NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pop-ups going mad!

4 posters

Go down

Pop-ups going mad! Empty Pop-ups going mad!

Post by Original Quill Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:00 pm

What's with that?  They are like locusts.

I've got Adblock, but when I enable it half of Newsfix goes missing.  Can't New Topic post, edit or quote...can't even send a PM.  It's like a layer of Foremotion goes off.

Is there some feature in Adblock whereby I can enable it and block the pop-ups, but still retain all the features of Newsfix?  This can't be right.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Pop-ups going mad! Empty Re: Pop-ups going mad!

Post by Guest Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 pm

the site has been very slow today and other days, i have at one point had to click the page down because it just wouldn't load .

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:00 pm

The help forum did post a message earlier about maintenance going on this week; that's probably why.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:04 pm

gremlins I tells ya, there are gremlins..lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 am

My probs started last Monday, June 29th, when half the layers of Newsfix left. I looked around and when I disabled Adblock, it all came back. But now I've got ads like locusts.

I only recently downloaded Adblock. Before it was never like this.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:44 am

Are they appearing across the top, Quill?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:47 pm

No, they are all over. There is one approx. 4" by 5" in the lower right corner, that adverts and won't respond to the 'X' to close. Then there is the "AD IN 5 SEC' which counts down and then switches your whole screen to another. If I don't catch it in the countdown, I can go back to Netfx but accumulate a couple of dozen screens, which slows down the machine. Then there is the pop-up across the bottom, which is not a bother til you reach the end of the thread. Then there are the various pop-ups that can go off anytime anywhere.

All of this in addition to the frequent disconnect notices. I can't post without taking a copy lest when I 'send' it says 'soz you lost connection'. Like I say...the place is going crazy.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:49 pm

Use Firefox and Ad Block, never get or see them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:57 pm

sassy wrote:Use Firefox and Ad Block, never get or see them.

Exactly what I am using. Last weekend I updated Adblock and that's when it started. When I enabled Adblock half of this website disappeared. No quote, edit or emoticons. No PM. All the lights to indicate a new post disappeared. All descriptions disappeared. It was like a layer of the website was peeled away.

Then I disabled Adblock and everything went back to normal, but then these Ad locusts started buzzing around.

Logic says the key problem is Adblock. Why does it turn off/remove a layer of forumotion? Cause it does stop the ads...just makes half the website disappear.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Don't know then Quill, because I'm not having a problem at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:09 pm

Yes...that's why I believe it is the update. Unfortunately you can't undo an update. You can disable the whole thing, but not a part.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Oh dear, in that case, I'm not doing any update!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:25 pm

heavenlyfatheragain wrote:gremlins I tells ya, there are gremlins..lol

yeah one just turned up about 20 minutes ago and ugly one at that too Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Guest wrote:
heavenlyfatheragain wrote:gremlins I tells ya, there are gremlins..lol

yeah one just turned up about 20 minutes ago and ugly one at that too Razz

Twenty minutes? Try one every three seconds.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Original Quill wrote:
sassy wrote:Use Firefox and Ad Block, never get or see them.

Exactly what I am using.  Last weekend I updated Adblock and that's when it started.  When I enabled Adblock half of this website disappeared.  No quote, edit or emoticons.  No PM.  All the lights to indicate a new post disappeared.  All descriptions disappeared.  It was like a layer of the website was peeled away.

Then I disabled Adblock and everything went back to normal, but then these Ad locusts started buzzing around.

Logic says the key problem is Adblock.  Why does it turn off/remove a layer of forumotion?  Cause it does stop the ads...just makes half the website disappear.

I have Adblock, and having it enabled works well on here. I did have a problem when I tried to block one signature on here - as you said, the orange thingy to indicate new posts disappeared - so I had to unblock that one. It took me a while to sort out and I did have adverts on here while I did so. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:09 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Exactly what I am using.  Last weekend I updated Adblock and that's when it started.  When I enabled Adblock half of this website disappeared.  No quote, edit or emoticons.  No PM.  All the lights to indicate a new post disappeared.  All descriptions disappeared.  It was like a layer of the website was peeled away.

Logic says the key problem is Adblock.  Why does it turn off/remove a layer of forumotion?  Cause it does stop the ads...just makes half the website disappear.

I have Adblock, and having it enabled works well on here. I did have a problem when I tried to block one signature on here - as you said, the orange thingy to indicate new posts disappeared - so I had to unblock that one. It took me a while to sort out and I did have adverts on here while I did so. Laughing

As you intimate, Adblock is the problem. Yes, I have Adblock too. When I enable it, half of Newsfx disappears. Not just the orange thingys; it's like a clear plastic overlay exists over Newsfx with many of the features on it. When I enable Adblock, not only the pop-ups, but that whole layer is peeled away. I lose quote, edit, thanks, the orange thingy, as you say, PM disappears and all smilies are lost. I have to construct posts by hand, without benefit of any of the items on the control bar across the top.

So, I have to disable Adblock and live with the ads. Someone should invent something without the down side.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum