NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does the moon affect our mood or actions?

+3
'Wolfie
nicko
eddie
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does the moon affect our mood or actions? - Page 2 Empty Does the moon affect our mood or actions?

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2016 11:27 am

First topic message reminder :

Are children like werewolves? Study of children's sleeping patterns over lunar cycles.

Always surrounded by an aura of mystery, the moon and its possible influence over human behavior has been object of ancestral fascination and mythical speculation for centuries. While the full moon cannot turn people into werewolves, some people do accuse it of causing a bad night's sleep or creating physical and mental alterations. But is there any science behind these myths?

To establish if lunar phases somehow do affect humans, an international group of researchers studied children to see if their sleeping patterns changed or if there were any differences in their daily activities. The results were published in Frontiers in Pediatrics.

"We considered that performing this research on children would be particularly more relevant because they are more amenable to behavior changes than adults and their sleep needs are greater than adults," said Dr. Jean-Philippe Chaput, from the Eastern Ontario Research Institute.

The study was completed on a total of 5812 children from five continents. The children came from a wide range of economic and sociocultural levels, and variables such as age, sex, highest parental education, day of measurement, body mass index score, nocturnal sleep duration, level of physical activity and total sedentary time were considered.

Data collection took place over 28 months, which is equivalent to the same number of lunar cycles. These were then subdivided into three lunar phases: full moon, half-moon and new moon. The findings obtained in the study revealed that in general, nocturnal sleep duration around full moon compared to new moon reported an average decrease of 5 minutes (or a 1% variant). No other activity behaviors were substantially modified.

"Our study provides compelling evidence that the moon does not seem to influence people's behavior. The only significant finding was the 1% sleep alteration in full moon, and this is largely explained by our large sample size that maximizes statistical power," said Chaput.The clinical implication of sleeping 5 minutes less during full moon does not represent a considerable threat to health. "Overall, I think we should not be worried about the full moon. Our behaviors are largely influenced by many other factors like genes, education, income and psychosocial aspects rather than by gravitational forces," he added.

While the results of this study are conclusive, controversy over the moon could result in further research to determine if our biology is in some way synchronized with the lunar cycle or if the full moon has a larger influence in people suffering mental disorders or physical ailments.

"Folklore and even certain instances of occupational lore suggest that mental health issues or behaviors of humans and animals are affected by lunar phases. Whether there is science behind the myth or not, the moon mystery will continue to fascinate civilizations in the years to come," he said.

Story Source:

The above post is reprinted from materials provided by Frontiers. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160506105645.htm

Back to top Go down

Does the moon affect our mood or actions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does the moon affect our mood or actions?

Post by eddie Sun May 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Yes Didge I know Didge.

Rolling Eyes

I actually give up.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Does the moon affect our mood or actions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does the moon affect our mood or actions?

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2016 8:54 pm

eddie wrote:Yes Didge I know Didge.

Rolling Eyes

I actually give up.

On being naive?

Now that would be a wonderful start

Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 08, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2016 9:11 pm

Just curtsy to placate him, he might shut the fuck up then.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon May 09, 2016 12:04 am

the nurses in the emergency department think so ... Does the moon affect our mood or actions? - Page 2 2190311264

probably does, as it is the the peak hunting night for our ancestors. I wouldn't be surprised if it affect the circadian rhythm in some people.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon May 09, 2016 1:19 am

actually didge...if you READ your OP....

it makes the case that the effect of the moon is insignificant IN CHILDREN

it does not, in fact as both the authors state (incorrectly IMO) and you assert (also incorretly IMO) PROVE that there is no effect on adults

comparing children to adults is a poor methodology...

for instance if the effets of say opiates for example codeine, were adjudged on their effect on children...they wouldnt be available for use in adults, becasue children react badly (excessively) to them...
and as a further example if the effect of severe mental stress was adjudged on its effect on children and the results of that applied to adults, then NO adult should be able to survive stress without serious ill effect
moreover if the effect of severe physical stress (starvation and dehydration) on children was used as the standard for adults, then adults would be supermen (children have a better survival rate under such conditions, they frequently last longer than the adults.....)

So I wouldnt whole heartedly accept this OP of yours....I'd want a LOT more proof....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon May 09, 2016 1:27 am

as to whether its the moon DIRECTLY or due to some other effect, bearing in mind that evolved as we are we are in many aspects still "tied" to the oceans (and they ARE affected by the moon).

what is of interest in all of this is that IF people are "isolated" from sun and given no time clues....their circadian rhythm changes markedly and their "day length " alters..it no longer has 24 hrs.....I cant off hand remember whether this results in a longer or shorter "day"
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2016 5:23 am

Lord Foul wrote:actually didge...if you READ your OP....

it makes the case that the effect of the moon is insignificant IN CHILDREN

it does not, in fact as both the authors state (incorrectly IMO) and you assert (also incorretly IMO) PROVE that there is no effect on adults

comparing children to adults is a poor methodology...

for instance if the effets of say opiates for example codeine, were adjudged on their effect on children...they wouldnt be available for use in adults, becasue children react badly (excessively) to them...
and as a further example if the effect of severe mental stress was adjudged on its effect on children and the results of that applied to adults, then NO adult should be able to survive stress without serious ill effect
moreover if the effect of severe physical stress (starvation and dehydration) on children was used as the standard for adults, then adults would be supermen (children have a better survival rate under such conditions, they frequently last longer than the adults.....)

