NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty

+8
Eilzel
Syl
Tommy Monk
Didgee
Victorismyhero
eddie
Vintage
Ben Reilly
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty Empty PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 pm

So I'm back in England already, in what Maddog observed was barely enough time for me to change underwear! (Not only did I change my underwear each of the 16 days I was in Texas, MD, I even began a new job and worked nearly four full-time shifts before quitting -- so there.)

The why is the interesting part of this story, so I'll start there:

It all began on Tuesday of this week, when eddie got a text from our solicitor asking if we both could visit his office later the same day. She explained that I was out of the country until next month, but could we schedule a meeting then?

He rang her straight away, saying basically that I needed to get my ass on a plane as quickly as possible so that we could try an entirely different strategy of getting me legal residency in the UK.

Because of a convergence of factors including the Covid-19 pandemic and Brexit, there now seems to be a unique opportunity to argue before a court that as I've spent most of the past 18 months in the UK, I'm an integral part of my family in the UK and that it's my human right to remain with them.

This argument wouldn't work, obviously, if I hadn't been living this weird back-and-forth life since the last week of 2018. And it wouldn't work without my 8-year-old stepdaughter needing me around to make sure she's fed and safe going to and from school.

So that's what we're going to try now! Our lawyer is a very measured, careful man, and I'm very excited because he's not the type to try to shoot the moon.

Eddie's mother came through with the airfare, and I was back on a now-familiar journey that I found goes much more smoothly when you start by going to the right airport. The entire trip was hitch-free, and I learned I really should stop worrying about the UK authorities letting me back into the country.

I saw eddie again and it was like we'd been separated for a year. I'll leave it at that, actually ...

But from the moment I could see out the windows of Heathrow, I felt calm, like I'd finally come back home.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

eddie, Syl, Maddog and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty Empty Re: PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty

Post by Vintage Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:42 pm

I do hope this will work out ok.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Ben Reilly, eddie and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty Empty Re: PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty

Post by eddie Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Our lawyer says it’s a better shot than meeting the financial requirement, it’s basically a Human Rights move.
We have an appointment with him Monday morning to find out the details.

Fingers crossed!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Ben Reilly and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:49 pm

fingers (and toes) crossed for you
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

eddie and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Didgee Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:So I'm back in England already, in what Maddog observed was barely enough time for me to change underwear! (Not only did I change my underwear each of the 16 days I was in Texas, MD, I even began a new job and worked nearly four full-time shifts before quitting -- so there.)

The why is the interesting part of this story, so I'll start there:

It all began on Tuesday of this week, when eddie got a text from our solicitor asking if we both could visit his office later the same day. She explained that I was out of the country until next month, but could we schedule a meeting then?

He rang her straight away, saying basically that I needed to get my ass on a plane as quickly as possible so that we could try an entirely different strategy of getting me legal residency in the UK.

Because of a convergence of factors including the Covid-19 pandemic and Brexit, there now seems to be a unique opportunity to argue before a court that as I've spent most of the past 18 months in the UK, I'm an integral part of my family in the UK and that it's my human right to remain with them.

This argument wouldn't work, obviously, if I hadn't been living this weird back-and-forth life since the last week of 2018. And it wouldn't work without my 8-year-old stepdaughter needing me around to make sure she's fed and safe going to and from school.

So that's what we're going to try now! Our lawyer is a very measured, careful man, and I'm very excited because he's not the type to try to shoot the moon.

Eddie's mother came through with the airfare, and I was back on a now-familiar journey that I found goes much more smoothly when you start by going to the right airport. The entire trip was hitch-free, and I learned I really should stop worrying about the UK authorities letting me back into the country.

I saw eddie again and it was like we'd been separated for a year. I'll leave it at that, actually ...

But from the moment I could see out the windows of Heathrow, I felt calm, like I'd finally come back home.

Happy for you both mate

Now please stop worrying so much.

