NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Embarrassing gaffes.

+2
Original Quill
Syl
6 posters

Go down

Embarrassing gaffes. Empty Embarrassing gaffes.

Post by Syl Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Do you make many?

I have this really dreadful habit of getting the words wedding and funeral mixed up.
I have said several times "didn't she look lovely at the funeral"....and people are racking their brains to think who was buried in an open coffin.....when really I was meaning the bride looked lovely.

Another one....I remember faces but not names, and once I get someones name wrong I ALWAYS get it wrong forever after....very irritating for them I think. Embarassed
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Embarrassing gaffes. Empty Re: Embarrassing gaffes.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Syl wrote:Do you make many?

I have this really dreadful habit of getting the words wedding and funeral mixed up.
I have said several times "didn't she look lovely at the funeral"....and people are wracking their brains to think who was buried in an open coffin.....when really I was meaning the bride looked lovely.

Another one....I remember faces but not names, and once I get someones name wrong I ALWAYS get it wrong forever after....very irritating for them I think. Embarassed

Well I always remember congratulating my sister-in-law on being pregnant, when she was just overweight.
I certainly felt like I needed someone to shrink me so small I would hopefully disappear after that gaff Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:14 pm

I have said several times "didn't she look lovely at the funeral"....and people are racking their brains to think who was buried in an open coffin.....when really I was meaning the bride looked lovely.

Recurrent crossed-wires are a problem I have, too.  For some odd reason I associate/mix-up the names Michael and David.  I often meet a David and call him Mike, and vice-versa.  The person doesn't matter; it's just the names.

Embarrassing. Because how do you explain such an idiosyncratic brain cramp?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:25 pm

didge wrote:

I have said several times "didn't she look lovely at the funeral"....and people are wracking their brains to think who was buried in an open coffin.....when really I was meaning the bride looked lovely.

Well I always remember congratulating my sister-in-law on being pregnant, when she was just overweight.
I certainly felt like I needed someone to shrink me so small I would hopefully disappear after that gaff  Laughing

That's pretty embarrassing....I bet she went on an immediate diet. Razz

This is true, a wife of one of my OH's work associates would always say something similar to me whenever we met at some taxi do. It became a joke between a few of us...she would say something like "Oh, are you pregnant again?"
I never was... I was slim and she was really overweight.....which made her remarks seem very odd.
I would just say a blunt "No" and she would carry on talking irregardless of making her gaffe. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:27 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Recurrent crossed-wires are a problem I have, too.  For some odd reason I associate/mix-up the names Michael and David.  I often meet a David and call him Mike, and vice-versa.  The person doesn't matter; it's just the names.

Embarrassing.  Because how do you explain such an idiosyncratic brain cramp?

It's odd how once we get a persons name wrong we always seem to get it wrong.
There are mental tricks to educate your brain in not doing it in future....I don't know what they are though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:29 pm

Oh Syl I do the funeral/wedding one too!!!!

I have no idea why????
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:03 pm

eddie wrote:Oh Syl I do the funeral/wedding one too!!!!

I have no idea why????

I am strangely comforted that I'm not the only one Eddie. Laughing
It's horrible, such an extreme mistake getting a really happy day mixed up with a really sad one. Laughing Sad

Have you ever said something like "Did you go to 'so and so's' funeral?"...and the person you are talking to looks horrified.....you have to quickly say "Sorry, I meant her wedding".....it's so embarrassing. Embarassed
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Yes!!! And "What time is the wedding?" Is the worst one to ask when it's a funeral!
I do it all the time. It's like the "Don't mention the war" sketch in Fawlty Towers - I know that I make the mistake and my brain knows but my mouth still says the wrong word....
Awful.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 pm

eddie wrote:Yes!!! And "What time is the wedding?" Is the worst one to ask when it's a funeral!
I do it all the time. It's like the "Don't mention the war" sketch in Fawlty Towers - I know that I make the mistake and my brain knows but my mouth still says the wrong word....
Awful.

That's exactly it...the mind goes foggy and panicky and before you can stop yourself you have done it agian....it's like a form of tourettes. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Hahahahahaha Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:09 am

I was shopping in Marks years ago with my mum, and I held up a particularly vile shapeless garment and exclaimed in a loud voice, 'This piece of shit would only look good on a dwarf!'   And Lo!  Who do suppose was standing right next to me.

Yes... a fucking dwarf!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:45 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:I was shopping in Marks years ago with my mum, and I held up a particularly vile shapeless garment and exclaimed in a loud voice, 'This piece of shit would only look good on a dwarf!'   And Lo!  Who do suppose was standing right next to me.

Yes... a fucking dwarf!

Oh heck....that would be a definite "please let the ground open up and swallow me" moment. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Hahahahahahaha I do stuff like that!
"Look at this horrible coat!!" And there before you stands a woman in the coat..... No
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:14 pm

A doorman I used to work with was a bit of a ladies man. He was eyeing a woman up in a club, and said to a man he was idly chatting to,"See her, she is gorgeous from the back....unfortunately when she turns round her face lets her down"....it was the mans wife.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I was shopping in Marks years ago with my mum, and I held up a particularly vile shapeless garment and exclaimed in a loud voice, 'This piece of shit would only look good on a dwarf!'   And Lo!  Who do suppose was standing right next to me.

Yes... a fucking dwarf!

Oh heck....that would be a definite "please let the ground open up and swallow me" moment.  Razz

I'm one of those people who don't stress out at gaffes. I was like...oh well. My mum, however, was mortified.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Syl wrote:A doorman I used to work with was a bit of a ladies man. He was eyeing a woman up in a club, and said to a man he was idly chatting to,"See her, she is gorgeous from the back....unfortunately when she turns round her face lets her down"....it was the mans wife.

Oh dear.....
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:35 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Oh heck....that would be a definite "please let the ground open up and swallow me" moment.  Razz

I'm one of those people who don't stress out at gaffes.   I was like...oh well.   My mum, however, was mortified.  

No point in stressing really once it has been said, I do tend to get the giggles sometimes, which doesn't help much.

I only remember once feeling really REALLY bad at a gaffe I made....I am not going to relay it because it's too long and complicated and I suppose you had to be there....but it was horrible at the time.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:42 pm

we had just moved into a new house for about a week...when I saw my next dooor neighbour looking as miserable as sin...

I said to him "whats up with you ...the cat died or summat"...not even realising he HAD a cat

you guessed...he did have a cat...and it had just used up all its nine........ Embarassed
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:49 pm

Lord Foul wrote:we had just moved into a new house for about a week...when I saw my next dooor neighbour looking as miserable as sin...

I said to him "whats up with you ...the cat died or summat"...not even realising he HAD a cat

you guessed...he did have a cat...and it had just used up all its nine........ Embarassed

Embarassed

Or if you see someone dressed in black and say "you look as if you have just come from a funeral"........
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3578932/Put-flower-boy-Michelle-s-husband.html
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 10, 2016 8:50 pm

I read that, good job he had a sense of humour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed May 11, 2016 3:00 am

How in the hell did she become a Baroness??? For services to breasts???
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed May 11, 2016 4:04 am

Reminds me of the monopoly guy in the Ace Ventura film, When Nature Calls.

Embarrassing gaffes. DhdGlz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down