NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep

+2
Raggamuffin
veya_victaous
6 posters

Go down

The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep Empty The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:14 am

On Thursday 3 September, newspaper front pages across Europe pictured the body of dead three-year-old boy washed up on a shore. As many commentators agree, the photograph has the power to universally galvanise emotions, cutting through our dissociation from the enormous suffering of those who seek to flee from the terrors in their own lands and try to find some security and safeness in ours. Why, we may ask, does is it take a picture of a dead child to wake us from our compassionate sleep? One reason is that we are biologically more sensitive to the suffering of a child than we are to adults. And we are biologically more sensitive to the plight of one child than we are to the struggle of thousands. Our experience and reactions to the suffering of those fleeing terror, perhaps offers a mirror to the challenges of compassion in the modern world. Compassion is a motivation for caring, but it has to compete within our human brain with many other evolved motivational systems that turn it off - not least those linked to threat, tribalism, personal possessiveness and territorial control.

As the recent film Inside Out has portrayed so well, we each have a bundle of conflicting motives and emotions, each with their own priorities and claims on our minds. It is well known that politicians can play to our inner conflicts, stimulating threat and tribalism within us, such that we see others as aliens, different from ourselves and not our concern. Our attention is constantly directed towards the threat to ourselves and the need for tough action to ensure our protection. This language makes us feel swamped, over run, and overwhelmed, and leads to fears of losing our individuality or national identity. We begin to believe that, in some way, by caring for others we will lose opportunities and be required to make sacrifices. We think caring is all very well, but not if it costs us too much. But the fact is, compassion does cost us; it is not a superficial kindness but a preparedness to engage in the causes of suffering with a commitment to develop the wisdom to try to alleviate and prevent it. This takes courage and requires a preparedness to suffer, to some degree, with those who are suffering. Compassion calls on us to address our dark sides of tribalism, threat and possessiveness - to override our self-focused, competitive mind, so cleverly immortalised by Gollum in the Lord of the Rings. "It is mine, I tell you. My own. My precious. Yes, my precious."

The crisis currently unfolding also directs our attention to something deeper - the understanding that the very nature of human existence is soaked in suffering. From the day we are born to the day we die some 25,000 days later (if we are lucky), we are never far from disease and injury, decay and death; we are never far from the accidents and tragedies of life, the tsunamis, famines and wars. The only thing that reduces suffering is the help and kindness we extend to each other. We are all interdependent. At the root of all spiritual traditions we are asked to open our eyes to the suffering of others, reach out, share what we have and make personal sacrifices. To do so, we must fight battles within ourselves and spend a moment imagining the empathic position: How would I feel if that was me in the cold transit camp? How would I feel if that was me and my child crammed in a tiny boat desperate to avoid death or rape? How would I feel if I had to watch my terrified three-year-old fall overboard?

When we take an empathic road, we open ourselves to imagine being in the minds of others. Perhaps only then can we wake up and understand what compassion calls on us to do. But it is painful and costly. Much depends on whether we are prepared to begin that journey or instead listen to the inner voices of threat, fear, possessiveness and self-focused concerns. Let us hope there is no such thing as multiple universes where, in a parallel life, it is us who is desperately in need of the compassion of others. The crisis of suffering of immigrants is not a one-off tragedy, but part of the brutality of modern life. But if we are to learn something exceptional from it, let it be that while compassion may be costly and requiring of courage, commitment and sacrifice, it is absolutely fundamental to improving the plight of humanity. The key to following the compassionate empathic journey is not to fall into despair but to be inspired to develop the wisdom of how best to take action. That might be working with others on the same cause or encouraging compassionate leadership and values. The fact is, having woken from our compassionate sleep, humans can achieve great things when enough of us commit ourselves to them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/professor-paul-gilbert-obe/migration-crisis_b_8082506.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep Empty Re: The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:29 am

very nice.....

except you should add as a final line

"and then the bombers came in the guise of those needing compassion and wrought the destruction of this civilised ideal"

Back to top Go down

The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep Empty Re: The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:30 am

the greeks became passive peacefull "advanced" civilisation...look what happened to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:31 am

the barbarians always win...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:33 am

victorismyhero wrote:very nice.....

