NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review

+4
Tommy Monk
Raggamuffin
Ben Reilly
eddie
8 posters

Go down

Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review  Empty Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:56 pm

Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review

By Javier Espinoza, Education Editor
10 October 2016 • 6:00am

Bright students from disadvantaged backgrounds should be accepted into universities with lower grades on the basis they have been "held back by poverty", a government review has suggested.

The Social Mobility Advisory Group, which was set up to advise ministers on how to improve access for underrepresented groups at university, has argued smart students from poorly-performing schools in disadvantaged areas should be given offers that require lower A-level grades.

It has also recommended that British institutions should increase the number of students from disadvantaged backgrounds by imposing more "positive discrimination".

The advisory group argued institutions need to pay closer attention to "contextual data" when allocating places – such as where people live, where they went to school and their family background.

“Disadvantage is deeply entrenched in our society, and there are no quick and easy answers”
Nicola Dandridge

Applicants should be selected more on the basis of their "potential" and decide whether or not their exam performance might have been held back by poverty, the government advisers recommended.

The report said universities should use contextual data when handing out offers "in order to identify applicants who may have lower prior attainment as a result of disadvantage rather than because of lower potential".

"This enables an institution to assess an applicant in the context of the circumstances in which their attainment has been achieved," it added.

The group was set up at the request of universities minister Jo Johnson and is chaired by Nicola Dandridge, chief executive of Universities UK, which represents vice chancellors.

Universities are already using "contextual data" to select students but they have come under renewed pressure to do more to accommodate pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds, following high-profile campaigns such as the Rhodes Must Fall debacle in Oxford earlier this year.

Ms Dandridge said: "Disadvantage is deeply entrenched in our society, and there are no quick and easy answers.

"The report recommends that universities should work even more closely with schools and colleges in a range of ways, given the strong link between a student’s prior attainment at school, and their outcomes at and beyond university.

"For some areas of the country, young people are much less likely to go to university than in other areas.

"For any response to make a difference in the long term, it will need to reflect the individual university’s location and mission, as well as the individual circumstances of each student."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/10/10/allow-students-into-universities-with-lower-grades-if-they-have/
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review  Empty Re: Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 pm

The wealthy would hate to have to admit that there's just as much talent and brilliance in the lower castes as in their own lofty ranks ... then they'd have to admit how lucky they are Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review  Empty Re: Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:01 pm

I think that's rubbish. Poverty doesn't make someone pay less attention at school.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I think that's rubbish. Poverty doesn't make someone pay less attention at school.

It most assuredly does.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think that's rubbish. Poverty doesn't make someone pay less attention at school.

It most assuredly does.

No it doesn't. Sitting in a classroom is the same for everyone - money isn't involved.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

It most assuredly does.

No it doesn't. Sitting in a classroom is the same for everyone - money isn't involved.

Students have lives outside that classroom that they worry about. And if you didn't get fed before you were sent to school, that alone will make you pay a lot less attention. You're listening to your stomach growl.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:04 pm

So what is the point then? If they get bad A level grades because they're "poor", they'll probably get a bad degree result too. Getting good grades is more to do with the effort you put in than the amount of money you have. It's silly lefty nonsense again.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Students have lives outside that classroom that they worry about. And if you didn't get fed before you were sent to school, that alone will make you pay a lot less attention. You're listening to your stomach growl.

I'm sure most teenagers worry about life outside the classroom, and that has nothing to do with money.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Rags of course poverty plays a part! This is absolutely brilliant news and shows we are going the right way forward. It's the best news I've heard all day.
There was a whisper of this at the very last Governing Body meeting I served on - governing body of all local governors actually - and that was years ago,
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:So what is the point then? If they get bad A level grades because they're "poor", they'll probably get a bad degree result too. Getting good grades is more to do with the effort you put in than the amount of money you have. It's silly lefty nonsense again.

