NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

+11
Original Quill
Eilzel
Tommy Monk
Vintage
JulesV
Syl
Victorismyhero
eddie
Maddog
HoratioTarr
Ben Reilly
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! Empty My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:45 pm

So I'm landing at Heathrow on Sunday and I'll be staying for more than two freakin' months!

I'll use this space to keep everybody posted on my scintillating observations. It should be eminently ignorable!

Anyway, I already know what "tosser" and "wanker" means thanks to having a British wife, so I think I've got a real leg up.

Just don't fancy muckin' about with all them apples and pears, do I?

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! 2108625937 My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! 2035286543
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:54 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So I'm landing at Heathrow on Sunday and I'll be staying for more than two freakin' months!

I'll use this space to keep everybody posted on my scintillating observations. It should be eminently ignorable!

Anyway, I already know what "tosser" and "wanker" means thanks to having a British wife, so I think I've got a real leg up.

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! 2108625937 My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! 2035286543  

I guess there'll be lots of scampering up and down the apples and pears in pursuit of Percy Filth for the first few days?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So I'm landing at Heathrow on Sunday and I'll be staying for more than two freakin' months!

I will buy you a pint of ale and see if you like British ale when here... Laughing

Really happy for you both, that you can be together

Stay gold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Keep that Texan thing on the downlow, until you get through customs or they may not let you in.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

I guess there'll be lots of scampering up and down the apples and pears in pursuit of Percy Filth for the first few days?

Well the bedroom's on the third floor, but there's also the front room, the kitchen and the stairs themselves, for that matter!

Embarassed
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Thor wrote:

I will buy you a pint of ale and see if you like British ale when here... Laughing

Stay gold

That would be great! I think I do already like it though Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Maddog wrote:Keep that Texan thing on the downlow, until you get through customs or they may not let you in.

Oh, they like us there, you should visit if you never have!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:07 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Thor wrote:

Stay gold

That would be great! I think I do already like it though Smile

lol, well I guess you have been acclimatized already then....Thanks to Eddie.... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Well the bedroom's on the third floor, but there's also the front room, the kitchen and the stairs themselves, for that matter!

Embarassed

HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Hahahahaha haven’t heard that in years!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Ben, theres too much sex on the telly these days as it is......go do it on the kitchen table.....

you can have a "table ender" for breakfast Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Ben, theres too much sex on the telly these days as it is......go do it on the kitchen table.....

you can have a "table ender" for breakfast Laughing

A table ender? Sounds like a piece of equipment you may have used in the 1950’s.

scratch
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:45 pm

I doubt we will hear much from either of you for a few days then. I love you
Enjoy yourselves.x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 pm

Syl wrote:I doubt we will hear much from either of you for a few days then. I love you
Enjoy yourselves.x

As well as “enjoying ourselves” we also have a lot of writing to do and getting in touch with some people.

We will be online as NF is a place we like to visit.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:51 pm

Bill Bryson leads the way.  Smile
Delightful guy that he is, a true Anglophile. cheers

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:55 pm

Syl wrote:I doubt we will hear much from either of you for a few days then. I love you
Enjoy yourselves.x

I really will try to keep this thing up to date with my experiences. The last two visits have been for about 17 days total, so there wasn't really much time to do a lot, let alone write about it.

But yeah, edds is right -- we've got work to do while I'm there too.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:59 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Enjoy yourselves.x

I really will try to keep this thing up to date with my experiences. The last two visits have been for about 17 days total, so there wasn't really much time to do a lot, let alone write about it.

But yeah, edds is right -- we've got work to do while I'm there too.

We are obviously all dead interested in what you do, where you visit, what you learn about us etc.
This visit is longer, so you have more time to get the feel of the place, and hopfully write some interesting stuff that people may buy?
Good luck.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:06 am

All the best for your time here, make the most of it and enjoy.
(there's a petition on the online petition thing, for a couple in the same situation as yourselves, maybe if enough people in the same situation got together your cases may carry more weight.)

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Vintage wrote:All the best for your time here, make the most of it and enjoy.
(there's a petition on the online petition thing, for a couple in the same situation as yourselves, maybe if enough people in the same situation got together your cases may carry more weight.)

