NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funeral Costs

+3
HoratioTarr
Raggamuffin
Major
7 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Funeral Costs Empty Re: Funeral Costs

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Funeral costs vary a lot, so you can spend £9,000 if you want to. If you don't, you don't have to.

I don't know about the second scenario. I don't think anyone is obliged by law to pay for a funeral even if they have money, but if it was paid for from public money, if there's any money in the estate of the deceased person, they could probably get it back. Dunno really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Funeral costs vary a lot, so you can spend £9,000 if you want to. If you don't, you don't have to.

I don't know about the second scenario. I don't think anyone is obliged by law to pay for a funeral even if they have money, but if it was paid for from public money, if there's any money in the estate of the deceased person, they could probably get it back. Dunno really.

Legally you don't need a funeral director, coffin or a hearse. You can stick someone in a shroud in the back of your van and take 'em to the crem that way.   That would probably save a grand.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:06 pm

I don't know about pension credits but I know funeral costs can vary enormously.

I have only arranged one funeral and the funeral director was brilliant, but I know some are not so good.
When a person is grieving and in shock, cost is not at the forefront of their minds, and funeral arrangers are in business....so they make money.
I have heard people say they have experience of funeral directors who will open the catalogue at the pages showing expensive caskets, murmuring phrases like "this one is very popular" ...which imo is not really fair.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:55 pm

This Burial Process varies from region to region {globally} and from state to state and even some of our small counties here in the United State's.

It's become the '#1 consistent job market' for anyone wanting a For Sure Career; Morticians live a prosperous life but get called out at all hours of the day & night.
Can't speak to your specific region/country, Stormee but it certainly won't hurt to inquire - make pre-arrangements - always plan ahead so your remains and family know exactly what your wishes are.
Had a former rodeo buddy hand make his fathers coffins - they even took before and during photo's of his dad watching/coaching and trying on that old-time-western burial box of size & fit. But when it came time for the top to be hand carved and this ole' timer requested a clear glass insert to be set right over his facial area --- well that ran into a serious legal snag and lots of trips to the local authorities and then onto the state for 'special permit' just to finish the coffin's hand tooled/carved lid with insets for his 3 PRCA World Champion Belt Buckles and that infamous glass panel for his fathers face! All because that silly ole' coot said - "I want to see the stars from where I'll be"...even though he knew he'd be 6' down in the dirt and DEAD too.
He demanded to be buried 'AS IS'...didn't want to be embalmed but that wasn't given the 'OK' by any state official --- embalming is a state regulated matter and he was put through the process as with everyone else - unless that's not possible and then it's a hermetically sealed metal casket and NO VIEWING prior to burial day.
But that ole' friend had a grave side service and the only cost to his dear wife was the $600. that the mortician charged her for the embalming fee...her boys did all of the body transport - digging the burial plot and lowering the coffin into the hole and filling it up. They all helped supply the specific wood/labor that went into making his coffin to specifications and specific water proofing stain and the detail hand carved top adorned with his PRCA buckles.
My mothers own Pre-Paid Cremation cost $2,500 {2014} and my own husbands Cremation in 1997 was $1,500...both of those included the transportation to & from our homes and postage to send me the ashes.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:28 pm

In the UK if you're married, you get £2,000 (approx) toward your funeral costs.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Stormee wrote:I do not want a fancy funeral, tiz not about money.
I wanna be taken to the crem in a hearse if the lads trucks are busy, joke, honest.
Taken in a hearse, any followers to go in their own transport, no service, prayer or anything, straight to the fire, do the necessary, everyone go home or the pub and get on with their lives, this is my choice, which is yours???????????????????

PS scatter my ashes in the surrounding woodland which I love.

That's nice Stormee.
My mums ashes are buried under a lovely flowering bush in the back garden...she never saw it flower, but when it does it's her and my favourite colour.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Stormee wrote:
Syl wrote:

That's nice Stormee.
My mums ashes are buried under a lovely flowering bush in the back garden...she never saw it flower, but when it does it's her and my favourite colour.

No doubt she will love it, Syl.

Thank you. x

She would have appreciated what my grandson said when we buried her ashes, (she had a great sense of humour)
He was 12, and the day we prepared where her ashes were to go we asked him if he would like to put some of them in the hole we had prepared....he just said ... "is this normal?"
I suppose you had to be there, but the way he said it made the sad day seem better.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:05 am

Stormee wrote:We have insurances which will cover it.

