NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birds and wildlife where you live

+8
stardesk
Raggamuffin
veya_victaous
Victorismyhero
nicko
Major
Ben Reilly
eddie
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Empty Birds and wildlife where you live

Post by eddie Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Post by Whoseyourwolfie

BIRDS !!!

AROUND HERE, there would be more than two dozen varieties that are permanent residents, another couple of dozen that visit locally from the bush, wetlands and come down from the hills when there's food around, and maybe another couple of dozen that seasonally migrate through and by..
Some examples include -

LOCALS
Indigenous:     Black-backed magpies, White-backed magpies, Pee wees, Willy wagtail, Eastern Raven, Noisy miners, Crested pigeon, Black ducks, Teal ducks, Mallards, Moor hens
Introduced:  Mourning dove, Indian mynah, Sparrows, domestic ducks and geese released onto local creeks

LOCAL VISITORS
Indigenous:     Kookaburras, Azure kingfisher, Red Heron, Blue heron, Sulphur-crested cockatoo, Black cockatoo, Galahs, Wedge-tailed eagle, "Chicken hawk" (a type of Peregrine falcon), Black swan, Pelican, Silver gull, Kestrel, finches, warblers, Bell miner, Eastern rosella, Crimson rosella, Rainbow lorikeet, Grass parrots, Swamp hens, Cormorants, Egrets, Sacred ibis
Introduced:     Diamond back starling, racing pigeons (ferals)

MIGRATORY SPECIES
Indigenous:     White cockatoo, Honeyeaters, Bee eaters, pardalotes, Koel, Channel billed cuckoo, Black-faced cuckoo shrike, Magpie geese, a couple of honeyeaters..

THESE  are the ones that come to mind. If I checked those that have been seen &over the years, my list easily tops 70. Add in those that others claim to have seen, it will top 100..
(Still well behind Queensland and parts of Brazil..).
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Empty Re: Birds and wildlife where you live

Post by 'Wolfie Sat May 14, 2016 10:15 am

veya victorius wrote:

One i forgot but are both in Sydney and around my farmhouse
is the night sky life, It is something that i believe most place don't have
Flying foxes or fruit bats

Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 1338800852900

Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 2668429434

PLENTY of fruit bats and flying foxes around my neck of the woods...

Bats roosting in a couple of trees next door..
Often see bats flying over after sunset and before sunrise -- one morning I saw well over 10,000 heading from wetlands a few miles south, north to bushland...

DOWN near Peats Ridge one evening, a Flying fox flew in front of the Ford Falcon sedan I was driving, at widscreen level -- it's wingspan was as wide as the car !    (around 6 feet/1.83 metres..).

ONE DAY,  I will add some list of mammals and reptiles to this thread as well..
DON'T know when I will get photo's posted, though...            Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 2190311264
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Empty Re: Birds and wildlife where you live

Post by veya_victaous Sat May 14, 2016 10:43 am

eddie wrote:Beautiful pics Veya. Really lovely open space - I'm quite jealous!
But....are you just going to leave that spider there??? Just hanging around???? Shocked

of course, look at all the flies she's caught Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 3583224271
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat May 14, 2016 12:15 pm

The camera on my new phone is really good
Just got a couple of snaps of this little fella
This is in Sydney
Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Img_2010
Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Img_2011
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14, 2016 12:39 pm

veya_victaous wrote:The camera on my new phone is really good
Just got a couple of snaps of this little fella
This is in Sydney
Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Img_2010

Froggy!   He's cute.   Love it is Benny finds a frog in the garden, every time they bounce he jumps back in amazement.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:03 am

Echinda pottering around my Yard down at the farm house

this is pretty cool echinda's are pretty rare to see in the wild.
after sitting still for a little while he started to ignore me and go about his ant hunt

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:03 pm

I was sitting here earlier and a Magpie sat on the window ledge, peered in, put his head on oneside then flew off. Seeing him so close was wonderful. They have beautiful colouring. Shame they can be spiteful to small birds.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm

There is something deeply ironic, given my username, about my being plagued by bloody...moles!

