NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

+11
Original Quill
Eilzel
Tommy Monk
Vintage
JulesV
Syl
Victorismyhero
eddie
Maddog
HoratioTarr
Ben Reilly
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 2 Empty My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I'm landing at Heathrow on Sunday and I'll be staying for more than two freakin' months!

I'll use this space to keep everybody posted on my scintillating observations. It should be eminently ignorable!

Anyway, I already know what "tosser" and "wanker" means thanks to having a British wife, so I think I've got a real leg up.

Just don't fancy muckin' about with all them apples and pears, do I?

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 2 2108625937 My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 2 2035286543
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 2 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Eilzel Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:32 am

Man-flu is no laughing matter, Eds should take care of you, women just don't suffer the way we do with a cold Laughing

Anyway, glad you got that off your chest, Ben (not the man-flu, that shit takes a while...). Sometimes putting feelings in writing works wonders Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 2 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by eddie Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Syl wrote:Ben, it takes guts to be so open, I really really admire that. It's often easier for women to share personal stuff, you doing it is a real breath of fresh air.

Anyway.....it seems Eddies niece likes you warts an all.

It's hard being with someone 24/7 when you are both not used to it, people have to adjust to one another....but I bet the good times are far outweighing the bumpy times.
You still have weeks together to have more rows and more fun....enjoy. cheers

Ben and I have a fiery, passionate kind of thing, we always have. I wouldn’t change it for the world. We are also just two children who cannot seem to stay still...and I guess that includes our moods.

Four seasons in one day.

The thing I like the most is that neither of us are sulkers and neither of us harbour grudges.
As for his honest post...I think I may be rubbing off on him a little and really, I think it’s great when we can be honest with others on an open forum.

Honesty is where real human relationships start. What do you have without it?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Eilzel wrote:Man-flu is no laughing matter, Eds should take care of you, women just don't suffer the way we do with a cold Laughing

Anyway, glad you got that off your chest, Ben (not the man-flu, that shit takes a while...). Sometimes putting feelings in writing works wonders Smile

I am taking care of him, I feed him well and provide him with whiskey. He’s actually a lot better than he was and is soldiering on through the “man flu” and jet lag.

He isn’t great at sleeping though (insomnia tings) and he’s one of those annoying people that starts cheerily talking to you the minute you wake up and I often feel like punching him because I bloody hate waking up.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:55 pm

No matter. Does he fart in bed? Shocked

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 2 1363015401

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Original Quill wrote:No matter.  Does he fart in bed? Shocked

She told me that everyone does that. Don't they??!!!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:16 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Ben, it takes guts to be so open, I really really admire that. It's often easier for women to share personal stuff, you doing it is a real breath of fresh air.

Anyway.....it seems Eddies niece likes you warts an all.

It's hard being with someone 24/7 when you are both not used to it, people have to adjust to one another....but I bet the good times are far outweighing the bumpy times.
You still have weeks together to have more rows and more fun....enjoy. cheers

Ben and I have a fiery, passionate kind of thing, we always have. I wouldn’t change it for the world. We are also just two children who cannot seem to stay still...and I guess that includes our moods.

Four seasons in one day.

The thing I like the most is that neither of us are sulkers and neither of us harbour grudges.
As for his honest post...I think I may be rubbing off on him a little and really, I think it’s great when we can be honest with others on an open forum.

Honesty is where real human relationships start. What do you have without it?

I also think it's a nice thing to be open on the  forum, I know it's not for everyone, and i get told off sometimes for saying some of the things i say on forums, posting photo's etc, but I think if it's your natiure to be open and honest, why should you be different on a forum, especially when you consider a lot of the posters your online mates.

And as for having a fiery relationship, good for you.
Far better to have a passionate relationship that sometimes ends in a row than a placid one where no one can get excited enough to get mad at one another.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:24 pm

eddie wrote:
Eilzel wrote:Man-flu is no laughing matter, Eds should take care of you, women just don't suffer the way we do with a cold Laughing

I am taking care of him, I feed him well and provide him with whiskey. He’s actually a lot better than he was and is soldiering on through the “man flu” and jet lag.

