NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap

+2
eddie
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap Empty Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap _92723120_4b53276a-7e97-4e94-88ba-30e059bddd2c

The man who sparked outrage last year by hiking the price of a life-saving drug may have met his match in some Australian schoolboys.

US executive Martin Shkreli became a symbol of greed when he raised the price of a tablet of Daraprim from $13.50 (£11) to $750.

Now, Sydney school students have recreated the drug's key ingredient for just $20.

Daraprim is an anti-parasitic drug used by malaria and Aids patients.

Martin Shkreli: 'The most hated man in America'

The Sydney Grammar boys, all 17, synthesised the active ingredient, pyrimethamine, in their school science laboratory.

"It wasn't terribly hard but that's really the point, I think, because we're high school students," one boy, Charles Jameson, told the BBC.

The students produced 3.7 grams of pyrimethamine for $20. In the US, the same quantity would cost up to $110,000.

In most countries, including Australia and Britain, the drug retails for less than $1.50 per pill.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38153254
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap Empty Re: Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap

Post by eddie Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:42 pm

See? Drugs companies are among the greediest dirty bastards in the world!
That's why I have reservations about every drug that is thrown at people so readily. Drugs make huge profits and we, the public, swallow their little pills and take their poison without really knowing what we're doing.

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap Empty Re: Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap

Post by 'Wolfie Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:01 pm

Idea

Note that the Drug company owner referred to in the story -- Martin Shkreli --  is the worst-of-the-worse, in the industry...

He is only a bloody minded businessman,  pure and simple...

Not a scientist, researcher or inventor,  he didn't develop the drug in question --but simply bought the company that had the rights to that drug  !

Not an entrepreneur or developer,  but simply a monied-up-cnut  who throws money around freely, aiming for maximum return at others' expense..
;

Not particularly intelligent, smart or astute,  but simply another mongrel minded white collar criminal profiting from his ill gotten gains..

The ugly side of capitalism, in a world where there are still too many people out there prepared to cheer on scum like him, who are simply privileged crooks managing to keep his slimy nose clean..

The lowest of the low, in that corporate elite.         Sydney high-school students recreate life-saving AIDS drug, dirt cheap 474684931
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:14 pm

You don't like him then?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:30 pm

nicko wrote:You don't like him then?

Do you like the guy that bought the copyright to Aids and Malaria drug just so he could up the price from $13.50 to $750 Suspect Suspect Suspect
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:39 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
nicko wrote:You don't like him then?

Do you like the guy that bought the copyright to Aids and Malaria drug just so he could up the price from $13.50 to $750 Suspect Suspect Suspect

Was that him?
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:34 pm

yes that him Martin Shkreli.

the Kids started the project because of him doing that.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:23 am

veya_victaous wrote:yes that him Martin Shkreli.

the Kids started the project because of him doing that.

What they have done is brilliant and what a low life he is Evil or Very Mad
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 am

I said "you don't like him then" was an attempt at a joke.

I quite often make a joke, but few on the left [and the right] don't seem to get it. I might give up trying.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:51 am

nicko wrote:
I said "you don't like him then"   was an attempt at a joke.

I quite often make a joke, but few on the left [and the right] don't seem to get it.      I might give up trying.

Laughing

Not to worry,  nicko...

I knew you meant it as a joke;    I've  heard it a few times before..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down