NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When is the last time you....

5 posters

Go down

When is the last time you.... Empty When is the last time you....

Post by Syl Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:09 pm

..took up a new hobby?

I started my latest one today, painting with water colours. When is the last time you.... Painting-smiley-emoticon
Now, I am quite artistic, a good drawer and sketcher, and I have made lots of greeting cards for people who happily pay between £5 and £10 for a hand made card....but I got bored with that.

So painting was my next project....and after buying all the appropriate materials I settled down today to create a masterpiece.

I am crap at it. Sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

When is the last time you.... Empty Re: When is the last time you....

Post by Miffs2 Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Syl wrote:..took up a new hobby?

I started my latest one today, painting with water colours. When is the last time you.... Painting-smiley-emoticon
Now, I am quite artistic, a good drawer and sketcher, and I have made lots of greeting cards for people who happily pay between  £5 and £10 for a  hand made card....but I got bored with that.

So painting was my next project....and after buying all the appropriate materials I settled down today to create a masterpiece.

I am crap at it. Sad

I'm sure you are not! Give yourself a break, it's a different medium you are using. I can't draw a straight line and envy those who can.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:04 pm

You are very  kind Miff, have a 'thanks' for the encouragement Cool . ....but the two paintings I did are in the bin now.

I am going to get some thicker paper and try again though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:30 pm

Practice. Or perhaps you'll fare better with oils?

You should speak to sassy. She paints. She might give you some pointers x
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:34 pm

eddie wrote:Practice. Or perhaps you'll fare better with oils?

I wont give up eddie....I have put my first attempt on my avi.
My OH got it out of the bin and moaned because he said I expected to much to soon.

I did think about oils, and acrylics, but decided to start with water colours, I have not painted since schooldays and thought it would be easier....I don't think it is though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:09 pm

I try new things all the time, my latest is grilling out -- that was a blast!

As for art, I think it's more about finding out what you have the technical skill to do that creates the effect you want. There have been plenty of artists (in visual, music, literature, etc.) who didn't have the greatest technique by far, but they figured out how to do interesting things within their limitations. I mean, Mick Jagger can barely carry a tune!

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:19 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I try new things all the time, my latest is grilling out -- that was a blast!

As for art, I think it's more about finding out what you have the technical skill to do that creates the effect you want. There have been plenty of artists (in visual, music, literature, etc.) who didn't have the greatest technique by far, but they figured out how to do interesting things within their limitations. I mean, Mick Jagger can barely carry a tune!

His singing isn't the best but his interpretation is brilliant....I never liked the Stones when I was younger, I play their stuff a lot now though...specially in the car.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:19 pm

My last hobby/pastime was taking up kayaking.....I love that. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Practice. Or perhaps you'll fare better with oils?

I wont give up eddie....I have put my first attempt on my avi.
My OH got it out of the bin and moaned because he said I expected to much to soon.

I did think about oils, and acrylics, but decided to start with water colours, I have not painted since schooldays and thought it would be easier....I don't think it is though.

Hey! If that was your first attempt you are definitely being hard on yourself!
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 pm

It looks better in miniature Miffs....but thanks I appreciate the encouragement,.
I will pop the other one on soon , a portrait....not sure of who though. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:05 pm

It looks pretty good to me Syl. I used to do watercolours myself. Just experiment with textures and different amounts of water.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:08 pm

Syl wrote:It looks better in miniature Miffs....but thanks I appreciate the encouragement,.
I will pop the other one on soon , a portrait....not sure of who though. Laughing

Your avi is your painting, that's great!   Love to see people expressing themselves and it has depth, really like it.

I actually loathe to paint with watercolours, because of the way you have to work, leaving out the white etc.  I love acrylics, because you work from the base up, layering.  You can also water them down and use like watercolours, or use them like oils.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:34 pm

Stippling and chalk was what I enjoyed the best; and frankly Syl...aren't we all far to critical of our own art work.  I mean I've got sketches from way back in high school that I didn't turn in for grading but now I'm pretty dang amaze that my sketches weren't as horrible as I'd thought. 

If you have the space & or storage - save those; you are aware of those first basic drawings that the masters kept --- look at what they've brought for $$$$.  LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It looks pretty good to me Syl. I used to do watercolours myself. Just experiment with textures and different amounts of water.

Thanks Rags. Why did you stop? For me it's a lot more difficult than I expected. I have watched a few You tubes because I know nothing about water colouring...everyone has different advice so I am just going to do my own thing and see where I go.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:33 pm

sassy wrote:
Syl wrote:It looks better in miniature Miffs....but thanks I appreciate the encouragement,.

Your avi is your painting, that's great!   Love to see people expressing themselves and it has depth, really like it.

I actually loathe to paint with watercolours, because of the way you have to work, leaving out the white etc.  I love acrylics, because you work from the base up, layering.  You can also water them down and use like watercolours, or use them like oils.

Thanks Sassy. I got quite disheartened yesterday because to me it's clumsy and just a mess, I am pleased you can see something else though. Smile

I know exactly what you mean about the adding of lighter colours on a darker background....it doesn't work does it.
My aim was to do a lovely sea scene with white sailing boats bobbing around (I saw a similar painting on holiday and loved it) I now realise that once the blue of the ocean is on paper...I cant paint my sailing boast. When is the last time you.... 2396444674

We live and learn. When is the last time you.... 2984306523
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:37 pm

aspca4ever wrote:Stippling and chalk was what I enjoyed the best; and frankly Syl...aren't we all far to critical of our own art work.  I mean I've got sketches from way back in high school that I didn't turn in for grading but now I'm pretty dang amaze that my sketches weren't as horrible as I'd thought. 