He isn’t great at sleeping though (insomnia tings) and he’s one of those annoying people that starts cheerily talking to you the minute you wake up and I often feel like punching him because I bloody hate waking up.

He to hear you're soldiering through, Ben. You have my sympathies Laughing

As for the waking up cheery, and you hating it, sounds like me and my other half. Waking him is like waking the dead, while up in a flash all about plans for the day sunny
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:12 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

That's good. If she doesn't kick you out, it's the ultimate test of a marriage. Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:15 am

eddie and ben

no matter how much you fight, just remember to say this every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFX5Cc3s0Es

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 pm

So yeah, that whole "man flu" thing turned out to be a sinus infection ... Edds and I agreed that I needed to seek medical treatment.

I could have gone to the local NHS building but edds warned that the wait could be really long, and almost on cue, we got this "amber" warning that there were 72 people waiting to be seen at the nearest NHS building. So after some deliberation, we fell on me visiting a private hospital.

First off, the appointment was set for a mere six or seven hours later. I was seen promptly and got my antibiotics prescription. But! I didn't think to get insurance before I left. I know, dumb, right?

Well. Converting to dollars, my appointment and medicine came to a whopping $125. (About 100 pounds.)

Now, I'm sure British people here would be appalled to pay that much for a doctor visit and a prescription, but I'll appeal to our American members here:

Even if you have insurance, isn't getting a doctor's consultation and medicine for $125 a hell of a deal?

And that's the point of this post: America's health care system is so shitty that I can still get a better deal from the English private sector, without insurance, than I can get from the American system with insurance.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:57 pm

gelico wrote:

eddie and ben

no matter how much you fight, just remember to say this every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFX5Cc3s0Es

Thanks, gels. Truthfully (hits e-cig) things like that can really throw me off my game and make me feel like I'm not my best self.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So yeah, that whole "man flu" thing turned out to be a sinus infection ... Edds and I agreed that I needed to seek medical treatment.

I could have gone to the local NHS building but edds warned that the wait could be really long, and almost on cue, we got this "amber" warning that there were 72 people waiting to be seen at the nearest NHS building. So after some deliberation, we fell on me visiting a private hospital.

First off, the appointment was set for a mere six or seven hours later. I was seen promptly and got my antibiotics prescription. But! I didn't think to get insurance before I left. I know, dumb, right?

Well. Converting to dollars, my appointment and medicine came to a whopping $125. (About 100 pounds.)

Now, I'm sure British people here would be appalled to pay that much for a doctor visit and a prescription, but I'll appeal to our American members here:

Even if you have insurance, isn't getting a doctor's consultation and medicine for $125 a hell of a deal?

And that's the point of this post: America's health care system is so shitty that I can still get a better deal from the English private sector, without insurance, than I can get from the American system with insurance.

Wow. For the record, how much would you have expected to pay in America (with insurance).

This is funny, cause I listen to some American conservatives say how much better US healthcare is compared with the NHS (which is already debatable) but they never compare with the private alternatives in other countries.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:03 am

Eilzel wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So yeah, that whole "man flu" thing turned out to be a sinus infection ... Edds and I agreed that I needed to seek medical treatment.

Wow. For the record, how much would you have expected to pay in America (with insurance).

This is funny, cause I listen to some American conservatives say how much better US healthcare is compared with the NHS (which is already debatable) but they never compare with the private alternatives in other countries.

I would normally expect to pay $25 to $50 more in the U.S., actually. And it's rare to get a same-day appointment for a non-emergency - when I missed a thyroid check-up in August, I had to wait until December to get it rescheduled.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:05 am

Original Quill wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

That's good.  If she doesn't kick you out, it's the ultimate test of a marriage.  Twisted Evil

Yeah well, I do suffer from “raw mushroom breath” a lot...and he’s pretty okay with it.
Mind you, I am a little obsessed with teeth-brushing, I brush my teeth A LOT.
It’s a weird thing that I have.
Seriously.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:07 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

I would normally expect to pay $25 to $50 more in the U.S., actually. And it's rare to get a same-day appointment for a non-emergency - when I missed a thyroid check-up in August, I had to wait until December to get it rescheduled.

