NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear

5 posters

Go down

Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear Empty Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear

Post by eddie Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:14 pm

Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear

Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, has condemned a controversial “burkini ban” in parts of France, insisting that women should not be told what they can and can’t wear.

It comes amid mounting controversy over the “burkini ban” imposed in several of the country’s world-famous Riviera resorts. Earlier this week photographs emerged showing four male police officers armed with handguns, batons and pepper spray forcing a woman on a beach in Nice to remove what they suspected to be a burkini.

“I’m quite firm on this. I don’t think anyone should tell women what they can and can’t wear. Full stop. It’s as simple as that,” Mr Khan told the Evening Standard.

Burkini ban protest outside French embassy in London

He added: “I don’t think it’s right. I’m not saying we’re perfect yet, but one of the joys of London is that we don’t simply tolerate difference, we respect it, we embrace it, and we celebrate it.”

Mr Khan, who was elected mayor of London earlier this year, was meeting his Parisian counterpart Anne Hidalgo for talks on trade, security and measures to tackle air pollution. “London and Paris are two of the greatest commercial and cultural cities in the world and we have much to gain from working even closer together post-referendum,” Mr Khan added.

"We have a thriving French community in London, who make a massive contribution to the economy and the vibrancy of our city, and I want to reassure them that they'll always be welcome."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/burkini-ban-france-sadiq-khan-uk-swimwear-hijab-Muslims-a7209121.html
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear Empty Re: Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:10 pm

eddie wrote:Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear

Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, has condemned a controversial “burkini ban” in parts of France, insisting that women should not be told what they can and can’t wear.

It comes amid mounting controversy over the “burkini ban” imposed in several of the country’s world-famous Riviera resorts. Earlier this week photographs emerged showing four male police officers armed with handguns, batons and pepper spray forcing a woman on a beach in Nice to remove what they suspected to be a burkini.

“I’m quite firm on this. I don’t think anyone should tell women what they can and can’t wear. Full stop. It’s as simple as that,” Mr Khan told the Evening Standard.

He added: “I don’t think it’s right. I’m not saying we’re perfect yet, but one of the joys of London is that we don’t simply tolerate difference, we respect it, we embrace it, and we celebrate it.”

Mr Khan, who was elected mayor of London earlier this year, was meeting his Parisian counterpart Anne Hidalgo for talks on trade, security and measures to tackle air pollution. “London and Paris are two of the greatest commercial and cultural cities in the world and we have much to gain from working even closer together post-referendum,” Mr Khan added.

"We have a thriving French community in London, who make a massive contribution to the economy and the vibrancy of our city, and I want to reassure them that they'll always be welcome."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/burkini-ban-france-sadiq-khan-uk-swimwear-hijab-Muslims-a7209121.html

That's kind of ironic seeing as it's Islam that makes women cover up in the first place.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear Empty Re: Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:21 pm

But, HT, that's a religious belief; while it may be enforced by people, it's not quite the same thing as a government of people telling someone what to wear.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:31 pm

Exactly that. His own wife wears western clothing and also Muslim dress.

Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear Image249

Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear Image250
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:37 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:But, HT, that's a religious belief; while it may be enforced by people, it's not quite the same thing as a government of people telling someone what to wear.

well, it is, if it becomes the law. It's a 'religious belief' to condemn and outlaw homosexuality in some parts. That doesn't make it right nor excuse it.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:38 pm

eddie wrote:Exactly that. His own wife wears western clothing and also Muslim dress.

He's trying to tell the French what to do. Not a good idea. It's really none of his business.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:44 pm

No it's not, you're right. He's the Lord Mayor of London not the world, but his heart is in the right place and I agree with him in this instance.

I feel very strongly about people being allowed to practice their religion or wear what they want. I'd hate for someone to tell me what to wear.

I lived and worked in the Maldives for 6 months and it's a Muslim island. As it was a holiday resort, they had to allow bikinis obviously, but they didn't serve pork and as workers, employed by the island, none of the band were allowed to wear a cross.
None of us did, but we were told that in our contract.

Never mind that the owner of the island became our biggest fan and smoked herbal cigarettes with us every night.....and drank like a Maldivan reef fish.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:46 pm

eddie wrote:No it's not, you're right. He's the Lord Mayor of London not the world, but his heart is in the right place and I agree with him in this instance.

I feel very strongly about people being allowed to practice their religion or wear what they want. I'd hate for someone to tell me what to wear.

I lived and worked in the Maldives for 6 months and it's a Muslim island. As it was a holiday resort, they had to allow bikinis obviously, but they didn't serve pork and as workers, employed by the island, none of the band were allowed to wear a cross.
None of us did, but we were told that in our contract.

Never mind that the owner of the island became our biggest fan and smoked herbal cigarettes with us every night.....and drank like a Maldivan reef fish.  

You weren't allowed to wear a crucifix? And yet you're talking of being able to wear what you want?

I rest my case. lol!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Yes I know. It didn't affect me directly because I never wanted to wear one, but if I had....I'd have put my foot down and worn it, you better believe it.

I did have a pair of silver, knee high, sparkly seventies platform boots that they objected to - only once.
I wore them anyway and they became very a popular talking point on the island after that.

The old Bangladeshi men used to say "Are you walk on them ok miss 'Eddie'?"
I loved those guys. They got worked like dogs.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:14 am

Everyone should be free to express their convictions, and we might all do better to stop this constant questioning of where those convictions come from, because all of our convictions come from something. Old Irish Proverb: "If we were born where they were born and taught as they were taught, we'd believe what they believe."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:Its the law of the land so people should respect it. It's an ironic and hypocritical law but if those are the rules then follow them.

Besides, I never understood why you'd want to go down to the beach covered up anyway.

When 'laws' are implemented due to a 'knee-jerk - hysteria driven reaction' and has zero bearing on rational thinking then as with this hysteria driven one; it needed to be rescinded. And rational thinking humans did just that.  

Medical Reasons: whether it be from having to take certain meds that prohibit sun exposure - having sun allergies but enjoy the ocean - have children that love coming to the beach - having had some prior skin burns that can't handle anymore sun exposure - personal choice.  Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear 2190311264
There are many reasons that people should be allowed to wear what they CHOSE to wear and public humiliating that women was wrong on many levels!  Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:19 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:
eddie wrote:Exactly that. His own wife wears western clothing and also Muslim dress.

Not a Muslim dress. Indian.

Nice pokies. Must have been chilly.

My mistake. I never noticed her pokies. lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:17 pm

eddie wrote:Sadiq Khan condemns burkini ban: 'Don't tell women what to wear

and yet he bans pictures of women in bikini's on the underground.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Most people are hypocrites I've found.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:39 pm

eddie wrote:Most people are hypocrites I've found.
the biggest ones seem to be in the labour party though.
but that might just be personal opinion
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:43 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:
eddie wrote:Most people are hypocrites I've found.

Nah. That's your opinion. Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:49 pm

eddie wrote:
The Devil, You Know wrote:

Nah. That's your opinion. Razz

vaz,
khan
abbott
miliband
miliband
blair
brown
the redditch saddleback
harperson
benn
kinnock
prescott

and they were just the ones that spring to mind without thinking of it
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down