NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grammar and privilege

+2
eddie
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

Grammar and privilege Empty Grammar and privilege

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Thought this was really interesting -- one of those things that you understand but never quite would have put this way:

It is indeed important to learn the accepted linguistic conventions of the standard dialect for reasons of communication, clarity and even persuasive style. But it happens to be a historically privileged dialect through no innate merit of its own and is not inherently linguistically better than other, non-standard dialects of English. Even if you don’t buy this linguistic fact, like all dialects, even ones you may perceive to be ungrammatical, there are rules which reflect how speakers actually use the language. These rules are not formed by some invisible authority on high, never to be questioned, ever.

These are “the modern truths about language: language changes constantly; change is normal; spoken language is the language; correctness rests upon usage; all usage is relative.” Ultimately native speakers are the ones who decide what is standard language, based on their own accepted use. There are conventional styles and discourse registers that are appropriate in some contexts and not others. Most people have a linguistic hobby horse or two (I have a whole stable of them myself) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that—as long as we acknowledge that often these conventions are subjective and not forever fixed universal rules of language that define a person’s intelligence. In the same way, you may also find skinny jeans problematic as an item of fashion but plenty of people are still definitely wearing them as pants.

Along with existing linguistic conventions that reflect how speakers talk, that may change as the language evolves, it might surprise you to know there are also these so-called ‘make believe grammar’ rules—those rules that do not reflect exactly how the standard dialect is used, yet continue to be taught some hundreds of years after their invention.

What of those grammar rules that were entirely dreamt up in an age of moral prescriptivism, reflecting nothing of historical or literary usage, to encourage the poor English language to be more like an entirely different (and entirely dead) language, namely Latin? Wait, which rules are those? It seems pretty crazy but the popular grammar rules familiar to most of us may in fact be completely fake and have no basis in linguistic reality. The English language didn’t change to make those rules obsolete, they were simply fictional from the start.

http://daily.jstor.org/grammar-rule-is-probably-fake/

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Grammar and privilege Empty Re: Grammar and privilege

Post by eddie Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Keep talking. Keep writing. Keep language alive!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Grammar rules makes it easier to spell etc but I expect that's not important either.
Dialects are great but everyone should know how to speak clearly to people who don't share their dialect, how to construct an intelligble sentence and spell.
I spend a lot of time speaking to people face to face and on the phone and sometimes I haven't a clue what they are trying to say, there's a lot of 'innit', ' like', 'yeh' 'fanks' etc between the mumbles.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 pm

There's an interesting phone in debate about words, language and grammar on radio 5 live sometimes in The early hours...

'The grammar phone in' I think it's called.

Not listened to it for a while because I'm working days at the moment and have to be asleep way before it comes on... don't know what the time difference is for you Ben, but think it's on at about 2-00am here so you may be able to tune in at more sensible USA time.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:28 pm

I think that would mean it comes on at 8 a.m. here, which for most Americans would work -- but I generally don't get up until after 10 Sleep Sleep Sleep

@Vintage -- I see what you're saying, I think the article just means that non-standard dialects have their own versions of proper and improper grammar, so someone who grew up speaking, say, Cockney might think they were wrong not to say innit, like, fanks, etc. Smile

I have this weird thing where I feel I have more in common with someone who speaks like me than someone who looks like me.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I think that would mean it comes on at 8 a.m. here, which for most Americans would work -- but I generally don't get up until after 10 Sleep Sleep Sleep

@Vintage -- I see what you're saying, I think the article just means that non-standard dialects have their own versions of proper and improper grammar, so someone who grew up speaking, say, Cockney might think they were wrong not to say innit, like, fanks, etc. Smile

I have this weird thing where I feel I have more in common with someone who speaks like me than someone who looks like me.

Me too. Never thought about that but I guess that's true! And I'm not talking accents either.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:58 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:I think that would mean it comes on at 8 a.m. here, which for most Americans would work -- but I generally don't get up until after 10 Sleep Sleep Sleep

Me too. Never thought about that but I guess that's true! And I'm not talking accents either.

Yeah! I think it's that your experiences, personality, interests, whatever, influence your vocabulary, so you almost instinctively sense a fellow traveler Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 pm

I don't understand this thread, but I wish someone would take that "d" out of "privilege". Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I don't understand this thread, but I wish someone would take that "d" out of "privilege". Laughing

cheers cheers cheers cheers wat a prefect commeant ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I don't understand this thread, but I wish someone would take that "d" out of "privilege". Laughing

cheers cheers cheers cheers wat a prefect commeant ...

Grammar and privilege 2681620681
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:26 am

Grammar and privilege RViBSM0
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down