That's quite a bit higher, actually. Sounds like private healthcare in the US is actually only marginally better than the NHS but a tonne more expensive (not surprising if everyone has to use it). It is staggering how many ordinary Americans are actually convinced theirs is a better system.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 am

Why didn't you use NHS direct on 111? Perhaps you can't if you don't have a GP. If you're in England for a short visit but need to see a GP, you can register as a temporary patient with a local doctor. You need to be in the area for more than 24 hours but less than 3 months. Might be worth doing for the duration of your stay.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:09 am

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

That's good.  If she doesn't kick you out, it's the ultimate test of a marriage.  Twisted Evil

Yeah well, I do suffer from “raw mushroom breath” a lot...and he’s pretty okay with it.
Seriously.

Somehow, some way, I got used to the smell of dirt mixed with metal. Don't ask me how; chalk it up to the power of love Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:12 am

HoratioTarr wrote:

Why didn't you use NHS direct on 111?  Perhaps you can't if you don't have a GP.   If you're in England for a short visit but need to see a GP, you can register as a temporary patient with a local doctor. You need to be in the area for more than 24 hours but less than 3 months.  Might be worth doing for the duration of your stay.

Tried all of that but the private doctor was the only way to go.
And obviously, just before he left to go, he said “I kinda feel a bit better...?”

Question
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:14 am

eddie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Why didn't you use NHS direct on 111?  Perhaps you can't if you don't have a GP.   If you're in England for a short visit but need to see a GP, you can register as a temporary patient with a local doctor. You need to be in the area for more than 24 hours but less than 3 months.  Might be worth doing for the duration of your stay.

Tried all of that but the private doctor was the only way to go.
And obviously, just before he left to go, he said “I kinda feel a bit better...?”

Question

Yeah, cause dude, it makes you feel better to do something about your problems Rolling Eyes Razz
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:14 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

Seriously.

Somehow, some way, I got used to the smell of dirt mixed with metal. Don't ask me how; chalk it up to the power of love Smile

Dude. There’s no metal in mushrooms? What?
But yeah, you are very accomadating in my erm...food fetishes. I do eat some weird stuff.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:23 pm

Picked up my stepdaughter from school today, that was a first for me and I really enjoyed it. When I told her we were getting pizza for dinner, she screamed with joy, and when I told her I'd forgotten my wallet at home and we'd have to stop there first, she still insisted on coming along with me even though it's freezing cold and snowy around here today.

She soaked her gloves through on the way throwing snowballs at me, so I lent her mine for the rest of the trip, and while we were waiting on our pizzas, she charmed this builder who I got to talking to. We got to the topic of how cold it is in the U.S. and he actually said "core blimey," which was fun for me. Good guy.

I've gotten to the point when meeting new people that I've stopped worrying about the initial reaction to my accent and just talk normally. It's weird because I've never really had an accent until now. But eddie's just reminded me of how much Americans love her accent when she visits. We think the English accent (for the most part) sounds very attractive and often sophisticated or intelligent, I think because we get a lot of documentaries narrated by British voices.

So we finally got the pizza home - everyone was starving - and edds and I, along with my stepdaughter and son, descended upon it like a pack of slobbering wolves. I think edds had at least 10 slices of veggie pizza. Me and my stepson (he's 17) put a hurting on a large meat pizza and a 14-piece chicken stripper pack (what a horrible name btw), negotiating toward the end over who would eat what.

Edds was then stooping to pick up the empty boxes and literally popped her zipper. Our girl got really giggly and funny. It was just a great night with my family.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 pm

I put on 17 stone after eating all that.
No one had any sympathy for me. No
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Picked up my stepdaughter from school today, that was a first for me and I really enjoyed it. When I told her we were getting pizza for dinner, she screamed with joy, and when I told her I'd forgotten my wallet at home and we'd have to stop there first, she still insisted on coming along with me even though it's freezing cold and snowy around here today.

