NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications

+2
eddie
Tommy Monk
6 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications Empty British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications

Post by Guest Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Authorities in Australia thought they were "very ready" for a smoking ban to kick-in at a remand prison in the state of Victoria on July 1.
The ban came with 18-months notice and the government had worked with anti-smoking group Quit Victoria to tailor programs specifically for inmates. And it appeared to be working. On June 30, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported that just 10 percent of inmates would be going cold turkey when the ban came into force the following day. Previously, it was thought that 85 percent of them smoked, so if nothing else, before the ban even came into effect, authorities had cut smoking-rates by 75 percent. But that very day inmates at Ravenhall Prison chose a fitting way to let politicians in the nation's capital, Canberra, some 660km (410miles) away, know what they really thought of the ban - they sent a smoke signal. -Plumes of black smoke could be seen billowing from the correctional facility around midday, after fires were lit in cells, and outdoor wheelie bins were set ablaze. Two further fires were lit at the nearby Port Phillip Prison.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/27/riot-fears-over-uk-prison-smoking-ban_n_7879234.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Very interesting article with lots to read.
Smoking is most definately a privilege for a prisoner and I am stunned they are still allowed to smoke inside their cells.
Like everyone else throughout the UK there should be smoking areas outside for them. That would be the best compremise, but am stunned they have smoking privileges over law abiding citizens.

Back to top Go down

British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications Empty Re: British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:02 pm

If you can't have a drink in prison then why should they be allowed to smoke either?

It is not fair on the non smokers either.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications Empty Re: British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications

Post by eddie Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Well prison isn't supposed to be a holiday so if they can't smoke then hey ho!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:32 pm

I hope the prisoners burn it down
Pollies have to learn people are not numbers to be forced into little boxes
these people are in there because they disagree with societies rules. Society has too many rules....
some moron pollies think everyone will just take it well I hope they like to watch it burn.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:00 am

veya_victaous wrote:I hope the prisoners burn it down
Pollies have to learn people are not numbers to be forced into little boxes
these people are in there because they disagree with societies rules. Society has too many rules....
some moron pollies think everyone will just take it well I hope they like to watch it burn.

WTF???????????????????????????????????????????????????
Cuckooo.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:27 am

yes well trust you to be on the side of idiots

take people that DO NOT CARE WHAT SOCIETY TELLS THEM and are quite often violent
and say stop this highly addictive activity cold turkey and expect No push back

The people in the wrong are whoever though that would work
what leads most revolutions? the prisoners rights (from the Bastille to the magna carta) because the leaders and the criminals are the same type of people.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:29 am

veya_victaous wrote:yes well trust you to be on the side of idiots

take people that DO NOT CARE WHAT SOCIETY TELLS THEM and are quite often violent
and say stop this highly addictive activity cold turkey and expect No push back

The people in the wrong are whoever though that would work
what leads most revolutions? the prisoners rights (from the Bastille to the magna carta) because the leaders and the criminals are the same type of people.

They are criminals who have broken the law, which you now think criminals should have better rights than law abiding citizens.
One word.
Cuckoo.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:10 am

you go to jail for stealing $20 but not for embezzlement of 20 million FUCK THE LAW it is not justice.

Most pollies deserve to be in there more than most people in there
you think i support regular citizen having to put up with pollies Suspect Suspect
we literally have a minister that is in trouble but didn't "actually do anything wrong" that has spent $10,000's on luxury transport for non-gov't purposes, it not a crime for a pollie to take 10,000's of dollars in limos and helicopters in a week..

Prisoners just have nothing left to lose, they never agreed to the laws to begin with they were born in a area so and by that alone they have to follow the injustice system for not other reason than the violence of the gov't and it's employees
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:12 am

Fuck the law?
There is all the evidence you need that Veya is a complete ---- who wants criminals to have better rights than law abiding citizens. Not only that you give no thought to those who do not smoke and have to take in passive smoke to allow some criminals a privalige to smoke, typical left wing idiot.

Revolution you say, good please start one and when you get shot dead we can all cheer at your death you ----.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:31 am

and there is man that though he could threaten me Yet
Likes the law
OK Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Only fucking snitches go to the cops. I grew up knowing you never do such things, never trust a pigger.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:34 am

veya_victaous wrote:and there is man that though he could threaten me Yet
Likes the law
OK Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Only fucking snitches go to the cops. I grew up knowing you never do such things, never trust a pigger.

No I just want you to start a revolution that you keep craping on about and with any luck you will have what little brains you have blown out of your head. That will be a very sweet day indeed.
Laughing
In your case I am happy to go to jail, it would be my pleausre and would be happy to take my punishment for an act that would be of service to the world, ridding it of a complete idiot
Laughing

I see you have no response to the points made, which is typical left wing stupidity of course

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:01 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disability-related_terms_with_negative_connotations

I can take anything thrown at me but I will not stand by and allow such mocking of people.

People with dignity and respect show humility and apologise what they know they have said is wrong.

Sadly some people are just utter ---- as seen

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:02 am

passive smoking is not a point, segregate by smoking preference, solved.