If you have the space & or storage - save those; you are aware of those first basic drawings that the masters kept --- look at what they've brought for $$$$.  LOL

I would love to see some of your early sketches....can you put them up? I cant put my pics on posts but I can manage to get them as avi's.
It must be lovely to look back at your old sketches, I bet they conjure up some good memories to. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Syl wrote:
sassy wrote:

Thanks Sassy. I got quite disheartened yesterday because to me it's clumsy and just a mess, I am pleased you can see something else though. Smile

I know exactly what you mean about the adding of lighter colours on a darker background....it doesn't work does it.
My aim was to do a lovely sea scene with white sailing boats bobbing around (I saw a similar painting on holiday and loved it) I now realise that once the blue of the ocean is on paper...I cant paint my sailing boast. When is the last time you.... 2396444674

We live and learn. When is the last time you.... 2984306523

That's my problem with water colours.  I normally paint nature, although I occasionally do landscapes.  However, I've always steered clear of seascapes, but did my first one a couple of weeks ago.   Not in the least happy with it, but like you, learnt a lot from it:

When is the last time you.... 600733_10153484540867473_123380047828495312_n

The only reason I am keeping it is a measure to see if I can do any better.

This is my normal style:

When is the last time you.... 11082584_10152766643737473_1856642888871118001_n

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Wow Sassy...did you do those?
I would be so proud if I became half as good as you one day.

I have looked at several paintings of poppies over the last few days, yours is as good as any I have seen online.
Love the rolling waves in the sea scene too....you are gifted.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Syl I think your picture is really good! Sassy your seascape thingy is pretty ok too? Don't know why you guys are so hard on yourselves!

I can draw round my hand. I'm not bad at that Neutral

Ps I have been colouring in with my daughter alot recently, and yesterday I happened to have my glasses on and opened up a colouring in book.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I missed bits out!!! How terrible am I? Shocked
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:54 pm

Honestly Syl, if you had seen the ones I did when I started, they were much worse than yours, it's just practice.  If I have a break and go back to it, the first one always gets binned.   You have an added advantage, you can draw, my drawing is rubbish, I only do very simple sketches before I start putting paint on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:56 pm

eddie wrote:Syl I think your picture is really good! Sassy your seascape thingy is pretty ok too? Don't know why you guys are so hard on yourselves!

Ps I have been colouring in with my daughter alot recently, and yesterday I happened to have my glasses on and opened up a colouring in book.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Glasses help lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:59 pm

eddie wrote:Syl I think your picture is really good! Sassy your seascape thingy is pretty ok too? Don't know why you guys are so hard on yourselves!

Laughing
Top tip....do housework without wearing glasses....the house is spotless in no time. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:05 pm

sassy wrote:Honestly Syl, if you had seen the ones I did when I started, they were much worse than yours, it's just practice.  If I have a break and go back to it, the first one always gets binned.   You have an added advantage, you can draw, my drawing is rubbish, I only do very simple sketches before I start putting paint on.

I think it's probably like people say....we are too critical of our own stuff. I'm glad I put this up because other peoples opinions give confidence to carry on. (OH's don't count because they say anything for a quiet life Laughing )
This was my second attempt yesterday....the drawing was OK, the painting ruined it though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Well, you definitely know about perspective etc and if that was only your second, it's really good, so keep going.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Syl the glasses/housework tip works a treat on looking the mirror too lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:06 pm

Syl wrote:
aspca4ever wrote:Stippling and chalk was what I enjoyed the best; and frankly Syl...aren't we all far to critical of our own art work.  I mean I've got sketches from way back in high school that I didn't turn in for grading but now I'm pretty dang amaze that my sketches weren't as horrible as I'd thought. 

I would love to see some of your early sketches....can you put them up?  I cant put my pics on posts but I can manage to get them as avi's.
It must be lovely to look back at your old sketches, I bet they conjure up some good memories to. Cool

That tub of art work {both mine and my sons} was relocated to the garage...as with lots of my book collection, I'll need a strong helper dude to get them back down---moms stuff needed all that area!

But your ability to do facial features is eons beyond my ability---I just never could get that nose/mouth/eye ratio correct...EVER. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:23 pm

eddie wrote:Syl the glasses/housework tip works a treat on looking the mirror too lol!

Lol....another tip, don't buy one of those 8xmagnified make up mirrors.....they are bad for the ego. Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:26 pm

aspca4ever wrote:
Syl wrote:

I would love to see some of your early sketches....can you put them up?  I cant put my pics on posts but I can manage to get them as avi's.

That tub of art work {both mine and my sons} was relocated to the garage...as with lots of my book collection, I'll need a strong helper dude to get them back down---moms stuff needed all that area!  

But your ability to do facial features is eons beyond my ability---I just never could get that nose/mouth/eye ratio correct...EVER.  No

Oh well, at least you have kept them. It's interesting to see how much our styles change over the years. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Syl the glasses/housework tip works a treat on looking the mirror too lol!

Lol....another tip, don't buy one of those 8xmagnified make up mirrors.....they are bad for the ego. Shocked

Aren't they just??? Sad
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down