NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you

5 posters

Go down

Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you Empty Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:46 pm

A simple new map lets you search how common your surname is in different parts of the UK and could even reveal where your family originates from. Named has been developed by geographers at the University College London as part of research into surnames and geographical locations.
Users simply type their name into this website, with the results of where your name is unusually prevalent shown in a heat map.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12179590/Named-Where-does-your-surname-come-from-Search-now.html

Some fun for everyone

Here is the site

http://named.publicprofiler.org/

Back to top Go down

Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you Empty Re: Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:08 pm

Interesting! My surname is most common in Belfast, followed by London, York and the coast of Wales.

On the world map version, the highest concentration is in Ireland, particularly the midwestern part around Limerick up to Galway.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you Empty Re: Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:38 pm

I can't get that site to work.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Interesting! My surname is most common in Belfast, followed by London, York and the coast of Wales.

On the world map version, the highest concentration is in Ireland, particularly the midwestern part around Limerick up to Galway.
this is mine
Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you Untitl10

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:47 pm

@raggs I can't either

@KD doesn't yours come from Dallas? lol!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Where does your surname come from? This simple search could tell you Untitl11

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:53 pm

I meant becasue your name is Korben Dallas??
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:53 pm

eddie wrote:@raggs I can't either

@KD doesn't yours come from Dallas? lol!
Eh!?

...................DOH!! penny just dropped cheers lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:54 pm

eddie wrote:I meant becasue your name is Korben Dallas??
i got it eventually :-)  took a second

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I can't get that site to work.

I had the same trouble to start, but its just busy I guess, keep trying

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:56 pm

korban dallas wrote:
eddie wrote:I meant becasue your name is Korben Dallas??
i got it eventually :-)  took a second

I forgive you Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:56 pm

interestingly Ben and i have a high concentration in Ireland in the same area

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:57 pm

It doesn't work on my iPad for some reason
Stupid bloody iPad
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I can't get that site to work.

I had the same trouble to start, but its just busy I guess, keep trying
it`s same in all browsers very slow. just give it time and if you get error just try again i tried 5 times to get a picture of bens name

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:53 pm

aaaaaaannd

......Its bullshit Rolling Eyes

as these sites most often are

It cant even give a true origin for my surname...
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Lord Foul wrote:aaaaaaannd

Ahhh but that is because we have not discovered that planet yet Victor

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:57 pm

lol alien

beep neep
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Lord Foul wrote:lol alien

beep neep

It got mine wrong on the world map also, placing my surname in London/Essex/Kent....??????

scratch

None of my family have ever lived in Essex, let alone its a foreign surname

Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:03 pm

Didge wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:aaaaaaannd

Ahhh but that is because we have not discovered that planet yet Victor

Laughing
alien  that was funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:07 pm

Not sure about the Irish bit  but the rest is pretty spot on especially the dark bit at the borders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down