NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos

Go down

Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Empty Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Thousands of homeless people are living on Britain's streets, many of whom are accompanied by dogs.

This companionship means a huge amount to both owner and pet, yet with so few hostels accepting animals - and the added expense of vet and food bills - having a dog while living on the streets puts an extra burden on people who are already in a desperate situation.

But over the past 20 years, Dogs Trust's Hope Project has transformed the lives of homeless dog owners.

When it was launched in 1995 there was not a single dog friendly hostel in the UK, and just one veterinary clinic run by the Hope Project in London.

Now, there are 157 dog friendly hostels nationwide and the Hope Project provides services in 107 towns and cities across the UK. Last year the charity funded more than 1,700 veterinary treatments for homeless dogs.

A survey commissioned by Dogs Trust revealed that 67% of rough sleepers were still living on the streets because they could not find accommodation with their dog, with almost two thirds of people being asked to give up their dog in order to get into accommodation.

Here, we look why these dogs mean enough to their owners, that they are prepared to live on the streets in order to keep their companion.

Andrea and Kahn

Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Slide_457836_6164206_free

Andreana lived in insecure housing for a long time and suffered drug addiction. When she got Khan she was a student living with her partner who was also a drug user. As soon she got her dog, Andreana said everything changed, as she cared for him and trained him.

“I felt a responsibility to him and he started to give me a reason to take care of myself,” she said.

Andreana, who has epilepsy, left her partner after the relationship became abusive. She took Khan with her. “I wouldn’t have left for myself but I left for my dog. We stayed with friends for a while but eventually we ended up rough sleeping during one of the coldest and snowiest winters for years.

“I really believe I would be dead now if it wasn’t for my dog. He really held me up. I couldn’t have gone on without him. He saved my life. He used to whine sometimes and I couldn’t figure out why. It wasn’t for food or to go out for a walk.

“But then I realised that he somehow knew I was going to have an epileptic fit. Because he was warning me I could put myself somewhere safe so I wouldn’t injure myself.

“I always put my dog first. I make sure he has food and veterinary treatment. While I was homeless people said to me that I shouldn’t have my dog. And that angered me. That judgement of me was hard because I always put him first. I would have given him up if it was the best thing for him but I really felt the best thing for both of us was to stay together.”

Andreana is now off the streets, living in a flat with a council tenancy. Kahn is 10 years old now, and Andreana said she is delighted to have somewhere safe he can live in his old age.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/17/dogs-trust-hope-project-homeless-owners_n_8294084.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Just one of the amazing stories in this article. Fantastic charity Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Dog_hu13

Back to top Go down

Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Empty Re: Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos

Post by eddie Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Wow. Brilliant. I lobe stories like this.

Dogs really are special little creatures.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Empty Re: Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos

Post by Guest Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:47 pm

eddie wrote:Wow. Brilliant. I lobe stories like this.

Dogs really are special little creatures.

Me too and yes they are very special. Unconditional love and affection, they can give people purpose and a reason to carry on. Love them  I love you x

Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10 Dogs Trust's Hope Project Shows Bond Between Homeless Owners And Their Dogs In Moving Photos Runnin10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down