Yes I am not in your position, but when people allow the negativity in life to control them. They can create problems for themselves of their own making. By this I mean. You can work yourself up over worry, and allow yourself to get annoyed. This can have a negative effect on those around you. As you can be blind to your own feelings. I am simple saying there is an end goal for you and to have faith in achieving this together

I would concentrate on every single day you are together. Not because you might not be together through stupid laws.But if you waste time an energy worrying. Then you are never truly enjoying your time together

Only concern yourself when the need arises

If you spend your time worrying. Then negative will control all your thinking

You have a heart of gold mate and what is best now is to concentrate on being there for each other

Take each day as it comes, because the reality is. We all only have a limited time on this earth to enjoy time spent together. Hence why its more important that you spend time enjoying this together with someone you love. As the moment you worry. Has a knock on effect to all those around you that you love. It will create a worry in them to, and it will be time lost spent together. Yes its easy for me to say this, but we can be our own worst enemies. As our own fears can control our lives and stop us living being happy with the ones we most love

Stay gold

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie and Victorismyhero like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:58 pm

Words of wisdom, Didge. I'm trying to live more like that.

In fact, I made a little pact with myself -- if I wasn't stopped and grilled at the border, I told myself, I'm going to stop worrying so much and just sort of let the universe take care of me.

So now I have to live up to that Smile

A little anecdote from my journey:

I was seated near a young woman on the first of the two legs of my flight. We didn't speak much, but it was pretty weird when I took a seat on the train at Holburn Station and she sat across from me, with her fiance in tow!

She immediately pointed me out to him and said, "I sat next to him on the airplane from Texas!" So I had to know their story.

Turned out they're engaged; she's first-generation Texan born to Romanian immigrants, and he's Romanian, living in Stratford. They met because their parents are great friends back in Romania, and they're working on a fiancee visa.

They were pretty amazed to find themselves sitting across from another Texan working on a visa with someone who lives fairly close by Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Didgee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:00 pm

P.S.: I shared with them the one thing I know how to say in Romanian, "Du te dracu." They both cracked up. Google it if you like Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Didgee Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:12 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Words of wisdom, Didge. I'm trying to live more like that.

In fact, I made a little pact with myself -- if I wasn't stopped and grilled at the border, I told myself, I'm going to stop worrying so much and just sort of let the universe take care of me.

So now I have to live up to that Smile

A little anecdote from my journey:

I was seated near a young woman on the first of the two legs of my flight. We didn't speak much, but it was pretty weird when I took a seat on the train at Holburn Station and she sat across from me, with her fiance in tow!

She immediately pointed me out to him and said, "I sat next to him on the airplane from Texas!" So I had to know their story.

Turned out they're engaged; she's first-generation Texan born to Romanian immigrants, and he's Romanian, living in Stratford. They met because their parents are great friends back in Romania, and they're working on a fiancee visa.

They were pretty amazed to find themselves sitting across from another Texan working on a visa with someone who lives fairly close by Smile

That is a beautiful and quite (what Eddie would call a cosmic connection Smile ) beautiful story

I mean you are like me ( I think) when we think literally and scientifically about things, but then some things cannot be explained

I know one thing. Love cannot be explained by science. It can only explain how we make fools of ourselves through love.

Where I would rather be a fool in love with someone who shares the same feelings I have.

Which is the reality, you and Eddie have and I think that is magical

I love hearing stories you both replay to the forum

Now this would be a book worth writing of the pain and hurt of what it is like of being apart and having laws place barriers in front of you. In how you both constantly overcome them

You just have to remember one thing Ben

No law or imaginary barriers, will ever stop Eddie loving you and that is all that matters. Just as I know you love her the same

I know you will live up to that. Just remember the story you relayed here about the couple. Anytime you feel any worry come creeping up on you

Hope you both keep the faith in each other

Its not everyday, people can cross thousands of miles to be together and work out this daily when in love

That is truly special

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Ben Reilly and eddie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:34 pm

Back in 'Blighty', eh Ben...!?

What did I say about it not taking long...!?

Welcome back with open arms, big boy...!

lol!

Get yourself a chicken Madras to celebrate with!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

lol!

lol!

Thanks, Tommy! Very nice of you.

We did celebrate with a meal and I did have chicken -- but it was my first time to have jerk chicken, as we ordered from a Caribbean place. Also had some excellent rice and peas and macaroni & cheese, it was fantastic.

We'd been planning jerk chicken for the dinner when I got back since before I left, and oddly enough, one of the dinner choices on my flight back to Texas was jerk chicken. I opted for pasta, as I was not going to try jerk chicken for the first time on an airplane Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Didgee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

lol!

lol!

Thanks, Tommy! Very nice of you.

We did celebrate with a meal and I did have chicken -- but it was my first time to have jerk chicken, as we ordered from a Caribbean place. Also had some excellent rice and peas and macaroni & cheese, it was fantastic.