I was told yesterday that people receiving pension credit, whatever that is, will be buried without charge unless there is money from the deceased estate.
i think you only get cremated not buried if you have to rely on state funds ie No estate or insurance (cheaper )
but to be honest i think the state should bury/cremate  everybody and only if you want all the extras you have to pay for them your self on top of what the state pays

https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/eligibility

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:09 am

they can chuck me on the compost heap when i'm done and gone.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:10 am

But having said that...doubtless they will burn me for the pagan I am Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:52 pm

Lord Foul wrote:But having said that...doubtless they will burn me for the pagan I am Laughing

Bound to lol, that staff will make it burn brighter Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Here in America the dying are supposed to receive $250. towards a burial cost and if your a Veteran a bronze plaque for your head stone marker!

Funeral Costs 2787774761  $250 won't barely cover the cost to transport to the funeral home and those bronze plaques have become a most often STOLEN item from cemeteries because the cost for that metal has sky-rocketed and it has a higher value now per weight.

A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements.
Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when he or she died. If they were living apart, the surviving spouse can still receive the lump-sum if, during the month the worker died, he or she:

• was already receiving benefits on the worker's record; or
  • became eligible for benefits upon the worker's death.

We never received those funds for my fathers passing {circa 1981} nor did I when mother passed in 2014.  I did find out that the amount was increased by $5. in 2000 but it still wasn't awarded to my mother or me when she passed. 

Cremation was a 'pre-paid' service that cost us $2,800 --- and the funeral home still demanded an extra $1,100...'due to cost over runs since the policy was made and paid in full' --- I had to challenge them about that and got our Attorney General involved too. 

Seems that Mortuary Company had been gouging families for over 10 years using that same BS method of trying to claim 'Cost Over Runs' from the date that the Pre-Paid Cremation had been paid off. And none of our 'Pre-Paid Cremation Policies' had been placed in a interest bearing account as it was legally mandated by the State of KS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:25 pm

You are in enough pain when someone dies without people trying to rip you off!

A very basic funeral here is at least £3,500 and rising rapidly.  It's ridiculous and many, many people don't have that kind of money.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:52 pm

sassy wrote:You are in enough pain when someone dies without people trying to rip you off!

A very basic funeral here is at least £3,500 and rising rapidly.  It's ridiculous and many, many people don't have that kind of money.

I would tell you the entire horror of this most recent event but due to the forum stalkers I'll wave off that and just simply state: there are good hearted people in the funeral service/mortuary business and then there are the ever present cretins that will become aware of how to STICK IT TO GRIEVING FAMILES when they are so very vulnerable and exposed to sick & twisted that prey off of the mourning family members!

Rather unfortunate for the Mortuary that tried to shaft me for my mothers cremation; I'd been down that road dealing with my fathers - 1981 and then my husbands in 1998!  The first time I stepped back and allowed my mother to be taken advantage of because it was my dad's service and she just became GUILT driven to do what she thought he'd wanted.  Pfffft --- my dad had always stated {loudly & proudly}: cremate me - take my ashes out to my nearest favorite fishing hole and sprinkle them around!  That's not what happened. Rolling Eyes 

And I didn't allow the money grubbers that took care of my husbands remains to goad/guilt/shame me into doing what would net them a hefty profit --- Nope, that didn't happen!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Good for you, it's a time when it's very easy to give in because coping with everything is so difficult, it takes strength to stick to your guns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:11 pm

I imagine the cost of a funeral now could easily put many people in debt.
Also when burying a loved one many people don't want a budget funeral because they think it may disrespect the person they are burying.

Personally, as long as I get some nice flowers they can be placed atop a cardboard box for al I will care.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:56 pm

10 Facts Funeral Directors May Not Tell You
By Terry Sheridan Published April 11, 2013
No one wants to even think about a funeral, let alone plan one. But working things out in advance and buying life insurance to cover the costs protects family members from the unpleasant job of negotiating services as they grieve for a loved one.

The average cost of a traditional funeral, including embalming and a metal casket, is almost $6,600, according to the most recent data from the National Funeral Directors Association. Cemetery services, including the gravesite and vault or liner, can cost an additional $3,000, says Joshua Slocum, executive director of the Funeral Consumers Alliance.
Funeral directors say you don't want to skimp because funerals aren't just about the deceased. The ritual involved in burying a loved one provides support and healing to the family, they say.
But consumer advocates caution that this is how funeral directors make a living. "When you hear the 'value of a funeral,' you're hearing the recitation of the business mantra," Slocum says.
Follow these tips to know your rights, and avoid overpaying for a funeral.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2013/04/11/10-facts-funeral-directors-may-not-tell.html

Buyer Beware: and some faiths &/or churches have their own specific issues regarding cremation and types of caskets too.

