NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Part human, part monkey hybrid embryo

+2
HoratioTarr
Andy
6 posters

Go down

Part human, part monkey hybrid embryo  Empty Part human, part monkey hybrid embryo

Post by Andy Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:48 am

Dangerous road to go down.
Already recruited by the Proud Boys.

https://inews.co.uk/news/analysis/part-human-part-monkey-embryo-raises-serious-moral-questions-959240?ito=social_ifb_theipaper&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1618526897
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Part human, part monkey hybrid embryo  Empty Re: Part human, part monkey hybrid embryo

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:00 pm

I think it's morally wrong.   Nature doesn't allow cross species breeding, and there'll be a reason for it.  There has to be equal chromosomes for this to even have a chance of happening.  Horses have 64 chromosomes and donkeys 62, so when the two breed their mule offspring ends up with 63. Which makes it impossible for them to divide evenly into two. Nature knows that if these defective cells fuse with those of another mule, the resulting embryo is likely to have crucial chunks of DNA missing and will be deformed or aborted.   This is why mules are sterile.

To mess with this is just ghastly.  

It'll be wide open to abuse.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Tommy Monk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Part human, part monkey hybrid embryo  Empty Re: Part human, part monkey hybrid embryo

Post by Maddog Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:03 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:I think it's morally wrong.   Nature doesn't allow cross species breeding, and there'll be a reason for it.  There has to be equal chromosomes for this to even have a chance of happening.  Horses have 64 chromosomes and donkeys 62, so when the two breed their mule offspring ends up with 63. Which makes it impossible for them to divide evenly into two. Nature knows that if these defective cells fuse with those of another mule, the resulting embryo is likely to have crucial chunks of DNA missing and will be deformed or aborted.   This is why mules are sterile.

Sounds like the plot for a bad sci fi movie.

Just because science can do it, doesn't mean they should.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:06 pm

This is the start of a slippery slope.

My logic tells me that this probably isn’t the first time they’ve done something like this, but it’s the first time we have heard about it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:25 pm

We are doing it all the time, with agriculture.  Take peanuts, a hearty legume that delivers oil and protein.
https://wildpeanutlab.uga.edu/files/2018/08/2008-Burow-Genomics-of-Peanut-Chapter.pdf

My daughter is allergic to peanuts, and when the genome started appearing in corn, it became a real problem.  What else have they crossed with peanuts.

Some states have begun to regulate...at least with labelling.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:31 pm

Maddog wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I think it's morally wrong.   Nature doesn't allow cross species breeding, and there'll be a reason for it.  There has to be equal chromosomes for this to even have a chance of happening.  Horses have 64 chromosomes and donkeys 62, so when the two breed their mule offspring ends up with 63. Which makes it impossible for them to divide evenly into two. Nature knows that if these defective cells fuse with those of another mule, the resulting embryo is likely to have crucial chunks of DNA missing and will be deformed or aborted.   This is why mules are sterile.

Sounds like the plot for a bad sci fi movie.

Just because science can do it, doesn't mean they should.

Was just about to say the same thing.

I think the plan though is to work out how to do it and then try creating animals that we can harvest organs from that can be successfully used as transplants for ill humans.

Although I'm not sure that reason is justification for doing it either.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie and Maddog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:03 am

Tommy Monk wrote:I think the plan though is to work out how to do it and then try creating animals that we can harvest organs from that can be successfully used as transplants for ill humans.

It's a possibility. They are already doing it with plants.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:55 pm

eddie wrote:This is the start of a slippery slope.

My logic tells me that this probably isn’t the first time they’ve done something like this, but it’s the first time we have heard about it.

And/or it's getting more successful
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:52 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:This is the start of a slippery slope.

And/or it's getting more successful

Worryingly so.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down