Says someone who has no idea what it's like to go to school worrying about whether their parents are going to find a new place to live before they get evicted, whether they're going to divorce over it, whether dad's going to be drunk when they get home, etc. You're clueless.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Anyway, back in my day universities offered places at lower A level grades if they wanted a particular student. Nowadays, I guess they have to go more on grades because so many more apply. Discriminating against students because they're not officially "disadvantaged" is just plain wrong - it should depend on merit/effort/ability.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:So what is the point then? If they get bad A level grades because they're "poor", they'll probably get a bad degree result too. Getting good grades is more to do with the effort you put in than the amount of money you have. It's silly lefty nonsense again.

Says someone who has no idea what it's like to go to school worrying about whether their parents are going to find a new place to live before they get evicted, whether they're going to divorce over it, whether dad's going to be drunk when they get home, etc. You're clueless.

No, you're clueless. You think that "poverty" excuses everything, and that money is the answer to everything.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Rags are you saying that in your imagination, you can't imagine that the life of a poor child is harder than that of his wealthier peer?
Do you need a list?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:15 pm

eddie wrote:Rags are you saying that in your imagination, you can't imagine that the life of a poor child is harder than that of his wealthier peer?  
Do you need a list?

I'm saying that getting good grades is a matter of effort mostly. Excusing someone who gets a low grade and saying it's because they're "poor" is just silly IMO. They might have got bad grades even if they were stinking rich.

Education is there for everyone. If they choose not to take advantage of that, it's their own fault.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Anyway, back in my day

Yeah, but this isn't back in your day. Just because things were done a certain way back then doesn't mean they were done better.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Anyway, back in my day

Yeah, but this isn't back in your day. Just because things were done a certain way back then doesn't mean they were done better.

I'm surprised you think that wasn't better. You see, if they wanted a certain student for reasons other than academic achievement, they didn't ask for such high grades. You seem to approve of that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:20 pm

Here are some things that only poor children know.

1. A fingernail file can be used to file a jagged edge if a tooth breaks.

2. We go to the doctor when we’re sick, but mom doesn’t.

3. We have to move a lot because sometimes we can’t afford the rent.

4. I don’t always tell my mom when I need school supplies. I can tell it makes her nervous.

5. Having to print something for school gives me anxiety. Our printer doesn’t always have ink. It’s easier for me to just get a bad grade on the project than admit to the teacher I can’t afford to print.

6. Ditto homework that requires the internet. Sometimes we have it, sometimes we don’t. People say “use the library” but there’s not always gas money to get there and they are only open one evening a week.

7. God doesn’t hear my prayers.

8. The only time I’ve ever been to a store to buy new clothes is when my aunt took me. The dressing rooms were foreign to me.

9. I learned how to cook ramen noodles when I was six years old. I was hungry when I got home from school and mom wasn’t ever there to cook because she was working.

10. Healthy snacks are expensive. Ramen noodles are cheap.

11. My grandmother criticizes my mom for not feeding us more healthy food. What she doesn’t understand is that healthy food usually costs a lot more.

12. We can never get the chicken nuggets at McDonald’s. We have to order from the dollar menu that mom calls garbage food.

13. Every day when I get off the bus, I’m scared until I get inside the house. Mom’s at work when I get home.

14. I know I’d be a really good football player, but we’ve never been able to afford for me to play.

15. When I go somewhere where there’s a piano, I love to try to play. I know I’d be really good but we’ll never be able to afford a piano or lessons.

16. I don’t wear different clothes every day.

17. We have to buy all white socks because if one gets lost or torn up, it may be a while before we buy more.

18. We are really good at cleaning our house with stuff that most people don’t use to clean, like bleach and vinegar.

19. I needed colored pencils for a project once. My teacher told me that if I didn’t bring them, I wouldn’t be able to do my project and I’d get a zero. I told the teacher I didn’t have any and she told me I’d better figure it out. On the way to school, my mom went into the grocery store. I was confused because she told me she didn’t have money. When she came out, she had the pencils but they were in her purse, not in a sack. I think she stole them. She was crying.