She soaked her gloves through on the way throwing snowballs at me, so I lent her mine for the rest of the trip, and while we were waiting on our pizzas, she charmed this builder who I got to talking to. We got to the topic of how cold it is in the U.S. and he actually said "core blimey," which was fun for me. Good guy.

I've gotten to the point when meeting new people that I've stopped worrying about the initial reaction to my accent and just talk normally. It's weird because I've never really had an accent until now. But eddie's just reminded me of how much Americans love her accent when she visits. We think the English accent (for the most part) sounds very attractive and often sophisticated or intelligent, I think because we get a lot of documentaries narrated by British voices.

So we finally got the pizza home - everyone was starving - and edds and I, along with my stepdaughter and son, descended upon it like a pack of slobbering wolves. I think edds had at least 10 slices of veggie pizza. Me and my stepson (he's 17) put a hurting on a large meat pizza and a 14-piece chicken stripper pack (what a horrible name btw), negotiating toward the end over who would eat what.

Edds was then stooping to pick up the empty boxes and literally popped her zipper. Our girl got really giggly and funny. It was just a great night with my family.

Beautiful.

I love to hear such personal stories, how people interact, spending their time together.

That is what you should write a book on.
Like many years ago, the "Adrian Mole diaries".

You should write one, called, "The diary of a Texan in England"

With the above and reality in how it helps bring people closer to how people live their lives. To me would be a huge success mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Thor wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Picked up my stepdaughter from school today, that was a first for me and I really enjoyed it. When I told her we were getting pizza for dinner, she screamed with joy, and when I told her I'd forgotten my wallet at home and we'd have to stop there first, she still insisted on coming along with me even though it's freezing cold and snowy around here today.

Beautiful.

I love to hear such personal stories, how people interact, spending their time together.

With the above and reality in how it helps bring people closer to how people live their lives. To me would be a huge success mate.

Thanks, man. I'm thinking I'll definitely have to do more with this. Maybe when edds and I start trying to get people to tell our story in the media.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Thor wrote:

Beautiful.

Thanks, man. I'm thinking I'll definitely have to do more with this. Maybe when edds and I start trying to get people to tell our story in the media.

I think this is what people more than anything love to read. I love reading history, but within that history, I love to hear the personnal tales of people, now even long gone. Their memmory is enshrined in what they said and was put to paper. To me people love the fine details of people. The idiosyncrasies to me, is what makes each person special and how you can bring them alive, simple through words mate.

I hope you continue to share your story here Ben. I certainly love to read and in  part and in a way get to share the pain, frustrations, love etc that you have. As you are able to bring this to life through writing about your experinces. That is what really gets to the heart of people. As it helps them tune into how they also can feel in any given situation. It helps them center on their empathic intelligence. To then place themselves in  your shoes. That is why your honesty here. No matter when you feel you have done right or wrong. Helps people humanize and understand what you are both going through.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:05 pm

I agree, mind I'm a sucker for happy families. I just wish I could think of something for you in regard of permanent residence at least. I've been reading up but to no avail so far, the whole thing is a nightmare to plough through, what's the thing with leave to stay for spouses for 33 months and possible further extensions, it looks like you may not be able to work but I don't know for sure, its not really clear, it states that you have to be able to support the incomer by themselves or between you, maybe that's the same condition as the £18,000?.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 pm

Vintage wrote:I agree, mind I'm a sucker for happy families. I just wish I could think of something for you in regard of permanent residence at least. I've been reading up but to no avail so far, the whole thing is a nightmare to plough through, what's the thing with leave to stay for spouses for 33 months and possible further extensions, it looks like you may not  be able to work but I don't know for sure, its not really clear, it states that you have to be able to support the incomer by themselves or between you, maybe that's the same condition as the £18,000?.