I have about 100 yards of road frontage and as soon as I repair one molehill-infested patch the little sods begin mining operations on another.

My lovingly restored 1930s grass-surfaced stable yard looks like the Somme after a bad day; mowing my paddock is like riding a switchback and now the bastards-in-black-velvet are creating runs and mounds all over my lawn - the damage being enthusiastically augmented by my dog who thinks she's helping by trying to dig the enemy out.

And I won't even begin to describe the badger crap pits alongside my drive!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:43 pm

You need Jasper Carrot with his .12 bore, remember that skit on tv?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Idea

@ Fred,

MAYBE you should consider adding a couple of ferrets to your managerie ???
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:47 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Idea

@ Fred,

MAYBE you should consider adding a couple of ferrets to your managerie  ???

To a Yorkshireman ferrets mean only one thing...the "putting a ferret down your trousers" contest at the annual village fete......
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:53 pm

nicko wrote:You need Jasper Carrot with his .12 bore,    remember that skit on tv?

Not only do I remember it (including one of his live performance versions of it, which was even more hilarious) I've actually tried it.

Some years ago, seeing an embryonic molehill beginning to heave in the paddock as I passed by with my 12-bore, I let fly with both barrels - just to make sure.

Result? An area of shot-up turf and no pellet-riddled corpse.

I swear I could hear the little bugger laughing as I poked around in the dirt trying to find his mortal remains.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:16 am

Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Img_2018

got a picture of this Ring-Tail Possum Last night

http://australianmuseum.net.au/common-ringtail-possum
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 am

Lovely. Just what I want to see when I wake up; a dead furry thing.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:27 am

It 'aint dead Eddie, it's just resting !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:15 am

Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 4214183177

There are Brush tailed Possums resident in a garage and trees in a neighbours yard up here...

Some early evenings, I will see one of them leaving their garage and running along the tops of boundary fences..

Ring tail Possums can come down from the bush occasionally, using overhead powerlines to cross roads; sometimes attracted to the smell of honey in bee boxes when stacked in the back yard here (Possums love nectar-filled flowers; and can be attracted to honey or jam placed out on a piece of bread..).        Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 3922118137
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:46 pm

The only thing I can add is a field mouse ran over my OH's head as he was lay under the caravan last Sunday....he screamed. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Syl wrote:The only thing I can add is a field mouse ran over my OH's head as he was lay under the caravan last Sunday....he screamed. Razz

Hahahahahaha. Nothing like the high-pitched scream of a fully grown male being scared of a mouse.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:06 pm

lol!
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:12 pm

it's not dead it's climbing in Bamboo
it has a prehensile tail like a monkey
they are fast and pretty shy

here are some other pics of it
Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Img_2019
Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 Img_2020
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:28 pm

Veya ...you say the ground water is contaminated with heavy metals???

have you considered a reverse osmosis filter OR a berky filter.....

go google for details.....

we have a berky filter so we can use shallow groundwater up at our woodland...takes out bacteria/viruses, heavy metals and agri chemicals....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:30 pm

a reverse osmosis filter will strip everything out (including dissolved oxygen)
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:38 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Veya ...you say the ground water is contaminated with heavy metals???

have you considered a reverse osmosis filter OR a berky filter.....

go google for details.....

we have a berky filter so we can use shallow groundwater up at our woodland...takes out bacteria/viruses, heavy metals and agri chemicals....

Yes I looked into the reverse osmosis filter, it is something i might consider investing in, in the future.
I'll have to check out berky filters.

but there is not 'shallow' ground water. the water in the Bore is still about 5-6 metres down after heavy rain. Neutral

Currently my tanks are full so thats about 40,000L of water Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 2984306523 Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 2984306523 Birds and wildlife where you live  - Page 2 2984306523
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2