20. Mom keeps her toothbrush in her bedroom so that it doesn’t accidentally brush up against ours in the bathroom. Germs and she can’t afford to get sick and miss work or go to the doctor.

21. I have no idea what other kids are talking about when they’re talking about the latest TV shows. We’ve never had cable.

22. I sometimes dread the summer and weekends because at school, I eat two meals a day.

23. I’ve never tasted any of the cool cereals that my friends talk about.

24. When I get money from relatives for my birthday or Christmas, I use it to buy things I don’t want to ask mom for, like hair products and underwear.

25. My hair nearly always get too long between haircuts. I got sent home from school once because of it. Mom cut it herself.

26. Other kids make fun of my clothes.

27. I know what it’s like to be really cold in the wintertime.

28. We wear our jackets and gloves in the house in the winter.

29. When our dryer broke, we had to hang our clothes to dry. It took all weekend for my jeans to dry in the wintertime.

30. Christmas is about things we need, not things we want.

31. We can never buy cool clothes “just cuz.” They always have to be things that have a dual purpose. We can wear them to school, church, or whatever.

32. I’ve never been to summer camp. Even if we could afford to go, I’d be embarrassed about my old underwear.

33. I did go to summer camp. I was the only kid who could never buy snacks from the canteen.

34. I got my first job babysitting when I was 14. I couldn’t spend the money. We needed it for bills.

35. Sometimes we have to put stuff back in the checkout line because we don’t have enough money. The cereal always gets put back first.

36. Cashing a check is hard if you don’t have a checking account. You have to pay to cash it.

37. I’m an expert on what can and can’t be bought with SNAP and WIC.

38. One Christmas, we had no money so we went to the Dollar Tree where everything is a dollar Mom gave us each $5 and told us to go shopping for each other. It was the weirdest and funnest Christmas ever.

39. Sometimes we have to use dish liquid in the washing machine. It works if you only use a small squirt.

40. Sometimes we get sick and go to the doctor. He gives us an antibiotic and tell us to start it, but if he calls to say that our strep test came back negative, we can stop taking it. When this happens, Mom keeps that medicine so that she can take it if she has an emergency and gets sick.

41. Sometimes we want to pack cool lunches like some other kids do, but it’s cheaper to eat the school cafeteria food. Mom says the food’s not healthy, but we get free lunches so that’s what we eat. Mom gives us money every day so that we can buy an extra milk at school. It’s cheaper than if we bought it at the grocery store.

42. Sometimes we don’t eat if there’s a mean kid in the line. We don’t want them to know we’re getting free lunch. They’ll make fun of us forever.

43. Duct tape can fix almost anything. Mom makes a game out of it. If a window gets a crack in it, she fixes it with duct tape and uses the tape to make cool designs.

44. I sit really quietly when I get an ice cream cone, enjoying every lick.

45. I share a bedroom with my two younger siblings. It’s impossible to find a quiet place to do my homework.

46. I didn’t do as well as I should have in math classes because I couldn’t afford the calculator that was required.

47. I couldn’t be in Boy Scouts because we couldn’t buy the uniforms.

48. I couldn’t be in Girl Scouts because we couldn’t afford the books and patches.

49. You can make a whole meal out of gravy and white bread.

50. White bread is usually cheaper than wheat bread.

51. Spending the night at a friend’s house is awesome. They always have plenty food.

52. Butter and sugar sandwiches are the best.

53. We don’t trust the police. We know they won’t treat us fairly.

54. We eat a lot of: potatoes, beans, and cheap bread.

55. My mom lies about not wanting seconds.

56. I’ve learned that when mom says “do you want the rest of this [food],” what she’s saying is “if you don’t want it, then I’ll eat.” I’ve learned to say I’m full, even if I’m not, so that she will eat.

57. Hamburger Helper feels like a gourmet meal.

58. When I got home one day, I let it slip that the other kids went on a field trip and I stayed behind. She asked why I didn’t go and I told her it cost money and I didn’t want to ask. Later, I heard her crying.

