NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Action for Happiness

+5
Syl
Raggamuffin
eddie
HoratioTarr
Cass
9 posters

Go down

Action for Happiness Empty Action for Happiness

Post by Cass Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:30 am

In another thread I replied to Zack how after a few really bad weeks at work and with my stress levels going THROUGH THE ROOF, at one of my conference sessions we talked about positive psychology and action for happiness.

Here is the link
http://www.actionforhappiness.org/take-action/find-three-good-things-each-day

Basically:
"This action involves consciously spending a few minutes each day focusing on some of the good things that happen to us. By doing this we start to notice what goes right as well as wrong in our lives. Even on a bad day there are some good things that happen, however small.

Every night - before you go to bed, think back over your day and remember three good things that happened - things that went well, that you enjoyed or were grateful for. These can be small (e.g. a delicious sandwich or a child smiling on the bus) or of bigger importance for you. You'll probably find it varies. Try doing this for a week to start with.
Note them down - this is important. You may want to get a small notebook just for this purpose - or you can track them online using a website like Happy Rambles.
Think about why - for each thing you're grateful for, write down why it happened and why you feel good about it. This may feel a bit tricky at first but you'll soon get the hang.
Look back - after a week, have a look back on what you've written. How does it feel when you look at all these good things? Do you notice any themes?
Keep it up - try keeping it up for another couple of weeks at least. Many people find it becomes a bedtime habit. After a while you may find that you don't need to do it every night. Three times a week or even once a week might be enough. You may also find that you start to appreciate the good things more as they happen."

It was a great reminder to me of the many good and great things in my life and that I need to stop and smell the roses instead of remembering the thorn pricks. I have bought my notebook as this will keep me accountable.

I thought I would share this since there seems to be a bit of an atmosphere here lately so this is for ALL of us to write NICE things that have happened to us.

1. I had a really really delicious brownie for dessert at lunch.

2. The weather has cooled down and it is glorious to walk about and I am sleeping better at night.

3. Thanks to modern technology I could facetime Mr. C and junior, who were at my mums having dinner (and god it looked delicious), and tell them that I loved and missed them and hear it back.

Over to you....please can we all try to keep it good.

Love n peace
Cass x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Action for Happiness Empty Re: Action for Happiness

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:51 am

Sometime we can take the burden of the world upon our shoulders and forget we need to share out those burdens, as sometimes the load is simply to heavy.

Our boss has us doing charity work this week and we are in a private school for a few days doing  jobs in the School he grew up in. We are raising money for Great Ormund Street Hospital which is something very close to my heart.

Yesterday myself, my boss in my department and another were assigned to the kitchen.
I was assigned washing up detail. Not only was it the hardest work I have done for sometime, it was also a great workout as I was sweating buckets. It was a great laugh, i got soaked and got to appreciate what it is like for those on minimum wage that do this sort of work part time daily, mainly mums. They were barking orders at us in the kitchen and kept us fed with some of the best food I have had made for me by the fact they have a top chef there. (Its 22k per year per pupil) Even got to take home some of the great dishes left over, but those kids get some of the best food I have ever seen. What disappointed me was how much was thrown away and we have decided to come up with a plan how best we can turn this waste intoi help for those who need food.

Its also a team building week and it gets us all to learn how to cope under other forms of stress. I always find that humans with stress are just like champaign bottles and that you simply need to open the cork in order to relieve that stress. Which means sometimes you actually need to become angry or upset just in order to realse all that negative energy and you will find yourself feeling that much better afterwards. Of course i do not mean directing this at anyone but in a place where you can relieve all that negative emotions that build up within each and all of us.

No idea what they have in store today, but so far its been fun and we are there until Friday. Am really looking forward to the food.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Sounds like a great idea Didge.

Have fun and report back your 3 things later. albino

Morning has broooooookkkkkkeeeennnnnnnn....ahem...sorry...only singing allowed is in the shower so I'm on my way >>>>>>>>>

Have a great day peeps x
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Just for today, do not be angry
Just for today, do not worry
Just for today, be grateful
Just for today, work hard
Just for today, be kind to others.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:36 pm

1 My friend has had a scan and the doctor was very pleased with her results. Better than expected.

2 the rain has watered all my plants which saves me a horrible job doing them tonight

3 I really enjoyed the Didge's story and was glad someone soaked him Razz and it's good to hear people are taking wasted food seriously

4 my son is doing really well in mocks and exams so I'm very proud of his hard work

Lovely thread Cass. I often count my blessings xxx
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Declutter your house.
Stop spending money on unnecessary items and go to the pub instead.
Simplify your life as much as possible.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Concentrate on the little good things in life...a strangers smile, a phone call from a friend, a happy memory that pops into your head unexpectedly.

