NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene

2 posters

Go down

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Empty Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Gay-kiss-Eastenders-cropped

The decision of Eastenders to broadcast a scene with two male characters kissing generated a predicable torrent of homophobic abuse from a small mindless minority on Twitter.
A new storyline which sees Johnny Carter (played by Sam Strike) and Danny Pennant (played by Gary Lucy) kiss in Walford Square attracted numerous homophobic tweets on New Year’s Eve.
Some users on Twitter even called for the characters to be killed, whilst others said they would stop watching the soap if the storyline continued.

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Eastenders-screen-grab

The BBC confirmed to PinkNews only two complaints were made about the kiss out of 7.4 million viewers.
The corporation said the decision to broadcast Eastenders at the later time of 9.30pm was not because of the kiss scene.
A spokeswoman said the show was only pushed back because it followed Shrek Forever After in the schedule and had nothing to do with the content.
“EastEnders aims to reflect real life, and this means including and telling stories about characters from many different backgrounds, faiths, religions and sexualities,” she added.
“We approach our portrayal of homosexual relationships in exactly the same way as we do heterosexual relationships; ensuring depictions of affection or sexuality between couples are suitable for pre-watershed viewing.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/02/homophobic-twitter-trolls-blast-eastenders-for-featuring-same-sex-kiss-scene/

cheers cheers cheers  These neanderthals are really dying out now!

Back to top Go down

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Empty Re: Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Catman wrote:Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Gay-kiss-Eastenders-cropped

The decision of Eastenders to broadcast a scene with two male characters kissing generated a predicable torrent of homophobic abuse from a small mindless minority on Twitter.
A new storyline which sees Johnny Carter (played by Sam Strike) and Danny Pennant (played by Gary Lucy) kiss in Walford Square attracted numerous homophobic tweets on New Year’s Eve.
Some users on Twitter even called for the characters to be killed, whilst others said they would stop watching the soap if the storyline continued.

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Eastenders-screen-grab

The BBC confirmed to PinkNews only two complaints were made about the kiss out of 7.4 million viewers.
The corporation said the decision to broadcast Eastenders at the later time of 9.30pm was not because of the kiss scene.
A spokeswoman said the show was only pushed back because it followed Shrek Forever After in the schedule and had nothing to do with the content.
“EastEnders aims to reflect real life, and this means including and telling stories about characters from many different backgrounds, faiths, religions and sexualities,” she added.
“We approach our portrayal of homosexual relationships in exactly the same way as we do heterosexual relationships; ensuring depictions of affection or sexuality between couples are suitable for pre-watershed viewing.”

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/02/homophobic-twitter-trolls-blast-eastenders-for-featuring-same-sex-kiss-scene/

cheers cheers cheers   These neanderthals are really dying out now!

Gay storylines do not suit their black gangsta outlook on life Mr Catman.

But as you say, it is a drop in the ocean - I think gays are very much accepted in the UK.

Back to top Go down

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Empty Re: Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:38 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Catman wrote:Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Gay-kiss-Eastenders-cropped

cheers cheers cheers   These neanderthals are really dying out now!

Gay storylines do not suit their black gangsta outlook on life Mr Catman.

But as you say, it is a drop in the ocean - I think gays are very much accepted in the UK.

Don't tar every black person with the same brush, people might label you as a racist  Rolling Eyes 

That saying...Gay people haven't been portrayed on Eastenders for a little while now, though this is a Bi-Sexual story line i think, will be interesting to follow...

Back to top Go down

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Empty EastEnders star Danny Dyer’s response to homophobic viewers is just brilliant

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:11 pm

After Danny Dyer’s on-screen son came out to him on the BBC last night, the EastEnders star took to Twitter to respond to homophobic tweets.

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Dyerattitude

Dyer, who posed for the front cover of gay magazine Attitude (above) some years ago, plays new character Mick. Last night’s episode saw his son Johnny Carter, played by Sam Strike, came out.

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene BdF5j-3IUAE__1e

Laughing cheers cheers cheers 

The episode featuring character Johnny’s first gay kiss generated a torrent of homophobic abuse from a minority on Twitter.
The BBC told PinkNews that only 2 complaints were made about the kiss out of approximately 7.9 million viewers.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/04/eastenders-star-danny-dyers-response-to-homophobic-viewers-is-just-brilliant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Homophobic abuse on twitter, or people saying they don't want to see that kind of thing?

2 complaints - so there you go, as I have been saying for years Mr Catman - no need for all the protests, riots and abuse at normal people - they are very accepting, in fact, they just don't care.

Hooray   cheers

edit: as for Mr Dyer - I'm glad he's making a ton of money lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:28 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:Homophobic abuse on twitter, or people saying they don't want to see that kind of thing?