The fact that Regular citizens gave up right so easily is exactly why people like you go against the wall in any revolution too concerned with sucking master cock to worry about what is right an wrong. You throw away freedoms you actually debate the potion that we should give up all freedom for temporary safety and you now complain that you are missing rights?
Dumb ass, what the fuck did you think would happen? Or but you were terrified of Muslim terrorists?? that's why you gave everything away.

I have said it before, I would not fear a man as cowardly as you, I have no reason to.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:06 am

I do not fear anyone, never have being as I have had my life threatened by Irish terrorists.
So it just proves what a complete idiot you are as I am not scared of Muslim terrorists either.

We have laws and if you break them you lose your rights.
They can smoke outside not in their cells which effects everyone with passive smoke.

That is my last post to you ever untill you learn some dignity and humility and apologise for being a ----

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:05 am

not going to happen, not for you
so you may as well put me on ignore

Even asking it when you post such terrible things to people says how pathetic you are.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:50 am

British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications Zorro1
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:35 am

I suppose the issue is whether you not you consider a cell to be someone's "home". Those who are not in prison are free to smoke in their own homes.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:37 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I suppose the issue is whether you not you consider a cell to be someone's "home". Those who are not in prison are free to smoke in their own homes.

Is everyone allowed to smoke in what they would class as their own home?
No as people rent and share.
They get better rights than law abiding smokers and that is not equality

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:41 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I suppose the issue is whether you not you consider a cell to be someone's "home". Those who are not in prison are free to smoke in their own homes.

I don't think it's against the law to smoke in a house that you share with others. It might be a bit inconsiderate and it might be against the rental agreement, but that's not the same.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:42 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

I don't think it's against the law to smoke in a house that you share with others. It might be a bit inconsiderate and it might be against the rental agreement, but that's not the same.

Most rented accomadations are non-smoking.
A cell is not for one person as well when they are shared, so a non-smoker has to take in passive smoke and they are not family are they.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:45 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

A cell is not for one person as well when they are shared, so a non-smoker has to take in passive smoke and they are not family are they.

Whether most are non-smoking or not is not the point. That would be an issue regarding the tenancy agreement, not the law.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:46 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Whether most are non-smoking or not is not the point. That would be an issue regarding the tenancy agreement, not the law.

Irrelevant

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:49 am

People in prison will probably say they can't just go outside like anyone can - they have set times don't they?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:50 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications Zorro1

That picture is worse than the arguments. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:52 am

Cuchulain wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disability-related_terms_with_negative_connotations

I can take anything thrown at me but I will not stand by and allow such mocking of people.

People with dignity and respect show humility and apologise what they know they have said is wrong.

Night

They missed off "cuckoo", and also the word "looney" is there - is that not pretty much the same as "loon"?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:00 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disability-related_terms_with_negative_connotations

Night

They missed off "cuckoo", and also the word "looney" is there - is that not pretty much the same as "loon"?

And you are still trying to pick a fight

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:05 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Why? Are you going to threaten me?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:06 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Again you are trying to pick a fight, you seem to thrive on them, which is very disconcerting

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:08 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Again you are trying to pick a fight, you seem to thrive on them, which is very disconcerting

Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:09 am

No denial then and just as I suspected.
Which leads to my other conclusions being right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:09 am

Cuchulain wrote:No denial then and just as I suspected.

I'm laughing at your total lack of self-awareness Didge. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:14 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:No denial then and just as I suspected.

Laughing at yourself now, even more disconcerting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:15 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Do you know what the word "your" means Didge?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:17 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Needing reassurance on the meaning of English words, even more disconcerting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:42 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Does he know what 'disconcerting' means? You are 'unsettling' him? Isn't that what you are trying to do lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:44 am

sassy wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Does he know what 'disconcerting' means?   You are 'unsettling' him?   Isn't that what you are trying to do lol!

Point so far above sassy's capcity to think its not even worth explaining lol

Even rags cottened on

Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Doubt very much it will come into force here. They will get a shock if they do.
Veya is right they couldn't implement this without a hell of a push back.
All of you saying prison isn't a holiday camp, why should they be allowed to smoke etc are not the ones who would have to control a prison full of offenders some violent who can't have a ciggie. Massively understaffed as it is, they couldn't cope. It's just another meaningless sound bite policy from a piss poor shower of chancers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Think that about summed it up Nems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Nems wrote:Doubt very much it will come into force here. They will get a shock if they do.
All of you saying prison isn't a holiday camp, why should they be allowed to smoke etc are not the ones who would have to control a prison full of offenders some violent who can't have a ciggie. Massively understaffed as it is, they couldn't cope. It's just another meaningless sound bite policy from a piss poor shower of chancers.

Which is giving into fear and that the prisoners have control.
That is allowing then prisoners to know they can use fear to their advantage.
They should not be allowed to smoke inside anyway because of passive smoke
To me you offer them a facility outside the prison.
They have committed crimes, which rightly denies them rights and smoking is a privildge, nothing more.
If you take the view of fear then you have no control from the start and that is not the way forward. it means going backwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Nems wrote:Doubt very much it will come into force here. They will get a shock if they do.