For me this afternoon I got caught in the biggest downpour....hair frizzed, sandaled feet got soaked, white blouse went see through.....but it was GREAT. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:09 pm

Syl wrote:Concentrate on the little good things in life...a strangers smile, a phone call from a friend, a happy memory that pops into your head unexpectedly.

For me this afternoon I got caught in the biggest downpour....hair frizzed, sandaled feet got soaked, white blouse went see through.....but it was GREAT. cheers

You were wearing your nets for a change then? rabbit
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:12 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:Concentrate on the little good things in life...a strangers smile, a phone call from a friend, a happy memory that pops into your head unexpectedly.

You were wearing your nets for a change then? rabbit

Yep.....it was very liberating. booby shake

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:17 pm

action for happines...

go to fridge
open fridge
remove bottle of chilled beer
close fridge (to keep rest of beer cool)
DRINK beer

repeat as necessary......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:22 pm

Lord Foul wrote:action for happines...

go to fridge
open fridge
DRINK beer

Action for Happiness Q4MqQ
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:22 pm

Do someone a good turn, that always a recipe for happiness.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Lord Foul wrote:action for happines...

go to fridge
open fridge
DRINK beer

You've got that slightly wrong.

Go to fridge
Open fridge
Remove bottle of chilled beer
and thickly sliced home baked ham on a crispy roll
Consume
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:44 pm

nope HT...the ham takes up room reserved for beer......both in the fridge AND in you.......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:58 pm

Cass wrote:Sounds like a great idea Didge.

Have fun and report back your 3 things later. albino

Morning has broooooookkkkkkeeeennnnnnnn....ahem...sorry...only singing allowed is in the shower so I'm on my way >>>>>>>>>

Have a great day peeps x

Hi Cass

It certainly was another amusing day, as they had us back in the kitchen. Where i was going to be doing the dishes again, simply as apparantly i was good at it, though i think they were just buttering me up. Though to start with, they asked if i could help on the counter first of all serve the nursery group, with my boss. The lunches are staggered between the age groups, with Nursery 3-4 Pre Prep ages 4-7 and Prep ages 7-11. So they are quite strict with the little ones what they have to eat where they ensure they get the right balance each day.

Anyway, one of the girls (Aimele) stops and smiles up at me and asks me if I am Potato head. Of course my boss and most of the staff crack up with laughter and I realising straight away she thinks I am the toy Potato head, state that I am. She wants me to come and play after lunch, but instead I am invited over to sit and have lunch  with 3-4 year olds, by the Deputy head. As he is over seing lunches that day. So whilst i grab my lunch of fish (which was awsome), my boss is sniggering until I look back at him and say "well who do you think is going to have to wash up now, mwhahaha". He smile quickly vanished.   Razz

Got to spend the rest of the afternoon with the nursery group and of course Aimele was disappointed parts of my head did not become detached, but we had a great laugh and with all the other kids. Really made my day and was way better than being in the sweatbox kitchen doing the dishes again. Caught up with my boss who looked soaked and cursing me, with now me laughing and we went to see the head together with my other collegue to talk about the left overs. The previous day there must have been enough food left over to serve at least 15 people and I mean adult portions. Today it was more like 20. The head said he is going to contact the family Food bank in Seveington and ask someone to hopefully come down this week or to meet another time with my boss and the school. They already have all these cooler boxes as the kids when they go on field trips as two classes are on Friday, will have loads of sarnies packed for them. My boss said he will look into the cost of delivering this each day, as we already have vans in the logistics department. So things look promising.

1) Happy to have made Aimele's day and all of the nursery and its staff.

2) Happy they made my day and also by getting me out of washing up

3) Progress is being made in regards to left over food.

4) Even happy to live with now my boss calling me Potato head lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:00 pm

Lord Foul wrote:nope HT...the ham takes up room reserved for beer......both in the fridge AND in you.......