Do you have the link for that, Flix?
(I really must get out of the habit of using your old name..)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:51 pm

I put it in my favourites list but can't find it, I'll keep looking.
Call me what you like, including stupid for not finding this.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:51 pm

Its on : Change.org
Browse: Scrap minimum income requirements

The whole thing is: Stop tearing families apart based on earnings - scrap minimum income requirements
Petition by Anthony Duffy - Edinburgh

There are quite a lot of others from everywhere

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:04 pm

Vintage wrote:Its on :       Change.org
Browse:      Scrap minimum income requirements

The whole thing is: Stop tearing families apart based on earnings - scrap minimum income requirements

Here you go Vintage

https://www.change.org/p/sajid-javid-stop-tearing-families-apart-based-on-earnings-scrap-minimum-income-requirement?signed=true

I have signed, so thanks for the heads up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:09 pm

My advice to Ben and Eddie, is you should contact this couple and also share your story with them. The more people share how they are being denied a basic human right to be together in love. Is so important that more stories are told on this.

There is a comments section, so please reached out to them

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm

I have also passed on this petition to my family and friends and hope all on this forum do the same.

Lets try and bring about real change here.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Vintage wrote:Its on :       Change.org
Browse:      Scrap minimum income requirements

Signed. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:43 pm

Thanks again Didge.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Vintage wrote:Thanks again Didge.

Thank you Vintage, had no idea about this and thank you for raising awareness on this

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks for the links, I’ll take a look later.
I’m about to head out to the airport soon.

I haven’t been up this early on a Sunday in years!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:41 pm

So just sort of a stream of consciousness thing here since I've only been here two days.

Had to go through airport security twice in Texas because it was the only way to bring my carry-on bag on the plane and not have to pay an extra $100 to check it, thanks to the damn bottle opener and the FUCKING jam jar.

The second leg of my journey was delayed by about a half hour as two computers on the plane had to be rebooted, which doesn't sound good but it must have worked out.

Still landed quite a bit earlier than my itinerary said and when I managed to get wi-fi at Heathrow (no small feat) I messaged Eddie to find that she was nearly there. I'd told her to take her time because I figured it would take me an hour or so to get through customs and claim my bag, but both of those took a total of five seconds.

With minimal drama I located my wife and my stepdaughter and felt happiness flood through me as I saw them in person for the first time in five months. Their smiles gave something to my soul that I hadn't realized it had been lacking.

I haven't been up to much. Got some stuff done around the house while Eddie was at work, getting my stepdaughter's Echo and Eddie's laptop up and running. It felt good as these were both Christmas presents I'd given them.

To my absolute freaking genius of a stepson I gave an odd puzzle that I've only seen at a restaurant in a town in Texas (population 5) that me and Eddie actually mentioned in our book.

When he came down a while later, totally unexpected to me, to show how he'd done on the puzzle, I felt a wonderful and new mix of emotions. Here was a young man who never asked for me to be in his life, who's getting ready to start his real life, and yet a little connection was made as I thought about me and my brother when we were his age, trying to figure out how that damn puzzle works.

My little girl has been so affectionate and sweet, and I love her so much and I kind of hate myself, knowing that I'm not here to stay, that I can't always be here for her.

It's different with Eddie because I know that she can make herself be strong when she has to. I find myself sometimes looking at her and feeling stupid about it but not being able to help feeling so overjoyed at the physical reality of her. I can go over to her and touch her or make a face anytime I want. You don't realize that's a luxury until you do. In fact, it's about 20 till midnight and I'm just going to get up and kiss her forehead and make a stupid face at her. Here it comes, babe.

Another interesting thing that's happening is that your accents are starting to sound sort of ... normal to me. I went shopping today and I just felt like I fit as I walked the roads and interacted with people. It wasn't that anybody went out of their way or anything, and that's the point - I was just another person here, and you can't feel like you belong somewhere until the people there stop making a fuss over you.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 pm

Yeah well, he did set up my Christmas present, a laptop, and managed to lock me out of fucking Facebook. Rolling Eyes
Then locked himself out of his own forum because he brought his own laptop over and couldn’t remember his one password. Razz

