NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Police - Long Term Sick Leave

+5
Raggamuffin
Andy
HoratioTarr
nicko
Major
9 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

UK Police - Long Term Sick Leave Empty Re: UK Police - Long Term Sick Leave

Post by nicko Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:55 am

Judging by the sentences handed down by soft hearted judges I would think the ordinary copper, after the effort of catching scumbags, is SICK of it.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:36 am

Stormee wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35965223

Do you believe it to be a scam/ fiddle or mostly genuine?

Mostly genuine.   You have no idea of the shit the police have to deal with.    It's not just about what you see on TV, it's about sudden deaths, cruelty, domestics, having to tell people their loved ones have died horribly, scraping bodies off the road,  attending post mortems, dealing with suicides, holding people while they breathe their last, seeing 21 year old girls who've jumped off high rise buildings and are still alive with their spinal cord hanging out of their arse, seeing burned bodies of kids trapped in burning cars,   moving bodies that have liquefied,  seeing and having to deal with the absolute worst of human behaviour.  It makes you very very cynical and it's very very traumatizing in some cases and highly stressful.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:37 am

Agreed HT.

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:39 am

sassy wrote:Agreed HT.

This is the side of policing most people never see.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Stormee wrote:Cases of UK police officers and staff taking Long-term sick leave for psychological reasons have risen by 35% over the last five years, statistics obtained by BBC Radio 5 live suggest.

Bet a good few are scamming, jumping on the bandwagon espeshully if near retirement..
So you don't actually know then.
Just using your jaundiced , prejudiced anti - left view then.
Your opinion would no doubt be the same for teachers , civil servants and health workers.
Would you hold the same view about bankers, and company directors?
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:19 pm

My question still stands Storm, do you know for sure or are you guessing that a good few are scamming?I would say a very few are - a) it's still a macho profession and being mentally ill or stressed isn't tough, b) it is still a team driven job and coppers do not like letting their colleagues down.
C) if they were found to be shamming, they would never be allowed to forget it.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:27 pm

I didn't approve of that police woman getting compo for "stress" for trying to trap Colin Stagg. She shouldn't have tried to trick him.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:35 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Stormee wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35965223

Do you believe it to be a scam/ fiddle or mostly genuine?

Mostly genuine.   You have no idea of the shit the police have to deal with.    It's not just about what you see on TV, it's about sudden deaths, cruelty, domestics, having to tell people their loved ones have died horribly, scraping bodies off the road,  attending post mortems, dealing with suicides, holding people while they breathe their last, seeing 21 year old girls who've jumped off high rise buildings and are still alive with their spinal cord hanging out of their arse, seeing burned bodies of kids trapped in burning cars,   moving bodies that have liquefied,  seeing and having to deal with the absolute worst of human behaviour.  It makes you very very cynical and it's very very traumatizing in some cases and highly stressful.
Lots of this post sound like first hand experience HT. Every word is true. Police are having to act as social workers , CPNs and far outside what their role should be. With the way things are now it's a wonder more are not off sick.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:48 pm

I agree with HT and Miffs...

having been first on scene at a number of RTA's over the years, a few of which were fatals....I have given first aid where I could and more than once given "last rights" to those who wished

(point ....ANY baptised person can give last rights...and whilst I am now a druid, I figure that if it gives comfort to the dying/potentially dying its worth it...and if THEIR god doesnt want to listen to ME then thats "his" problem)

let me tell you...every time "marks you" in some way......

and these guys deal with it regularly...and worse......

TBH I'm surprised any of them are sane after a couple of years.......

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Lots of this post sound like first hand experience HT. Every word is true. Police are having to act as social workers , CPNs and far outside what their role should be. With the way things are now it's a wonder more are not off sick.

Yes, it is from first hand experience.

For reasons of clarity, the above via someone very close to me.

Last edited by HoratioTarr on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I agree with HT and Miffs...

having been first on scene at a number of RTA's over the years, a few of which were fatals....I have given first aid where I could and more than once given "last rights" to those who wished

(point ....ANY baptised person can give last rights...and whilst I am now a druid, I figure that if it gives comfort to the dying/potentially dying its worth it...and if THEIR god doesnt want to listen to ME then thats "his" problem)

Picture this.

You attend a post mortem of  young girl.   You ask Creepy mortuary attendant  for rings off fingers for the family.   So, he gets out bolt cutters and snips off the ends of her fingers and grinning puts them in a bag then hands them to you.  Just like that.   There's nothing you can do, as she's about to be cremated and you know the guy has done this in order to see you crumble.   You wouldn't believe what goes on in mortuaries.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 pm

Oh I would HT....I know all about morticians "humour"

I'm convinced most of THEM are a "bit gone"

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:59 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:I agree with HT and Miffs...

Picture this.

You attend a post mortem of  young girl.   You ask Creepy mortuary attendant  for rings off fingers for the family.   So, he gets out bolt cutters and snips off the ends of her fingers and grinning puts them in a bag then hands them to you.  Just like that.   There's nothing you can do, as she's about to be cremated and you know the guy has done this in order to see you crumble.   You wouldn't believe what goes on in mortuaries.
He sounds lovely.  pale
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:13 am

Miffs2 wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Spot on both of you.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:33 am

While in the Army I saw all that and worse,the images never leave you! A police man may see horrible sights a couple of times a year,a Soldier in a war situation sees it daily. He can't "throw a sicky"
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:11 am

nicko wrote:While in the Army I saw all that and worse,the images never leave you!   A police man may see horrible sights a couple of times a year,a Soldier in a war situation sees it daily.  He can't "throw a sicky"
You are right Nicko, he can't. One of the reasons why suicide, mental ill health, alcoholism, domestic violence, drug abuse, homelessness and rates of imprisonment are so high among serving and former armed services personnel.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:51 am

They do a really hard job. My friends 16 year old daughter wants to be a police officer, and whilst being really proud of her (she's a lovely girl, real credit to her mum) her mum is worried sick about her chosen profession.....!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:04 am

nicko wrote:While in the Army I saw all that and worse,the images never leave you!   A police man may see horrible sights a couple of times a year,a Soldier in a war situation sees it daily.  He can't "throw a sicky"

They deal with the shittiest of shit every single day if they work in the city centres,  unless they're in the control room, in which case their stress levels are through the roof.   There are the desk jobs, of course, and other sections of the police that don't involve being on the streets every day.  But your average copper on the beat in the cities will deal with this stuff daily.    The community police seem to cop more for things like sudden deaths, suicides, domestic violence, etc.   Working the city streets is the worst, as far as I remember.   At one point our home was under police surveillance due to being targeted as a 'police' house by yobs.  In the end we had to move.   I had to go to bed with a bloody police radio just in case.  That was an eye opener - listening to what was going on all over the city.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:51 am

HoratioTarr wrote:

They deal with the shittiest of shit every single day if they work in the city centres,  unless they're in the control room, in which case their stress levels are through the roof.   There are the desk jobs, of course, and other sections of the police that don't involve being on the streets every day.  But your average copper on the beat in the cities will deal with this stuff daily.    The community police seem to cop more for things like sudden deaths, suicides, domestic violence, etc.   Working the city streets is the worst, as far as I remember.   At one point our home was under police surveillance due to being targeted as a 'police' house by yobs.  In the end we had to move.   I had to go to bed with a bloody police radio just in case.  That was an eye opener - listening to what was going on all over the city.

Who would want to live like that, or wouldn't be affected by it.  I hope you feel a lot safer now than you did then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down