I don't know but I'll look into it, and more importantly, you don't know how floored I am by the fact that you're spending your time and energy trying to help us. Thank you so incredibly much.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:14 pm

No problem, I'll keep looking, there must be exceptions.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:18 pm

Vintage wrote:No problem, I'll keep looking, there must be exceptions.

Thank you so much, you are really a lovely lady.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:23 pm

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/visas-family-and-friends/getting-a-visa-for-your-partner-to-live-in-the-uk/
This is what I was looking at. I don't know if its helpful.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:27 pm

Vintage wrote:https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/visas-family-and-friends/getting-a-visa-for-your-partner-to-live-in-the-uk/
This is what I was looking at. I don't know if its helpful.

Thank you. I’ve saved it and will take a look at it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:19 am

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:24 am

Basically... you must go live in another EU country for 6 months and have your spouse live there with you... then you can both move into the UK as EU citizens and stay/live/work for as long as you like...!!!

This has been going on for years... and is the reason why non eu immigration levels has been so high and as yet uncontrollable while we remain in the EU...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Eddie and I had a great night out with some friends recently (England vs. Ireland in rugby; Ireland got slaughtered). One of our Irish friends gave me a 28-year-old Ireland World Cup scarf; had to check with him twice on whether he was serious, but it's mine now.

One thing that came up was the Super Bowl, and I found it surprising that two of the guys were interested in it since I often don't watch it or even know who's playing, but they told me about the concept of "Super Bowl Monday" where English people stay up late watching the game and getting drunk, then call in sick on the following Monday. I'll tell you this, I wouldn't stay up late to watch that damn game, especially when Tom Brady and his cheating-ass New England Patriots are in it.

The next day we spent in two pubs; that was a first for me but it was a lot of fun for a low-energy day. Got to see another neighboring town and go to a little girls' party; sadly mine and eddies' is not a very good go-kart driver.

I keep finding myself in the middle of a perfectly normal situation and having to choke back tears of how grateful I am for every second I get of this.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 pm

The rugby six nations is a fantastic tournament, I get right into it myself, although I usually don't follow rugby for any other time of the year...

And I'm really glad that you are having a brilliant time here in UK, and I think it's especially great how you are enjoying being in the warm and friendly company of my fellow Brits and our Irish cousins!

This is how the overwhelming vast majority of us Brits and Irish are here!

Good on ya Benny boy!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

I'm loving these little accounts of your experiences in England, Ben. Please keep putting them up.

ps, gratitude is a very powerful emotion for getting more good things to happen

xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:41 pm

Tommy, gels, thank you so much. The warmth is very real and it's incredible. From the two of you as well.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:47 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Tommy, gels, thank you so much. The warmth is very real and it's incredible. From the two of you as well.

say what now?

you sound surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:48 pm

gelico wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Tommy, gels, thank you so much. The warmth is very real and it's incredible. From the two of you as well.

say what now?

you sound surprised

Not surprised at all Smile I just mean, thanks.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 pm

gelico wrote:

say what now?

you sound surprised

He sounds a bit surprised by all of it, tbh...!

Although, very pleasantly surprised, I must add...!

Maybe this is because he is actually seeing, first hand, the reality of what us Brits are all about... and his previously held US based misconceptions and stereotypical perceptions of us are being smashed to bits...!?

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:02 pm

Actually, my brother came here years ago and had many similar experiences. England's great and I like it here, but I have to say that it was stuff posted by other English here that changed my thinking Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:48 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Actually, my brother came here years ago and had many similar experiences. England's great and I like it here, but I have to say that it was stuff posted by other English here that changed my thinking Smile

Well... get used to it... cos what I post is what the majority of Brits are really thinking...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:09 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Actually, my brother came here years ago and had many similar experiences. England's great and I like it here, but I have to say that it was stuff posted by other English here that changed my thinking Smile

It's not unusual right? Even in the US. Aren't the deep southern states known for their amazing hospitality, yet most go out and vote for pussy-grabbing Trump and would vote to deny the rights of people different from themselves?