59. I’ve had to stay home from school when my little brother was sick because Mom couldn’t miss work.

60. I know what day Frito Lay dumps the expired chips in a dumpster.

61. We can’t always afford to go to the laundromat and we have to wear dirty clothes.

62. A bottle of Febreeze can be used to cover the smell of dirty clothes.

63. When my shoes start to become too small, I get worried.

64. My pants are always too short about two months after we buy them.

65. I know exactly how many miles our car will go after the low fuel light comes on.

66. We take blankets in the car because the car doesn’t have heat.

67. I’ve never had a birthday party.

68. We don’t always get our presents — birthday and Christmas — at the right time.

69. When my mom complained to her sister about not having enough money to raise her kids, her sister told her “you should have closed your legs.”

70. We’ve never been able to take all of the school supplies that we were supposed to have.

71. I’ve never bought a school yearbook or school pictures.

72. I’ve never bought a book at a school book fair.

73. One winter when we ran out of propane and couldn’t buy any for a week, mom made us one huge bed in the floor in the living room. She brought every blanket in the house and we stayed in there all the time staying warm.

74. Our grass gets high sometimes. We don’t have a lawn mower and mom never has enough money to buy one. She usually does have $50 to pay someone to mow the grass but sometimes she has to wait a couple of weeks to get the money.

75. Mom misses my open houses at school and my football games because she doesn’t always have gas. She has a neighbor friend who I can ride with to my games.

76. I’ve never had a new coat. Mom says that we’re lucky that someone always gives us one of their old ones just when we need one.

77. We learned that washing our clothes by hand is a lot of work. Our washer broke and it was two months before we could afford a new one.

78. When we finally got a new washer, Mom bought it at a place where you can rent to own. It costs twice as much to buy things that way. Mom says it’s expensive to be poor.

79. One time Mom had to write a check for the electric bill. She said she knew that she didn’t have the money in the bank, but she had to do it or they would cut off our electricity. She said the bank would pay it. They did, but she had to pay them an extra $34 because of not having enough money in the bank. The electric bill was late and we had to pay the electric company $10 for being late.

80. We’ve never met our doctor. We go to a clinic and a nurse sees us every time.

81. If we go to the grocery store and pay with money, the clerks are nice. When we pay with our food stamp card, the clerks are rude.

82. We know that if we go to college, it’s going to cost us a lot of money because we’ll have to get loans. Poor kids have to pay a lot more for an education.

83. We don’t get to participate in some school activities if they cost money. Even stuff like band costs more money than we can afford.

84. We eat a lot of unhealthy food. Carbs and fats are cheaper than protein.

85. I have a poor friend who lives in the inner city. He’s afraid all the time. Mom says it’s because he hears a lot of gunshots when he’s trying to sleep and during the day. She says that he doesn’t know how to turn off the fear.

86. I’ve never ordered a soda at a restaurant.

87. We never take anything for granted. Whether it’s candy, toys, food, or cool clothes, we know it’s a blessing.

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2014/05/29/things-poor-kids-know/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Rags are you saying that in your imagination, you can't imagine that the life of a poor child is harder than that of his wealthier peer?  
Do you need a list?

I'm saying that getting good grades is a matter of effort mostly. Excusing someone who gets a low grade and saying it's because they're "poor" is just silly IMO. They might have got bad grades even if they were stinking rich.

Education is there for everyone. If they choose not to take advantage of that, it's their own fault.

Poor children aren't fed adequate diets, hard to put effort in when you're hungry.
We used to make toast at the school I worked in, for the ones who showed up without having been fed. I used to make the toast in the school kitchen.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:22 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Poor children aren't fed adequate diets, hard to put effort in when you're hungry.
We used to make toast at the school I worked in, for the ones who showed up without having been fed. I used to make the toast in the school kitchen.

