NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore

2 posters

Go down

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore Empty Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore

Post by Irn Bru Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:38 am

This was featured on BBC News 24 today.

The central issue about increasing Singapore's birth rate is whether we are prepared to take the perhaps radical steps which have enabled some developed Western countries to raise their birth rates from near terminal decline to more than replacement levels. Whether such steps, which largely involve creating a state-funded parental support ecosystem, are prohibitively expensive or a vital necessity, depends on whether we consider our birth rate to be a strategic imperative of the same priority as, say, national service, which is certainly not cheap either.

Ever since the mid-1960s when the Government launched a population control programme, our TFR, or total fertility rate, has been continually declining. For three decades, it has been below the replacement rate of 2.1 births per woman and, since 2003, a dozen years ago, it has been less than 1.3 births per woman.

We're hovering at the edge of the precipice, the so-called low-fertility trap, which is when a confluence of demographic, sociological and economic trends all converge and create a self-reinforcing, unstoppable spiral downwards. A slight uptick last year is encouraging news, but hardly a trend yet.

http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/europes-baby-bump-holds-lessons-for-singapore

Singapore could end up with slow growth and a threat to theie economic stability.

Great place though.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore Empty Re: Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:20 am

Absolutely fantastic.  I would really love to go back.  It's come on in leaps and bounds and yet still has managed to retain it's character.

The wonderful memories I have of this place, Singapore Cricket Club and it's still there, even if the skyline has changed.

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore Singapore%20Cricket%20club(1)

Back to top Go down

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore Empty Re: Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:24 am

And this used to be known as the Singapore Swimming Club, now know as the British Club, oh my, the things we used to get up to there!

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore British%20Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:30 am

sassy wrote:Absolutely fantastic.  I would really love to go back.  It's come on in leaps and bounds and yet still has managed to retain it's character.

The wonderful memories I have of this place, Singapore Cricket Club and it's still there, even if the skyline has changed.

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore Singapore%20Cricket%20club(1)

It's a wonderful place and anyone who has travelled extensivly throughout the world will probably have been there at some point. That view over Brani Island or when the lights go on to illuminate the marina basin is a wonderful sight.

I've been there a few times and I used to enjoy a steak at the Cellar Bar in Change Alley near Colymer Quay. Great memories of there.

Anyone else been there who have any comnents on Singapore and the wonderful place that it is?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:32 am

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore British%20Club2

Would you believe, to the right of that pool used to be the sea!  So much land has been reclaimed, what they have done is amazing.  We used to live behind the trees in the left hand top corner, Jalan Daliah.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:34 am

Lol, Change Alley, oh my word, used to take the lads there when they arrived from England and Bugis Street.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 am

sassy wrote:Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore British%20Club2

Would you believe, to the right of that pool used to be the sea!  So much land has been reclaimed, what they have done is amazing.  We used to live behind the trees in the left hand top corner, Jalan Daliah.

Amazing picture's. I think I will save up and go back before I die. Maybe the Kiwi girl I met there is still around lol.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:41 am

sassy wrote:Lol, Change Alley, oh my word, used to take the lads there when they arrived from England and Bugis Street.

I'll be you did. The Cellar Bar was a bit more upmarket though. Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:42 am

Oh definitely more upmarket!  

Bed for me now, well past the witching hour lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:54 pm

I was very young at the time and straight out of the sticks of a small coal mining village. Laughing

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Bet that was a shock to the system then lol

Sent me right back that did.

This was the new Singapore National Theatre in 1965 (think they have replaced it since then).  I had the honour of treading those boards in a production of 'For the Love of Four Colonels' by Peter Ustinov.  I played the 'love' of the colonels.

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore National-theatre

Also was in The Matchmaker that Hello Dolly was based on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Cathay Cinema, I was sat in there when a bloody great bomb went off down the road.

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore Cathay-cinema-and-hotel-1954

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:30 am

It sure was a shock to the system. I thought that Edinburgh was the centre of the earth but I quickly realised that it wasn't. A trip abroad for me the first time was to Morecambe Bay at Pontins holiday camp where policemen wore funny hats. Laughing

Further afield was a completely different experience that I loved for the good and bad that I witnessed.

