NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ada Lovelace born in London

2 posters

Go down

Ada Lovelace born in London Empty Ada Lovelace born in London

Post by Guest Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:57 pm

The mathematician and pioneering computer programmer was born on December 10th, 1815.

Now hailed as the world’s pioneer computer programmer, she was the only legitimate child of Lord Byron, the poet, though he had plenty of illegitimate offspring. Her mother was Annabella Millbanke, who was Byron’s polar opposite. Where he was wildly romantic, bisexual, depressive and a colossal talent, she was narrowly religious, withdrawn, cold and prim. They married in their 20s early in 1815 and Ada was born in their London mansion near Hyde Park Corner. Byron was already feeling trapped.

The new arrival was named Augusta after her father’s half-sister Augusta Leigh, but Annabella had suspicions about Byron’s relationship with Augusta and preferred to call the child Ada. When Ada was a few weeks old Annabella took her away to visit her family in Leicestershire. She never returned to Byron and in April 1816 he signed a formal deed of separation and left the country for good. He died in Greece in 1824 when Ada was eight years old. She had no memory of him at all, but she often thought about him, wistfully.

Annabella had Ada educated at home by tutors and had her well grounded in science and mathematics to suppress any poetical leanings. Ada was brilliantly intelligent and took to maths like a cygnet to water. Through her father’s family and friends she came to move in smart London social circles and at 17 in 1833 she was presented at court, but she was far more excited less than a month later when she went to a party where she met Charles Babbage.

Babbage was an outstanding mathematician who was working on what he called his ‘analytical engine’, to carry out abstruse calculations. It was the forerunner of the computer. He and Ada took to each other immediately. They kept in close touch and she helped him with his work.

In 1835, aged 19, Ada married a Lord King, who was soon created Earl of Lovelace, which made her Countess of Lovelace. They would have three children, but she continued to work with Babbage. In the 1840s she translated an article about his analytical engine by an Italian mathematician, adding her own explanations and ideas. They included a method for calculating a sequence of numbers (known as Bernoulli numbers) which would have worked if Babbage’s machine had been completed and is now considered the first computer programme.

Ada always felt that there was poetry in higher mathematics. Her relationship with her mother grew increasingly strained and, when she died in agony of cancer in 1852 aged 36, at her request she was buried next to her father in the village church at Hucknall in Nottinghamshire.

- See more at: http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/ada-lovelace-born-london#sthash.CAKBq0zN.dpuf

Back to top Go down

Ada Lovelace born in London Empty Re: Ada Lovelace born in London

Post by Cass Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:01 am

Bought this for a customer. He really liked it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Thrilling-Adventures-Lovelace-Babbage/dp/0307908275
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:03 am

To be honest Me lady, I know very little about her, so it perked my interest to read the article, and now thanks to you I can look to get this book also

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:05 am

Its honestly not something that I would read.

BTW today is Melvil Dewey's birthday!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:13 am

So two birthdays today.

I think your task now then me Lady is to find out who else shares a birthday with Ben, people in history.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:54 am

Richard The Lionheart wrote:So two birthdays today.

I think your task now then me Lady is to find out who else shares a birthday with Ben, people in history.

Laughing

Emily Dickinson

Kenneth Branagh

Susan Day (Partridge Family)

Michael Clark Duncan (Green Mile)

Dorothy Lamour

Paul Hardcastle

Meg White (White Stripes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY

Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down