NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Twitter be on the way out?

3 posters

Go down

Could Twitter be on the way out? Empty Could Twitter be on the way out?

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:45 am

TWITTER IS IN crisis. Although the company is popular among power users, those who don’t use Twitter don’t see the point. As its stock price plunges, Twitter execs are working frantically to give the service more mass appeal.

As first reported by BuzzFeed, Twitter is testing a news tab within its app in the US that showcases the top news headlines of the moment. The effort is meant to broaden Twitter’s appeal by making it easier to find the stuff worth seeing.

Most tellingly, the news tab does not look like a stream of tweets. Instead, it shows users a list of headlines based on what stories are trending on Twitter; users can click on each to see more information or read the top tweets discussing the news of the day. For now, the news tab remains an experiment rolled out for only a small number of US users. It is unclear if it will become a fully-fledged part of Twitter’s app.

In its earnings call last week, Twitter made it clear that they’ve had a hard time appealing to new users, especially in the US, and have not yet reached the mass market so critical to its survival. The company’s executives say they believe that Twitter remains too difficult to use. So they’re experimenting with new products that might make the service easier to use and the best content easier to find.

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/shares-plunge-twitter-scrambles-attract-new-users/

I have to say I still haven't really figured out what crucial role Twitter is supposed to play in the online ecosystem. When there isn't some huge news event going on, it's basically just a barebones Facebook with quality content such as:

Could Twitter be on the way out? Dumbest-twitter-first-daughter-girl

Could Twitter be on the way out? Dumbest-twitter-beyonce-album

Could Twitter be on the way out? Dumbest-tweets-ever-17-550x397

Could Twitter be on the way out? Cdn-media.nationaljournal.com_
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Could Twitter be on the way out? Empty Re: Could Twitter be on the way out?

Post by veya_victaous Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:04 am

they kill themselves by having too many plebs

the technical service while good for celebrity types, bands and companies etc it is not only pointless by annoying in the hands of normal people.

it should have focused on becoming a promotional tool instead, it is just the most annoying as fuck social media platform that basically just narcissists shouting into the internet.

too much crap from people that have nothing to promote makes the whole thing garbage Neutral
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:19 pm

veya_victaous wrote:they kill themselves by having too many plebs

the technical service while good for celebrity types, bands and companies etc it is not only pointless by annoying in the hands of normal people.

it should have focused on becoming a promotional tool instead, it is just the most annoying as fuck social media platform that basically just narcissists shouting into the internet.

too much crap from people that have nothing to promote makes the whole thing garbage  Neutral

I agree. It's awesome in the hands of people who actually have something interesting to say, the problem is that a lot of people don't understand "interesting" Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:50 pm

I use it to get political information, for that it's brilliant. For instance, by following people in Yemen it's possible to know about bombings etc before main news channels get it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:06 pm

I guess the empty comments are a way that people basically say "I want attention" without actually having to say it. I'd probably understand it better if I actually cared about that sort of thing pirat
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Well, I want to know what is going on in the world, and I want to know it as soon as possible. I also want to know things that are going on in the UK that don't get into the mainstream news, and the only way to do that is Twitter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:32 pm

sassy wrote:Well, I want to know what is going on in the world, and I want to know it as soon as possible.  I also want to know things that are going on in the UK that don't get into the mainstream news, and the only way to do that is Twitter.  

It's great for that use. I just don't think its business model is a good one for feeding a big greedy corporation.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:45 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
sassy wrote:Well, I want to know what is going on in the world, and I want to know it as soon as possible.  I also want to know things that are going on in the UK that don't get into the mainstream news, and the only way to do that is Twitter.  

It's great for that use. I just don't think its business model is a good one for feeding a big greedy corporation.

Wouldn't know what it's business model is lol, I just use it!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:15 pm

I dont like the layout of it, I simply can't get to grips with it at all.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down