Rubbish. If they're not fed properly, it's down to the parents, not money. Laziness isn't down to lack of money either.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Rubbish. If they're not fed properly, it's down to the parents, not money. Laziness isn't down to lack of money either.

You're just heartless ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Thank you. Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review  2984306523
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Okay...laziness and poverty are different arguments rags, and we are talking about poverty - of course poverty can be a symptom of laziness, but I want to speak here about poverty, for the sake of sticking to the topic.

Children that come from poor homes are fed poor quality food which we know, leaves us hungrier than good wholesome food. Bearing in mind also, most small children cant always communicate that they didn't have much for breakfast and it can often go unnoticed. They get tired - and they do get so tired and run down, I've seen it first hand, they get grumpy and tearful and they get distracted.
Do you think this is a good way for a little person to start their day?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:49 pm

eddie wrote:Okay...laziness and poverty are different arguments rags, and we are talking about poverty - of course poverty can be a symptom of laziness, but I want to speak here about poverty, for the sake of sticking to the topic.

Children that come from poor homes are fed poor quality food which we know, leaves us hungrier than good wholesome food.  Bearing in mind also, most small children cant always communicate that they didn't have much for breakfast and it can often go unnoticed. They get tired - and they do get so tired and run down, I've seen it first hand, they get grumpy and tearful and they get distracted.

We're not talking about small children, we're talking about A level students.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:51 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Okay...laziness and poverty are different arguments rags, and we are talking about poverty - of course poverty can be a symptom of laziness, but I want to speak here about poverty, for the sake of sticking to the topic.

Children that come from poor homes are fed poor quality food which we know, leaves us hungrier than good wholesome food.  Bearing in mind also, most small children cant always communicate that they didn't have much for breakfast and it can often go unnoticed. They get tired - and they do get so tired and run down, I've seen it first hand, they get grumpy and tearful and they get distracted.

Where do you think education begins, rags?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:52 pm

"For some areas of the country, young people are much less likely to go to university than in other areas.

Has anyone actually established that young people from those areas are actually applying to go to university?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:53 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You can't go back so many years to establish if someone should get better A level grades or not. That's just daft.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:54 pm

I never eat breakfast anyway ...
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You can't go back so many years to establish if someone should get better A level grades or not. That's just daft.

When I log on here I read certain people's post with an advanced interest, some more than others. I always read your posts because you interest me and I know you're pretty intelligent. On most matters you are.
I have noticed that in matters regarding children you're out of your depth because you don't know where you're headed. This isn't a slur - I'm out of my depth on a lot of topics - but this one I know like the back of my hand.

You're wrong in this in every way.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:03 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

When I log on here I read certain people's post with an advanced interest, some more than others. I always read your posts because you interest me and I know you're pretty intelligent. On most matters you are.
I have noticed that in matters regarding children you're out of your depth because you don't know where you're headed. This isn't a slur - I'm out of my depth on a lot of topics - but this one I know like the back of my hand.

You're wrong in this in every way.

It's nothing to do with being out of one's depth. My views are about education, which is given to all children, and I don't consider that poverty is a good excuse to do badly at school, especially at A levels.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Don't universities interview potential students these days? They used to, and they would ask all kinds of questions about why the student wants to go to university, and what they want to achieve. There's no need to have a "rule" about how poor someone is or isn't.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:09 pm

This is complete pc leftie nonsense...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

Thank you. Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review  2984306523

Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review  Happy-smiley05
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Oh, don't start with the leftie rightie shite Allow students into universities with lower grades if they have been 'held back by poverty', says official review  2347854014
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

I agree. I mean, you might have a bright rich kid who didn't make the grades for a variety of reasons. I don't see why they should single out "poverty" as a factor.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Have you ever been starving for a long period of time?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:17 pm

eddie wrote:Have you ever been starving for a long period of time?

Don't start that - children aren't starving in this country.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Have you ever been starving for a long period of time?

Don't start that - children aren't starving in this country.

Have you? I have as an adult due to poverty (long story, I was 16) and just lately.