Didn’t mention that in your blog, did you, Mr Reilly?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:49 pm

eddie wrote:Yeah well, he did set up my Christmas present, a laptop, and managed to lock me out of fucking Facebook. Rolling Eyes
Then locked himself out of his own forum because he brought his own laptop over and couldn’t remember his one password. Razz

And seeing as you JUST POSTED to Facebook and I did eventually remember my password, you can kiss my sunburned Texan ass! My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! 1366281442
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:54 pm

Ben, I totally get your last sentence, it's great that you have that  feeling, maybe in a couple of months you will feel more Brit than American cheers .
Snow has been forecast overnight for many parts....so keep warm, and write a blog for us all when you have time, your experiences will make us see things we maybe take for granted, through new eyes.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:59 pm

eddie wrote:Yeah well, he did set up my Christmas present, a laptop, and managed to lock me out of fucking Facebook. Rolling Eyes

You two will be bickering as much as I do with OH before two months are up. Rolling Eyes
My one word of advice to  you would be,..for Gods sake dont get the scrabble out. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 am

Syl wrote:Ben, I totally get your last sentence, it's great that you have that  feeling, maybe in a couple of months you will feel more Brit than American  cheers .
Snow has been forecast overnight for many parts....so keep warm, and write a blog for us all when you have time, your experiences will make us see things we maybe take for granted, through new eyes.

Thanks Syl, that means a lot. Our girl isn't feeling very good tonight and there is absolutely nowhere I would rather be. Eddie's going to check with her and then it's apparently time for a little dance break Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 am

Syl wrote:

You two will be bickering as much as I do with OH before two months are up. Rolling Eyes
My one word of advice to  you would be,..for Gods sake dont get  the scrabble out. Razz

Syl, we have always bickered, or full-on fought like two warriors. I wouldn’t have it any other way to be honest.
We detest being bored.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:06 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

My one word of advice to  you would be,..for Gods sake dont get  the scrabble out. Razz

Syl, we have always bickered, or full-on fought like two warriors. I wouldn’t have it any other way to be honest.
We detest being bored.

Hear, hear! Engraving-on-inside-of-ring tings, honey-pie <3
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:09 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Syl wrote:Ben, I totally get your last sentence, it's great that you have that  feeling, maybe in a couple of months you will feel more Brit than American  cheers .

Thanks Syl, that means a lot. Our girl isn't feeling very good tonight and there is absolutely nowhere I would rather be. Eddie's going to check with her and then it's apparently time for a little dance break Laughing

Fantastic, I always think that those who dance together...**** together.....(add your own word of choice) . Razz

Hope the little one feels better tomorrow.x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

We detest being bored.

In that case....get the scrabble out, it always works for us. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:25 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

We detest being bored.

Ah, a war of words. We like that.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Ah, a war of words. We like that.

Night you two, have fun. I love you
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:34 am

Good on you Ben!

As always, I wish you and Eddie and family the most happiness and good times that is possible for any couple/family to have!

It warms my heart the fact that you are here in UK with Eddie again... and even more so how you sound so happy and comfortable and 'at home' being here among the rest of us Brits in our great country!

As far as I'm concerned, you will always be a positive addition to our population, and most welcome!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:26 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So just sort of a stream of consciousness thing here since I've only been here two days.

Had to go through airport security twice in Texas because it was the only way to bring my carry-on bag on the plane and not have to pay an extra $100 to check it, thanks to the damn bottle opener and the FUCKING jam jar.

The second leg of my journey was delayed by about a half hour as two computers on the plane had to be rebooted, which doesn't sound good but it must have worked out.

Still landed quite a bit earlier than my itinerary said and when I managed to get wi-fi at Heathrow (no small feat) I messaged Eddie to find that she was nearly there. I'd told her to take her time because I figured it would take me an hour or so to get through customs and claim my bag, but both of those took a total of five seconds.

With minimal drama I located my wife and my stepdaughter and felt happiness flood through me as I saw them in person for the first time in five months. Their smiles gave something to my soul that I hadn't realized it had been lacking.

I haven't been up to much. Got some stuff done around the house while Eddie was at work, getting my stepdaughter's Echo and Eddie's laptop up and running. It felt good as these were both Christmas presents I'd given them.

To my absolute freaking genius of a stepson I gave an odd puzzle that I've only seen at a restaurant in a town in Texas (population 5) that me and Eddie actually mentioned in our book.

