggressive people...precisely because of the aggressive aura.  Then, having selected their aggressive breed (which, individually, may be the sweetest dog), the owners raise them in an aggressive manner to be hostile toward children and surrounding neighbors.  So it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It has little to do with the breed, or the individual animal.  Mostly, it's marketing practices.  It's the reputation that attracts and compels people to buy and raise dogs like that.  In my former neighborhood there was a light brown Staffordshire Bull (Pit Bull) Terrier, and she was the sweetest dog I think I had ever seen.  But she was raised right, to be a loving, friendly dog, contrary to the normal marketing process.

I think of the poor, abused puppies who could have led another, much better life, but for their breed-reputation, and I want to cry.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:34 pm

The little girl was lucky, the dog could have mauled her face, even killed her.
Something has gone badly wrong with this dog....and why was the dog out without a lead unsupervised?
I hope it's put down, sad, but when a dog can attack without provocation it's not safe.
The owners should be prosecuted.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 pm

My post was about Staffordshire Bull Terriers.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down