Because I like to bring honesty to my posts - otherwise there's just no point - I'm going to tell you that lately, I've been under a lot of stress. I'm a very strong person and I am smart but I have been so stressed that I haven't been eating much at all, I mean really small amounts. I've not been sleeping well and that's partly due to my body not functioning well and feeling stressed. It has sent me a bit loopy at times. I mean over-the-edge loopy. I haven't been able to concentrate like I normally do and I keep forgetting things. I haven't been able to exercise because I've had no energy.
And I am an adult. A really healthy, fit adult.

A small child cannot cope when he feels like that. He hasn't got the wherewithal to even comprehend that he feels all those things I've just explained and know it's because he's hungry.

I can't tell you anything more than that because it's all I have. I have a couple of really decent people who've been there for me every day, listening and loving me. If a child hasn't even got that, and cannot find the words to ask for that....well, I guess you can imagine how little he has left within him to learn and memorise letters and their sounds.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Here are some things that only poor children know.

A fingernail file can be used to file a jagged edge if a tooth breaks.

Doesn't apply in the UK.   Children get free dental treatments here.

We go to the doctor when we’re sick, but mom doesn’t.

Same as above, including  adults.

We have to move a lot because sometimes we can’t afford the rent.

Families with kids are given priority here for housing.  You never see anyone with kids living on the streets.

I don’t always tell my mom when I need school supplies. I can tell it makes her nervous.

We have family allowance in the UK, which should go on things like this.  Seems like the USA sucks.

Having to print something for school gives me anxiety. Our printer doesn’t always have ink. It’s easier for me to just get a bad grade on the project than admit to the teacher I can’t afford to print.

Printers?  Who the fuck had printers years ago.  Use a pen and paper.

Ditto homework that requires the internet. Sometimes we have it, sometimes we don’t. People say “use the library” but there’s not always gas money to get there and they are only open one evening a week.

Again, what did we all do before the internet? Went to the library.  Gas money?   Walk!

God doesn’t hear my prayers.

God doesn't care about your prayers.   Learn that early and you won't have any expectations.

The only time I’ve ever been to a store to buy new clothes is when my aunt took me. The dressing rooms were foreign to me.

Try living in a Bombay slum where they don't even have an aunt.

I learned how to cook ramen noodles when I was six years old. I was hungry when I got home from school and mom wasn’t ever there to cook because she was working.

The UK equivalent is toast.   Millions of school kids have thrived on it without getting fat.   Ramen noodles are delicious.

Healthy snacks are expensive. Ramen noodles are cheap.

So is an apple or a piece of toast.   Ramen noodles = 45p.  One bag of apples from Asda (Walmart) 68p for 6 = 11p each.

My grandmother criticizes my mom for not feeding us more healthy food. What she doesn’t understand is that healthy food usually costs a lot more.

One pizza from Asda  = £2.50.   Sausage, mash, peas and gravy = £1.38

We can never get the chicken nuggets at McDonald’s. We have to order from the dollar menu that mom calls garbage food.

Who in their right mind takes a kid to McDonalds for food.  It's garbage.

Every day when I get off the bus, I’m scared until I get inside the house. Mom’s at work when I get home.

So where is your all caring gran who cares so much about the quality of your food?

I know I’d be a really good football player, but we’ve never been able to afford for me to play.

Get a paper round.  That's what millions of kids did back in the day if they wanted things.

When I go somewhere where there’s a piano, I love to try to play. I know I’d be really good but we’ll never be able to afford a piano or lessons.

See above.

I don’t wear different clothes every day.

That's why you have a school uniform.

We have to buy all white socks because if one gets lost or torn up, it may be a while before we buy more.

You made that one up!

We are really good at cleaning our house with stuff that most people don’t use to clean, like bleach and vinegar.

What's wrong with bleach and vinegar?   Both are excellent cleaning products and one is eco friendly.

