NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice)

+3
eddie
Raggamuffin
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice) Empty "What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice)

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 pm

OK, so I have a little bit of a quandary career-wise.

One one hand, I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. I'm good at what I do, my job is pretty secure and it affords me more freedom and flexibility than I ever could have imagined having in my career -- freedom to set my own responsibilities, focus on what I want to focus on and create pretty much every protocol for meeting my department's responsibilities.

On the other hand, it doesn't pay very well and it's a newspaper job, so there's realistically no advancement beyond where I am now.

I'd like to get people's thoughts here. Should I stay where I'm at and just count myself lucky to be a full-time employed journalist with an amount of freedom and security virtually unheard of in my industry?

Or, should I try to acquire new skills and start a completely different career at the age of 40?

Or should I go for some middle path that allows me to pick up more money on the side while keeping my job?

Or something else?

Okay lady, I love you, bye-bye.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

"What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice) Empty Re: "What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice)

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:00 pm

The second one.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

"What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice) Empty Re: "What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice)

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:05 pm

You should do what makes you happy.
I doubt money would ever be your motivation unless it was needed for others and not yourself Ben.
Maybe you are just bored or at a cross roads at which path to take next in life. I know writing and sports are a passion for you. You have to really ask yourself, can you see yourself not having the close relationship you do already have now with them?
That is the best way to look at this by weighing up how you would feel and picture how you would feel. I could off you many solutions, but it is only important how you feel and what would make you happy. As when you are happy, this will rub off on others to be happy. We cannot expect to help others be happy, if not happy ourselves mate.

I do not think personally you should give up on your original dream. You will be there at something so unprecedented that it will be everyone reading your words of a witness to that event.
Stay gold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:10 pm

So Raggs, you think I should go for a whole new career?

And Bel, thanks for the advice -- I've told myself a lot of the same things. I think I am going to need to get more money somehow, though, because right now I'm looking at the prospect of pretty much living in poverty once I retire.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Oh, I meant to add -- please feel free, anyone, to seek advice in this thread. I thought it would be cool to have a career advice thread.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:12 pm

Ben you cannot put a price on freedom.
If you get a lot of freedom where you are, and the money is good AND you like the job, then stay where you are.
As you grow older, freedom will be more required than money as you'll always adapt to the money you have.

Take it from me. Freedom cannot be measured and you will always regret it having it.
You can't spend more money if you have no time to spend it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:So Raggs, you think I should go for a whole new career?

And Bel, thanks for the advice -- I've told myself a lot of the same things. I think I am going to need to get more money somehow, though, because right now I'm looking at the prospect of pretty much living in poverty once I retire.

Sorry, the third one.

Well this one anyway.

Or should I go for some middle path that allows me to pick up more money on the side while keeping my job?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:17 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:So Raggs, you think I should go for a whole new career?

You are welcome Bro.
Good that you are thinking of the future. Personally, you could take 3 steps back and only gain one step forward in regards to money. You just need to find the right path that can allow you to take a step back that will lead to 5 forward in regards to money. Every decision will have multiple reactions and end scenarios. Think about those first. I think you love what you do, you just need to center a goal on a better salary through this path, as I know you can. Have some self belief and get yourself onto the higher paid scale in this industry as I know you can. You just have to believe you can and you will succeed. Trust me, I have faith in you.

Right really will catch up tomorrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:21 pm

you have one life...live it.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:22 pm

darknessss wrote:you have one life...live it.....

Nothing can beat that advice.
Night mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:23 pm

I don't think that people should think themselves lucky to merely have a job. I see a lot of people say that - even when someone says they hate their job.

What I would say is that if you love your job, or like it, or even if you don't dread going to work, then you are lucky. So many people have jobs they hate, and they feel trapped in them for a variety of reasons.

I worked in London for a while, and I absolutely loved my job. I was offered a different job which would have meant more money and a higher grade, and I turned it down because I loved what I already did.

If you have a chance to progress personally within your job, or outside of it, do that. Progress doesn't necessarily mean being promoted or even getting more money.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 pm

eddie wrote:Ben you cannot put a price on freedom.
If you get a lot of freedom where you are, and the money is good AND you like the job, then stay where you are.
As you grow older, freedom will be more required than money as you'll always adapt to the money you have.

Take it from me. Freedom cannot be measured and you will always regret it having it.
You can't spend more money if you have no time to spend it.

Yeah, I think that's probably right. Thanks for all the advice, everyone -- it means a lot that so many of you offered yours Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:30 pm

How does the pension thing work in the US. Do you have a private one that you pay into?

Are there any cuts you can make financially so you can pay more in?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:13 am

Raggamuffin wrote:How does the pension thing work in the US. Do you have a private one that you pay into?

Are there any cuts you can make financially so you can pay more in?

There are a number of different private pension-type plans that we use; I have a 401K. It's building up but I'm thinking I'd like to start putting more into it. I have a decent amount of savings but nothing that would support me.