"and then the bombers came in the guise of those needing compassion and wrought the destruction of this civilised ideal"

There is always that risk, but surely this is outweighed by a staggering amount of those in actual need here?
By shunning them would only increase the chances of them being lured to join an extremist group, if they are ostracized.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:34 am

ah I got a bite Laughing good morning to you sir....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:37 am

victorismyhero wrote:ah I got a bite Laughing  good morning to you sir....

Good Morning to you Sir Victor.   Laughing

I see smelly is online after previously claiming he would never come back lol, but it should add to the fun here with debates.

As to the article, not bad at all.

Last edited by Cuchulain on Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:41 am

rather emotive though....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:43 am

victorismyhero wrote:rather emotive though....

It certainly has played heavily on emotive reasoning, but then this is a very emotive issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:45 am

agreed...what I want to know though is who's benefit is going to be cut next to pay for it all....

perhaps they will start snipping away at state pensions next?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:46 am

victorismyhero wrote:agreed...what I want to know though is who's benefit is going to be cut next to pay for it all....

A fair point, where nothing should be cut, but the  budget adjusted to accomadate the extra costs, though we both know that will not happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:58 am

victorismyhero wrote:agreed...what I want to know though is who's benefit is going to be cut next to pay for it all....

Finally a British voice that speaks sense cheers cheers cheers of course it's victor Razz Razz Razz

And you didge.... Cool on this issue at least Razz

I think the article is emotive but true and something some people should contemplate. does it really take seeing a dead child to do the right thing? Neutral
It is depressing for how many people it does Sad

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:02 am

So does this mean that nobody else will get in a leaky boat with their two children?

Perhaps they will make some wings and fly west instead.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:03 am

They'll just pluck some more money from the money tree - no problem at all.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:05 am

Well at least we have a new nickname for Rags.
Katie Hopkins 2

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:16 am

So how will taking more refugees stop people getting on leaky boats? Won't more of them do it because they stand a better chance of getting to the west?

At least Cameron had the sense to say that refugees should be from Syria or the Syria/Turkey border. Germany is just encouraging them to come to Europe by boat.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:18 am

Raggamuffin wrote:So how will taking more refugees stop people getting on leaky boats? Won't more of them do it because they stand a better chance of getting to the west?

At least Cameron had the sense to say that refugees should be from Syria or the Syria/Turkey border. Germany is just encouraging them to come to Europe by boat.

From what I understand Britain will send ships to collect refugees from Syria.
So you think advising people suffering some of the worst persecutions should not have such a welcome and invite to come?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:21 am

Didge, I took you off ignore so that the new posts thing would work, but I have no further interest in debating anything with you until you learn to be civil. If you start on me personally, you'll be told to fuck off. Otherwise, you will be ignored.

That goes for anyone else too.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:24 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Didge, I took you off ignore so that the new posts thing would work, but I have no further interest in debating anything with you until you learn to be civil. If you start on me personally, you'll be told to fuck off. Otherwise, you will be ignored.

Ha ha ha ha

I think its you that needs to take a leaf out of your own book as since you have been on this morning you have made some really poor and disgusting accusations and been abusive.
So do as you please, you are just making yourself look a complete tit today. lol

All it shows is you offer up poor excuses for your bad behaviour, when you do not like being shown up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:26 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Didge, I took you off ignore so that the new posts thing would work, but I have no further interest in debating anything with you until you learn to be civil. If you start on me personally, you'll be told to fuck off. Otherwise, you will be ignored.

Ha ha ha ha

I think its you that needs to take a leaf out of your own book as since you have been on this morning you have made some really poor and disgusting accusations and been abusive.
So do as you please, you are just making yourself look a complete tit today. lol

All it shows is you offer up poor excuses for your bad behaviour, when you do not like being shown up.

The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep A0645572667_5
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:27 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Ha ha ha ha

The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep A0645572667_5

The Day a Picture Woke Us From Our Compassionate Sleep D7e3bc8de72e94fc1a59fbeea686e2426af1e3da0e8667efe1e2b1023e466ee1

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:39 am

okay Sorry i have to put my moderator hat on
can we please not fill up multiple threads with the same 2 pictures

at least find different ones Razz Razz Razz Razz
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:40 am

veya_victaous wrote:okay Sorry i have to put my moderator hat on

No problems Veya

She is acting like a 2 year old anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:40 am

In fact you should remove them as they are just spoiling the threads.