Mom keeps her toothbrush in her bedroom so that it doesn’t accidentally brush up against ours in the bathroom. Germs and she can’t afford to get sick and miss work or go to the doctor.

Do you have leprosy or something?

I have no idea what other kids are talking about when they’re talking about the latest TV shows. We’ve never had cable.

You're missing nothing.  Read a book, it's more stimulating and educational.

I sometimes dread the summer and weekends because at school, I eat two meals a day.

See toast.

I’ve never tasted any of the cool cereals that my friends talk about.

Don't worry, you'll have good teeth while theirs will all be rotten by the time they grow up.

When I get money from relatives for my birthday or Christmas, I use it to buy things I don’t want to ask mom for, like hair products and underwear.

Go eu naturelle and commando.

My hair nearly always get too long between haircuts. I got sent home from school once because of it. Mom cut it herself.

And your point is?

One Christmas, we had no money so we went to the Dollar Tree where everything is a dollar Mom gave us each $5 and told us to go shopping for each other. It was the weirdest and funnest Christmas ever.

See...you can have fun on a budget!

Sometimes we have to use dish liquid in the washing machine. It works if you only use a small squirt.

Detergent is detergent  is detergent.

Sometimes we get sick and go to the doctor. He gives us an antibiotic and tell us to start it, but if he calls to say that our strep test came back negative, we can stop taking it. When this happens, Mom keeps that medicine so that she can take it if she has an emergency and gets sick.

Common sense.

Sometimes we want to pack cool lunches like some other kids do, but it’s cheaper to eat the school cafeteria food. Mom says the food’s not healthy, but we get free lunches so that’s what we eat. Mom gives us money every day so that we can buy an extra milk at school. It’s cheaper than if we bought it at the grocery store.

I sit really quietly when I get an ice cream cone, enjoying every lick.

Me too.

I didn’t do as well as I should have in math classes because I couldn’t afford the calculator that was required.

That's why you need to use your brain like in olden times.

We can’t always afford to go to the laundromat and we have to wear dirty clothes.

Soap?  Elbow grease?  You're never too young to wash your one pair of smalls.

A bottle of Febreeze can be used to cover the smell of dirty clothes.

A bottle of Febreeze costs twice as much as soap powder!!!  MOM!!!!

I know exactly how many miles our car will go after the low fuel light comes on.

Car? When I was a kid it was Shank's Pony

We take blankets in the car because the car doesn’t have heat.

If you need blankets then your journey is obviously quite a long one, and I thought mom couldn't afford the fuel?

I’ve never had a birthday party.

Awww

We don’t always get our presents — birthday and Christmas — at the right time.

But you just said.....?

Our grass gets high sometimes. We don’t have a lawn mower and mom never has enough money to buy one. She usually does have $50 to pay someone to mow the grass but sometimes she has to wait a couple of weeks to get the money.

Grass over food and clothes and soap powder!  MOM!!!

Mom misses my open houses at school and my football games because she doesn’t always have gas. She has a neighbor friend who I can ride with to my games.

So how does she get to work?

We learned that washing our clothes by hand is a lot of work. Our washer broke and it was two months before we could afford a new one.

My heart bleeds....

When we finally got a new washer, Mom bought it at a place where you can rent to own. It costs twice as much to buy things that way. Mom says it’s expensive to be poor.

If she can afford to pay those prices, she can afford to save up and purchase it outright.

We’ve never met our doctor. We go to a clinic and a nurse sees us every time.

So you do get medical treatment?

We eat a lot of unhealthy food. Carbs and fats are cheaper than protein.

Eggs x 6 = £1.00   Butter £1.50.  

I’ve never ordered a soda at a restaurant.

Restaurant?   I thought you were poor?

We never take anything for granted. Whether it’s candy, toys, food, or cool clothes, we know it’s a blessing.

That's how it should be. It's called humility.

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2014/05/29/things-poor-kids-know/

Hell, what a load of contrived poop. lol!