I already live pretty lean -- no cable TV, rarely take expensive vacations, don't eat out very often, etc. I've been talking to a few people today about doing some freelance photography, though, and if I can start making a few hundred per month off that, I think I would increase my 401K contribution.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:22 am

Do what makes you happy.....not what makes you rich

as long as you have enough to live on when retired screw the rest of it.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:24 am

Money CANT buy happiness...It CAN buy beer , which is sort of similar, but in bottles.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:56 am

I was told: It’s not about the thing; it’s about the ride.  

Are you not happy doing this?  Then go where it feels better.

Or, are you picking apart your life because the big explosion hasn't happened yet?

Or are you just restless, like me, and you keep saying: yes, that looks like fun!?

You are in a business that can make a lot of money and still be exciting, so don't change if money or challenge is the problem.  The only reason you would change is if you are totally bored and have no interest anymore.

Try some alternative ways to do the same thing. Other outlets. Use your imagination.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:07 am

i mostly do what i find interesting leaning more to practical skills rather than academic ones
from being a lumberjack to computer engineer
bit of a jack of all trades but only a master of a few
i have loads of different and varied interests spanning many subjects and a very enquiring mind
and all ways willing to learn something new

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:34 am

darknessss wrote:Do what makes you happy.....not what makes you rich

as long as you have enough to live on when retired screw the rest of it.....

Exactly what I said Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 am

freedom and time within a job is a wonderful thing, being able to work under your on rules is priceless but the money to enjoy the good things in life is also very precious, to sip a glass of screaming eagle cabernet sauvignon, with someone special in a very secluded spot costs money...

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:26 am

heavenlyfatheragain wrote:freedom and time within a job is a wonderful thing, being able to work under your on rules is priceless but the money to enjoy the good things in life is also very precious, to sip a glass of screaming eagle cabernet sauvignon, with someone special in a very secluded spot costs money...

If you're with someone you truly love and enjoy, a cheap bottle of wine in your own back garden is just as lovely....
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:29 am

eddie wrote:
heavenlyfatheragain wrote:freedom and time within a job is a wonderful thing, being able to work under your on rules is priceless but the money to enjoy the good things in life is also very precious, to sip a glass of screaming eagle cabernet sauvignon, with someone special in a very secluded spot costs money...

If you're with someone you truly love and enjoy, a cheap bottle of wine in your own back garden is just as lovely....

It can be yes but the finer things in life cost, I'm not saying what you own should define you as a person as that shouldn't be the case but unfortunately the treatment you receive from people often differs by how much you appear to have...

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:20 am

heavenlyfatheragain wrote:
eddie wrote:

It can be yes but the finer things in life cost, I'm not saying what you own should define you as a person as that shouldn't be the case but unfortunately the treatment you receive from people often differs by how much you appear to have...

That can be true I think, depending on the type of people.
If someone were to judge me on what I had, rather than who I am though, I wouldn't want to associate with them necessarily.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:24 am

If people need material objects to please others or themselves, then they truly do not understand love.
Love does not have a price attached to it. You must first learn to love yourself before you can even attempt to love others.
Alcohol is just a drug after all, which is certainly no substitute for the felling of love itself.
You can spend a quality evening in the company of someone you love without alcohol.
It does not cost anything to enjoy a wonderful evening with someone in the garden.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:38 am

Quite true didge, I have had some wonderful moments in a garden, [more like hours]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:22 pm

or a nice walk round a wood or moorland....

I'm very lucky Mrs Victor shoots as well so we usually have a day out together.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:35 pm

eddie wrote:

That  can be true I think, depending on the type of people.
If someone were to judge me on what I had, rather than who I am though, I wouldn't want to associate with them necessarily.

i agree and i wouldn't want friends like that, i find it is more services and assistants who treat you by your wealth are apparent wealth..

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:29 pm

My feeling about money is that it can be horrible if you don't have it; but you gain nothing if you do have it.  That is why money is inevitably associated with the bad side of life...it merely gets things out of the way.  It is freedom from constraint, but...

...fredom's just another word for nothing left to lose.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTHRg_iSWzM

Life is a process, not a thing.  Money can only buy things.  When you die you won't have the "things" you acquired.  But you will have had the experiences.

So, you accumulate the experiences.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Original Quill wrote:

My feeling about money is that it can be horrible if you don't have it; but you gain nothing if you do have it.  That is why money is inevitably associated with the bad side of life...it merely gets things out of the way.  It is freedom from constraint, but...

...fredom's just another word for nothing left to lose.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTHRg_iSWzM

Life is a process, not a thing.  Money can only buy things.  When you die you won't have the "things" you acquired.  But you will have had the experiences.

So, you accumulate the experiences.

life is indeed a rich and wonderful tapestry, experiences are what make life worth living but i've lived with nothing and i've lived with plenty and the nothing is certainly the toughest...