2 complaints - so there you go, as I have been saying for years Mr Catman - no need for all the protests, riots and abuse at normal people - they are very accepting, in fact, they just don't care.

Hooray   cheers

edit:  as for Mr Dyer - I'm glad he's making a ton of money lol

The homophobic tweets have been published as part of the OP, they are indeed very homophobic and i hope that the police are tracking down the culprits to arrest them.

There were only two complains to the program which is excellent news, but people are stilll being attacked for their sexuality and until that stops there will always be a need for Gay Pride marches, i would suggest that far right marches and protests should be stopped because they spread hatred and they are on every other week and are a waste of public funds as well.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 pm

I must say that last nights episode was very well acted by Sam Strike and congratulations to the script writers on the way that this story line is being executed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Catman wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:Homophobic abuse on twitter, or people saying they don't want to see that kind of thing?

Hooray   cheers

edit:  as for Mr Dyer - I'm glad he's making a ton of money lol

The homophobic tweets have been published as part of the OP, they are indeed very homophobic and i hope that the police are tracking down the culprits to arrest them.

There were only two complains to the program which is excellent news, but people are stilll being attacked for their sexuality and until that stops there will always be a need for Gay Pride marches, i would suggest that far right marches and protests should be stopped because they spread hatred and they are on every other week and are a waste of public funds as well.

Ok, read the tweets - nothing to arrest them for there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:42 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Catman wrote:

Not according to you but the law thinks differently thank gawd!  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:49 pm

People tend to be frightened of things they don't understand, and they react to that fear by trying to push the thing that scares them so badly out of the mainstream. The internet is also quickly becoming a culture of nastiness and rude speech and makes some people feel more secure in saying how they really feel -- like the Hunger Games fans on Twitter who said that they cared less about the deaths of the black characters:

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Ku-medium

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:39 pm

Catman wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Explain where there is an offence.

Tell me the offence.

I'm quite positive no law is being broken.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:53 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Catman wrote:

Tell me the offence.

The communications act..The one that they are using all the time now to shut down racist and homophobic knobs!  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Catman wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Tell me the offence.

The communications act..The one that they are using all the time now to shut down racist and homophobic knobs!  cheers 

But tell me where they have committed an offence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Catman wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:People tend to be frightened of things they don't understand, and they react to that fear by trying to push the thing that scares them so badly out of the mainstream. The internet is also quickly becoming a culture of nastiness and rude speech and makes some people feel more secure in saying how they really feel -- like the Hunger Games fans on Twitter who said that they cared less about the deaths of the black characters:

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Ku-medium

http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

Sick bastards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Catman wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Correct - they haven't.

A perfect example for Quill of people "taking the p155".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:04 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Catman wrote:

Correct - they haven't.

A perfect example for Quill of people "taking the p155".

The law says different.  :D 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:21 pm

You can come out of the closet Andy and say 'people taking the piss', Ben won't mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Sassy wrote:You can come out of the closet Andy and say 'people taking the piss', Ben won't mind.

You can say 'piss' on here as well....When was that ever a swear word anyway  Laughing  Must be in Flap mode or something!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm gonna do an Andy:

lol

Back to top Go down

Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene Empty Eastenders star Gary Lucy slams gay kiss complaints: ‘Get with the times!’

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:11 am

Eastenders actor Gary Lucy has hit back at those who complained about a gay kiss scene in an episode last week, and said that the scene inspired someone to come out to their parents.
Lucy plays Danny Pennant in Eastenders, a bisexual character who two weeks ago shared a kiss with newcomer Johnny Carter.
Carter later went on to tell his father Mick, played by Danny Dyer, that he is gay in an emotional scene.
The episode featuring character Johnny’s first gay kiss generated a torrent of homophobic abuse from a minority on Twitter.
The BBC told PinkNews that only 2 complaints were made about the kiss out of approximately 7.9 million viewers.
Speaking to the Sun on those who may have complained, Lucy said: “I think, ‘Get with the times!’
He said that the “reaction was, on the most part, positive. There were a few on Twitter still living in the dark ages but on the whole, people were okay.”
Continuing he said that he received a message from a man who said that he was inspired to come out after seeing the storyline.
“I got one message on the internet from a guy saying, ‘Thanks for that storyline because it gave me the courage to come out and tell my parents’. If you can do that, you as an actor and the show has done its job.”
Danny Dyer, a newcomer to Albert Square, and the new on-screen landlord of the famed Queen Vic’ pub, took to Twitter earlier this week to combat those sending homophobic abuse.
He tweeted: “Here’s a little message for some of the homophobic pricks who are tweeting me……..happy new year”, along with a detailed instruction for where the Twitter users should put their opinions.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/10/eastenders-star-gary-lucy-slams-gay-kiss-complaints-get-with-the-times/

cheers cheers cheers 

Back to top Go down