We'd been planning jerk chicken for the dinner when I got back since before I left, and oddly enough, one of the dinner choices on my flight back to Texas was jerk chicken. I opted for pasta, as I was not going to try jerk chicken for the first time on an airplane Laughing

Whatever floats your boat fella!

My favourite is a decent 'curry goat' or 'cook down chicken'...

I like my food hot and spicy... Just like my women too...!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Hahahahaha, my next selection will definitely be curry goat. I've also upgraded to Dansek when I have Indian curries and I'm definitely looking for the next level after that.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:02 pm

I lived in a small Texas town called Sonora when I was a kid, and they had the weirdest tradition -- once a year, they'd have a town-wide goat barbecue. It was delicious, and you kept eating all day because the smell was literally coming from every direction!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:21 pm

Just had chicken tikka korai and saag aloo and pilau rice... Nice!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:48 pm

Welcome home Ben.....and good luck on Monday to you both.x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Ben Reilly, eddie, nicko and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:56 am

Hope this new route works out for you x
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:09 am

i didn't know you'd been back to texas ben. wishing you the very best for the solicitors meeting.

i know this is a long shot but do you think if i emailed your solicitors supporting your claim and giving my own reasons for it, would it help at all. i know i'm no one important but letters of support from anyone who aleady knows you in England handed into the court might just make a difference.

let me know, i'm more than happy to do this if you think it might have the slightest impact

also great story about the other passenger x

gelico
Forum Detective

Ben Reilly, eddie, Syl, Maddog and Didgee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:26 pm

gelico wrote:

i didn't know you'd been back to texas ben.  wishing you the very best for the solicitors meeting.

i know this is a long shot but do you think if i emailed your solicitors supporting your claim and giving my own reasons for it, would it help at all.  i know i'm no one important but letters of support from anyone who aleady knows you in England handed into the court might just make a difference.

let me know, i'm more than happy to do this if you think it might have the slightest impact

also great story about the other passenger x

Thanks for the offer but no, because it’s an official application they don’t seem to care about “friend’s opinions” etc.

It’s very kind of you, I do appreciate it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:25 pm

In what must be some kind of record, 10 days ago I applied for a UK family visa, and today, my solicitor has told me that I am now a legal resident of the United Kingdom!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:03 pm

Absolutely great news, so happy for both of you....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 pm

Laughing

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:47 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:In what must be some kind of record, 10 days ago I applied for a UK family visa, and today, my solicitor has told me that I am now a legal resident of the United Kingdom!

Congratulations Ben, it's been a long and stressful journey for you both.
I think we should all raise a glass to you tonight. x PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty 630750432
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:46 pm

That's great news. You two deserve to be happy without having to worry about some silly government meddling with your relationship.

Take a few days to celebrate, then start looking for a job on Monday. Wink
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Wonderful news, Ben.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:25 pm

That's great news.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:03 pm

Maddog wrote:That's great news. You two deserve to be happy without having to worry about some silly government meddling with your relationship.  

Take a few days to celebrate, then start looking for a job on Monday.  Wink

Hahaha, I've actually had feelers out for a while 😊
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:11 pm

It’s such a relief.
Weirdly, we always both said that we thought the visa would be approved in October...for no reason whatsoever.

It was approved on the 28th, the same date that my best friend Lisa died three years ago and also six years to the day Ben and I became Facebook friends.

Strange coincidence.

Also, I booked that day off work as the start of a five day paid holiday from work about three months ago....
eddie
eddie

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:18 pm

eddie wrote:It’s such a relief.
Weirdly, we always both said that we thought the visa would be approved in October...for no reason whatsoever.

It was approved on the 28th, the same date that my best friend Lisa died three years ago and also six years to the day Ben and I became Facebook friends.

Strange coincidence.

Also, I booked that day off work as the start of a five day paid holiday from work about three months ago....
Could be Lisa was orchestrating it from above cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:26 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:It’s such a relief.

Strange coincidence.

Could be Lisa was orchestrating it from above cheers

I like to think so Syl. She had a huge, romantic heart I love you
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:39 pm

Beginning early one morning back in July, which was to be my first full day working at Walmart, when eddie called me to tell me that our solicitor said I was needed back in the UK by the end of the week, because he'd come up with a plan to change my visa application from spouse to family, I had a very strong feeling that I was going to get it. I really did think it would be this month as well, for no particular reason.

When we finally got the application off 12 days ago, I still felt it was going to come this month, then I'd tell myself I was being ridiculous because the government advises it could take at least three months for a decision to be rendered. Then, lo and behold, it only took 10 days.