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Hmmmm, what about Shirley Valentine? She always wanted to sit by the sea drinking wine in an exotic place, but when she actually did it, she felt a bit silly. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Hmmmm, what about Shirley Valentine? She always wanted to sit by the sea drinking wine in an exotic place, but when she actually did it, she felt a bit silly. Laughing

it's all about being confident where ever you find yourself...

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

It's cheaper to sit in your own garden though. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

The nation is one big garden, you do not even need to own something, to enjoy that feeling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

yes but while you sit in the garden you miss the other billion percent of life.... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:39 pm

The trouble is that when people are young, they think about all the things they can't buy - unless they have generous parents. They get a job, and straightaway they start to buy all the things they want. 20 years later, they're fed up because they're surrounded by clutter, and they want a nice clutter-free house.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The trouble is that when people are young, they think about all the things they can't buy - unless they have generous parents. They get a job, and straightaway they start to buy all the things they want. 20 years later, they're fed up because they're surrounded by clutter, and they want a nice clutter-free house.

been there got the tshirt..lol eventually you do get to the point where material goods don't matter but his world will not let you get far without money, make sure the stuff you have is what you need not necessarily what you want... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:The trouble is that when people are young, they think about all the things they can't buy - unless they have generous parents. They get a job, and straightaway they start to buy all the things they want. 20 years later, they're fed up because they're surrounded by clutter, and they want a nice clutter-free house.

been there got the tshirt..lol eventually you do get to the point where material goods don't matter but his world will not let you get far without money, make sure the stuff you have is what you need not necessarily what you want... Smile

Money can buy you freedom - freedom from a job you hate, so you're not tied to it until you can find another one, or whatever. It's a shame to waste money buying stuff you don't need, or spending it all on holidays which last a week or two - IMO.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:45 pm

You are picturing a poor stereotype and one that smells of envy.
Wealth should never truly be measure in love. Lobe needs no level of value
We sadly have so much time now to think, that we need entertainment.
If we allow young people to crave things, who is the bad teacher here?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:48 pm

Belatucadros wrote:

Envy?

I'm trying to get rid of clutter myself ...

It's absolutely true. People spend half their lives acquiring stuff, and the other half trying to downsize.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

Envy?

It's absolutely true. People spend half their lives acquiring stuff, and the other half trying to downsize.

Envy uis created by those who bemoan what they do not have.
If someone else is rich, what does it matter to you? Only envy would bring about such a question.
Good point on clutter. You loo to move forward, not backwards. That is a positive attribute.
My advice is to spend less time thinking about others and far more about allowing yourself to be happy. I am not knocking you, When you are free from constraints you are soaring higher than most in freedom.
So you have no reason to moan against wealth, unless that wealth is not well spent helping others

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Envy?

If someone else is rich, what does it matter to you? Only envy would bring about such a question.
Good point on clutter. You loo to move forward, not backwards. That is a positive attribute.
My advice is to spend less time thinking about others and far more about allowing yourself to be happy. I am not knocking you, When you are free from constraints you are soaring higher than most in freedom.
So you have no reason to moan against wealth, unless that wealth is not well spent helping others

I haven't complained about anyone else being rich. "What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice) 2190311264 I don't mind people being rich.

Did you actually understand my post? I said that people put a lot of value on being able to buy things, and then later on they have too much stuff and don't like all the clutter.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Envy?

or of course if that weath has been accumulated via the exploitation of others

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

I haven't complained about anyone else being rich. "What I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career" (Career advice) 2190311264 I don't mind people being rich.

Did you actually understand my post? I said that people put a lot of value on being able to buy things, and then later on they have too much stuff and don't like all the clutter.

I understand your post Rags.
Sorry but only people of envy bring up riches of others.
I agree with your post but you have envy.
It should not matter who is rich do you not agree?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Is it me? Am I not making myself clear? Did anyone read my post and think that it meant I envied rich people?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Belatucadros wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Look, I'm sorry. I really tried with you, but I simply cannot bear your crap any more.

My post was perfectly clear. I myself have acquired things that I don't need, so I really don't know what point you're making. My post was about stuff - stuff which people buy and then realise they don't need. It's nothing to do with being rich.

Don't bother to answer.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Is it me? Am I not making myself clear? Did anyone read my post and think that it meant I envied rich people?

This is your biggest fear rags, as why are you seeing recognition?
People can differ with you but you need people to agree with your view.
I see your view different, what is so scary about that to you?
That I might be right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Didge, forget it. You did this with eddie as well - read something false into a post she made.

I can't go on explaining every little thing to you.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Belatucadros wrote:

Look, I'm sorry. I really tried with you, but I simply cannot bear your crap any more.

My post was perfectly clear. I myself have acquired things that I don't need, so I really don't know what point you're making. My post was about stuff - stuff which people buy and then realise they don't need. It's nothing to do with being rich.

Don't bother to answer.

Now you act defensive, why?
There is no reason to do so, unless your point lacks merit and you are poorly trying to deflect.
You really are very touchy, why? I am intrigued.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next