Singapore was exceptional for it's natural beauty and lifestyle and location. Mind you I didn't manage the cultural aspects very well as there were other things to do I still loved the place.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:33 am

Although when Malaysia was first formed it included Singapore, Singapore very soon decided to leave, and I'm glad it did.  It has a very different 'vibe' to Malaysia.  Malaysia is beautiful too, I always used to say it was like a tropical Scotland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:46 am

I didn't see or get bitten by any midges there Laughing

Saw a lot of US GI's in change Alley who were on leave from Vietnam. They'd go there as well a Klong Toey in Bangkok. Poor guys behaved like it was may be their last days and I don't blame them because it must have been horrific what they went through.

They were determined to go out with a bang (so to speak)
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:48 am

Irn Bru wrote:I didn't see or get bitten by any midges there Laughing

Saw a lot of US GI's in change Alley who were on leave from Vietnam. They'd go there as well a Klong Toey in Bangkok. Poor guys behaved like it was may be their last days and I don't blame them because it must have been horrific what they went through.

Yep, and some of them got surprises about who they were banging lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:49 am

sassy wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:I didn't see or get bitten by any midges there Laughing

Yep, and some of them got surprises about who they were banging lol

Oh stop it

lol! lol! lol!
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:19 am

Have you ever been to Hong Kong? great place as well.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:23 am

Fantastic place.  Went by ship from Singapore to Hong Kong, only stayed a little while, but another place that is totally unique.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:36 am

sassy wrote:Fantastic place.  Went by ship from Singapore to Hong Kong, only stayed a little while, but another place that is totally unique.

Read the book 'the wonderful world of Suzi Wong' and saw the film.

And there's a bar in Kowloon that was named that. It was wicked but respectable and a great laugh Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:49 am

It was Wink   Went there with a sailor lad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:05 am

sassy wrote:It was Wink   Went there with a sailor lad.

JD went to Hong Kong a couple of years ago and I told him about it but I dount it's still there.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:41 am

Have you ever been to the Waltzing Matilda Bar which was in Kowloon? Probably the most famour bar in Hong Hong who's rules were hilarious.

It was run obviously by an Australian and was frequented by foreign visitors from all over the world.

Great place to go amd never missed the chance to visit it.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:47 am

I've been to Skegness is that's any help? Neutral
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:48 am

eddie wrote:I've been to Skegness is that's any help? Neutral

Lol, bet you had a good time!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:50 am

sassy wrote:

Lol, bet you had a good time!

Actually I haven't even been - but if I had.....I would've had a blast! cheers
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:50 am

I've never been there. Been to Scarborough, Filey and Bridlington which I think is nearby. Great places for fish suppers I have to say.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:51 am

I've never been to Skegness I was just bragging Sad
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:53 am

eddie wrote:I've never been  to Skegness I was just bragging Sad

lol! lol! lol!
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:18 am

Don't forget The Walzing Matilda in Kowloon, frequented by quite a lot of Aussies, the place didn't approve of people picking their noses lol

Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore Waltzing_matilda_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:22 am

A famous watering hole for many people icluding ex-pats and servicemen. Top place for a good night out - minus the nose pickers of course Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:27 am

And the ones who scratch their nuts with a salad fork Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore 3489511464 Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore 3489511464

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:28 am

sassy wrote:And the ones who scratch their nuts with a salad fork Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore 3489511464 Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore 3489511464

Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:16 am

What's wrong with scratching someone's nuts with a salad fork?
Some would consider that foreplay Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:22 am

Could be, could be.  However, think they are talking about doing it to yourself (those with nuts of course) in the restaurant.  Would kinda put other people off their food lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:26 am

Doing it to yourself?

Go fork yourself! Europe's baby bump holds lessons for Singapore 3489511464
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:29 am

In the Far East there used to be a thing called Dobie Itch.  The people who did the laundry used to starch everything until it could nearly stand up by itself.  Consequently, trousers used to make men itch.  Apparently a fork on the outside of the trousers could releave it lol

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:30 am

sassy wrote:In the Far East there used to be a thing called Dobie Itch.  The people who did the laundry used to starch everything until it could nearly stand up by itself.  Consequently, trousers used to make men itch.  Apparently a fork on the outside of the trousers could releave it lol

Ah a bit of S&M Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:38 am

Lol, and in public no less!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:35 am

The problem with nose-pickers are the 'wipers' and especially the 'flickers'.

They're a bloody menace.

They can all fork off as far as I'm concerned Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:49 am

Errrrr, that's quite put me off my hot milk!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:56 am

sassy wrote:Errrrr, that's quite put me off my hot milk!

Sorry 'bout that Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down