NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putting Labour’s 50,000 new members in perspective

Go down

Putting Labour’s 50,000 new members in perspective Empty Putting Labour’s 50,000 new members in perspective

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:29 pm

When LabourList interviewed Jeremy Corbyn last month, he was very clear that while he was delighted so many had signed up to vote in the leadership contest, he wanted to “convert into membership” the bulk of those that had registered for £3.

Latest Labour Party membership figures show that 50,018 people have joined the party since Jeremy Corbyn was elected a week last Saturday. That is absolutely loads.

We thought we’d try and put this growth into a bit more perspective.

It brings Labour’s membership now to over 350,000 – double the number that can fit in Glastonbury Festival. That means that the people who have joined in the last week and a half make up 18% of Labour’s total membership.
In just 11 days, Labour have recruited more:

– than can fit in Liverpool’s Anfield stadium (45,522)

– than live in the Faroe Islands (49,179), and almost as many as live in Greenland, which is massive (56,114)

– than the number of both registered and affiliated supporters who voted for Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall combined (47,478)

– than the number who were there to watch Japan and South Africa in Saturday’s Rugby World Cup upset (29,290)

– than the amount who voted for Corbyn in Islington North this May (29,659)

– than twice as many as the number of refugees UK will accept by 2020 (20,000)

– than could fit on 595 double decker buses (49,980)

http://labourlist.org/2015/09/putting-labours-62000-new-members-in-perspective/

And every day more are joining.

Back to top Go down

Putting Labour’s 50,000 new members in perspective Empty Re: Putting Labour’s 50,000 new members in perspective

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:11 pm

It will take more busses than that with all the police needed to sit on board with them...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334312/Anti-fascist-protestors-arrested-packed-London-buses-following-violent-clashes-BNP-outside-Parliament.html

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Putting Labour’s 50,000 new members in perspective Empty Re: Putting Labour’s 50,000 new members in perspective

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:31 pm

BNP?  That'll be the problem lol

And poor old UKIP can't get enough people to go to it's conference Razz Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:56 pm

The problem is usually the lefties causing trouble at perfectly legitimate and legally organised events... that is why they keep getting arrested...!!!

UKIP 4 million votes last election!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:26 pm

I think Sassys post is based on wishful thinking as I've just read an article about the Labour MP for Ashfield,Gloria De Piero,who certainly was not gushing about Jezza Corbyn.Nor was she optimistic about Labours General Election prospects in 2020.

In fact,she sounds like every other Labour MP that I've read about in the last couple of days........damp squibs.

There's no enthusiasm at shadow cabinate level nor is there any real enthusiasm on the back benches.

Oh dear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Guess you missed this (or didn't want to acknowledge it)

Nigel Farage's party has cut the price of tickets for its Doncaster conference after sources confirmed 'significantly lower' sales than last year

Ukip has been forced to offer cut price tickets to its annual conference to boost “significantly low” numbers of delegates, the Telegraph can reveal.
The party’s leader Nigel Farage faces embarrassment in Doncaster this week as it emerged there has been a fall in the number of members paying to come along compared to last year.
Delegates have been offered two tickets for £80 plus a £10 merchandise voucher, instead of the usual £50 each ticket price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11886068/Ukip-offers-cut-price-conference-entry-after-poor-ticket-sales.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Shady wrote:I think Sassys post is based on wishful thinking as I've just read an article about the Labour MP for Ashfield,Gloria De Piero,who certainly was not gushing about Jezza Corbyn.Nor was she optimistic about Labours General Election prospects in 2020.

In fact,she sounds like every other Labour MP that I've read about in the last couple of days........damp squibs.

There's no enthusiasm at shadow cabinate level nor is there any real enthusiasm on the back benches.

Oh dear.

Absolute bollocks, new people are coming up and huge numbers joining, boy are you ever in for a shock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:29 pm

sassy wrote:Guess you missed this (or didn't want to acknowledge it)

Nigel Farage's party has cut the price of tickets for its Doncaster conference after sources confirmed 'significantly lower' sales than last year

Ukip has been forced to offer cut price tickets to its annual conference to boost “significantly low” numbers of delegates, the Telegraph can reveal.
The party’s leader Nigel Farage faces embarrassment in Doncaster this week as it emerged there has been a fall in the number of members paying to come along compared to last year.
Delegates have been offered two tickets for £80 plus a £10 merchandise voucher, instead of the usual £50 each ticket price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11886068/Ukip-offers-cut-price-conference-entry-after-poor-ticket-sales.html

Blimey Sassy that was quick.I knew you were sat there waiting for me Laughing you little tinker.

Okay,just read your post.........and? What has that got to do with Jezza?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:29 pm

It hasn't, it was in reply to Tommy and UKIP.  Actually I was posting while you were.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:34 pm

sassy wrote:It hasn't, it was in reply to Tommy and UKIP.  Actually I was posting while you were.

