NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Children born to older mothers are 'smarter, taller and healthier' says study

3 posters

Go down

Children born to older mothers are 'smarter, taller and healthier' says study Empty Children born to older mothers are 'smarter, taller and healthier' says study

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2016 1:24 pm

Children born to older mothers tend to be taller, healthier and better educated than siblings who were born before them.
Those were the findings of new study by Mikko Myrskylä of the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research and Kieron Barclay of the London School of Economics, published this week in the Population and Development Review.
Barclay and Myrskylä looked at data from more than 1.5 million Swedish men and women born between 1960 and 1991, examining the relationship between a mother's age at time of birth, and height, fitness and educational attainment of her children. 
They found that, as years progress, people are getting steadily healthier and education opportunities are improving - and thus it pays to be born later.
The researchers compared siblings who shared the same parents and who grew up in the same household environment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/04/14/children-born-to-older-mothers-are-smarter-taller-and-healthier/

Back to top Go down

Children born to older mothers are 'smarter, taller and healthier' says study Empty Re: Children born to older mothers are 'smarter, taller and healthier' says study

Post by eddie Mon May 09, 2016 4:33 pm

I can perhaps understand the healthier aspect to it as older mothers may tend to cook healthier meals, for example, but taller??
Why would that be?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Children born to older mothers are 'smarter, taller and healthier' says study Empty Re: Children born to older mothers are 'smarter, taller and healthier' says study

Post by Ben Reilly Mon May 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Well, there does seem to be a link between nutrition and height.

The short answer to this question is that about 60 to 80 percent of the difference in height between individuals is determined by genetic factors, whereas 20 to 40 percent can be attributed to environmental effects, mainly nutrition.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-much-of-human-height/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Interesting but I'm not sure I buy it
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon May 09, 2016 6:23 pm

scratch

I DON'T BELIEVE it, eithet...

Especially whan I see where the study comes from..

I can understand a nutrition link -- as that's been known for yonks, but not one with "older mothers"..

I would also like to see other factors studied, also :
E.g. did the parents smoke;
How much physical activity/exercise did the child do over the first decade or two ?
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down