Hear, hear. Getting a beer fridge this weekend, that's got me over the moon Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:19 pm

Great things everybody including Mr. Potato Head :lol0!:

Today for me:

1) I have convinced a lot of my colleagues to go to what I consider is the best Indian restaurant in the state for dinner tonight. YES!!!

2) I am halfway done with my power point presentation project for this conference. And I haven't killed anyone yet so bonus.

3) It looks like rain which we so need here to help with some bad fires particularly, plus I love the smell and miss it!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:04 am

I agree with Vic - glug glug all the way. I'd go for a drip if I could.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:nope HT...the ham takes up room reserved for beer......both in the fridge AND in you.......

Hear, hear. Getting a beer fridge this weekend, that's got me over the moon Smile

Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Didge don't let the potato head joke give you a chip on your shoulder. Razz

Working with kids is such a spirit-lifter.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:39 pm

eddie wrote:Didge don't let the potato head joke give you a chip on your shoulder. Razz

I loved it Eddie  Laughing

As I say had a great day yesterday

Today was back at the office as had some problems to solve, but back again tomorrow and its sports say, which they said we would be part of for the 3-7 years in the afternoon.

So I am happy for this week.

Happy that Cass started a wonderful postive thread.

Very happy Ben's sister should have all her debt gone away by the disney vid value

Most of all I love life

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Paul Ettinger wrote:
eddie wrote:Didge don't let the potato head joke give you a chip on your shoulder. Razz

Today was back at the office as had some problems to solve, but back again tomorrow and its sports say, which they said we would be part of for the 3-7 years in the afternoon.

Very happy Ben's sister should have all her debt gone away by the disney vid value

Most of all I love life

And so we should love life. We only get one.
Don't let them tire you out on sports day lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:41 pm

eddie wrote:
Paul Ettinger wrote:

Most of all I love life

And so we should love life. We only get one.
Don't let them tire you out on sports day lol!

lol thanks Eddie, its the smile, when they said we would be involved that look very much like to say, "just you wait" that disconcerted me slightly lol

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Never work with children or animals. affraid
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:53 pm

Irn Bru wrote:I agree with Vic - glug glug all the way. I'd go for a drip if I could.

A long cold lager and lime right now.   I'm happy, hallf killed myself but every bit of unpacking done and put away and the conservatory, where all the house stuffed was dumped, clean and shiny and the spare garage where all the stuff to store is, all stacked neatly and labelled.  OH finishing work tomorrow, arrivingSaturday and he won't have a thing to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:31 am

Best advice is to value your family and your friends and never lose them. Treat others as you would expect to be treated yourself and live your life to the full and be everything you can be.

Don't be a slave to anything especially your computer and don't let it rule your life to the extent that you miss so much out there in the real world.

There really is so much more than that.

BTW - I've had a shit day as the washing machine sprung a leak and the shower stopped working. Bought a new solenoid £17.94 and spent most of the day fitting it only to find it didn't solve the problem.

Such is life Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:15 am

1) Had an ice cream sandwich for dessert. Hadn't had one for years and it was LUSH.

2) Get to see Mr. C, junior, the dog and kitties tomorrow night cheers

3) listening to a mix that senior did on soundcloud called Tropical Mix. It's pretty darn good for not being heavy metal and would be perfect to take to Irn's island Action for Happiness 2696538800
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:07 am

This is a great idea, Cass. I can be pretty irritated when I dwell on many things, but reflecting on my life always keeps me aware if how much I have to be grateful for.

Three positive things today.

1. About to go and buy new Uncharted for PS4.
2. Just Taught my BF's brother and his GF and they seemed to enjoy it and gain from it.
3. Always go back to this one- I live in Bangkok Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:34 am

Eilzel wrote:This is a great idea, Cass. I can be pretty irritated when I dwell on many things, but reflecting on my life always keeps me aware if how much I have to be grateful for.

Three positive things today.

1. About to go and buy new Uncharted for PS4.
2. Just Taught my BF's brother and his GF and they seemed to enjoy it and gain from it.
3. Always go back to this one- I live in Bangkok Smile

You got it toots.

Taught them what?
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:05 am

English, they are both low level but very willing Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 am

Eilzel wrote:English, they are both low level but very willing Smile

Cool. I'm sure you're a great teacher x

1) my presentation was very well received.

2) I made some nice new friends this week.

3) lying on my own bed with the kitties on me and the house is relatively clean and still standing

Smile
Smile
Smile
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down