I guess we had a strong body of supporting evidence! Either that or they saw an American with the surname "English" and just felt they had to do it, if only for a laugh Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

eddie and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Beginning early one morning back in July, which was to be my first full day working at Walmart, when eddie called me to tell me that our solicitor said I was needed back in the UK by the end of the week, because he'd come up with a plan to change my visa application from spouse to family, I had a very strong feeling that I was going to get it. I really did think it would be this month as well, for no particular reason.

When we finally got the application off 12 days ago, I still felt it was going to come this month, then I'd tell myself I was being ridiculous because the government advises it could take at least three months for a decision to be rendered. Then, lo and behold, it only took 10 days.

I guess we had a strong body of supporting evidence! Either that or they saw an American with the surname "English" and just felt they had to do it, if only for a laugh Smile
Is your surname really English?
It was fate then......you had to marry an English girl and settle in England, so now the have the hat trick. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 pm

Syl, for goodness sake don’t come up with an English-skating-drivein-movie English themed thing. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:03 am

I could someday be the proprietor of "English's English Pub."

Yes, my surname is English, and that was a hoot when I went to get my biometrics done. One of the security guys said, "They'll whisk you straight through mate!" He was right!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:05 am

Though thanks to my growing understanding of UK slang, if I ever did establish a pub I'd really like to call it "The Poncey Nonce." Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:11 am

eddie wrote:Syl, for goodness sake don’t come up with an English-skating-drivein-movie English themed thing. Rolling Eyes
I'm seeing you in  Union Jack roller skates, red white and blue painted snails....this could really work. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:18 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Syl, for goodness sake don’t come up with an English-skating-drivein-movie English themed thing. Rolling Eyes
I'm seeing you in  Union Jack roller skates, red white and blue painted snails....this could really work. cheers

Oh, for the love of God.... Evil or Very Mad
eddie
eddie

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:18 am

Ben Reilly wrote:Though thanks to my growing understanding of UK slang, if I ever did establish a pub I'd really like to call it "The Poncey Nonce." Laughing

Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:28 am

Ben Reilly wrote:Though thanks to my growing understanding of UK slang, if I ever did establish a pub I'd really like to call it "The Poncey Nonce." Laughing
Have you considered a drive through pub?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:42 am

with union flag snails
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Ben Reilly, eddie and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:44 am

To steal a joke from my wife, I bet people will flock from literally yards around to come to the drive-through Poncey Nonce pub and ogle our patriotic snails cheers
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:46 am

Victorismyhero wrote:with union flag snails

Please Vic, don’t encourage Ben and Syl. They get very silly this time of night with their stupid ideas. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:52 am

eddie wrote:
Victorismyhero wrote:with union flag snails

Please Vic, don’t encourage Ben and Syl. They get very silly this time of night with their stupid ideas. Rolling Eyes
PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty 3201073460
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:51 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I could someday be the proprietor of "English's English Pub."

Yes, my surname is English, and that was a hoot when I went to get my biometrics done. One of the security guys said, "They'll whisk you straight through mate!" He was right!

Hahaha...good thing your name isn't Jimmy Irish.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 pm

Haven't posted on this one much lately! I think it's probably because, somewhat sadly, I'm getting pretty used to it over here. England was always sort of a magical place to me before, now it's home -- often great, but also often just where I live.

I did want to share this, though -- I was counted on my first-ever UK census recently, which is pretty cool to a government nerd like me. And in what I take to be a proud tradition of taking the piss out of the UK census, I listed my "preferred national identity" to be "Texan British." PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty 1f60e
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:55 pm

You're one of us now dude!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:09 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

You know, it's a process, but I do find myself reacting to things and even talking much more like an English person than I used to do.

Never in my life would I have predicted, for example, that I'd one day salivate at the promise of a "sarnie" from eddie Laughing In Texas we just call them sandwiches, or in some extreme and annoying cases, "sammiches."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:11 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Haven't posted on this one much lately! I think it's probably because, somewhat sadly, I'm getting pretty used to it over here. England was always sort of a magical place to me before, now it's home -- often great, but also often just where I live.

I did want to share this, though -- I was counted on my first-ever UK census recently, which is pretty cool to a government nerd like me. And in what I take to be a proud tradition of taking the piss out of the UK census, I listed my "preferred national identity" to be "Texan British."  PART THE FOURTH!!!! Of my England diary, or, a Texan in Old Blighty 1f60e

i decided to go carribean on this latest census

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:30 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

You know, it's a process, but I do find myself reacting to things and even talking much more like an English person than I used to do.

