NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

China outraged at US warship sales to Taiwan

+2
Eilzel
nicko
6 posters

Go down

China outraged at US warship sales to Taiwan  Empty China outraged at US warship sales to Taiwan

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:57 pm

American envoy called in to explain his country’s agreement with Taipei to supply weapons, missiles and vehicles in deal worth nearly $2bn

China has summoned a US diplomat based in Beijing, in order to protest against Washington’s sale of warships to Taiwan as part of a $1.8bn (£1.2bn) arms package.

Taipei will get an array of missiles, amphibious assault vehicles and two frigates in the latest deal, which comes as the US looks to shore up its Asian friends and allies, in the face of growing Chinese assertiveness.

“China staunchly opposes America’s sale of arms to Taiwan,” a statement from the country’s foreign affairs ministry said, as the US charge d’affaires, Kaye Lee, was called in for a dressing down.

It said Beijing would impose sanctions on any companies involved in the sale, and urged Washington to cancel the deal to “avoid causing further damage to Sino-US relations”.

Although it has been governed separately since the end of a civil war in 1949, China considers Taiwan a renegade province awaiting reunification. It regularly lashes out at Washington and other powers for their dealings with Taipei, which it labels as interference in Chinese domestic affairs.

The US weapons sale – the first to Taiwan in four years – comes at an increasingly febrile time in east Asia, where China’s aggressive position on territorial disputes with its neighbours has raised anxiety levels in the US and among allies from Japan to the Philippines.

Beijing is building islands with military-grade airstrips in the South China Sea, part of what observers say is an attempt to assert control over almost the whole of the body of water. Several countries – along with Taiwan – also claim parts of the sea.

The US and its allies have carried out high-profile flyovers of the sea, nearing the artificial islands, in what they say are routine “freedom of navigation” exercises in international waters. Beijing says they are provocations and infringements of Chinese sovereignty.

In their meeting on Wednesday, the vice-foreign minister, Zheng Zeguang, told Lee the weapons deal “severely goes against international law and the basic norms of international relations”, adding that it “severely harms China’s sovereignty and security interests”.

“US companies’ involvement in arms sales with Taiwan constitutes a severe infringement of China’s sovereignty and security interests”, foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said during a regular press briefing, adding that “the Chinese government and companies will not conduct cooperation of business with those kinds of companies”.

Washington, which is bound by domestic laws to supply defence materials to Taiwan, played down the impact of the agreement. A State Department spokesman, John Kirby, said the deal was in keeping with long-held American policy and would not affect relations with Beijing.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/17/china-outraged-at-us-warship-sales-to-taiwan

Thats all the world needs, more arms sales and the USA and China having a face-off.

Back to top Go down

China outraged at US warship sales to Taiwan  Empty Re: China outraged at US warship sales to Taiwan

Post by nicko Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Different subject, but mentioning China when are we going to ban the crap and dangerous toys they send over here?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

China outraged at US warship sales to Taiwan  Empty Re: China outraged at US warship sales to Taiwan

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:13 pm

But Osborne and Cameron think China is wonderful and are trying their best to sell everything we own to them and buy everything they sell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Between the ongoing tensions in Korea, the islands claimed by Japan and China and border/territory disputes in the South China sea- this is the region that needs watching closely as a possible powder keg that could trigger a major military crisis. The middle east is a sideshow by comparison. There is lot to be compared in the Far East right now with Europe in 1914.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Agree Les, find it quite scary at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Don't say you find it scary - the "coward police" on this forum will be onto you. Surprised
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Eilzel wrote:Between the ongoing tensions in Korea, the islands claimed by Japan and China and border/territory disputes in the South China sea- this is the region that needs watching closely as a possible powder keg that could trigger a major military crisis. The middle east is a sideshow by comparison. There is lot to be compared in the Far East right now with Europe in 1914.

Yep. I think that's what is behind it all.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Don't say you find it scary - the "coward police" on this forum will be onto you. Surprised

No, they could be on to me if I stopped leading my life because of it.  I don't.  I didn't when we thought nucleur bombs were going to go off over Cuba either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:34 am

Quill, the rise of China as a power and America's moves to contain the problem by strengthening ties with its allies reminds me of the Britain's attempts to contain Germany. It is pretty chilling that as in 1914 there is this a heavy build up of power in one region where no one expects or wants an actual war but the shadow is growing ever darker.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:51 am

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Don't say you find it scary - the "coward police" on this forum will be onto you. Surprised

No, they could be on to me if I stopped leading my life because of it.  I don't.  I didn't when we thought nucleur bombs were going to go off over Cuba either.