So I wouldnt whole heartedly accept this OP of yours....I'd want a LOT more proof....

And if you had bothered to read my replies I never said it had no effect but litttle effect to be of little significance

I suggest you read first replies befpre jumping in with your big mouth as usual and getting it wrong

I do not care either whether you need more proof

You are not the standard set that states what is scientifically right or wrong and never will be

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2016 5:24 am

Paul Ettinger wrote:
eddie wrote:Have you actually googled the moon and its affects Didge or did you do what you always do, and get some article and make like you're clever and you understood it?

It was a JOKE actually but I know you don't always get jokes.

Lunatic comes from the word "lunar"

Did you not know that?

In your own time.

No of course not Eddie, that is why I posted this thread to show a study that has gone to lenghs to show it has little effects on humans.

Did you read it or as per usual ignore the evidence?

Also it does not come from Lunar either, that was a later variation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunatic

I shall await Victors apology

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon May 09, 2016 8:32 am

you will wait a long time whilst you continue your unnecessary and uncivil behaviour to all and everyone....

a little civility and less of the big "I am" wouldnt come amiss

AND...I would suggest YOU read my post
"it makes the case that the effect of the moon is insignificant IN CHILDREN

it does not, in fact as both the authors state (incorrectly IMO) and you assert (also incorretly IMO) PROVE that there is no effect on adults"

which, whilst not quite precise is good enough for anyone involved in the debate, and I'm sure is well enough understood

NOW...before you demand precisionist grade english from others ...I suggest you improve your input,
and I further suggest that you stop being so bloody agressive with people that reply to your postings...there was no need for such an unpleasant post from yourself to ME.....take your wifes slippers off.. Rolling Eyes

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2016 9:18 am

Lord Foul wrote:you will wait a long time whilst you continue your unnecessary and uncivil behaviour to all and everyone....

a little civility and less of the big "I am" wouldnt come amiss

AND...I would suggest YOU read my post
"it makes the case that the effect of the moon is insignificant IN CHILDREN

it does not, in fact as both the authors state (incorrectly IMO) and you assert (also incorretly IMO) PROVE that there is no effect on adults"

which, whilst not quite precise is good enough for anyone involved in the debate, and I'm sure is well enough understood

NOW...before you demand precisionist grade english from others ...I suggest you improve your input,
and I further suggest that you stop being so bloody agressive with people that reply to your postings...there was no need for such an unpleasant post from yourself to ME.....take your wifes slippers off.. Rolling Eyes

Nothing to do with me, you came in running here trying your Prince Charming routine and then made a fuck up by stating something I never said.

What it shows is you are not man enough to admit you made a mistake and crap on about civility, when it was you that screwed up.

I did read your opinion where again you assert to no claim I made and even now try to back out of being wrong.

And as you have not the decency to admit you were wrong, as to your other requests until you do, then you can get stuffed.

When you show some humility, then you will have civillity.

Then is little to no evidence showing effects on humans.

If you believe there is, then its not down to me to disprove something not actually proven

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 09, 2016 10:31 am

Plenty of fuckwittery in this thread.

Is it a full moon?

Does the moon affect our mood or actions? - Page 2 3489511464
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 09, 2016 11:12 am

Paul Ettinger wrote:
eddie wrote:
Paul Ettinger wrote:

I would say women can be already moody during their cycle.
You are offering nothing as to saying otheriwse, just an opinion you have Eddie.
I am sure the people who study this have spent far longer looking into than yoiu have ever done.
Just saying

I didn't mention women's moods.
Read it properly you thick c@nt.

And you have absolutely no idea at all about menstrual cycles, or do you have a pretend degree in that as well?

So I guess mods get a free ride when using that language

For the record Didge I do apologise for calling you a c@nt
Not because it's even agaisnt the rules but because you didn't deserve it and hadn't called me anything nasty beforehand.
So please accept my apologies about the use of that word.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 09, 2016 11:46 am

eddie wrote:
Paul Ettinger wrote:

So I guess mods get a free ride when using that language

For the record Didge I do apologise for calling you a c@nt
Not because it's even agaisnt the rules but because you didn't deserve it and hadn't called me anything nasty beforehand.
So please accept my apologies about the use of that word.

I did not take it personally, as that is not simply how you would normally act and put it down to just one of a number of bouts we have had over the years.
But I know it means something to you to say so and thus happilly accept your apology

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 09, 2016 12:19 pm

Thank you
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2