Never in my life would I have predicted, for example, that I'd one day salivate at the promise of a "sarnie" from eddie Laughing In Texas we just call them sandwiches, or in some extreme and annoying cases, "sammiches."

Reminds me of a comedy sort of sitcom a few years back called 'two pints of lager and a packet of crisps'... Where one of the main characters (Johnny) was a big fan of egg sandwiches, but was off his food for a bit, so his girlfriend (Janet) tried to spice things up for him by turning it into an offer of a "slutty butty"...!

lol!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:17 pm

So, of course, the story never ends until it finally does ...

I'm still looking for work. I've had a few people come through for me with short-term jobs, but I've applied to literally hundreds of openings and only had two interviews. One I didn't get flat-out, the other I realized I couldn't do because of transport and had to bow out.

I had one other job I applied for that included an assessment to progress to the next stage. I needed to get at least 80 percent on an editorial test that had to do with finance and cryptocurrency, which I know nothing about. I got 79 percent.

Just last week, I had an office job where they contacted me 10 minutes after I applied to ask if the commute would be too bad for me. I said no, it would take 30-45 minutes to get there. Then they asked if I could do an interview the next day, but I didn't see the message for five hours because I was busy.

I got back to them and let them know my availability. I still haven't heard back from them.

I think that because it's much harder to get fired in the UK, that's created a situation where it's also much harder to get hired. I'm just looking for a chance to work my ass off and keep my family from struggling financially.

Also, there's the matter of the pandemic making it harder to find a job, since there are so many other people looking. And not having a car or being a British citizen has cut me off from other job possibilities.

But it's been hard, really hard. I've never been jobless this long in my life -- the only other time I've been unemployed before, I found another job within a month.

Frankly, it's depressing to get so many rejection emails, and to get my hopes up only to have them dashed. Some companies have rejected my application literally hours after I sent it. At times, silly I know, but it's made me question whether I have anything to offer an employer any more.

Ah well. I know this won't last forever, but it sort of feels like it already has.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Didgee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Didgee Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:51 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:So, of course, the story never ends until it finally does ...

I'm still looking for work. I've had a few people come through for me with short-term jobs, but I've applied to literally hundreds of openings and only had two interviews. One I didn't get flat-out, the other I realized I couldn't do because of transport and had to bow out.

I had one other job I applied for that included an assessment to progress to the next stage. I needed to get at least 80 percent on an editorial test that had to do with finance and cryptocurrency, which I know nothing about. I got 79 percent.

Just last week, I had an office job where they contacted me 10 minutes after I applied to ask if the commute would be too bad for me. I said no, it would take 30-45 minutes to get there. Then they asked if I could do an interview the next day, but I didn't see the message for five hours because I was busy.

I got back to them and let them know my availability. I still haven't heard back from them.

I think that because it's much harder to get fired in the UK, that's created a situation where it's also much harder to get hired. I'm just looking for a chance to work my ass off and keep my family from struggling financially.

Also, there's the matter of the pandemic making it harder to find a job, since there are so many other people looking. And not having a car or being a British citizen has cut me off from other job possibilities.

But it's been hard, really hard. I've never been jobless this long in my life -- the only other time I've been unemployed before, I found another job within a month.

Frankly, it's depressing to get so many rejection emails, and to get my hopes up only to have them dashed. Some companies have rejected my application literally hours after I sent it. At times, silly I know, but it's made me question whether I have anything to offer an employer any more.

Ah well. I know this won't last forever, but it sort of feels like it already has.

Don't give up hope mate, I am sure a job for you is only around the corner.

Sometimes we have to take two steps back to go one step forward when it comes to jobs

So never lose the faith mate

As I remember being made redundant years back and took a temp role in a large company doing manual work. Once in the door, other opportunities opened up and within 6 months I applied for a roll within planning and was accepted.

Maybe expand out on different jobs, you may feel you would not do well at or even pick to apply for. You maybe surprised how you may well excel at

The key is getting inside the door and its then down to us, once inside their doors. To further ourselves and prove to companies our worth.

As someone who has hired many people in my time working, the key that many people look for in someone is the passion they have for the work they are doing

I have faith in you mate, and in time your time will come. The key is to remain positive and optimistic.

Stay Gold

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next