They have committed crimes, which rightly denies them rights and smoking is a privildge, nothing more.
If you take the view of fear then you have no control from the start and that is not the way forward. it means going backwards.

All very well in theory. Sadly there is not the staff for it to happen.
I'm amazed that you think are prisons are under control. It's nothing to do with fear but with keeping the lid on and the prisoners fairly calm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Nems wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

I'm amazed that you think are prisons are under control. It's nothing to do with fear but with keeping the lid on and the prisoners fairly calm.

Have never claimed they are under control, as one of my best mates has worked in two different prisons for over 20 years. So I do get to hear first hand many of the problems.
They need more staff Nems. I agree they are already under staffed which is an issue and if this is to be implemented it does need more staff. Sorry but I am not a proponent of backing down to fear. The fact is passive smoking is a problem, which does not automtically give the right of a smoker to smoke where it does harm and effect others. You are superceding health risks here to risks of violence, of which the later should never be a reality where people have commited crimes and been convicted. It has every thing to do with bowing down to fear, you have just arguied they will rise up against such a policy. That is using a fear based argument, as there is a supposed consequence in your view.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Nems wrote:

I

Have never claimed they are under control, as one of my best mates has worked in two different prisons for over 20 years. So I do get to hear first hand many of the problems.
They need more staff Nems.
I agree they are already under staffed which is an issue and if this is to be implemented it does need more staff. Sorry but I am not a proponent of backing down to fear. The fact is passive smoking is a problem, which does not automtically give the right of a smoker to smoke where it does harm and effect others. You are superceding health risks here to risks of violence, of which the later should never be a reality where people have commited crimes and been convicted. It has every thing to do with bowing down to fear, you have just arguied they will rise up against such a policy. That is using a fear based argument, as there is a supposed consequence in your view.

All very well to be hard line and refuse to bow down when it's not your life on the line. Go get a job as a PCO then tell me we can't bow down to fear. Ever been in a prison?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Should be able to have a couple of drinks too...!?

Laughing
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Nems wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

They need more staff Nems.
I agree they are already under staffed which is an issue and if this is to be implemented it does need more staff. Sorry but I am not a proponent of backing down to fear. The fact is passive smoking is a problem, which does not automtically give the right of a smoker to smoke where it does harm and effect others. You are superceding health risks here to risks of violence, of which the later should never be a reality where people have commited crimes and been convicted. It has every thing to do with bowing down to fear, you have just arguied they will rise up against such a policy. That is using a fear based argument, as there is a supposed consequence in your view.

All very well to be hard line and refuse to bow down when it's not your life on the line. Go get a job as a PCO then tell me we can't bow down to fear. Ever been in a prison?

Pathetic reply.
Not one even worth entertaining.
If you wish to have serious debate then have one that is not made from daft points.
Again you place fear of violence over the risks of health.
If the problem is a shortage of staff, then that should be reconcilled, not a view to think some prisoners can do as they please if the view is they will cause disruption where them smoking places the health of others at risk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:27 pm

take a leaf out of the dutch prison authorities

they allow their prisoners a ration of cannabis

keeps em "chilled man"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:31 pm

victorismyhero wrote:take a leaf out of the dutch prison authorities

they allow their prisoners a ration of cannabis

keeps em "chilled man"

Sounds reasonable.

Still a form of subduing mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Nems wrote:

Pathetic reply.
If you wish to have serious debate then have one that is not made from daft points.
If the problem is a shortage of staff, then that should be reconcilled, not a view to think some prisoners can do as they please if the view is they will cause disruption where them smoking places the health of others at risk

Ah he is being rude. No he hasn't been in a prison but he has read a book on passive smoking lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Nems wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:

Pathetic reply.

Ah he is being rude. No he hasn't been in a prison but he has read a book on passive smoking lol

If you act stupid i will call you out as so.
You wanted to know if I have served time when I have already stated that I have.
You want to make it personal and I have some daft scatty mornaic woman try and tell me about prison.
Priclesss stupidity

I was done and served six months for the stupidity of footie violence

Does that make your fucking day you prat?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:53 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Nems wrote:

If you act stupid i will call you out as so.
You wanted to know if I have served time when I have already stated that I have.
You want to make it personal and I have some daft scatty mornaic woman try and tell me about prison.
Priclesss stupidity

I was done and served six months for the stupidity of footie violence

Does that make your fucking day you prat?

Wow actually I didn't know you had been in prison, I wouldn't have said that if I had known. I rarely take much notice of what you say I certainly don't store it up. You have made my night though, a fucking thug sent to prison over football violence and you have the fucking audacity to try and Lord it on chat forums.
Don't know what a morn aid is but I know what a thug is. Hahahaha
All together now
"the warden threw a party in the county jail"

Razz lol! lol! British Prison Smoking Ban Riot Fears As 'Stability' Concerns Overshadow Health Implications 479860004

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:05 pm

Isn't is fair to say that prisoners should have less rights than non-offenders through?
If the smoking in their cells is affecting staff then why shouldn't it be abolished?

The same laws should be applied to prisons as it is to any public place.

So what if they riot? Should there be a backdown 'just in case they riot'?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next