Remember that with Cuba as the world held it's breath. It looked really bad but the Soviets backed down and turned their ships around.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:56 am

Irn Bru wrote:
sassy wrote:

Remember that with Cuba as the world held it's breath. It looked really bad but the Soviets backed down and turned their ships around.

I was at boarding school.  It was all we talked about, between lessons, at night, during games etc and spent the time we had off huddled round my transistor radio.  But we still had to do our homework lol.   Much, much scarier than now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:02 am

I'd started work in an apprenticeship and thought what's the point - were all going up in a puff of nuclear dust.

It was really serious
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:04 am

I don't think anyone who wasn't alive then could understand that, it wasn't a fear just for yourself, we really thought it was going to be the end of the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 am

sassy wrote:I don't think anyone who wasn't alive then could understand that, it wasn't a fear just for yourself, we really thought it was going to be the end of the world.

True. Anyway I'm off as things to do tomorrow and people to see.

Catch you all later
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:09 am

I'm off too, catch you tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:37 am

Eilzel wrote:Quill, the rise of China as a power and America's moves to contain the problem by strengthening ties with its allies reminds me of the Britain's attempts to contain Germany. It is pretty chilling that as in 1914 there is this a heavy build up of power in one region where no one expects or wants an actual war but the shadow is growing ever darker.

Agree,

Hopefully the USA see's sense and backs off.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:48 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Quill, the rise of China as a power and America's moves to contain the problem by strengthening ties with its allies reminds me of the Britain's attempts to contain Germany. It is pretty chilling that as in 1914 there is this a heavy build up of power in one region where no one expects or wants an actual war but the shadow is growing ever darker.

Agree,

Hopefully the USA see's sense and backs off.

Who are you talking about?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:49 am

I don't know, leaving the other far east Asian nations to it against a powerful and assertive China would be pretty callous and almost a betrayal after years of being allies.

And as this story makes clear, America is happy to arm nations on that surround China. America won't stay out of anything- and I hope they wouldn't, for the sake of people in South Korea, Taiwan, Japan and the Philippines.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:56 am

Eilzel wrote:I don't know, leaving the other far east Asian nations to it against a powerful and assertive China would be pretty callous and almost a betrayal after years of being allies.

And as this story makes clear, America is happy to arm nations on that surround China. America won't stay out of anything- and I hope they wouldn't, for the sake of people in South Korea, Taiwan, Japan and the Philippines.  

the last thing the region needs is to be the seat of the huge war that would be USA versus China

The USA couldn't stop China without nukes and China has nukes too

Arming the surrounding nations in no different than Russia arming Cuba

the thing is China may well be the lesser of the 2 evils anyway. Neutral

Ultimately if the US interferes there will be a massive death toll No

Last edited by veya_victaous on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:33 am

Doubt the US is going to get involved anywhere.  Unless Trump gets into office.  The US is all done with wars for the time being...at least, for this generation.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:17 am

And yet Quill, the US arms the nations in the region; why?

And veya, imagine you are a leader of Taiwan or Japan or the Philippines. China is constantly encroaching on what you consider your nation's territory. Do you give endless concessions to the greater power, or do you look to your powerful ally for assistance?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:15 am

What the fcuk has it to do with China who the USA sells arms to? The Chinese sell arms to North Korea and one and three other countries as well.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:44 am

Because China feels like the US is doing it as a part of a policy of containment, and stopping China flexing is muscles (while China of course sees its claims as entirely just and fair).

I'm not taking sides, but I see both povs and how easily this kind of situation has developed in the past.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Eilzel wrote:And yet Quill, the US arms the nations in the region; why?

I haven't seen any proof of that. That these nations purchase US arms...well, it's a free market.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 am

I'm sure China see it that way Wink
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Eilzel wrote:I'm sure China see it that way Wink

Quite, and of course America never sells arms to some nations to keep other nations under the thumb do they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:26 am

America always intends to act in its own best interests. So does Britain. Nothing new here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:58 am

We know. The point is that those interests can lead to conflict.

Would the USA just sit and watch if China decided to expand across the whole of Far East Asia?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down