Yeah, I know, I'm a heartless rightie lying scumbag beotch!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:40 pm

If you do shit at your GCSEs then you can study harder and retake them...

If you do shit at your A levels then you can always study harder and retake them too...

What is this op bullshit really about except trying to gerrymander things...?

What next...?

A top cyclist must be denied a place in the Olympic squad for some other kid who didn't have a bike when he was 8 years old...!!!???

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:02 pm

It's a bit of a silly list to be honest. It's not that I'm unsympathetic for poverty but I've lived and breathed it myself and in much much harsher conditions than those listed. I think when you've lived through that level of poverty, then you have little sympathy for someone who can't have Chicken McNuggets in McDonalds.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:27 am

@HT

some of the answers are amusing

like get a paper round? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

what century is it?

and do you think people that live in the lowest income areas get newspapers delivered?

Although a lot is true, USA sucks and Socialism rocks

I do support the Idea that kids from poorer areas should get bonus towards University. You can see the difference between the kids that got their first jobs while at school and those that had rich enough parents to no have to.

and While I still got into Uni, I have no doubt I would have got a better mark had I not been working 30 hours a week in a restaurant at the same time.

For some people the difference it made would mean not getting in at all.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:29 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Exactly what I expected you to say Sleep
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:08 am

H/T, Your replies to Bens list were 100% correct. Just shows he has lived a life of luxery and knows fcuk all about "how it was"
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:15 am

Tommy Monk wrote:
If you do shit at your GCSEs then you can study harder and retake them...

If you do shit at your A levels then you can always study harder and retake them too...

What is this op bullshit really about except trying to gerrymander things...?

What next...?

A top cyclist must be denied a place in the Olympic squad for some other kid who didn't have a bike when he was 8 years old...!!!???

Or rather... he had the bike but his mum didn't give him 3 shredded wheat for breakfast every morning!!!

lol!
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:09 am

veya_victaous wrote:@HT

what century is it?

and do you think people that live in the lowest income areas get newspapers delivered?

I do support the Idea that kids from poorer areas should get bonus towards University. You can see the difference between the kids that got their first jobs while at school and those that had rich enough parents to no have to.

and While I still got into Uni, I have no doubt I would have got a better mark had I not been working 30 hours a week in a restaurant at the same time.

I was just winding people up, as I don't think true poverty is a joke at all. But that list is clearly contrived and some of it simply ludicrous when you consider the real poverty in the world.

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:15 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:It's a bit of a silly list to be honest.  It's not that I'm unsympathetic for poverty but I've lived and breathed it myself and in much much harsher conditions than those listed.   I think when you've lived through that level of poverty, then you have little sympathy for someone who can't have Chicken McNuggets in McDonalds.

How did you come by such misfortune, H? Shocked Did something terrible happen to your family? ... like eg, the breadwinner becoming too ill to work? You recovered well and made a success of your life.

My parents suffered lots of misfortunes and lost out big time on their inheritance. But they both pulled themselves up by the bootstraps and recovered from the blows they suffered. My dad's dad married a very young gold digger after his wife died, then he promptly dropped dead too, that was  just one cause of lost inheritance. But they both recovered well.

Last edited by Jules on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:27 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:@HT

what century is it?

I was just winding people up, as I don't think true poverty is a joke at all.    But that list is clearly contrived and some of it simply ludicrous when you consider the real poverty in the world.    

I think people realise it was a wind up cos after all, those comments were from several different children, in different family circs etc, yet you replied as if it was the one child who was speaking. So I knew you were kidding. Laughing

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Jules wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I was just winding people up, as I don't think true poverty is a joke at all.    But that list is clearly contrived and some of it simply ludicrous when you consider the real poverty in the world.    

I think people realise it was a wind up cos after all, those comments were from several different children, in different family circs etc, yet you replied as if it was the one child who was speaking. So I knew you were kidding.  Laughing

I'm sure someone, somewhere will lambast me for it lol!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:36 pm

Nah, relax, oi reckons ya got away with it. lol!

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down