When he came down a while later, totally unexpected to me, to show how he'd done on the puzzle, I felt a wonderful and new mix of emotions. Here  was a young man who never asked for me to be in his life, who's getting ready to start his real life, and yet a little connection was made as I thought about me and my brother when we were his age, trying to figure out how that damn puzzle works.

My little girl has been so affectionate and sweet, and I love her so much and I kind of hate myself, knowing that I'm not here to stay, that I can't always be here for her.

It's different with Eddie because I know that she can make herself be strong when she has to. I find myself sometimes looking at her and feeling stupid about it but not being able to help feeling so overjoyed at the physical reality of her. I can go over to her and touch her or make a face anytime I want. You don't realize that's a luxury until you do. In fact, it's about 20 till midnight and I'm just going to get up and kiss her forehead and make a stupid face at her. Here it comes, babe.

Another interesting thing that's happening is that your accents are starting to sound sort of ... normal to me. I went shopping today and I just felt like I fit as I walked the roads and interacted with people. It wasn't that anybody went out of their way or anything, and that's the point - I was just another person here, and you can't feel like you belong somewhere until the people there stop making a fuss over you.

Beatiful post and glad you are here Ben, with your family. All having a wonderful time

Happy days

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Good on you Ben!

As always, I wish you and Eddie and family the most happiness and good times that is possible for any couple/family to have!

It warms my heart the fact that you are here in UK with Eddie again... and even more so how you sound so happy and comfortable and 'at home' being here among the rest of us Brits in our great country!

As far as I'm concerned, you will always be a positive addition to our population, and most welcome!

Thank you! That's a really nice thing to say.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Especially from Tommy, he usually wants to get rid of everyone. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Syl wrote:Especially from Tommy, he usually wants to get rid of everyone. Razz

Nah, Tommy is okay. I reckon he’s a big softie really.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 pm

eddie wrote:

I know, I was joking. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:47 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

I know, I was joking. Wink

I know. Sometimes, some things just need to be said. Wink
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Okay, so, haven't updated this in a while because I didn't know what to say, not because nothing's happened. I was embarrassed, to be honest.

Eddie's niece, a really talented young woman, came over to visit and she spent the night (especially after she got drunk) telling me she considers me family. She's really sweet and she showed me a Texas-themed drawing she made for me. Eddie and I stayed up a long time talking to her about a problem she's having with a guy she's been dating.

At some point, I took some exception or other to something Eddie said and she looked at me and said, "He's got the hump now, see?" And I proceeded to make an ass of myself, getting into a huge argument with Eddie right in front of her niece and being really nasty.

The next day I found out that her niece was disgusted with me. We did the thing where people try to move on from the night before even though feelings are still raw, and went through the day fairly okay, besides being tired and a little hung over. Then I got angry again, later the same night, and found myself feeling the same feelings - wondering why I act this way sometimes, wondering if there's something wrong with me, wondering if I see my actions differently than everyone else.

Things have gotten better over the past few days, though. Thankfully. I still feel ashamed and embarrassed about it, but I knew I would either have to talk about it and get past it or keep it to myself and feel like a fake. So there you go.

Oh, and I've come down with an illness; fever, coughing, sinus congestion, general snottiness. Eddie keeps calling it "man-flu" which I find mildly annoying, but I did finally start to feel better today.

Anyway, stay tuned for the next thrilling installment! Razz
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Wow that’s a very honest post. Never expected that.
I fucking love honesty. There’s not enough total honesty in the world.

My niece wasn’t too annoyed actually, she’s rather like me, easy going a bit odd and entirely accepting of people’s feelings - and she really likes you dude - probably because you don’t bullshit nor hide your feelings.

Yeah we argue and fight hard, but we also love, play and laugh hard. I really wouldn’t have you any other way.

And yeah. Man flu. Really. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:19 am

Ben, it takes guts to be so open, I really really admire that. It's often easier for women to share personal stuff, you doing it is a real breath of fresh air.

Anyway.....it seems Eddies niece likes you warts an all.

It's hard being with someone 24/7 when you are both not used to it, people have to adjust to one another....but I bet the good times are far outweighing the bumpy times.
You still have weeks together to have more rows and more fun....enjoy. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next