Most people in most countries I've been to are inately lovely face to face - but the internet brings bubbling animosity out in the worst way no matter where you are.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:49 am

I think that everyone would be more than happy in support of everyone having right's in their own countries...

But not in favour of everyone from the world having the right to just turn up and expect to be able to live in our own country...

If you want things to be better in your own country... then make it better yourselves!!!

You don't make anything better by just flooding into another country that you think is better, but then ruining it by the huge numbers flooding into it...!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 am

eddie wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

Dude.  There’s no metal in mushrooms? What?
But yeah, you are very accomadating in my erm...food fetishes. I do eat some weird stuff.

Arrow

I think you will find that there are plenty of metals in mushies, in trace amounts...

To wit : Iron, copper, sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, zinc, selenium, mercury, thallium, arsenic, manganese, etc..
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Eddie and I had a great night out with some friends recently (England vs. Ireland in rugby; Ireland got slaughtered). One of our Irish friends gave me a 28-year-old Ireland World Cup scarf; had to check with him twice on whether he was serious, but it's mine now.

One thing that came up was the Super Bowl, and I found it surprising that two of the guys were interested in it since I often don't watch it or even know who's playing, but they told me about the concept of "Super Bowl Monday" where English people stay up late watching the game and getting drunk, then call in sick on the following Monday. I'll tell you this, I wouldn't stay up late to  watch that damn game, especially when Tom Brady and his cheating-ass New England Patriots are in it.

The next day we spent in two pubs; that was a first for me but it was a lot of fun for a low-energy day. Got to see another neighboring town and go to a little girls' party; sadly mine and eddies' is not a very good go-kart driver.

I keep finding myself in the middle of a perfectly normal situation and having to choke back tears of how grateful I am for every second I get of this.

Like Gels said, it's really nice to hear of your latest comings and goings Ben, and I'm so happy you are having a great time.
Sometimes the most ordinary happenings are special...they are the ones that we store in our memory banks, something to replay for when we feel down about something.
I always think if we dont have bad times we cant appreciate the good times, it sounds like you are appreciating every minute spent here, and they will see you through till the day when you are here for good.

I know it may sound trite (sorry) but I am a firm believer in if you want something bad enough you will get it eventually.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:21 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
eddie wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:

Dude.  There’s no metal in mushrooms? What?

Arrow

I think you will find that there are plenty of metals in mushies, in trace amounts...

To wit :  Iron, copper, sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, zinc, selenium, mercury, thallium, arsenic, manganese, etc..

Well. I stand corrected. They are incredibly good for you though.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:23 pm

Syl wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Eddie and I had a great night out with some friends recently (England vs. Ireland in rugby; Ireland got slaughtered). One of our Irish friends gave me a 28-year-old Ireland World Cup scarf; had to check with him twice on whether he was serious, but it's mine now.

One thing that came up was the Super Bowl, and I found it surprising that two of the guys were interested in it since I often don't watch it or even know who's playing, but they told me about the concept of "Super Bowl Monday" where English people stay up late watching the game and getting drunk, then call in sick on the following Monday. I'll tell you this, I wouldn't stay up late to  watch that damn game, especially when Tom Brady and his cheating-ass New England Patriots are in it.

Like Gels said, it's really nice to hear of your latest comings and goings Ben, and I'm so happy you are having a great time.
Sometimes the most ordinary happenings are special...they are the ones that we store in our memory banks, something to replay for when we feel down about something.
I always think if we dont have bad times we cant appreciate the good times, it sounds like you are appreciating every minute spent here, and they will see you through till the day when you are here for good.

I know it may sound trite (sorry) but I am a firm believer in if you want something bad enough you will get it eventually.

I have a very special bunch of friends, I sort of surround myself with people who are odd, open, extremely honest and unique.
He fits in rather well.

I know we will get what we want eventually. Thank you Syl.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Syl wrote:

Thanks Syl, I totally agree.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next