There once was a time when the RCC didn't allow for the deceased to be cremated prior to the funeral service; so that meant that the grieving family had to purchase a casket and have the service {open or closed casket} and then purchase the type that would be allowed into the crematorium for the final stages of cremation!  That was what the St. Guadalupe Catholic Church did to us when we had to bury my dear older sister!  Then 5 years later the rules were changed and the Catholics were allowed to pre-cremate and then have the funeral service within those church walls! 

It's just all a huge money grabbing racket and there's a guaranteed career choice for sure! No

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:13 pm

https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/eligibility

here it is totally private. It also varies from state to state. Here I would strongly advise people to take out funeral insurance or pre-buy your plot and/or cremation. Friend just went through the absolute basics last year for her husband and it was still $1500.

http://www.us-funerals.com/funeral-articles/indigent-burials-and-cremations.html#.VuH_V0CHirs
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:31 pm

one things for sure....it aint a dying trade.....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:33 pm

Cass wrote:https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/eligibility

here it is totally private. It also varies from state to state. Here I would strongly advise people to take out funeral insurance or pre-buy your plot and/or cremation. Friend just went through the absolute basics last year for her husband and it was still $1500.

http://www.us-funerals.com/funeral-articles/indigent-burials-and-cremations.html#.VuH_V0CHirs

Excellent advice, Cass; that way you've stated clearly what you want done - what you expect the grieving loved one to do for you per your request and it solves so many really horrid decisions that people try to make when their minds and hearts aren't thinking clearly! 

I'm still getting "I'm Pissed Messages from my dear departed father" Funeral Costs 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:34 pm

My Dad, who is a totally control freak, has already planned and paid for his funeral, down to who is going to make speeches and what he wants them to say!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:35 pm

Lord Foul wrote:one things for sure....it aint a dying trade.....

Oh dear ... Surprised
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:39 pm

sassy wrote:My Dad, who is a totally control freak, has already planned and paid for his funeral, down to who is going to make speeches and what he wants them to say!!!!!!!

same with my mum and my grandfather....my grandmother and stepfather had done the same but there are still lots of things to plan and get done and deal with.

The legal side of things is a MASSIVE headache and just what people don't need at this horrible time but it has to be done. If you can offload any of this on to a relative or close friend it does help.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:40 pm

you may groan as you see fit Laughing

even I thought that was terrible....

but I couldnt resist.......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:41 pm

you have PM ragga.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:41 pm

Cass wrote:
sassy wrote:My Dad, who is a totally control freak, has already planned and paid for his funeral, down to who is going to make speeches and what he wants them to say!!!!!!!

same with my mum and my grandfather....my grandmother and stepfather had done the same but there are still lots of things to plan and get done and deal with.

The legal side of things is a MASSIVE headache and just what people don't need at this horrible time but it has to be done. If you can offload any of this on to a relative or close friend it does help.

My brother and I are both executors of his will, and my brother is a rock, so that will help when the time comes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Was he a 'MILITARY' man by any stretch of the imagination? 

Funeral Costs Bravo-clapping-smiley-emoticon Your Father ROCKS~~~   BTW - has he asked the people making the eulogy to drop by and practice in front of him, yet?  Shocked  

That would be something my dear ole' pops would have done --- had he had the time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:44 pm

aspca4ever wrote:

Was he a 'MILITARY' man by any stretch of the imagination? 

Funeral Costs Bravo-clapping-smiley-emoticon Your Father ROCKS~~~   BTW - has he asked the people making the eulogy to drop by and practice in front of him, yet?  Shocked  

That would be something my dear ole' pops would have done --- had he had the time!

Spot on, ex Wing Commander in RAF, got OBE for setting up radar systems around UK and was Mayor of Kings Lynn a long time ago.  Well, he hasn't had them practice, but he has sent them the speeches lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 pm

Funeral Costs Facepalm-smiley-emoticon  OMG...you and my pops --- same grave yard humor!

When we would travel and as we neared a cemetery, my dad would holler out --- 'how many dead people can you count in that cemetery, QUICK...cause I'm not stopping'; and all six of us would start calling out numbers...the as we got on past it dad would say --- 'Well, how many?' 
We shout out numbers and he'd laugh and laugh, then he'd say:
 'Aren't they ALL DEAD?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:52 pm

aspca4ever wrote:

Funeral Costs Facepalm-smiley-emoticon  OMG...you and my pops --- same grave yard humor!

When we would travel and as we neared a cemetery, my dad would holler out --- 'how many dead people can you count in that cemetery, QUICK...cause I'm not stopping'; and all six of us would start calling out numbers...the as we got on past it dad would say --- 'Well, how many?' 
We shout out numbers and he'd laugh and laugh, then he'd say:
 'Aren't they ALL DEAD?'

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down