Well I'm not too sure about that Sassy.......but if you say so. Smile Anyway,I'm not in the mood to talk about politics.What have you been doing with yourself over the summer? Anything exciting?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:38 pm

Shady wrote:
sassy wrote:It hasn't, it was in reply to Tommy and UKIP.  Actually I was posting while you were.

Well I'm not too sure about that Sassy.......but if you say so. Smile Anyway,I'm not in the mood to talk about politics.What have you been doing with yourself over the summer? Anything exciting?

Holiday in Malta (ended up in hospital, trust me), standing as a Councillor, missed by a couple of votes, Flap being an arse thought I'd be ashamed of it and put it on youtube and here, actually as I had never stood before and was starting from scratch I was bloody proud of it, moved house, looked after me Dad, had some days out with OH and dog, and apart from painting and the organisations I belong to, that's about it lol.  How about you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 pm

sassy wrote:
Shady wrote:

Holiday in Malta (ended up in hospital, trust me), standing as a Councillor, missed by a couple of votes, Flap being an arse thought I'd be ashamed of it and put it on youtube and here, actually as I had never stood before and was starting from scratch I was bloody proud of it, moved house, looked after me Dad, had some days out with OH and dog, and apart from painting and the organisations I belong to, that's about it lol.  How about you?

I was home for the General Election & I seem to recall something about a video of you & there was a lot of shouting about it.Although I don't recall what it was all about.

Why did you end up in hospital in Malta? Drunk I bet....And I'll know if you're fibbing Sass.

How old is your Dad & do you live near him?

Well I've been back for two or three days now having left the UK sometime in June.I didn't do much really & just helped a few people who were quite nice & appreciative.

Other than that,it was the usual boring stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:57 pm

Shady wrote:
sassy wrote:

I was home for the General Election & I seem to recall something about a video of you & there was a lot of shouting about it.Although I don't recall what it was all about.

Why did you end up in hospital in Malta? Drunk I bet....And I'll know if you're fibbing Sass.

Well I've been back for two or three days now having left the UK sometime in June.I didn't do much really & just helped a few people who were quite nice & appreciative.

Malta - tummy bug going round, Dad and I got it (went with Dad and brother as Dad just loves to travel still).  Dad was fine in 6 hours.  Because of my chronic leukaemia I was still pebble dashing the walls 3 days later, so they had to put me on a drip.  Such fun.  Dad is 93, still drives (takes his test every year), still President of his RAFA Association (they had their annual dinner yesterday) and still arranges the concert every year, sharp as a tack mentally but got bad physical problems now, my brother and I take it in turns.  He's about 70 miles away, but at some point one of us is going to have to live with him.  I don't mind, he's been a rock in my life and anything I can do for him is ok with me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:01 am

sassy wrote:
Shady wrote:

Malta - tummy bug going round, Dad and I got it (went with Dad and brother as Dad just loves to travel still).  Dad was fine in 6 hours.  Because of my chronic leukaemia I was still pebble dashing the walls 3 days later, so they had to put me on a drip.  Such fun.  Dad is 93, still drives (takes his test every year), still President of his RAFA Association (they had their annual dinner yesterday) and still arranges the concert every year, sharp as a tack mentally but got bad physical problems now, my brother and I take it in turns.  He's about 70 miles away, but at some point one of us is going to have to live with him.  I don't mind, he's been a rock in my life and anything I can do for him is ok with me.

93 is a damned fine age to reach & I'm glad he has relatively good health & it's easier when old folk retain their marbles so to speak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:03 am

Shady wrote:
sassy wrote:

93 is a damned fine age to reach & I'm glad he has relatively good health & it's easier when old folk retain their marbles so to speak.

It is, my Mum got dementia towards the end and had to go in a home, I wasn't well enough to look after her and Dad nearly killed himself trying, she would scream all night.  It was horrible.

I think I'm right, from something you said the other day, you have had a loss recently, if so, very sorry to hear it although I think the circumstances might have been very trying for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:10 am

sassy wrote:
Shady wrote:

It is, my Mum got dementia towards the end and had to go in a home, I wasn't well enough to look after her and Dad nearly killed himself trying, she would scream all night.  It was horrible.

I think I'm right, from something you said the other day, you have had a loss recently, if so, very sorry to hear it although I think the circumstances might have been very trying for you.

I don't like dementia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am

Shady wrote:
sassy wrote:

I don't like dementia.

I know, it's the most horrible thing.  I hope I'm like my Dad, if I last that long!  Ruddy 70 at the end of this year and with the illnesses I've had I'm surprised I've got this far.  Wouldn't have done without my OH and family, although my Dad says it's sheer bolshiness that keeps the both of us going.  Think he is right.  And on that note, as I'm not a well bunny at the moment, will have to take myself to bed after I've made OH his packed lunch for work tomorrow.  Nice to have talked one human being to another.  Night Shady.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:47 am

sassy wrote:
Shady wrote:

that's really lovely sassy - WOW! at your dad

did have a little chuckle over the pebble dashing comment though -soz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down