Ta

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:40 am

Cuchulain wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:okay Sorry i have to put my moderator hat on

No problems Veya

Fuck off.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:42 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

No problems Veya

Fuck off.

Ahhhhhh bless, do you need a hug at all Katie?

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:42 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Fuck off.

Laughing

Fuck off Ian.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Laughing

Fuck off Ian.

Ha ha ha ha ha

This is priceless.

"Calm down dear, its only a forum"

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:44 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Fuck off Ian.

Ha ha ha ha ha

This is priceless.

Fuck off Jimmy.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:46 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha

This is priceless.

Fuck off Jimmy.

First Ian, now Jimmy, seems you are in a right muddle.

Ha Ha ha ha

Best you get some soap love and actually wash for a change, as the smell of your bitterness is over powering.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:47 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Fuck off Jimmy.

Ha Ha ha ha

Best you get some soap love and actually wash for a change, as the smell of your bitterness is over powering.

Laughing

Fuck off Jeffrey.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:49 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Ha Ha ha ha

Laughing

Fuck off Jeffrey.

Ha ha ha ha ha

What next, Bungle?
Zippy?

Would some classical Music help clam you down? As have you run out of your diazepam?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:52 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Fuck off Jeffrey.

Ha ha ha ha ha

What next, Bungle?
Zippy?

Would some classical Music help clam you down? As have you run out of your diazepam?

Fuck off Fred.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:53 am

Will you be calling me a "retard" next Didge?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:58 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha

What next, Bungle?
Zippy?

Fuck off Fred.

Seriously call the doctors so you can get a new prescription and see you return back to some normality lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Fuck off Fred.

Seriously call the doctors so you can get a new prescription and see you return back to some normality lol

Are you mocking people with illnesses again Didge?

There's no limit to how low you will go is there?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

No just mocking you Rags

You set yourself for a big fall like you have today, all of your own making.

I find it hilarious, so just to clarify, I am only mocking you.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No just mocking you Rags

Laughing

Fine. I'm off to pastures new.

See you around.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

No just mocking you Rags

Laughing

Fine. I'm off to pastures new.

See you around.

Cry baby.

Which just proves you are happy to dish out but cannot take it when returned in kind.

Which I doubt you will learn from.

So see you later then.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:very nice.....

There is always that risk, but surely this is outweighed by a staggering amount of those in actual need here?
By shunning them would only increase the chances of them being lured to join an extremist group, if they are ostracized.
I wonder why so many men of fighting age are so keen to reach europe rather than stay in nice safe Muslim turkey close to home.
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:48 pm

veya_victaous wrote:

Finally a British voice that speaks sense cheers cheers cheers of course it's victor Razz Razz Razz

And you didge.... Cool  on this issue at least Razz  

I think the article is emotive but true and something some people should contemplate. does it really take seeing a dead child to do the right thing? Neutral
It is depressing for how many people it does Sad

yet the thousands of dead kids in syria did not have people demanding action to stop daesh.

not for the faint hearted, seriously graphic:

The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:12 pm

The Devil, You Know wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

I wonder why so many men of fighting age are so keen to reach europe rather than stay in nice safe Muslim turkey close to home.

Absurd reasoning again based on your own prejudiced view and not any sound reasoning.
I was not aware you held a check list for all the ages of people either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Rags asked me who Allakaka was.
He makes 90 % of posts on anpther site - all of which are extreme rw and hate filled.
She posted on his thread on another site.
He posted here a few times .
This is what he is like.
A Ukip candidate today sparked fury after apparently blaming the death of a three-year-old Syrian refugee on the “greed” of his parents.
A Twitter account seemingly run by Peter Bucklitsch, who ran as a Ukip candidate for Wimbledon in May, shocked followers this afternoon with the message: “The little Syrian boy was well clothed and well fed. He died because his parents were greedy for the good life in Europe. Queue jumping costs.”
Mr Bucklitsch, who has been approached by the Standard for comment, apparently followed up the controversial tweet with the message: “Predictable unthinking outrage. Turkey is not a place where the family was in danger. Leaving that safe place put the family in peril.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ukip-candidate-greedy-parents-of-syrian-refugee-are-to-blame-for-his-death-a2926711.ht

I totally agree with Mr. Bucklitsch.

He is as sick as Katie Hopkins
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Oh change the record HA.
Ninety percent of your posts are about other people.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down